Compilation 509+ MCAT Study Habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supremus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Use the template below:

1) Your individual scores and composite score
2) The study method used for each section
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
4) Which practice tests did you use? (Optional: include scores)
5) What was your undergraduate major?
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Solution
Use the template below:

1) Scores:
  • C/P: 128
  • CARS: 131
  • Bio: 132
  • Psych: 127
  • Total: 518
  • Overall: I read every page of the review books and took notes for chem and psych, as they were my weakest sections. For any section that I had never gone over in school, I read and took notes (such as the metabolism sections). I would go back and forth with the Kaplan online videos/lessons, their practice problems, and the book in order to really memorize the info
  • Chem/Phys: this was easily my weakest section to begin with, so I went back to the basics (for chem)
  • CARS: the Kaplan tips on how to work with the CARS section were invaluable. Their hour-long MCAT channel...
Before I begin, I had only taken about half of the courses "required" for the MCAT, and I learned all the material using TPR. This advice is for people to see how someone could do the bare minimum it takes to get a 509, so if you want to get higher, do more than this lol.

1) Score: 509; 128/126/127/128
2) Method: I'm just at the score I need to be to comment on this section, so I'm going to level with all of you- I really only studied over the course of the month and did mostly practice tests. After the practice tests, I reviewed all the concepts I didn't understand using TPR and Khan Academy videos.
3) Materials: TPR only. I'm thinking it hurt me actually. The CARS section was SO MUCH EASIER on the practice tests than on the real MCAT!!!! Heed my advice- DO KAPLAN CARS. TPR was great for Chem/physics scores though!!! Oh and
4) Practice tests
I did about 9 TPR tests. My lowest score was a 498, highest was a 505. Chem/physics was consistently my lowest score and I never made above a 125 when studying with TPR. If anyone's interested I can post the breakdowns.
5) Major: Psychology
6) TIPS: Okay- I still need to take half of the courses the MCAT requires you to take. I hadn't taken ANY Ochem, never took a Biochem course in my life, and hadn't finished physics. I learned everything there is to know through TPR, and really tried to focus on those concepts while practicing. It is manageable, if you dedicate your time well. I also stimulated every single practice test like I was taking the real MCAT, which really helped endurance.
7) Length of Studying: I'm not very disciplined, so naturally I crammed all my studies into the Christmas Break before my MCAT exam. I had a solid four weeks to learn half the material on the exam and practice. By just making sure every day I was doing SOMETHING MCAT related for at least 10 hours that day (I took Friday nights off though), I was able to do as much as I can leading into the exam.

So my advice to you is: If you want to do better than a 509 on your MCAT exam, study two months, make sure you've taken at least ochem, and really try to mimic the test when you take it. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
So i used TPR and kaplan (and some khan academy videos) the first time i took it and got a 495. I plan on retaking it. I've taken all the classes (pre req) any tios on what other study sources i should use? Or what other full length exams i should use? Also what's a good strategy update? Should i review everything again then when i get to my weak areas study extra hard? Should i only focus on my weak areas? Thanks! (btw i got about 2 months of prep time) also i got a fire burning like none other sooo determined to get a 509 on the next one.

So i used TPR and kaplan (and some khan academy videos) the first time i took it and got a 495. I plan on retaking it. I've taken all the classes (pre req) any tios on what other study sources i should use? Or what other full length exams i should use? Also what's a good strategy update? Should i review everything again then when i get to my weak areas study extra hard? Should i only focus on my weak areas? Thanks! (btw i got about 2 months of prep time) also i got a fire burning like none other sooo determined to get a 509 on the next one.
Prepare to practice for more than 4 weeks and spend at minimum 8 hours a day of focused concentration. I found it very helpful to study in the way the MCAT was structured- 30 min breaks every 3 hours, 10 mins breaks every 1.5 hours, etc. Don't get bogged down with small concepts if you don't have enough time. Focus more time on Biology and Chemistry than Ochem and Physics. Do at minimum 3 CARs passages a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah literally now it's just mcat mcat mcat all day. But yeah i know what you mean. I didnt do to bad on the bio/gen chem and bio/biochem 126 and 127. (Obvi would have liked higher scores but it's not "too" bad). Any other study materials?

I'm in need of more practice exams, once i start that phase of studying. So far i used TPR and kaplan and one real aamc. Other suggestions?

I'm in need of more practice exams, once i start that phase of studying. So far i used TPR and kaplan and one real aamc. Other suggestions?
That should be good. I used only TPR (I bought the package) and that gave me like 10 practice exams. I really liked TPR exams because they were the most difficult, and I felt like if I could get accustomed to taking those tests, the real MCAT will be a piece of cake. And yeah, it really is practice all day, but I tried to take at least Friday or Saturday evenings off, so I didn't drive myself insane. Youtube videos are very fun and nice, and make everything better. Once you get into the swing of studying after a week, it gets easy

1) Test Score 520 || 131 / 129/ 130/ 130

In general I am a big idea/visual/kinesthetic learner. A normal day for me would be to wake up at 7:30am, work out, eat, relax until 9:30, before I did an hour of cars practice, 1-2 hours of psych review, and then whatever topic I had planned until about 7:00pm. I had a break day every 5 days first, but then gradually every 9-10 days. A really important part of my routine was how I started imy day and what really helped was that the only technology I would allow myself to use in the morning was music. No phone, no social media, no email, or youtube. It helped mentally prepare me for the day and keep me focused. I used a mix of anki flashcards, notetaking, whiteboard doodling, and did LOTS of practice problems/passages. The single, best way to prepare for this test is getting the content review out of the way early so that you can spend the remaining 1-2 months practicing and honing your test-taking/reading skill. I used mainly AAMC practice material and all the full lengths I could get my hands on to help me with this. By the time I took the real thing, I had done about 14 full lengths, spread out about every 1-2 weeks, in addition to the Qbanks and extra problems from TBR and TPR for solidifying content. I always did my full lengths under strict timed conditions, but all extra practice I took my time, focusing more on understanding the problems/passages over pace.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
PS and BS: primarily EK and Khan Academy/Wikipedia for supplementation.
Psych/Soc: Khan Academy, Wikipedia, and TPR
CARS: EK 1001, TPR Verbal Workbook

Additional Practice: AAMC, Kaplan, TBR, TPR, EK, Khan Academy (basically anything I could get my hands on). I found that out of the old material, TBR and TPRH passages were very much relevant!

4) Which practice tests did you use? (In order taken)
TPR Demo Test 500/123/125/125/127
Kaplan FL1 500/125/125/126/124
Kaplan FL2 503/124/128/126/125
Kaplan FL3 508/126/125/126/131
TPR FL1 509/126/128/127/128
TPR FL2 511/126/127/130/129
TPR FL3 508/126/123/126/131
TPR Review FL1 507/128/125/126/128
TPR Review FL2 510/128/128/127/127
AAMC Sample 520/129/131/130/130
EK FL3 504/126/124/129/125
EK FL4 506/129/124/126/127
AAMC Scored 519

13 tests taken total

Biology (worth noting that I took a lot of humanities classes in college, which helped with CARS).

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Before you start studying, do your research, gather your resources, and make up a rough timeline that indicates break days, full lengths day, review days etc., It helped a lot to get all of this out of the way before I started studying, as it kept my mind constantly on the end-goal, but in a constructive and very structured way.

Practice a lot! Surround yourself with good people. Eat well and exercise (or do stretches during breaks).
I'm a nontraditional student. 2 years out of college, first time test taker, never applied. It's been a long time since I sat in a lecture hall and took a test. My support system (family, bf, friends) helped a lot with keeping me sane and grounded. Also, I had an "MCAT mentor" who had taken the test before and would slap sense into me whenever I freaked out. Reg, you are awesome!

Technically started mid-September, but I didn't really find a rhythm until October. So I'd say October to late January (3-4 months). I highly recommend giving yourself an extra month of "cushion" if you can. Something I didn't anticipate was how long it would take for me to get back into the swing of studying and finding methods and resources that worked for me. In the end, it took me 2 full weeks to really get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
Score: 528 (132 on all sections)
Study Material: ExamKrackers 2015 Full Book set, TPR Ultimate Class, AAMC Section banks, AAMC Practice Tests, Khan Academy Psych/Soc Videos
Study Method: I have a huge post but can anyone message me how to make a post so I don't have to repeat everything?? :D
Practice Tests:
Full Length TPR Course 1: 511 à Chem-Phys:129/CARS: 127/Bio:128/Psych-Soc:127

Full Length TPR Course 2: 510 à Chem-Phys:128/CARS:126/Bio:128/Psych-Soc:128

Full Length TPR Course 3: 508 à Chem-Phys:127/CARS:128/Bio:126/Psych-Soc:127

Full Length TPR Course 4:515 à Chem-Phys:130/CARS:127/Bio:130/Psych-Soc:128

AAMC Sample Test % breakdown à Chem-Phys:86%/CARS:94%/Bio:88%/Psych/Soc:90%

AAMC Official Test à Chem-Phys:132/CARS:131/Bio:131/Psych-Soc:129

MCAT Bio Section Bank: Bio:67%/Chemistry:100%/Biochemistry:88%

MCAT Chem-Phys Section Bank: Bio:100%/Chemistry:90%/Biochemistry:83%/Physics:77%

MCAT Psych-Soc Section Bank: Biology:83%/Psychology:68%/Sociology:72%
Undergraduate Major: Neuroscience
Tips: BIOCHEM AND GENETICS. Literally, this makes up so much of the test, it's not even funny. Truly understand these subjects and not just through memorization of bolded terms. If anything at all from here seems hazy, youtube it, khanacademy, textbooks, etc. You MUST know these topics.

Also content review is not that huge. I guarantee so many people out there probably know way more content than I do. It's all about critical reading. You have to be able to parse through passages and extract the necessary information without being overwhelmed by the unfamiliar terms and things like that.
Time Spent Studying: I spent 6 months studying but to be fair, the first 3 months did not help too much. It gave me a good reintroduction to all the topics but it was too much too fast. I did the entire ExamKrackers boxed set in this time and don't remember too much from it.

The fall semester of school from August-December I did TPR. I spent about 2-3 hours a day and simply followed the class outline as well as I could. I couldn't finish all the hw but I did at least half of the assigned hw each week for sure. I also did read the materials, rather than only taking class notes.

The final month, I just did AAMC stuff and this was where I learned the majority of how to prepare for the test. If I could redo it, I'd say to do the section banks first. They are much harder than the real deal and if you learn how to prepare using those section banks, you will be set. Voraciously read up on every topic from the section banks and that'll be a good start. AAMC material by far is most indicative of the real test. No test prep company has gotten as accurate, although ExamKrackers probably has gotten the closest. I would take ExamKrackers full length if I had to redo it.

Reactions: 17 users
Jan 23, 2016 MCAT Taker
Score: 514, 131/127/128/128, 91st percentile

Materials: AAMC Sample, FL, TPR Book + Practice Exams
Practice tests:
Sample: CP 83%/CARS 74%/BB 76%/ PS 78%
TPR 1: 504 127/126/125/126
TPR2: 503 127/125/126/125
TPR3: 505 128/124/126/127

Major: Chemistry
Time spent studying: Spent about 10-20 hrs/week during the summer studying, then about 5-10 hrs/week over the fall semester studying. Spent most of winter break (30-40 hrs a week) doing practice exams and content review.

Method: I spent a lot of time doing content review. Personally, I do not have a lot of struggle with test taking/time management, so learning the content was the most important part of the study plan for me. I would HIGHLY recommend taking all of your premed requisites before taking the MCAT (notably biochemistry, psychology, sociology).

For people who do have trouble with the test taking part, I think that being able to read quickly and skim for important details in a timely manner is imperative to success. I have had a lot of experience in research in analytical chemistry with biochemistry applications, so I have had to read a lot of scientific papers and simplify them down to develop an understanding of the message. I would practice reading scientific literature and just read passages so you can be as quick as possible on the test day. Personally on the test day I finished the CP section with 25 minutes left, CARS with 15 minutes left, BB with 10 minutes left, and PS with 30 minutes left. The only reason my scores weren't higher is because I didn't know certain information that would answer memorization/recall questions.

127/130/129/130 - 516
Chem/Phys: Kaplan books, but they were honestly crap. Should've spent more time self-studying concepts listed in AAMC list.
CARS: Practice sections only - actually my strongest section. Would recommend speed reading practice if you GNBT but otherwise just keep practicing
Bio/Biochem: Princeton Review was great - did all the practice questions along the way, content much more relevant than Kaplan, but Kaplan still good
Psych: Next Step book was hands down the BEST for practice besides official AAMC!! Great explanations. Content review from Kaplan, pretty good, but honestly I think there are probably better books out there. There are a couple concepts I had to look up myself after going through the AAMC list.
Oh. See above :p; Synopsis - Kaplan, PR, NextStep, AAMC
Kaplan, PR, AAMC - Kaplan were useless in terms of similarity, AAMC obviously the best. Section practices should be saved for last so you can really nail down areas of improvement
Bio
Definitely go over the AAMC list provided. Also buy the official guide, useful for understanding and familiarizing. If you choose not to buy any other review material, just buy all the AAMC stuff - it's useful. Also, just don't look at anything the night before the test.
1.5 months COMPLETELY devoted (my winter "break"), but this was my second try. First time around studied for ~2 months

523: 131/132/130/130
This is a retake; previously 516.

C/P: Made a massive study guide by using the Kaplan set to fill out the AAMC content outline. Supplemented with Khan and a physics textbook. Practiced using TPR workbook, Section Bank+Question Packs.
CARS: Was a strength so I never practiced outside of full-lengths.
B/B: Made a massive study guide by using the Kaplan set to fill out the AAMC content outline. Supplemented with Khan and Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews for biochem (GOLD). Practiced using the Section Bank and Question Packs.
P/S: Read through Kaplan's book once. Was relatively fresh off Psych 101. Practiced using the Section Bank.

Content review: Kaplan review set, Khan videos, a physics textbook, Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews for biochem
Practice material: all the released AAMC stuff except for the CARS question packs, TPR science workbook

The 2 AAMC ones. The first one was for my first take and I think the breakdown was something like 78/91/73/89. The scored one was one week before my retake and I got 516.
2 TPR ones. Course Test 1 was for my first take, I got 507. The second one (one of the free ones you get with the books) was for my retake, 510.
The Section Bank is hands-down the best approximation of the real deal, though it is significantly harder. Nothing else gets close. The TPR workbook was great for C/P; the full-lengths were okay but not great.

Biology

It's against the hivemind, but don't be afraid to prioritize content review. It's really important to know your basics. A lot of you are probably good at standardized testing anyway so mimicking testing conditions with practice will be less important.

2-2.5 dedicated months for my first sitting in which I scored 516. Took several months off, then studied ~1 dedicated month for my retake. The first time, I didn't actually finish my content review outline and had very little practice. The second time, I finished the outline and did most of the aforementioned practice.

Reactions: 1 users
1) 521 (C/P 132, Reading 127, Bio 130, Psych 132)

Here are my tips:
-Don't stress out about this test. It's just a test.
-Take it easy on the studying, but make sure you plan ahead. I basically studied for this test an average of an hour a day over the past few months. I spent $20 in test prep for the MCAT Mastery app on iPhone.
-Learn how to skim material. This is done by taking timed practice tests. I didn't do this and I was really caught off-guard and never really finished reading any of the passages during the actual test (as shown by my reading score). There was absolutely no way I could have read every single word on that test on time.
-The more content you know, the easier the test will be. Use flashcard apps like Quizlet or question banks like the MCAT Mastery app to drill yourself until you get higher and higher percentage of questions correct.
-Memorize formulas for physics/chemistry and terms for psych/sociology. Memorize, memorize, memorize.

How I could have improved:
-Taking an actual course/hiring a tutor. I really wished I could ask someone experienced with the test to explain some confusing questions. But honestly saving the money is nice, too.
-By not being completely illiterate about anything other than science.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I could have done better than I did, but am still happy with my score. It means I've got a real chance for MD schools and that's all I was asking for! That being said I'd like to emphasize more what I wish I'd done and less of what I actually did.

What I did: I prepared by reading all of the Kaplan books over a period of about 3.5 months. I focused most on biochem and orgo, thinking that with the changes in the new MCAT pure chem/physics wouldn't be very important. Took good notes and reread them all over about a week. I took my first and only practice test (the official AAMC one) 3 days before my exam, realized that I was way wrong about neglecting chem/phys, spent the next day and a half cramming mirrors/lenses, waves, and electric circuits into my head, took the exam and then died a little after.

What I wish I'd done: Still read Kaplan but been more committed to a set schedule. I work for an airline and take advantage of my travel benefits as often as I can. I probably shouldn't have taken several trips that got in the way of studying for 3+ days each followed by procrastination for another 1-2 days. Finish the books with at least a month left before test day and use the rest of that time for as much practice as possible. Practice, understand what you get wrong and why, review those topics until you know them thoroughly. Utilize other resources. Used Khan Academy for a topic here and there. Physicsclassroom.com is also great. Don't disregard any topic as unimportant or assume something won't show up. Ascribe to the belief that you should be prepared for anything. There will inevitably be topics you spent significant time on that don't show up on your version, but better safe than sorry. My CARS section wasn't even close to as good as I thought I'd do and it seemed really easy to me while I was taking the test... guess everyone else thought it was easy too. As far as psych goes, I still haven't figured that one out. It's a crap shoot what specific terms and theories will be on there. Use your common sense and maybe use resources other than Kaplan for that one. Know a decent amount of sociology too. Chem/phys killed me, felt good about bio, both as expected.

AAMC practice test score seems pretty indicative of real MCAT performance.
Practice : 124/130/127/128= 509
Real: 126/127/128/128= 509

Reactions: 1 user
519: 131/128/132/128

going in, I was strongly aware of the fact that I would not get much opportunity to study. Enrolled full-time and having to work to support myself is not easy. I wish I could have taken a summer to study or just studied during classes but that's never been an opportunity I've been fortunate to have.
That being said my entire review centered on me focusing on my weaknesses.

C/P: Having an science background, I did not even bother touching this except to review optics (lenses, etc.). Whenever I made a mistake in a practice test, I went over it and figured out if it was a content misunderstanding or just an honest mistake. Typically, it was just a mistake because of me not reading the question clearly or something.

CARS: I knew this would suck no matter what I did.

B/B: In the last 3 weeks of my review, I studied this nonstop. I used the Examkrackers like a Bible. I highly recommend this for absolutely all tips and tricks and finer details. Then when doing practice tests, I consulted Kaplan. For example, the kaplan Biochem is rigorous and goes over metabolism and pathways much better and etc.

P/S: Read through examkrackers and used the TPR book (30 bucks-ish).

In all, I felt I could have done better. If i could have taken a summer to actually study chem and phys properly maybe. But I'm satisfied and alright with improving myself extra-curricularly at this stage. nothing I can do about it.

Content review:
C/P - EK
CARS - EK
B/B - EK, Kaplan for spots I encountered in exams that were not covered.
P/S: EK TPR

official guide at the very beginning. used this to decide to forego C/P content review for more psych and B/B review.
TPR practice tests and the AAMC sample and 1 EK ptest.
my scores were notoriously low(~500 and 70%)... except for the aamc sample 86%, which I took in the last week(Monday).

physics, engineering

Practice tests. Go through content review faster. I would spend more than a month or two doing so. Then do practice tests and use your WRONG AND RIGHT(for the wrong reasons) answers to inform what you need to review. It's that simple. Do this using all AAMC material you can gather.

~ 2 months. 1 month of content review for psych and 2 weeks of CR for biology. each weekend I did a practice test and in the last week I took the sample test.

There is nothing more important that understanding your weaknesses and strengths. I do not believe that any prep company is more better than any other.. especially for the psych section (although I would still recommend EK since it is more to the point and leaves out superfluous information you can google and BIOCHEM which I addressed with Kaplan's biochem book..) My advice is review content and then do practice tests. Improve areas you're weak in. If you underperform in a specific section then take a break and study that section. (master it!)

goodluck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
128/128/128/128 -- 512
Read EK two times thoroughly and then skimmed again last minute for weaknesses. Read Psych guide below on the train to and from work for about a week.
Chem/Phys: EK and KA
CARS: Practice only. Expected this section and psych to save me. But one thing I do for this section is nail down the mood/main opinion of the author. Knowing that will help answer a large portion of the questions.
B/B: EK. KA and Youtube for Biochemistry.
Psych: THIS GUIDE. Seriously y'all. This is all I studied and I annotated a little. It was a lifesaver with my 5 week time crunch.
AAMC Material only. Minus the Q-Packs.
Official Guide: 74% Overall
Sample Test: 58%/92%/80%/80%
Scored Test: 506 (126/127/127/126)
Biology
Buy all of the AAMC material and review every missed question/why you missed it thoroughly if you have the time. Also, don't neglect Physics.
Oh and I had flashcards for the AAs, nucleotides, etc on my phone. So i studied that whenever I had any free time.
This time - 5 weeks with a FT job
First time - 2 months (28 - 8/12/8) / Second - about the same as first but half-assed (27 - 8/10/9)

Reactions: 2 users
1) Scores 519 (98%) - 130/131/128/130

2) Study Methods + Materials
Including materials (Princeton Review self-guided) here because it makes sense. I also took Biochem and Physics 2 (electricity & magnetism) the semester preceding it.

C/P - the TPR books were pretty much all I used here and I found them to be perfectly adequate for physics/chemistry. In fact, I'd say their practice questions overprepared me somewhat - I thought C/P was by far my worst subject until I took the AAMC FL. The books did NOT prepare me for biochem; the metabolism section was pretty much a blank glycolysis pathway with glucose at the top and pyruvate at the bottom and a note that said I wouldn't have to memorize it. It seems like they may have fixed that for their 2016 line, but it made me hesitant to recommend. Taking biochemistry the semester before prepared me well. Also, taking physics the semester before was nice because I used those sections to study for the class and vice versa.

CARS - I'm not sure how to feel about this, because TPR did prepare me somewhat (and my score reflects this), but overall I found their passages to be dense and convoluted and not at all like what I saw on the actual exam. Also, TPR's strategy is very narrow and involves looking for specific tricks and downfalls. Two weeks before the test date I switched to exclusively using the AAMC free online practice passages, a few a day, and I believe that's what really pushed my score over the edge. I think TPR did give me a solid base because there was absolutely no way I was falling for the tricks they said to watch out for, but I would definitely complement with the AAMC.

B/B - Again, the books did not prepare for biochemistry. They are very physio based in the 60% of the bio book was devoted to different organ systems. While studying I thought this was overkill but I came to appreciate it when I knew every in and out of the physio questions they gave. They don't have enough emphasis on experimental procedure and results, which surprised me when I went to take the FL. I'm in a research-based major and have spent a lot of time analyzing scientific journals and laboratory techniques so they didn't throw me too much, but again I highly recommend using the AAMC questions and materials. Two weeks out I went through the entire subject list the AAMC gave to check to make sure everything was covered and as a review, and I think that helped solidify my understanding.

P/S - Do. Not. Use. TPR. Books. I hadn't take a psych class since AP Psych and no sociology at all, so this was rough for me. I had a nice little surprise when I took the AAMC FL two weeks from the test date and had never heard of 4-5 of the terms. I guess this is a common occurrence and it didn't impact my score, but I was livid. After this I switched almost entirely to Khan Academy, which was free but took more time than I wanted. I spent most of the week leading up to the test cramming Khan Academy psych videos and using the AAMC subject list. Definitely the most stressful period while studying. In retrospect I should have just bought a Kaplan or EK book, but I was scraping bottom on the bank account.

3) Materials Princeton Review Self-Guided study (the online one with no actual teacher, only recorded lectures) + Khan Academy + AAMC materials (see above)

4) Practice Tests
About 7 of the practice tests included with my package. The highest score I got (about 3 weeks out) was a 511; everything before then was in the 505-508 range. I think TPR represented some sections better than others, but either way taking that many absolutely helped me raise my endurance and be calm and focused on the day of the test.

AAMC FL - two weeks out (the unscored one). 80/87/81/73, which I calculated to be around a 511 and not at all representative of the score I actually got. Pretty sure I can owe this to completely ditching my old strategy and rethinking everything I did.

5) Undergrad major
Biomedical Science - pretty much all the premed requirements + a bunch of research-based classes. It has a GREAT in-major pre-health; he's definitely one of the reasons I'm competitive for medical school. Heck, he's the reason I'm still premed.

6) Any other tips
Practice tests, practice tests, practice tests. I was told to take 8 and I think that was the best advice I received during the entire process. Also, make sure your study plan is realistic and you have enough time to get everything done without majorly stressing. I didn't work over break (my "serious" study time) and it was the best decision I could have made.

Also - do NOT listen to only one source. If you're on SDN then you're already doing that, but with my package I sort of got sucked into their world. It's easy to look at your 22 lbs of shiny books and think that they have to know what they're talking about, but like I said above I got a nasty surprise 2 weeks out when I took the AAMC FL. Use as many sources as your can get (for those cash-strapped students out there, Khan Academy and the free AAMC materials online are a great way to diversify). I thought I was being smart by staying off of SDN while studying, and in a way I was because any time you spend on here you are not spending studying, but in retrospect it would have been helpful to check out others' experiences every week or so.

I bought the Princeton Review books in the summer in preparation for a January MCAT with the idea I was going to knock out a lot of content then...that didn't exactly work. But I did "get my feet wet" in that I had started a few sections and taken a couple practice tests several months before taking the exam. Overall I'd estimate that I spent "serious" time studying for about 12 weeks: 6 weeks during the semester (5-10 hrs/week) + 6 weeks over winter break (8+ hours a day, every day; this time also includes the first two weeks of the school semester which I pretty much ignored).

Literally this is the first time I am hearing this :p

Just my experience, and just for psych/soc. After taking the FL I came on here and found several others who had complained about their P/S being inadequate (sorry, I can't find the exact thread). It's entirely possible that they revised it like they did with biochem. Just my 2 cents!

Just my experience, and just for psych/soc. After taking the FL I came on here and found several others who had complained about their P/S being inadequate (sorry, I can't find the exact thread). It's entirely possible that they revised it like they did with biochem. Just my 2 cents!
Even after taking the test, I'm still on the fence about TPR's psych book. I keep recommending it to others cause it's the only thing I'm aware of that is decent, but at the same time, it was definitely not enough. I had to heavily use KA to supplement. At the end of the day however I relied more on process-of-elimination to pass P/S than anything else. Do not underestimate the power of POE lol

Even after taking the test, I'm still on the fence about TPR's psych book. I keep recommending it to others cause it's the only thing I'm aware of that is decent, but at the same time, it was definitely not enough. I had to heavily use KA to supplement. At the end of the day however I relied more on process-of-elimination to pass P/S than anything else. Do not underestimate the power of POE lol
when you say rely heavily on KA to supplement, do you mean doing KA passages or just watching vids? if you did both, which one helped you more?

1) Overall Score: 42 or 525

2) Study Method: The main distinction my study method had with others who prepare for the MCAT is that I rarely used review books. Instead I used the textbooks for the individual courses. I felt that this gave me much more in-depth information which helps me understand the material move, even if it isn’t specifically needed for the MCAT. I also do not enjoy the format that most review books are in, so it was easier studying from a textbook. I didn’t have to review physics at all.

3) Study Materials: I only used some review books at the end of my preparation to reinforce some concepts and do practice tests. Apart from that I just used course textbooks.

5) Undergraduate major: Mathematics and Physics

6) Tips: My main suggestion would be to try using textbooks instead of review books. It might actually make it easier for you to retain what you are learning. I would also suggest spreading out the preparation for a period of 1-2 years. The relaxed approach made the entire process of preparing for the MCAT much easier. You shouldn't be stressing over it too much. It is obviously a very difficult test, but I found it to be significantly easier than what I had expected (based on the experiences of others).

7) Time Spent Studying: Most of the time I was studying for the MCAT coincided with when I was studying for the biology and chemistry courses. I was indirectly studying for the MCAT throughout first and second year. I didn’t spend a lot of time studying only for the MCAT, relative to others.

Last edited:
1) Score: 520

2) Method: Read thru all the books once while highlighting. Then I read them all a second time, focusing mainly on highlighting. Threw some Kaplan practice tests in there while I was content reviewing. (I was always content reviewing). In the last month, did all the AAMC stuff while still content reviewing the stuff I had trouble with. Did section banks twice. The section banks are most accurate.

3) Materials: Kaplan, some Khan practice problems, AAMC, other internet stuff

4) Practice tests
Kaplan 1: 504
2: 506
3: 508
Unscored: 514
Scored: 520

5) Major: Political Science
6) TIPS: Study content review like crazy until you get a good foundation, then focus on learning how the AAMC asks its questions and how to approach the problem. It's very important to be familiar with the test. Section banks are best practice
7) Length of Studying: a year of reading a chapter a day in Kaplan. Spent winter break+2 weeks going HAM studying (10 hr days, everyday)

How would you guys, those who have used EK 1001 books, say you practiced the questions in the book? I am really weak in the chem/phys area so I was wondering how would it be best to go about this issue. Should I copy the questions directly from the book and work it out and how many questions should I do from EK 1001. All of them, every 3 problems, only the most difficult ones? Thank you.

1) Score: 520

2) Method: Read thru all the books once while highlighting. Then I read them all a second time, focusing mainly on highlighting. Threw some Kaplan practice tests in there while I was content reviewing. (I was always content reviewing). In the last month, did all the AAMC stuff while still content reviewing the stuff I had trouble with. Did section banks twice. The section banks are most accurate.

3) Materials: Kaplan, some Khan practice problems, AAMC, other internet stuff

4) Practice tests
Kaplan 1: 504
2: 506
3: 508
Unscored: 514
Scored: 520

5) Major: Political Science
6) TIPS: Study content review like crazy until you get a good foundation, then focus on learning how the AAMC asks its questions and how to approach the problem. It's very important to be familiar with the test. Section banks are best practice
7) Length of Studying: a year of reading a chapter a day in Kaplan. Spent winter break+2 weeks going HAM studying (10 hr days, everyday)
Is there a link for all the aamc material including like an outline to refer back to normally tested topics because sometimes I refer back to my college textbooks to review topics I had trouble with after reading them in the review books

Score: 523
Method: Practice problems or section bank every other day, doing at least 230 questions, marking any question about which I was not 100% sure and reviewing all 4 answer choices for each marked or wrong question. The other days, I went down the lists of possible tested topics and refreshed my memory about them (you can find them here: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf)
I also ended up searching for interesting things on pubmed to skim abstracts and figures, and reading about current social issues. I know this sounds stupid, but it helped me improve my critical thinking and data analysis skills, and staying caught up on current social topics helped me on a lot of the sociology questions, even though I haven't taken any sociology courses. If anyone is interested in trying this to supplement their review and practice problems, which actually serves as a nice study break, let me know and I can try to PM you either kind of article that I read while studying.
Materials: TPR, Khan Academy for Psych/Soc, Wikipedia often felt more concise and efficient than either resource
Practice tests: TPR (509-511), EK
Major: Biology
Tips: I wanted to post this because I almost voided my score because I didn't think I studied enough, and I wanted to perhaps provide some reassurance to people whose situations force them to end up cramming for the test. Chances are you know your stuff if you've taken most of your prereqs, so if you're fresh out of whatever prereqs you think are important and in a similar situation to mine before taking the MCAT, I would suggest focusing on problems with the majority of your content review coming from reviewing marked or incorrect questions. If you do decide to focus on minimizing mistakes, I would actually recommend TPR tests, because they are loaded with common tricks that you'll begin to catch after going through them.
How long did you study for the MCAT? The month of January until test day

Reactions: 5 users
@junktrashcan

Holy crap you studied for one month? Thats beyond amazing, congrats!

Quick questions, did you use TPR for your practice questions? And would you be able to send me the example articles?

Score: 523
Method: Practice problems or section bank every other day, doing at least 230 questions, marking any question about which I was not 100% sure and reviewing all 4 answer choices for each marked or wrong question. The other days, I went down the lists of possible tested topics and refreshed my memory about them (you can find them here: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf)
I also ended up searching for interesting things on pubmed to skim abstracts and figures, and reading about current social issues. I know this sounds stupid, but it helped me improve my critical thinking and data analysis skills, and staying caught up on current social topics helped me on a lot of the sociology questions, even though I haven't taken any sociology courses. If anyone is interested in trying this to supplement their review and practice problems, which actually serves as a nice study break, let me know and I can try to PM you either kind of article that I read while studying.
Materials: TPR, Khan Academy for Psych/Soc, Wikipedia often felt more concise and efficient than either resource
Practice tests: TPR (509-511), EK
Major: Biology
Tips: I wanted to post this because I almost voided my score because I didn't think I studied enough, and I wanted to perhaps provide some reassurance to people whose situations force them to end up cramming for the test. Chances are you know your stuff if you've taken most of your prereqs, so if you're fresh out of whatever prereqs you think are important and in a similar situation to mine before taking the MCAT, I would suggest focusing on problems with the majority of your content review coming from reviewing marked or incorrect questions. If you do decide to focus on minimizing mistakes, I would actually recommend TPR tests, because they are loaded with common tricks that you'll begin to catch after going through them.
How long did you study for the MCAT? The month of January until test day

Do you mean you studied the month of january and took the exam that same month?

A tip I have is to notecard not just for c/p section, but also for concepts in bio section. You can further expand your note cards with concepts learned in practice questions. And review them every other day so that you're super flexible with those concepts.

I used the TPR online exams that came with all of the review books for practice, and I'll go through my history for some examples to send you. I hope you find at least some of them interesting!

when you say rely heavily on KA to supplement, do you mean doing KA passages or just watching vids? if you did both, which one helped you more?

Both.

Videos for science topics that EK covered/explained poorly and a lot of psych/soc topics (helped me to encode the information an additional way). And passages to strengthen my understanding of the topics, especially if I was particularly weak on a certain subject. I highly recommend the psych/soc KA passages for practice (in addition to the AAMC section bank). In general I skipped the problems that involved a lot of calculations, just cause realistically you won't see them on the real thing. Hope that helps.

Scored 519 - 130 127 131 131

If you are not naturally gifted with smarts, you can probably learn something from my perspective....who knows it worked for me...
You have to respect this test and give it the dedication it deserves. I had to change my mindset-- music and motivational videos became lifebloood, meditation, workout. You have to believe that in order to get 100th percentile, you have to work harder than 100% of everyone else and make sure that everyone that does better than you is strictly more gifted than you are because you know you worked harder than they did.... If you understand that, then you will know how to spend your time. I was lucky enough to be able to dedicate 100% of my time 24/7 to it, but if you have other obligations I would just extend the duration of your studying, and focus during the hours you need to. I studied for around 3 months and i lost three years off the end of my life. Its a hell of a trial, but after getting the score back I have no regrets. You have to get the mindset first, then bust the material.

c/p- I used kaplan books and did every practice problem I could find

cars- I used testing solutions guide on the forum. Its pretty solid and I found it more useful to do passages than reading how to do cars in kaplan.. Their practice passages are great for stamina but horrible for confidence. But I'd recommend. I'm a very slow reader and cars has been my hardest subject. take my advice on this one cautiously

b/b - kaplan books, I took my time reading the bio book...I read it around three times...passages- old ammc, kaplan, kahn, anything

p/s - kaplan books. highly recommend kahn. i did half of the problems and my next kaplan full length i thin was a 132. kaplan is pretty good for this section.

I remember reading about someone on sdn who said staying up till like 3 am after a full day of work was crucial to them, so I attempted a FL at like 1030 at night and didn't make it past the third cars passage...but this may have been very good for me. I was up since around 5 studying all day and going until your brain can not go any longer may be the key to having plenty of stamina for test day.......If you're willing to put in the effort, this strategy may be worth exploring

I used kaplan to study almost everything. Their books are fantastic. I didn't use Kaplans CARS. Made notes about everything I did not know as i went through each book nearly a month before the test. made notes on every question i got wrong on official aamc things and reviewed these with the notes. focus on the sample test and section bank topics. had notecards for everything but would recommend for biochem, physics, psych, soc.

I started to mimic test day conditions (wake up, meal times) a week before the test and I recommend this. I was crazy anxious the few days before the exam and honestly had put in so much work i know i needed to take a break before i had to take another full test so i took a few days off before the exam just chilling.

Day of: I woke up and ate breakfast, showered, meditated, took a 15 minute walk listening to music, and drove to the test center ready to kill it.

I walked out feeling good

Reactions: 9 users
Scored 519 - 130 127 131 131

If you are not naturally gifted with smarts, you can probably learn something from my perspective....who knows it worked for me...
You have to respect this test and give it the dedication it deserves. I had to change my mindset-- music and motivational videos became lifebloood, meditation, workout. You have to believe that in order to get 100th percentile, you have to work harder than 100% of everyone else and make sure that everyone that does better than you is strictly more gifted than you are because you know you worked harder than they did.... If you understand that, then you will know how to spend your time. I was lucky enough to be able to dedicate 100% of my time 24/7 to it, but if you have other obligations I would just extend the duration of your studying, and focus during the hours you need to. I studied for around 3 months and i lost three years off the end of my life. Its a hell of a trial, but after getting the score back I have no regrets. You have to get the mindset first, then bust the material.

c/p- I used kaplan books and did every practice problem I could find

cars- I used testing solutions guide on the forum. Its pretty solid and I found it more useful to do passages than reading how to do cars in kaplan.. Their practice passages are great for stamina but horrible for confidence. But I'd recommend. I'm a very slow reader and cars has been my hardest subject. take my advice on this one cautiously

b/b - kaplan books, I took my time reading the bio book...I read it around three times...passages- old ammc, kaplan, kahn, anything

p/s - kaplan books. highly recommend kahn. i did half of the problems and my next kaplan full length i thin was a 132. kaplan is pretty good for this section.

I remember reading about someone on sdn who said staying up till like 3 am after a full day of work was crucial to them, so I attempted a FL at like 1030 at night and didn't make it past the third cars passage...but this may have been very good for me. I was up since around 5 studying all day and going until your brain can not go any longer may be the key to having plenty of stamina for test day.......If you're willing to put in the effort, this strategy may be worth exploring

I used kaplan to study almost everything. Their books are fantastic. I didn't use Kaplans CARS. Made notes about everything I did not know as i went through each book nearly a month before the test. made notes on every question i got wrong on official aamc things and reviewed these with the notes. focus on the sample test and section bank topics. had notecards for everything but would recommend for biochem, physics, psych, soc.

I started to mimic test day conditions (wake up, meal times) a week before the test and I recommend this. I was crazy anxious the few days before the exam and honestly had put in so much work i know i needed to take a break before i had to take another full test so i took a few days off before the exam just chilling.

Day of: I woke up and ate breakfast, showered, meditated, took a 15 minute walk listening to music, and drove to the test center ready to kill it.

I walked out feeling good
Thank you! I actually finally feel that someone is real on this website. I needed to read this post after a long day!!! Most people here are just fake and prideful

Thank you to everyone who's posted here, you were all immensely helpful throughout my studying. Here are my 2 cents:

1. Overall Score: 520 PS: 131 CARS: 127 BS: 132 Psych: 130

2. Study Method
My main advice is practice, practice, practice! I took the 1/23 exam, so I started casual content review with EK during my fall semester ~4 months before writing. I retained very little of what I read while I was busy in school, but it was definitely a nice refresher. The last month and a half was the most important since I was on winter break and studying was basically my job. I started by taking a TPR FL, then by going more in depth on the information that I got wrong, logging that mistake, and adding a few brief notes on the background info that I was missing. Rinse and repeat for as many FLs that you can get your hands on. The info will stick in your head more readily and you become an expert on the feel of the test.
  • Chem/Phys: You absolutely need to memorize the amino acids. I would draw those and the nitrogenous bases on a whiteboard before bed. For any mistakes that I made on FLs, I would read and take notes on that section in Kaplan, or Wikipedia it if Kaplan was lacking.
  • CARS: I started practicing early with a combo of EK 101, TPRH workbook, and old AAMC verbal sections. Every morning, I would do 2-3 passages for about 3 months before writing. I found the most marked improvement when I started reviewing my passages by summarizing the entire passage and each paragraph in one sentence each, then re-answering the questions.
  • Bio: Same technique as C/P, just practiced a bunch and reviewed everything I got wrong. I made my own visual organizers of things like hormones, brain parts, metabolic pathways, etc.
  • Psych: I tried watching Khan videos but didn't have enough time for all of them, so I ended up speed-reading TPR Psych and reading the glossary of that and Kaplan Psych. Definitely Wikipedia'd any info that I saw on FLs just in case TPR or Kaplan were lacking.
3. Study Materials
  • EK 2015 Set: Great for initial content review and for visual learners. Definitely do the questions and exams to make sure you're retaining what you're reading. Wasn't really detailed enough for reviewing FL mistakes.
  • Kaplan 2015 Set: Pretty good for reviewing my FL mistakes in-depth, but can be lacking at times. I think this could've been replaced with old class notes or Wikipedia.
  • TPR Psych: Not too long and easy to read, but definitely doesn't cover it all. The glossary was helpful!
  • TBR 2013 Set: These would theoretically have been great passage practice while I did content review, but I never got around to doing too many of them. The math and strategy tips they gave were very very useful.
  • AAMC Section Bank: Must-have! This is the only way to nail the true wording and info that's on the real thing.
4. Practice Tests
  • TPR FL 1: Not that reflective of the real test, but it served well as the first painful FL.
  • EK FLs 1-4: By far, the most useful of all of my materials (except AAMC stuff). Buy as many as you can, because they're worded similarly to the real test, but are harder so they whip you into shape. I forget my scores on these but I can find them if anyone cares.
5. Major: Biology Minor: Psychology

6. Tips
You guys can do it, believe in yourselves! Just work your butt off practicing and learn from your mistakes. Content review overwhelmed me because I had no idea how I'd be tested on the information, but when you take FLs you see what information they're really harping on and you can focus your studying from there. Also, always always take the full time for each and every FL. You need to condition yourself to take a 7hr test, and when it's the real thing your instincts will kick in and take care of the rest.

7. Study Length
Technically 5 months, including "content review" that didn't really happen all that much. The real learning came from the 1.5 months before my test when I was taking FLs about every 2-3 days.

Hopefully some of this is helpful and not just rambling. If anyone has questions feel free to reply or PM me.

Thank you to everyone who's posted here, you were all immensely helpful throughout my studying. Here are my 2 cents:

1. Overall Score: 520 PS: 131 CARS: 127 BS: 132 Psych: 130

2. Study Method
My main advice is practice, practice, practice! I took the 1/23 exam, so I started casual content review with EK during my fall semester ~4 months before writing. I retained very little of what I read while I was busy in school, but it was definitely a nice refresher. The last month and a half was the most important since I was on winter break and studying was basically my job. I started by taking a TPR FL, then by going more in depth on the information that I got wrong, logging that mistake, and adding a few brief notes on the background info that I was missing. Rinse and repeat for as many FLs that you can get your hands on. The info will stick in your head more readily and you become an expert on the feel of the test.
  • Chem/Phys: You absolutely need to memorize the amino acids. I would draw those and the nitrogenous bases on a whiteboard before bed. For any mistakes that I made on FLs, I would read and take notes on that section in Kaplan, or Wikipedia it if Kaplan was lacking.
  • CARS: I started practicing early with a combo of EK 101, TPRH workbook, and old AAMC verbal sections. Every morning, I would do 2-3 passages for about 3 months before writing. I found the most marked improvement when I started reviewing my passages by summarizing the entire passage and each paragraph in one sentence each, then re-answering the questions.
  • Bio: Same technique as C/P, just practiced a bunch and reviewed everything I got wrong. I made my own visual organizers of things like hormones, brain parts, metabolic pathways, etc.
  • Psych: I tried watching Khan videos but didn't have enough time for all of them, so I ended up speed-reading TPR Psych and reading the glossary of that and Kaplan Psych. Definitely Wikipedia'd any info that I saw on FLs just in case TPR or Kaplan were lacking.
3. Study Materials
  • EK 2015 Set: Great for initial content review and for visual learners. Definitely do the questions and exams to make sure you're retaining what you're reading. Wasn't really detailed enough for reviewing FL mistakes.
  • Kaplan 2015 Set: Pretty good for reviewing my FL mistakes in-depth, but can be lacking at times. I think this could've been replaced with old class notes or Wikipedia.
  • TPR Psych: Not too long and easy to read, but definitely doesn't cover it all. The glossary was helpful!
  • TBR 2013 Set: These would theoretically have been great passage practice while I did content review, but I never got around to doing too many of them. The math and strategy tips they gave were very very useful.
  • AAMC Section Bank: Must-have! This is the only way to nail the true wording and info that's on the real thing.
4. Practice Tests
  • TPR FL 1: Not that reflective of the real test, but it served well as the first painful FL.
  • EK FLs 1-4: By far, the most useful of all of my materials (except AAMC stuff). Buy as many as you can, because they're worded similarly to the real test, but are harder so they whip you into shape. I forget my scores on these but I can find them if anyone cares.
5. Major: Biology Minor: Psychology

6. Tips
You guys can do it, believe in yourselves! Just work your butt off practicing and learn from your mistakes. Content review overwhelmed me because I had no idea how I'd be tested on the information, but when you take FLs you see what information they're really harping on and you can focus your studying from there. Also, always always take the full time for each and every FL. You need to condition yourself to take a 7hr test, and when it's the real thing your instincts will kick in and take care of the rest.

7. Study Length
Technically 5 months, including "content review" that didn't really happen all that much. The real learning came from the 1.5 months before my test when I was taking FLs about every 2-3 days.

Hopefully some of this is helpful and not just rambling. If anyone has questions feel free to reply or PM me.

How long would you say you reviewed the questions after you took your FL's? And how would you go about reviewing the questions? Is it best to write down the questions you got wrong word-for- word in a separate journal? Because some are passaged questions so I am trying to see how one could review a question one gets wrong if it is passage based. Would you recommend going over used FL's or practice passages as being helpful if one runs out of resources i.e. for CARS?

How long would you say you reviewed the questions after you took your FL's? And how would you go about reviewing the questions? Is it best to write down the questions you got wrong word-for- word in a separate journal? Because some are passaged questions so I am trying to see how one could review a question one gets wrong if it is passage based. Would you recommend going over used FL's or practice passages as being helpful if one runs out of resources i.e. for CARS?
I think I took about 2-3 days to review an entire FL depending on what else I was doing that day. I didn't write the questions word for word, but sometimes I would paraphrase what information the question was really asking about without needing the context of the passage if that makes any sense. My journals were definitely more information-based statements rather than writing the actual questions. I think going over used materials is helpful if you that's all you have, but use whatever new material that you can get your hands on first for sure. But I would definitely try to review and summarize every CARS passage that you do though. Hopefully that makes sense!

I think I took about 2-3 days to review an entire FL depending on what else I was doing that day. I didn't write the questions word for word, but sometimes I would paraphrase what information the question was really asking about without needing the context of the passage if that makes any sense. My journals were definitely more information-based statements rather than writing the actual questions. I think going over used materials is helpful if you that's all you have, but use whatever new material that you can get your hands on first for sure. But I would definitely try to review and summarize every CARS passage that you do though. Hopefully that makes sense!

It sure does. Thank you.

1) Score: 513; 128/126/130/129
2) Method: I went through the 100-Days to MCAT SUCCESS back to back, making changes on the second half to cover areas I was weak. I went through all of the psych/sociology videos from K.A did about 150 of the passages, and watched dozens of the science videos.
3) Materials: 100-Day to MCAT Success books, they are on here somewhere in the outlined post.
4) Practice tests
7/27/15 Nexstep Diagnostic 492
8/3/15 AAMC Practice test 500
24-Aug NS FL 1 499 124 126 124 126
7-Sep TPR FL 1 504
14-Sep Kaplan 492
27-Sep NS FL 2 504
28-Sep NS FL 3 502
5-Oct NS FL 4 504
16-Oct NS 5 501
22-Oct AAMC Half Practice Retake 0.70 0.90 0.80 0.77
10/27/15 Nextstep Diagnostic 507 126 126 127 128
11/1/15 TPR 3 497 125 123 123 126
11/15/15 NS FL 1 Retake 509 127 127 127 128
11/20/15 TPR FL 1 507 125 127 128 127
11/28/15 NS FL 2 509 127 127 128 127
12/5/15 Kaplan 1 503 126 126 126 125
12/11/15 NS 3 509 127 127 126 129
12/19/15 TPR 2 505 125 125 127 128
12/21/15 Altius 1 500 124 124 126 126
12/23/15 Altius 2 505 127 128 125 125
12/26/15 NS FL 4 507 127 126 127 127
12/28/15 Altius 3 499 124 125 125 125
12/30/15 Altius 4 505 126 126 127 126
1/2/16 TPR 3 505 125 125 126 129
1/4/16 Altius 5 504 126 125 126 128
1/6/16 Altius 6 508 127 127 126 128
1/8/16 NS 5 507 126 127 126 127
1/9/16 AAMC Practice Test 82.50% 76 87 78 90
1/11/16 AAMC Official 514 128 128 129 129
1/14/16 Altius 7 505 126 124 127 128
1/15/16 Altius 8 502 125 127 125 125
1/16/16 EK 4 73% 75% 66% 73% 76%
1/18/16 Altius 9 506 127 126 126 127
1/19/16 Altius 10 505 124 126 126 126
1/21/16 AAMC Scored Retest 522 130 131 132 129
1/23/16 Real MCAT 513 128 126 130 129

Question packets Score (taken within 2 weeks of exam)
Bio 1 74%
Bio 2 77%
Chem 88%
Cars 1 75%
Cars 2 77%
Physics 65%

Section Bank (taken within 2 weeks of exam)
Chem
Bio 65%
Psych 66%
Chem 58%

5) Major: Double Major in Medical Science and Biology with chem, nutrition, and psych minors
I took the MCAT with only 1 semester of Organic Chem, no biochemistry or orgo 2, and self studied based off all the practice tests.
6) TIPS: The timing, comfort, and just practice are the most important. Feeling comfortable with the way the questions will be asked, recognizing what they really want, and eliminating the simple mistakes will help the best. That is what I believe helped me the most on test day, and was the emphasis of my studying the last few weeks.
Also google ANKI MCAT study deck, its gold.
7) Length of Studying: 200 days, July 30th-January 23rd.

If anyway has questions feel free to PM me and Ill do my best to help

523: 131/132/130/130
This is a retake; previously 516.

C/P: Made a massive study guide by using the Kaplan set to fill out the AAMC content outline. Supplemented with Khan and a physics textbook. Practiced using TPR workbook, Section Bank+Question Packs.
CARS: Was a strength so I never practiced outside of full-lengths.
B/B: Made a massive study guide by using the Kaplan set to fill out the AAMC content outline. Supplemented with Khan and Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews for biochem (GOLD). Practiced using the Section Bank and Question Packs.
P/S: Read through Kaplan's book once. Was relatively fresh off Psych 101. Practiced using the Section Bank.

Content review: Kaplan review set, Khan videos, a physics textbook, Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews for biochem
Practice material: all the released AAMC stuff except for the CARS question packs, TPR science workbook

The 2 AAMC ones. The first one was for my first take and I think the breakdown was something like 78/91/73/89. The scored one was one week before my retake and I got 516.
2 TPR ones. Course Test 1 was for my first take, I got 507. The second one (one of the free ones you get with the books) was for my retake, 510.
The Section Bank is hands-down the best approximation of the real deal, though it is significantly harder. Nothing else gets close. The TPR workbook was great for C/P; the full-lengths were okay but not great.

Biology

It's against the hivemind, but don't be afraid to prioritize content review. It's really important to know your basics. A lot of you are probably good at standardized testing anyway so mimicking testing conditions with practice will be less important.

2-2.5 dedicated months for my first sitting in which I scored 516. Took several months off, then studied ~1 dedicated month for my retake. The first time, I didn't actually finish my content review outline and had very little practice. The second time, I finished the outline and did most of the aforementioned practice.

Would you mind sharing your study guides. Could you explain you process for psy/doc section. You tube has free courses that the universities offer and I'm considering taking one. Would you say the course helped you mostly or the review book were sufficient? Also did the khan anatomy cover most of the content on the Mcat or do you feel that it missed some key concepts.

1) PS: 129 CARS: 126 BIO: 128 PSYCH/SOCIO: 127

2) TBR is key to success. Used TBR books for content review. Put in about 6-8 hours each day. During the first month I was taking one day off per week, but after that 7 days of studying was the move. Haven't taken psych or sociology so had to learn all that fresh from TBR handouts and Psych book. Also watched the Khan Academy psych videos. For the sciences I used TBR as well as Chads videos if I felt uncertain on some topics. Verbal is the death of me. English is my 2nd language and I knew CARS is my greatest weakness so I practiced as much verbal as possible. I was doing a full length CARS section alsmost every day 2 weeks before exam and did 3 passages daily throughout the summer. Used Kaplan, TPR, EK verbal in addition to AAMC.
Didn't think TBR's CARS was representative of the actual thing.

3) Used all of AAMC's materials available.
The chem, phys and bio question packs I scored around 85%-88% correct.
EK practice tests 2 and 3
TBR books for sciences and psych, socio
TPR hyperlearning, EK 101 passages, Kaplan CARS tests for CARS section

4) TBR
Kaplan
Next Step
TPR
AAMC FL PS 80% CARS 82% BIO 88% PSYCH/SOCIO 68%
Take advantage of free practice tests offered by test prep companies. They are way harder than the actual thing but a good practice for timing.

5) Double major in Chemistry and Business Admin.

6) I had a daily routine which I also used on my test day. Get coffee, gulp down about half of it. Go down to the library and under timed conditions (representative of the test day intro section) I drew all of the AA's with full name, 3 letter and 1 letter abbreviations. Also I wrote down conversions (kilo, nano, mega, giga, etc. and their representative 10^x) and some physics formulas. All from memory. This way I didn't have to waste time during the actual exam since the info was written down in front of me.
Main thing was to find fun in the process and enjoy yourself while studying.

7) 3.5 months

1) PS: 129 CARS: 126 BIO: 128 PSYCH/SOCIO: 127

2) TBR is key to success. Used TBR books for content review. Put in about 6-8 hours each day. During the first month I was taking one day off per week, but after that 7 days of studying was the move. Haven't taken psych or sociology so had to learn all that fresh from TBR handouts and Psych book. Also watched the Khan Academy psych videos. For the sciences I used TBR as well as Chads videos if I felt uncertain on some topics. Verbal is the death of me. English is my 2nd language and I knew CARS is my greatest weakness so I practiced as much verbal as possible. I was doing a full length CARS section alsmost every day 2 weeks before exam and did 3 passages daily throughout the summer. Used Kaplan, TPR, EK verbal in addition to AAMC.
Didn't think TBR's CARS was representative of the actual thing.

3) Used all of AAMC's materials available.
The chem, phys and bio question packs I scored around 85%-88% correct.
EK practice tests 2 and 3
TBR books for sciences and psych, socio
TPR hyperlearning, EK 101 passages, Kaplan CARS tests for CARS section

4) TBR
Kaplan
Next Step
TPR
AAMC FL PS 80% CARS 82% BIO 88% PSYCH/SOCIO 68%
Take advantage of free practice tests offered by test prep companies. They are way harder than the actual thing but a good practice for timing.

5) Double major in Chemistry and Business Admin.

6) I had a daily routine which I also used on my test day. Get coffee, gulp down about half of it. Go down to the library and under timed conditions (representative of the test day intro section) I drew all of the AA's with full name, 3 letter and 1 letter abbreviations. Also I wrote down conversions (kilo, nano, mega, giga, etc. and their representative 10^x) and some physics formulas. All from memory. This way I didn't have to waste time during the actual exam since the info was written down in front of me.
Main thing was to find fun in the process and enjoy yourself while studying.

7) 3.5 months

Hi, thanks for the information. Can you post some of your practice tests scores, like from Next Step and Kaplan? I am hoping I do better on the real thing than these practice tests and I have heard, as you mentioned, that the practice tests are harder than the real thing. Would be good to get an idea. I have taken 5 NS FLs and scorred 510s and a 511 on the last one. How do you think they compare to the real thing? I plan on saving my official FLs for the last week.

Hi, thanks for the information. Can you post some of your practice tests scores, like from Next Step and Kaplan? I am hoping I do better on the real thing than these practice tests and I have heard, as you mentioned, that the practice tests are harder than the real thing. Would be good to get an idea. I have taken 5 NS FLs and scorred 510s and a 511 on the last one. How do you think they compare to the real thing? I plan on saving my official FLs for the last week.

I really don't remember the scores. I mainly used those tests for timing. The time I took them the scores on NS and Kaplan were not representative of the real scores. Companies weren't sure how to score the tests so everyone was lowballed compared to the real thing. The reason is due to a small sample size who had taken those practice tests at the time so the percentiles were off. I know there is a thread which correlates EK scores to the real thing.

1) Test Score 520 || 131 / 129/ 130/ 130

In general I am a big idea/visual/kinesthetic learner. A normal day for me would be to wake up at 7:30am, work out, eat, relax until 9:30, before I did an hour of cars practice, 1-2 hours of psych review, and then whatever topic I had planned until about 7:00pm. I had a break day every 5 days first, but then gradually every 9-10 days. A really important part of my routine was how I started imy day and what really helped was that the only technology I would allow myself to use in the morning was music. No phone, no social media, no email, or youtube. It helped mentally prepare me for the day and keep me focused. I used a mix of anki flashcards, notetaking, whiteboard doodling, and did LOTS of practice problems/passages. The single, best way to prepare for this test is getting the content review out of the way early so that you can spend the remaining 1-2 months practicing and honing your test-taking/reading skill. I used mainly AAMC practice material and all the full lengths I could get my hands on to help me with this. By the time I took the real thing, I had done about 14 full lengths, spread out about every 1-2 weeks, in addition to the Qbanks and extra problems from TBR and TPR for solidifying content. I always did my full lengths under strict timed conditions, but all extra practice I took my time, focusing more on understanding the problems/passages over pace.

PS and BS: primarily EK and Khan Academy/Wikipedia for supplementation.
Psych/Soc: Khan Academy, Wikipedia, and TPR
CARS: EK 1001, TPR Verbal Workbook

Additional Practice: AAMC, Kaplan, TBR, TPR, EK, Khan Academy (basically anything I could get my hands on). I found that out of the old material, TBR and TPRH passages were very much relevant!

4) Which practice tests did you use? (In order taken)
TPR Demo Test 500/123/125/125/127
Kaplan FL1 500/125/125/126/124
Kaplan FL2 503/124/128/126/125
Kaplan FL3 508/126/125/126/131
TPR FL1 509/126/128/127/128
TPR FL2 511/126/127/130/129
TPR FL3 508/126/123/126/131
TPR Review FL1 507/128/125/126/128
TPR Review FL2 510/128/128/127/127
AAMC Sample 520/129/131/130/130
EK FL3 504/126/124/129/125
EK FL4 506/129/124/126/127
AAMC Scored 519

13 tests taken total

Biology (worth noting that I took a lot of humanities classes in college, which helped with CARS).

Before you start studying, do your research, gather your resources, and make up a rough timeline that indicates break days, full lengths day, review days etc., It helped a lot to get all of this out of the way before I started studying, as it kept my mind constantly on the end-goal, but in a constructive and very structured way.

Practice a lot! Surround yourself with good people. Eat well and exercise (or do stretches during breaks).
I'm a nontraditional student. 2 years out of college, first time test taker, never applied. It's been a long time since I sat in a lecture hall and took a test. My support system (family, bf, friends) helped a lot with keeping me sane and grounded. Also, I had an "MCAT mentor" who had taken the test before and would slap sense into me whenever I freaked out. Reg, you are awesome!

Technically started mid-September, but I didn't really find a rhythm until October. So I'd say October to late January (3-4 months). I highly recommend giving yourself an extra month of "cushion" if you can. Something I didn't anticipate was how long it would take for me to get back into the swing of studying and finding methods and resources that worked for me. In the end, it took me 2 full weeks to really get into it.
Does EK actually score their exams like that? I thought they just give you your percentage correct...

How reliable were EK exams compared to real exam? As a retaker i already used princeton review and kaplan for first time. Anyone know where i can get diff kaplan and diff princeton exams? Also other FL recommendations?

Would you mind sharing your study guides. Could you explain you process for psy/doc section. You tube has free courses that the universities offer and I'm considering taking one. Would you say the course helped you mostly or the review book were sufficient? Also did the khan anatomy cover most of the content on the Mcat or do you feel that it missed some key concepts.

The value of the expanded outline lies in making it yourself, so it's not really helpful to share.

The psych course was really helpful, but not to the point that I'd spend dedicated time on it. A denser review book, like TPR, would be fine. I can't speak to whether KA was comprehensive, because it wasn't ky primary source. Hope that all helps.

How did you get scores for the EK exams? Mine only shows percentages.
Mine did too. But I just roughly converted it to scaled scores based off stuff I found on threads and analyzing trends in my other practice test scores. Basically I observed that every score correlates (in my personal experience) to a certain percentage range, and just used that to convert my EK %

1) Overall: 509 (80%). 127/124/129/129

2) Study methods: I used the same study method for physical sciences, biology and psych/soc. I would briefly read through one section in the EK 9th Ed book and look up any topics that I did not remember. A few days later, I would do an in depth reading of the section and take broad notes/draw diagrams or structures, and complete the questions at the end of the section, while only reviewing the ones I got correct. Then around 4-8 days later I would review the section by referring to the MCAT topic outline and noting important information/formulas in a small notebook. I would also redo all the questions I got wrong, while also briefly reviewing questions I got correct. If I missed a question for the second time, I would look up a relevant video on Khan Academy, and write a sentence or two in my notebook.
I would also study questions on practice exams by keeping a second notebook with why I got a question wrong, and supplemental information I needed to get the question right. This was useful, since I found out I was weak in certain topics, which allowed me to look up videos on Khan Academy. For CARS, I did practice passages, but I deeply regret not using my EK book entirely. I tried different methods (skimming, reading questions first, reading passage only once) before realizing that reading the passage only once worked best for me (or at least I thought it did :().

3) Materials: For physical sciences, biology and psych/soc, I used the 9th edition EK books, along with the 2003 TPR books to supplement some information that was unclear or not deeply explained. I also used the TPR psych/soc book. For CARS: I did not have enough time to go through the EK book, but I did use the NextStep CARS skill book, and I did some passages from the EK 101 passages book.

4) In order taken: NS Half diagnostic: 120/122/125/126 = 493 (taken before studying)
TPR Demo: 122/123/123/127 = 495
NS1: 125/126/127/128 = 506
NS2: 126/125/126/126 = 503
NS3: 125/126/126/128 = 505
TPR1: 125/125/124/126 = 500
NS4: 126/124/147/125 = 502
NS5: 127/126/126/128 = 507
TPR2: 123/125/126/128 = 502
AAMC Qpacks1/2: Physical 81/78. CARS 68/69. Bio: 81/89
AAMC sample FL: 81/89/80/92 (85.5)
AAMC OG: 60/90/70/87 (76.75)

5) Neurobiology with minor in psych/social behavior

6) Do not burn yourself out! I know everyone says this, and it seems like a really easy piece of advice to ignore since we've all spent days cramming before finals, but please do not burn yourself out. I studied about 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for my first two weeks, and by week three, I got lazy. I figured since I worked so hard I could take a 30 minute break, which turned into an hour, and ultimately a full day. Make sure you give yourself a day off each week when you first start. Not a day to catch up on what you're behind on, but an actual day off. I ended up taking 2 weeks of studying 2 hours a day because I was burned out. Also, make sure you give yourself enough time to study. Since I didn't have much time to begin with, I tried to do too much in a day, which led me to be constantly behind on my calendar. Lastly, make sure you are calm and collected when doing practice questions or FL exams. I struggled with CARS because I would zone out and not really pay attention to what I was reading.

7) July - September (2 and a half months)

Reactions: 3 users
1) Score: 520; 131/128/132/129 (July 2015)

2) Method: Nothing too structured, my key strategy was to go over everything at least once and understand as much as possible then focus on my weaknesses with more detailed studying (quality over quantity). It is important to avoid the pitfall of focusing on what you're good at just because it makes you feel good about yourself. Also, don't rush through everything just to check it off a list you made, focus on understanding things however long that may take. Every topic will take varying amounts of time so I wouldn't set specific hours for each chapter.

I did at least a few practice questions for each topic and more for the topics I was less comfortable with. I would not recommend wasting time doing every single passage/question you can find for every topic, that is precious time you can spend elsewhere. I only memorized key concepts in each topic rather than every minute detail. I think this new exam is really about balancing a combination of fundamental knowledge in each subject with critical analysis of new information in a potentially unfamiliar context.

As many have mentioned before, start with more studying and a little practice then gradually tip the balance towards more practice and less studying as you near your test date. Make sure you can answer a question about every subject, that is the only way you will know that you understood it well. I would suggest making notes of the major basic topics in each section to keep revising as you go (e.g. amino acids, physics equations, period table trends).

IMO the 3-4 month study schedules are overkill unless you have never taken a science course in your life. Doing well depends more on having the right strategy and on knowing just enough rather than knowing as much as possible. You need to practice enough to develop key test-taking strategies, like identifying key/relevant points in a passage, process of elimination, etc. You have to accept that on several occasions you might not know the answer but you will still get it right by identifying which answers don't sound right. Prepare yourself mentally for this test and don't just rely on how much you have studied.

3) Materials:
1- Read through all Kaplan 2015 chapters at least once for the sciences. Definitely a bit too much detail in these books so don't get bogged down with memorizing everything. This is especially relevant for those last 2 chapters of the biochem book.
2- TPR + Khan + random websites for psych/soc -> this was a major weakness so I made sure I understood every concept. I would say TPR is good but not sufficient. At the same time, I had the sense that it was impossible to know everything for this section because the content guide was so vague. Either way I did well because most of my questions required critical analysis of the experiments/studies in the passage as opposed to pure facts. Would definitely have appreciated more practice for this section to feel a bit easier going into the exam.
3- TBR for bio/biochem passages, TPR science workbook for chem/phys/ochem practice, Examkrackers for verbal, Khan and NextStep for psych/soc passages.

PS If you do not have a strong foundation in biochem then you might want to read from a textbook (as some have recommended on these threads). I don't think any textbook is better than another and I have never studied from a biochem textbook even for my BSc. I would again warn against memorizing as if it was a biochem final exam. Use the extra reading to understand the material only.

4) Practice tests
Kaplan 1: 125/128/126/125
Kaplan 2: 126/128/128/124
TPR1: 126/127/125/125
AAMC FL (2 weeks out): 88%/94%/90%/88%
AAMC guide (3 days out): 87%/---/90%/93%

5) Major: Biochemistry BSc + MSc (was ~4 years out of undergrad when I took the MCAT)

6) TIPS: This test is largely about confidence and confidence =/= memorizing as much as possible. Go over the material once then do practice questions to gauge your level of comfort with each topic. After that focus on your weaknesses with more targeted studying and passages until you feel good about it. Rotate through the subjects so you are comfortable jumping between things while keeping your thoughts organized. A really big thing on this test is being able to understand research as most of the passages are taken directly from published articles. Also, know your lab methods well and how to interpret results form those methods.
Check this for my tips on learning how to understand research:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ctice-for-the-mcat2015.1132316/#post-16417043

I think my research experience definitely gave me an edge for this new test. Although I was far from mastering all the material, I felt comfortable reading and understanding most of the passages without freaking out about not knowing what they were specifically talking about. It is important to ignore some details in the passage (for example specific protein names) and extract the general idea or relate it to something more familiar and simple. The new chem/phys section is loaded with passages that seem crazy when you first look at them but in the end are just an exaggerated version of a simple system.

Another major factor for this new test is being comfortable with sitting through a 7+ hour exam. Do timed practices several times just to learn how to focus for so long, take your breaks to stretch out/drink water/use the bathroom. Make sure your testing center has good ear plugs or get some yourself. You want 0 distractions during the test, you have to be 100% focused and confident of your first-instinct answers. I found whenever I second guessed myself during practice I was changing to a wrong answer.

CARS was my biggest weakness going into this and so I made sure to practice as much as possible. This doesn't mean doing 100 passages a day, but rather doing at least 1-2 passages per day every day and 1 full length each week until the test day. Doing verbal is like a habit and if you stop for a couple of days your performance will likely suffer. Also be mentally ready for longer passages during the test but DO NOT let them freak you out. The worst thing you can do during the test is panic. Keep your cool and make sure to stick to a 10min time limit for each passage. The best strategy for CARS that worked for me was to take time to read the passage carefully and understand it as much as possible. I would take at least 2 minutes to read each passage. It is much easier to know the answer immediately than have to go back because most questions cannot be answered by reading specific parts of the passage. There is no point rushing through just to save time if you have no clue what you just read.

Another thing worth mentioning is to take everything you read on here about topics tested with a grain of salt. Last year the topics tested varied wildly from date to date and even within versions on the same date. Don't risk anything by completely ignoring a subject. Know your formulas for physics, learn the key Ochem families, study your physiology, etc.

7) Length of Studying: 2.5 months (May 1st - Mid July) working full-time throughout except for 10 days before the exam. On average, I studied 2-4 hours after work on weekdays and up to 7 hours on weekends. I really don't think you need more than this if you have a strong foundation in the sciences. It actually helps to have something on the side that takes your mind off studying and ensures that you are productively studying a few hours a day rather than being inefficient for a whole day because you're burnt out or bored.

Glad to provide any advice, feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users