4th year and Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjpod48

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year student and I'm having trouble finding information on how the 4th year works. I understand that you are on your clinical rotations but how long are those rotations? Can you do all of them at one place? Where can you go for these? On top of that, how does that then translate to residencies and applying/matching with one?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply for clerkships 3rd year. There's a relatively uniform process where you'll go to a website and apply in cycles till you have what you need.
Hopefully get the clerkships you want in the order you want them.
Arrange a schedule that fits your schools requirement for matriculation. Some schools allow more clerkships, some allow fewer.
The majority of clerkships are at residencies.
Visit clerkships/residencies during 4th year. Wow them. Write them nice thank you letters. Keep in touch with them and continue to express interest.
Apply for interviews at programs you went to and then ask for interviews at some more programs.
Interview with them.
Match.
Win.

Or
Scramble.
Pray.
Pray.
Pray.
Maybe still win/redefine success.
Make the most of it. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently a first year student and I'm having trouble finding information on how the 4th year works. I understand that you are on your clinical rotations but how long are those rotations? Can you do all of them at one place? Where can you go for these? On top of that, how does that then translate to residencies and applying/matching with one?

All great questions for the senior podiatry students at your school, a 30min conversation over beers will get you much more candid info than Internet forums

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can podiatry residents moonlight?
I wouldn't go as far as AnkleBreaker and say flat-out "no." I know of residents that have moonlighted, and we even looked into it a bit in my residency, but I will agree that there are few residents that moonlight and most residencies will keep you busy enough where you won't want to be moonlighting.