4-week or 6-week study schedule for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dupree

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could somebody please recommend a good 4-week or 6-week study schedule for Step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Hercules said:
Have you looked at some of the ones under the Step 1 study guides thread?

yes i have. but i would like to hear about anymore study schedules that people found helpful.

I will briefly outline what I did for step 1. I didn't take the USMLE, I only took the COMLEX, but the study schedule is applicable for both. I cannot remember exactly what I did for each subject but here is a rough estimate.

Anatomy: 2 days
Physiology: 3 days
Histology: 1.5 days
Micro: 3 days
Pathology: 4 days
Pharm: 4 days
Biochem: 1.5

I think it was very similar to that. Then I had a individual daily schedule that went something like this:

8-9am: Quiz/review from the day before (with study partner)
9-1pm: Study (audio lectures/First Aid)
1-2pm: Lunch
3-7: Study
7-8pm: Work out/personal time
8-11pm: Practice questions

That is what I did for 3.5 weeks. Then for the remaining 1.5 weeks, I went thru First Aid again and did practice questions. I did not take a review course or anything like that. I just had a study partner, Gold Standard CDs, my First Aid book and extra books depending on my subject at hand. For me, the key was practice questions. By the time the exam came around, I was doing over 300 questions a day. I bought Kaplan Qbank from COMLEX and did them religiously. I also had a classmate who had Qbank for USMLE, so we did questions together at night as well.

That is what worked for me. I passed (above average).

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email/PM me

Chris