5th states passes prescriptive authority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious: how long do you think a course needs to be in order to prescribe a narrow set of medications? Two years of psychopharmacology, while nowhere near comprehensive, seems typical for most of these post-doctoral M.S. programs. Do you think having psychologists do the equivalent of a psychopharm fellowship would be more effective?

Not oppositional, just trying to understand perspectives.

From an outsider's perspective, medicine and patients are very rarely on a "narrow set of medications." You have to take into account possible adverse reactions with other medications, chronic conditions, etc. So, one can't just study a few psychopharm meds and be able to practice competently, in my relatively uninformed opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From an outsider's perspective, medicine and patients are very rarely on a "narrow set of medications." You have to take into account possible adverse reactions with other medications, chronic conditions, etc. So, one can't just study a few psychopharm meds and be able to practice competently, in my relatively uninformed opinion.

From an insider's perspective, while this is somewhat true, you are assuming that this is already being competently done by available prescribes. On about a weekly basis, I can tell you that is not so. Also, you'd be amazed at how often pharmacists have to contact prescribers to inform them that their prescribed meds or doses would likely kill a person.

Reactions: 1 users
From an insider's perspective, while this is somewhat true, you are assuming that this is already being competently done by available prescribes. On about a weekly basis, I can tell you that is not so. Also, you'd be amazed at how often pharmacists have to contact prescribers to inform them that their prescribed meds or doses would likely kill a person.

Agreed. I see this often as well but I'm not sure one equals the other. I meant to simply point out that prescribing competently is far more difficult that people give it credit for. But I agree with your point that perhaps prescribing psychologists won't do any worse than what already exists...but I have trouble with that being acceptable. Fair point though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious: how long do you think a course needs to be in order to prescribe a narrow set of medications? Two years of psychopharmacology, while nowhere near comprehensive, seems typical for most of these post-doctoral M.S. programs. Do you think having psychologists do the equivalent of a psychopharm fellowship would be more effective?

Not oppositional, just trying to understand perspectives.
It's not the psychiatry drugs that are the problem, it's the everything else. I'd say a year of general pathophysiology and pharmacology followed by a year of psychopharmacology would be sufficient, if they were actual in-depth courses and not glorified night school.

Bad prescribers that are fully trained doubt justify prescribers that are even more loosely trained.

It's not the psychiatry drugs that are the problem, it's the everything else. I'd say a year of general pathophysiology and pharmacology followed by a year of psychopharmacology would be sufficient, if they were actual in-depth courses and not glorified night school.

From my perspective, that seems reasonable.

I don't think the issue is prescribing per se, but rather the more complex responsibilities that [should] accompany prescribing - things like managing risk/benefit related to medical comorbidities, rare side effects, drug interactions, monitoring higher-risk patients, etc.

I don't think the issue is prescribing per se, but rather the more complex responsibilities that [should] accompany prescribing - things like managing risk/benefit related to medical comorbidities, rare side effects, drug interactions, monitoring higher-risk patients, etc.

Should being the key word here :)

I agree with this, though implementing it effectively is the tricky part.

Meh, As I've said before, monkeys with well tuned algorithms can manage medications.
That statement shows just how little you understand general pathophysiology and pharmacology. Medicine is far less algorithmic than you would believe because people aren't machines and tend to not for very well into boxes (general medicine is very similar to psychiatry in that regard). That is why most of us laugh it off any time some premed mentions computers replacing physicians- two thirds of doctoring is proper assessment and everything leading up to treatment, picking the right treatment is a fraction of the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
That statement shows just how little you understand general pathophysiology and pharmacology. Medicine is far less algorithmic than you would believe because people aren't machines and tend to not for very well into boxes (general medicine is very similar to psychiatry in that regard). That is why most of us laugh it off any time some premed mentions computers replacing physicians- two thirds of doctoring is proper assessment and everything leading up to treatment, picking the right treatment is a fraction of the job.

Nah, just shows how little you understand about clinical vs actuarial outcomes and accuracy.

Nah, just shows how little you understand about clinical vs actuarial outcomes and accuracy.
I fully understand the statistical argument, but it throws patients under the bus that don't need to be there. In medicine, we have a word for those patients- malpractice litigants. Following algorithms doesn't absolve you of the errors you make on the great number of people that fall outside of them.

I fully understand the statistical argument, but it throws patients under the bus that don't need to be there. In medicine, we have a word for those patients- malpractice litigants. Following algorithms doesn't absolve you of the errors you make on the great number of people that fall outside of them.

Clinical judgment throws far more of those patients under whatever metaphorical bus we are talking about.

I believe, "basic pathophysiology training" is covered in the psych RxP training courses.
Some of the prescriber courses I've seen discussed in the past are as short as 100 hours. Not semester hours, literal hours. I put in more hours than that in one week of OB/Gyn in medical school lol.

Clinical judgment throws far more of those patients under whatever metaphorical bus we are talking about.
Poor clinical judgment, sure. You need to understand the evidence and understand its limitations in relation to your individual patient to properly apply it. That is one of the things non-physicians misunderstand about EBM, it isn't perfect because the studies it is based on always have limitations.

I don't think non-physicians misunderstand that at all. We know very well that there are false positives and false negatives. We actually know how to conduct and evaluate research. What most people don't appreciate is that they believe that their clinical judgment is better than an algorithm, where in the vast majority of cases, it is not. The people who have delusional beliefs that what they do is an "art" rather than a science.

Hey, feel free to take Step 1 after your course if you want to go that route. Then I'd be fine with whatever model of training you choose.
Sounds like a good plan to me. If a psychologist can't demonstrate the acquisition of the basic knowledge that is expected of a med student, then they probably shouldn't be mucking around with this. Maybe the NPs and PAs should have to pass this too since everyone is calling them doctor these days.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think non-physicians misunderstand that at all. We know very well that there are false positives and false negatives. We actually know how to conduct and evaluate research. What most people don't appreciate is that they believe that their clinical judgment is better than an algorithm, where in the vast majority of cases, it is not. The people who have delusional beliefs that what they do is an "art" rather than a science.
This isn't about false positives and negatives. This is about algorithms not appropriately taking into account things about patients at all. A good example of this is early management of patients with high blood pressure- the first protocols were the same for everyone. We figured a patient is a patient is a patient. Clever clinicians noticed that certain patients were not responding to the protocol, and were ending up on far more meds than expected. The problem? The original studies didn't take into account race, and it turns out that entire classes of medication didn't work all that well on African Americans. That's why we prescribe CCBs and thiazides as first line in AAs, but protocols are different for whites. Blindly following protocols neglects study flaws that result in large errors such as this that are far more than "false positives/negatives." You'd say doctors that were astute enough to notice these problems were neglecting standard of care and practicing bad medicine because they weren't following protocol, but the "art" of medicine people speak of is actually more of properly interpreting data beyond a cursory read of the protocol or study and using that data to properly serve your patients.

Hence the fact that algorithms are updated based on new outcomes. As long as the research kept on, they would likely keep outperforming clinicians. I'll trust research and adaptive algorithms over "intuition" and doing things they way they've always done it. Intellectually masturbate all you want, doesn't change the fact that clinical judgment generally never wins out over actuarial.

Reactions: 2 users
As long as the research kept on, they would likely keep outperforming clinicians. I'll trust research and adaptive algorithms over "intuition" and doing things they way they've always done it.
Ok, so what algorithms do we have for all psychiatric conditions?

The learning of med school is much more than the first 2 years of classroom based learning. The next 2 years, with clinical rotations, are when a lot of the learning happens, and students are not missing those.
Makes sense. How about the NPs and PAs? They do 18-24mon of classes and then clinicals.

I'm only in my first year of my doctorate program, but a lot of students are saying if California passes this law then they'll take 2 additional years after graduating to earn the degree needed to prescribe. If that was to happen, would you recommend it for the ultimate goal of private practice? Is it worth the time and money? I've heard it could help clients but psychiatrists can do that with their prescription pads so what is the push, is it that psychologists in private practice earn more if they prescribe?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also difficult to measure complications when psychologists have collaborating physicians who are the deeper pockets that get sued when midlevels mess up.