7 day rule for NY RPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys utilize the 7 day rule? My prof said u can do upto 7 day fill on the "life of the prescription" , i'm guessing the therapy but some interpret that as 30 day, for example as life of the rx. Do you hold pts to the day in regards to controls?

I was figuring this out but I think I confused myself. If an rx was filled on the 15th and it was a 30 day month, they are due to pick up ON the 15th, they are completely out by the 15th. But if its a 31 day month, pick up on the 14th? Is that correct? If someone filled it early like due on the 15th but picked up on the 10th, we would just say they are 5 days early.Do we count the day its due as a day early?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Add 24 hours for each day from the day it was picked up last and you will get your answer when it is due.

For example for a 2 days supply Rx filled on 15th at 2 pm + 24 hour + 24 hour = can filled again on the 17th at 2 pm.

Reactions: 1 users
Most pharmacies I've worked in have a 10% rule. So that means 3 days early on 30 day supply and 9 days on 90 days. There are only 2 ways we deviate from this. First, the prescriber notes on the RX that the RX must last a certain amount of time before refill or the insurance company denies the RX for being to early. If it is a non-control and patient wants to pay for it out of pocket such as Prilosec then we do it but if its a control then they can come back at that date to be filled or if we are closed that day then we ask them to contact a pharmacy that will be open and initiate a transfer before we close. Someone is always going to give you the excuse they "will be out of town" and this policy has always worked. And yes we start counting the day that the medicine was picked up but some start counting the day after. Everywhere you work will have a little different way of doing it so I just say ask the PIC and follow their lead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish we had rules like that... we're pretty much told if it goes through insurance and it's not too soon by their standards to fill it. 5 days early max for cash paying patients.

Most pharmacies I've worked in have a 10% rule. So that means 3 days early on 30 day supply and 9 days on 90 days. There are only 2 ways we deviate from this. First, the prescriber notes on the RX that the RX must last a certain amount of time before refill or the insurance company denies the RX for being to early. If it is a non-control and patient wants to pay for it out of pocket such as Prilosec then we do it but if its a control then they can come back at that date to be filled or if we are closed that day then we ask them to contact a pharmacy that will be open and initiate a transfer before we close. Someone is always going to give you the excuse they "will be out of town" and this policy has always worked. And yes we start counting the day that the medicine was picked up but some start counting the day after. Everywhere you work will have a little different way of doing it so I just say ask the PIC and follow their lead.
This is not an insightful response to a 3 year old conversation about a NY state law.

What do you do for cash patients?

Don't have cash patients for controlled substances. Only instance when I accept cash is when their insurance is down (existing customer with history) or if the reimbursement from insurance is lower than cost (in the second case, I won't bill the insurance at all).

Don't have cash patients for controlled substances. Only instance when I accept cash is when their insurance is down (existing customer with history) or if the reimbursement from insurance is lower than cost (in the second case, I won't bill the insurance at all).

Seriously?

I wonder where all the depressed, anxious hipsters with no insurance and rich parents fill their scripts.

Reactions: 1 user