506 MCAT, >3.8gpa, reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foresight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have just been rejected from all the medical schools I applied to and am looking for a school list for my reapplication. I had a 506 MCAT with a high gpa. I have a little over 100 clinical volunteer hours. I played on my schools varsity basketball team and have over 100 non clinical volunteer hours. Where do you think my app went wrong and where should I apply next time (DO and MD)? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A CA applicant with the equivalent of a 29 MCAT can sometimes find success OOS.
Where did you apply? Any previous MCAT's?
No previous MCATs. I applied quite broadly, Creighton, Loyola, Western Mich, Central Mich, Quinnipiac, as well as MSU and Whayne State. Are there any others that I should add. Are the California schools pretty much out of reach?

Members don't see this ad :)
No previous MCATs. I applied quite broadly, Creighton, Loyola, Western Mich, Central Mich, Quinnipiac, as well as MSU and Whayne State. Are there any others that I should add. Are the California schools pretty much out of reach?
You need to identify every school that accepts at least 15% OOS with the lowest possible median (excluding mission-based schools). I've seen applications like yours find success at Louisville and MCW. Look a little deeper in the MSAR. You may need to go as low as 12% if you can't find at least a dozen schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I have just been rejected from all the medical schools I applied to and am looking for a school list for my reapplication. I had a 506 MCAT with a high gpa. I have a little over 100 clinical volunteer hours. I played on my schools varsity basketball team and have over 100 non clinical volunteer hours. Where do you think my app went wrong and where should I apply next time (DO and MD)? Thanks
Your need more patient contact experience and more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

I suggest the following:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
UCD
UCI
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with Western (both) Touro-CA, TUNCOM, PacNW and AZCOM.

Your need more patient contact experience and more service to others less fortunate than yourself.

I suggest the following:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
UCD
UCI
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with Western (both) Touro-CA, TUNCOM, PacNW and AZCOM.
Thanks for the list. How much more patient contact hours should I shoot for. I can maybe get to around 125 by the end of May. Thanks for your help!