506 MCAT, 3.73 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojjos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was so bummed when I received my MCAT this summer (125/125/128/128) total 506. I'm applying to MD/PhD programs and feel like my score is not even close to what could get me accepted.. Other stats:

GPA: 3.73 from Columbia Uni.
~250 hours clinical research volunteering
a bit over 1.5 year full-time research assistant for nobel laureate (with rec letter, hoping this helps my app)
Second author paper Submitted but not published yet (should be before interviews, hopefully!)
And some other conferences/jobs/activities for ECs.
International status, not URM

Do I even have a shot? If I retook the MCAT, I would have to take it within a month to make it this cycle, would it even be possible to improve with enough points that it would be worth it? I have exhausted most practice exams already, including all 3 from AAMC.

I already postponed applying last year because I wanted more research experience and don't think I could wait another year..Thoughts? Maybe giving it a shot and possibly be re-applicant next year, would that be a major disadvantage?

Current schools on my list:

Columbia (because of my undergrad + my research is at their medical center)
Cornell (only because I did clinical research there and have a rec letter from one of their docs)
Dartmouth
MC of Wisconsin
Penn State
Rutgers (both RWJ and NJ)
UConn
Jefferson
SUNY Upstate

Any I should add?

Grateful for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I usually root on my fellow MCAT underdogs, but given you're international status...I hate to say it, but it's unlikely you'll get into a MD/PhD program with that score. International students generally need much stronger credentials and generally have less spots available to them. I'd say your best bet is to retake the MCAT and try to get a better score or apply straight MD and maintain your research connections in hopes of getting in as an internal applicant (and even this is sub optimal). Taking an extra year to study more and build your research (despite your misgivings about this) is also a solid plan.

If you really want to apply this year, you'll also need a broader school list. With a lot more safeties.

Good luck!

I usually root on my fellow MCAT underdogs, but given you're international status...I hate to say it, but it's unlikely you'll get into a MD/PhD program with that score. International students generally need much stronger credentials and generally have less spots available to them. I'd say your best bet is to retake the MCAT and try to get a better score or apply straight MD and maintain your research connections in hopes of getting in as an internal applicant (and even this is sub optimal). Taking an extra year to study more and build your research (despite your misgivings about this) is also a solid plan.

If you really want to apply this year, you'll also need a broader school list. With a lot more safeties.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. Most programs have on their website that they evaluate internationals the same as residents/does not consider status etc. I would not be able to apply for straight MD because of the demands they put on internationals (1 or 2 years upfront funding/escrow account etc). Would re-taking the MCAT within a month and improving 'enough' even be possible? So unsure at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's always what they say they do and what they actually do. It sucks, but at least from what I've seen international applicants are held to a higher degree of standards than the US applicants. I suspect funding has a lot to do with this. There have been other posts regarding this issue- I'm sure others on this forum (particularly internationals) can chime in on this.

I can't say if improving enough in this time period is possible since I don't know how well you did on your practice exams. But if you truly feel like your score was a fluke and you can do better on the next try go ahead. You might wanna ask folks on the mcat forum about this since I took the mcat before the big change.

Lastly...I strongly advise against using your reasoning for not applying MD only as your reason for applying MD/PhD if they ask...

Reactions: 1 user
There's always what they say they do and what they actually do. It sucks, but at least from what I've seen international applicants are held to a higher degree of standards than the US applicants. I suspect funding has a lot to do with this. There have been other posts regarding this issue- I'm sure others on this forum (particularly internationals) can chime in on this.

I can't say if improving enough in this time period is possible since I don't know how well you did on your practice exams. But if you truly feel like your score was a fluke and you can do better on the next try go ahead. You might wanna ask folks on the mcat forum about this since I took the mcat before the big change.

Lastly...I strongly advise against using your reasoning for not applying MD only as your reason for applying MD/PhD if they ask...

I figured they do.. I did score around 506 on my practice so I can't say it was a complete fluke but I convinced myself I would do much better on the real deal, especially since I often took full-length practice after working a full day and thought I was just exhausted/not ideal to real situation. Maybe I'll give a few small schools a shot and re-take and re-apply next year if no one takes me. I should have 2 publications out by next year too, maybe that would help..

Oh yes I would not, I mean financing isn't The reason anyways, I actually do want to do the dual because of my interest in research. But in worst case, if it was not for the financing problem, I could settle for an MD only and transfer into a dual later/do other research/ still do research as a doc etc. But with my status I could not even go that route unfortunately.

Hey guys,

I was so bummed when I received my MCAT this summer (125/125/128/128) total 506. I'm applying to MD/PhD programs and feel like my score is not even close to what could get me accepted.. Other stats:

GPA: 3.73 from Columbia Uni.
~250 hours clinical research volunteering
a bit over 1.5 year full-time research assistant for nobel laureate (with rec letter, hoping this helps my app)
Second author paper Submitted but not published yet (should be before interviews, hopefully!)
And some other conferences/jobs/activities for ECs.
International status, not URM

Do I even have a shot? If I retook the MCAT, I would have to take it within a month to make it this cycle, would it even be possible to improve with enough points that it would be worth it? I have exhausted most practice exams already, including all 3 from AAMC.

I already postponed applying last year because I wanted more research experience and don't think I could wait another year..Thoughts? Maybe giving it a shot and possibly be re-applicant next year, would that be a major disadvantage?

Current schools on my list:

Columbia (because of my undergrad + my research is at their medical center)
Cornell (only because I did clinical research there and have a rec letter from one of their docs)
Dartmouth
MC of Wisconsin
Penn State
Rutgers (both RWJ and NJ)
UConn
Jefferson
SUNY Upstate

Any I should add?

Grateful for any input.
Its end of july already. If you retook the mcat in a month, that means you wouldn't have a score until September. This would put you significantly behind in the MD only cycle.
If you're dead-set on applying this year, my opinion would be to apply only md/phd, and focus on funded non-mstp programs. These may actually be more international friendly, since money is private, not from NIH. However, if you're unwilling to go to one of these schools, you may need to reconsider your decision to apply this year. of course, if you don't apply, then your chances of getting in this year would be exactly 0%.

Its end of july already. If you retook the mcat in a month, that means you wouldn't have a score until September. This would put you significantly behind in the MD only cycle.
If you're dead-set on applying this year, my opinion would be to apply only md/phd, and focus on funded non-mstp programs. These may actually be more international friendly, since money is private, not from NIH. However, if you're unwilling to go to one of these schools, you may need to reconsider your decision to apply this year. of course, if you don't apply, then your chances of getting in this year would be exactly 0%.

I am certainly set on applying MD/PhD only and have decided not to retake because as you said, it both puts me late in the cycle and I'm not guaranteed to do better in such short time. Also, new score in September would mean my undergrad committee letter would not be done until October also. I'm gonna give a few small schools a shot, better than not trying at all! Thank you!