This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galwaygirl12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just a little torn on what to do. My options either include doing a gap year (I graduate undegrad this year so hopefully I can do a masters program) or applying and seeing my chances this cycle. I am hoping to do MD. If not, I plan on retaking it early next year (already ripping my hair thinking about studying all over again). I haven't ever really considered DO, but the more I read threads, the more I might consider. What are my chances for both?

A few details:
GPA: 3.86sGPA, 3.76cGPA
MCAT: 501: 127,124,125,125
African American female
FL resident (I'm planning to apply to all MD FL schools)
Clinical volunteering (100+) and non clinical (200+)
Shadowing (25), but I've been scribing for over a year (also promoted) and have like 900+hrs
Honors Thesis
Study Abroad
And then some other org group leadership and membership, research volunteering, and mentoring (if you want more specifics I'll provide!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just a little torn on what to do. My options either include doing a gap year (I graduate undegrad this year so hopefully I can do a masters program) or applying and seeing my chances this cycle. I am hoping to do MD. If not, I plan on retaking it early next year (already ripping my hair thinking about studying all over again). I haven't ever really considered DO, but the more I read threads, the more I might consider. What are my chances for both?

A few details:
African American
FL resident (I'm willing to apply to all MD FL schools, except FSU is still eh for me)
Shadowing (25), but I've been scribing for over a year (also promoted) and have like 900+hrs
Honors Thesis
Study Abroad
And then some other org group leadership and membership, research volunteering, and mentoring (if you want more specifics I'll provide!)

Also would like to note I got a 124 in CARS, which I've seen that some schools filter for at least a 125 in each area

Your MCAT is low for most MD schools though with your URM status it could be enough to receive some IIs. Why not simply retake the MCAT if you're aware that your score isn't as competitive as you'd like it to be?

My advice would be to apply selectively by checking out the MSAR and submitting your application only to schools that show you have a decent chance.

For DO, you could get in almost anywhere with your MCAT and URM status but the last credential would be your GPA which you haven't posted so I can't comment with much confidence.

Reapplying is an uphill battle and when doing so you must display a significant increase in your metrics for admission. Keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is low for most MD schools though with your URM status it could be enough to receive some IIs. Why not simply retake the MCAT if you're aware that your score isn't as competitive as you'd like it to be?

My advice would be to apply selectively by checking out the MSAR and submitting your application only to schools that show you have a decent chance.

For DO, you could get in almost anywhere with your MCAT and URM status but the last credential would be your GPA which you haven't posted so I can't comment with much confidence.

Reapplying is an uphill battle and when doing so you must display a significant increase in your metrics for admission. Keep that in mind.

I posted my GPA in the title, but it's 3.86cGPA and 3.76sGPA. Yeah, I realized reapplying would be worst than just applying when I feel 100% confident with my score...a lot of thinking to do. Also I am open to retaking the mCAT I just feel I prepared a decent amount this time around so I'm bummed and pained to redo it all again aha. Thanks for the comment!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think retaking the MCAT while working in healthcare and volunteering would greatly strengthen your application. You could be a DO fall of 2018 if there are no red flags, decent LOR, and if your essays are solid.

FL resident (I'm willing to apply to all MD FL schools, except FSU is still eh for me)
Beggars can't be choosers. If you want to be an MD cast a wide net and destroy the MCAT. I had better stats than you from a similar state and applied to 35 schools (many of which weren't as exciting or prestigious as my dream schools). Just think would I rather be at *insert school* or a re-applicant. This reasoning helped make the decision very clear to me.
Good luck! I am sure you will do great.

I think retaking the MCAT while working in healthcare and volunteering would greatly strengthen your application. You could be a DO fall of 2018 if there are no red flags, decent LOR, and if your essays are solid.

Beggars can't be choosers. If you want to be an MD cast a wide net and destroy the MCAT. I had better stats than you from a similar state and applied to 35 schools (many of which weren't as exciting or prestigious as my dream schools). Just think would I rather be at *insert school* or a re-applicant. This reasoning helped make the decision very clear to me.
Good luck! I am sure you will do great.

So are you suggesting retaking MCAT for this cycle? I would be too rushed imo. I never had a gap year planned, but it might be the course. I'm going to pick up studying now and test around and see how I am. And yes I know beggars can't be choosers haha, I'd still apply but from the first moment I just never liked the program or the school (no offense to anyone). But thank you!!

So are you suggesting retaking MCAT for this cycle? I would be too rushed imo. I never had a gap year planned, but it might be the course. I'm going to pick up studying now and test around and see how I am. And yes I know beggars can't be choosers haha, I'd still apply but from the first moment I just never liked the program or the school (no offense to anyone). But thank you!!

I think it would be unwise to apply to any MD school without a gap year. Taking the MCAT will take time, especially if you want to improve your score. I was unclear in my previous post, apologies.

Its definitely wise to apply to as many schools as you would attend and have a realistic chance of getting an acceptance. I just wanted to point that out so that you can be sure to maximize your chances. Its good to know your limits as far as what schools you would and wouldn't attend.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a greater than 80% chance for a MD acceptance with your current GPA and MCAT score. Definitely apply to all your Florida schools and include NOVA MD if it opens for 2018. These are other schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Reactions: 1 users
I think it would be unwise to apply to any MD school without a gap year. Taking the MCAT will take time, especially if you want to improve your score. I was unclear in my previous post, apologies.

Its definitely wise to apply to as many schools as you would attend and have a realistic chance of getting an acceptance. I just wanted to point that out so that you can be sure to maximize your chances. Its good to know your limits as far as what schools you would and wouldn't attend.

Yes that is true. I would consider applying DO this cycle, but don't want to try without at least applying MD also (even if that means retaking MCAT)...Let the studying begin

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a greater than 80% chance for a MD acceptance with your current GPA and MCAT score. Definitely apply to all your Florida schools and include NOVA MD if it opens for 2018. These are other schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Quite a list. I would actually have a chance at these? Of course my top choices would be my FL schools, but I don't want to risk the chances of not getting in this cycle and then having to apply as a reapplicant.

Yes, you do have a chance for interviews at those schools because of your excellent GPA. Your Florida schools and Howard, Morehouse and Meharry are where your best chances are.

A few details:
African American female
FL resident (I'm planning to apply to all MD FL schools, except FSU is still eh for me)
Honors Thesis
Study Abroad

How did you study and how long?

How did you study and how long?

I started reading study material in December (EK books), but didn't start really practicing with questions til March. I took Biochem and tutored for Gen Chem II in the spring so that was a lot of refresher/new material needed for my Mcat (May test date). I also took a Kaplan course (honestly didn't think it helped that much, gave great resources though). Used Kaplan and all AAMC and Khan Academy videos. I'll probably broaden my resources this time around with NS and I've heard Anki is good with Psych/Soc (It's the sociology that gets me).

I started reading study material in December (EK books), but didn't start really practicing with questions til March. I took Biochem and tutored for Gen Chem II in the spring so that was a lot of refresher/new material needed for my Mcat (May test date). I also took a Kaplan course (honestly didn't think it helped that much, gave great resources though). Used Kaplan and all AAMC and Khan Academy videos. I'll probably broaden my resources this time around with NS and I've heard Anki is good with Psych/Soc (It's the sociology that gets me).

Are the AAMC videos free? I have TPR bundle, but I'm not pleased. I was thinking about purchasing the AAMC bundle for $238 and supplementing with khan academy videos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the AAMC videos free? I have TPR bundle, but I'm not pleased. I was thinking about purchasing the AAMC bundle for $238 and supplementing with khan academy videos.

Not AAMC videos, I meant like the Qpacks and practice tests and such. All came with Kaplan course and FAP. I think AAMC material is worth it if used effectively.

Not AAMC videos, I meant like the Qpacks and practice tests and such. All came with Kaplan course and FAP. I think AAMC material is worth it if used effectively.

Thanks! Also, there are Anki flashcards available for download that others have posted on reddit mcat.

The average MCAT for African Americans who were accepted to medical school last year according to AAMC was 502.5 with a SD of 6. The average accepted cGPA was a 3.5. Whether you apply or not is up to you; however, that MCAT will not hold you back from getting accepted.

The average MCAT for African Americans who were accepted to medical school last year according to AAMC was 502.5 with a SD of 6. The average accepted cGPA was a 3.5. Whether you apply or not is up to you; however, that MCAT will not hold you back from getting accepted.
Thanks for the response! I know I have a chance at probably the historically black schools, but I don't wanna sell myself short yet...I at least want a good shot at applying to my instate schools. Ultimately I feel like my MCAT could be better

Thanks for the response! I know I have a chance at probably the historically black schools, but I don't wanna sell myself short yet...I at least want a good shot at applying to my instate schools. Ultimately I feel like my MCAT could be better
It is an honor to attend any of the HBCU-affiliated medical schools.

Reactions: 9 users
It is an honor to attend any of the HBCU-affiliated medical schools.
I'm well aware! I just would like to not only apply to them without any FL schools (which if possible I would prefer to stay here) just because my chances are greater. I don't ever want to wonder what if...if that makes sense. I'm not in a rush to get to med school so another year to apply wouldn't be too much of a bummer.

I'm not in a rush to get to med school so another year to apply wouldn't be too much of a bummer.
WOW! Someone who is NOT in a rush to get to med school? :p That's not something we hear every day! Are you sick or something? Should we take your temperature? ;)

WOW! Someone who is NOT in a rush to get to med school? :p That's not something we hear every day! Are you sick or something? Should we take your temperature? ;)
Haha I mean, the sooner the better of course! But I'm still young, and I know this is going to be the rest of my life

Why do you say that? The more I read, a 501 is a risky score to apply with even as an URM
I'm not too sure where you read that...maybe here on sdn but a 3.86 and 501 black urm with decent ECs and well written essays should receive interviews with a good school list.

You have an 80%+ chance but if you feel that you could improve your MCAT, then by all means have at it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to aim higher and applying with the best application. Also a gap year(s) can be a blessing in more ways than one.

Good luck :)

I'm not too sure where you read that...maybe here on sdn but a 3.86 and 501 black urm with decent ECs and well written essays should receive interviews with a good school list.

You have an 80%+ chance but if you feel that you could improve your MCAT, then by all means have at it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to aim higher and applying with the best application. Also a gap year(s) can be a blessing in more ways than one.

Good luck :)
I wonder what the 80% chance entails though like where. Do you think I have a shot at any of my FL MD schools? If you know about those.

What are the 10th percentiles for the mcat for the Florida schools? Do you have msar?
Yes I have MSAR.
Lowest 10th percentiles are FSU 498 (median is 505) and FIU 504 (median is 510) and UCF 505 (median is 510). Rest are 506 and higher

If money is not an option then you should definitely apply to the schools @Faha mentioned above. From all the SDN reading I do, most people suggest at least a 510 to be competitive for MD schools. Good luck to you! :)

Yes I have MSAR.
Lowest 10th percentiles are FSU 498 (median is 505) and FIU 504 (median is 510) and UCF 505 (median is 510). Rest are 506 and higher
Ok...well if you only are interested in applying to your state schools then I guess you could retake the MCAT. Faha have you a good list and your stats are fine but you ultimately choose which route to take.

I don't recommend trying to retake this summer though and trying to put in a late application. You don't want the score to go down. I guess a gap year is needed and there's no rush to get in :).

Good luck

Ok...well if you only are interested in applying to your state schools then I guess you could retake the MCAT. Faha have you a good list and your stats are fine but you ultimately choose which route to take.

I don't recommend trying to retake this summer though and trying to put in a late application. You don't want the score to go down. I guess a gap year is needed and there's no rush to get in :).

Good luck
Yeah it's a very struggled decision lol. And no, I was going to give myself some time to take it again, I wouldn't be prepared if I took it this summer. Thanks for everything!

A few details:
African American female
FL resident (I'm planning to apply to all MD FL schools)
Honors Thesis
Study Abroad
Our cGPA and sGPA's are almost exactly the same, and we're both FL residents! I'll be sure to keep up with your progress, good luck!