4th year DO student low boards score- chances of matching peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

respeds08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm a fourth year DO student with poor board scores. I passed both COMLEX I and II on the first try, but barely did so (passing on comlex is 400).
COMLEX I- 412
COMLEX II- 402
C.S.- Passed
(Didn't take USMLE)
I am a poor test taker, no doubt, but I'm not saying that as an excuse.
I have a ton of volunteer activities, have presented a dozen times, 2 research presentations, stellar LORs and High Honors in all my clinical rotations except for two of them (9/11 rotations were high honors)

Question: I've been offered one interview, which went well, but haven't heard from other programs as of yet. A) Should I go into panic mode? B) How can I make the best of this situation?

P.S. Please keep your comments positive. I hope you'll post useful advice and not use the space to pass judgements.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

How many places did you apply to? If you already interviewed I'm assuming you applied AOA, did you apply to any ACGME DO heavy schools?

I'm a 4th year DO student too, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I'm in a similar, though not as bad, situation and my plan is to start calling some programs to express interest (don't know how well this will work) at the end of next week or the week after. I'm trying to be hopeful because it's still early and some jerk at the institution where I am currently rotating was kind enough to complain that she "only had 25 interviews so far" so hopefully those people will eventually realize that 25 interviews for peds residency is unnecessary and will cancel some and we will get a few more.

Other than continuing to express interest I'm not sure what else there is to do. Applying to more programs in peds or family med at this point seems silly to me because it will be obvious they were not your top choice.

Don't panic, it won't help anything. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@respeds08 how did you get involved to have two research presentations? (speaking as an OMS1 trying to find peds research projects with no luck this far)

Members don't see this ad :)
With just one interview this late into the season I would think it is time to talk to someone. Is there an advisor with your school that can help?

Is it really late? Still a month to go before you panic, but would be wise to talk to a school adviser.

I'm in a similar boat regarding interviews. 4th year DO student
COMLEX I- 417
COMLEX II- 531
C.S.- Passed
No research in med school (2 pubs from Undergrad but irrelevent to peds)
decent ECs (volunteering, community service)
Also didn't take USMLE
I applied broadly to AOA (All of the 13 AOA Peds programs) and DO friendly ACGME programs (like 60+ places)
So far just 1 AOA interview (At a place i did a Sub-I at) and one 1 ACGME interview (also a place I did a Sub-I at). I'm worried that these are just mercy interviews because i rotated at these places, and I'm kind of freaking out right now because it's been eerily silent even after MSPEs were released.

Any advice on what to do next?

"Mercy interviews" are not a thing. If they didn't like you, they wouldn't have offered you an invite, period. They saw that you are a normal human so they offered you an interview. I just saw a thread from last year about how many interviews people had around this point and some people recommended applying to more places, but I'm skeptical. I agree with sliceofbread and lalamoosa, probably best to talk to someone at your school, then in a few weeks start making some calls.

I'll be watching this thread closely. Rooting for you guys as I have a low comlex score as well and considering Peds.

Is Peds more academic focused than FM?

Just wanted to post an update- 4 interviews so far--> 2 at AOA and 2 at ACGME; I've also gotten 2 interview wait lists.
The wait lists are both at big ticket, academic centers.
Just trying to pass on some hope where it might be needed and oh ya, keep myself sane through this process :-D

@respeds08 how did you get involved to have two research presentations? (speaking as an OMS1 trying to find peds research projects with no luck this far)
- I approached my school and found an advisor who would be willing to get on board. I worked with him and came up with an IRB proposal that was approved by my school and helped get the research ball rolling.

Just wanted to post an update- 4 interviews so far--> 2 at AOA and 2 at ACGME; I've also gotten 2 interview wait lists.
The wait lists are both at big ticket, academic centers.
Just trying to pass on some hope where it might be needed and oh ya, keep myself sane through this process :-D

- I approached my school and found an advisor who would be willing to get on board. I worked with him and came up with an IRB proposal that was approved by my school and helped get the research ball rolling.
I know it means nothing coming from a random person on an anonymous medical forum buuuuut i'm happy for you, man! Fingers crossed those two waitlists turn into interviews and your list grows!

Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 users
4 acgme interviews- 3/4 are well known academic centers and 1 community hospital
2 AOA interviews with 1 hospital where the PD told me they'd rank me.
2 interview waitlists.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to wait until after match to post.

DO Student
Comlex I: 421
Comlex II: 545

No research in med school. Tons of leadership. SGA and national clubs. Also non citizen so needed to be sponsored for a work visa for residency.

2 AOA interviews
3 Acgme interviews

3/5 interview invite were places I rotated through.

If you're a weaker/borderline applicant an audition rotation can really help you out. 2 PDs straight up told me they were glad I rotated through their place or otherwise they will would have probably screened me out due to my scores.

So of course it would be ideal to just do better on boards, but if you end up in the situation where you havent done so hot, don't let it get you down. Focus on what you can still change and control. Put in the work to make every other aspect of your application top notch, and work your butt off on your auditions.

I did match!! #NEVERGIVEUP
- I matched into an ACGME progam in New York City!

Reactions: 5 users
Comlex Level I 491
Comlex Level II 489
Passed PE

Good CV, research, community service and strong LoR.
I'm applying to AOA and ACGME.
Thoughts on how I may do in terms of interviews from ACGME programs? I'm nervous my scores are too low and I haven't taken USMLE.

Comlex Level I 491
Comlex Level II 489
Passed PE

Good CV, research, community service and strong LoR.
I'm applying to AOA and ACGME.
Thoughts on how I may do in terms of interviews from ACGME programs? I'm nervous my scores are too low and I haven't taken USMLE.

I applied 2 years ago now, had about 10 points lower on both levels, applied to 35-40 programs and if I remember correctly got 13 interviews, went on 11 and matched top choice ACGME in the north east (had rotated there), didn't apply AOA. Also had good CV with research and tons of community service and strong LOR. I imagine competition continues to increase and people are continuing to apply to more programs, but I think you'll be fine as long as you are applying broadly to places that have current DOs and you aren't a jerk. I didn't get a ton of interviews at the very beginning, more like 0-2/week which totally freaked me out at the beginning. If mid-november you don't have a decent number, start calling places.

Somewhere along the interview trail a PD said that a level 1 score somewhere in the mid 400s (sorry don't remember exactly) was indicative that you would pass peds boards and I was above that, so you are too.

Good luck!

edit: I did take step 2 (long story) and did average, but no one really talked about it. I don't think that really helped me, just got some questions as to why i did that, so wouldn't recommend.

Comlex 1 460
Comlex 2 536
PE score not yet back
Honored peds rotation, strong LORs
Applied to 36 programs (geographic limitations due to spouse's job)
3 interviews so far
Trying not to get to worried yet but not having a lot of success. My school seems to think that interview invites may be trickling off already which is disturbing to say the least.

Comlex 1 460
Comlex 2 536
PE score not yet back
Honored peds rotation, strong LORs
Applied to 36 programs (geographic limitations due to spouse's job)
3 interviews so far
Trying not to get to worried yet but not having a lot of success. My school seems to think that interview invites may be trickling off already which is disturbing to say the least.

Any update?

I have very similar scores if you reverse the Level 1 and Level 2. So far have 5 interviews. I high passed peds, have peds research experience and a couple of publications. I think LORs are strong- I was told they would be. Applied to ~50 programs in the NE and MidAtlantic. Worried now that it’s getting to late October and I’ve heard > 80% of all peds II’s go out before end of October.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Emails from several programs saying they are "carefully reviewing each application" and will let me know one way or the other by the end of the month. Mostly though its just been total silence. The interviews that I do have are from my top choices so I'm glad about that. Otherwise, I'm hoping a few more trickle in as the more desirable folks realize they've overdone it and start cancelling.