507 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, over 500 hours working in an ER, black applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zattwat

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I am new to SDN and looking to get some advice on which schools would be in my range with the following credentials:

African American
507 MCAT
3.9 GPA in Medicinal Biochemistry BS at Arizona State University (currently a junior, 21 years old)
500+ hours as an ER scribe
500+ hours as a track and field coach
150 hours volunteering for a black scholarship fund since the 8th grade
Some ride-along experience with my father's crew (he is a Phoenix fire captain)

I would consider my lack of research or club affiliation to be my weakest points.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are you aiming for?

Your package looks great to me!!

Thank you so much! I would like to attend medical school in California. My preferences would be: Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, USC, and UC Davis. Then there's my hometown medical school at U of A Phoenix.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I would like to attend medical school in California. My preferences would be: Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, USC, and UC Davis. Then there's my hometown medical school at U of A Phoenix.
You're GPA as it is now is amazing and that mcat is solid! You're experiences are also nothing to sneeze at and quite unique (father's crew).

You've also demonstrated commitment to underrepresented populations.

I bet you wouldn't have any trouble getting interviews at many of those schools you've listed.

I would add the rest of your instate schools and a few mid tiers and the HBCUs to feel more comfortable.

As long as you keep up the decent gpa for this semester, write a good PS and submit early you'll be golden!

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
You're GPA as it is now is amazing and that mcat is solid! You're experiences are also nothing to sneeze at and quite unique (father's crew).

You've also demonstrated commitment to underrepresented populations.

I bet you wouldn't have any trouble getting interviews at many of those schools you've listed.

I would add the rest of your instate schools and a few mid tiers and the HBCUs to feel more comfortable.

As long as you keep up the decent gpa for this semester, write a good PS and submit early you'll be golden!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the response! I accept your suggestion and will add some additional schools accordingly. I plan to update this thread as I get further along in the application process.