4.0 GPA, 525 MCAT, okay ECs. Please help with my schools list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plasticdiscoball

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Top 20 (other than UWash and Baylor) + a couple mid tiers

I would remove USF unless you really want to go there. Remove Wake Forest.

Add Harvard and friends (Stanford, Duke, Yale, Vanderbilt, UChicago, Cornell, Northwestern, etc)

Edited Schools List
  • Columbia
  • Cornell
  • Duke
  • Einstein
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Northwestern
  • NYU
  • Rochester
  • Stanford
  • UC Davis
  • UCI
  • UCSD
  • UCSF
  • UMiami
  • UMichigan
  • UPenn
  • USC Keck
  • UWisconsin
  • UVA?
  • Vanderbilt
  • WashU
  • Yale
Took Hofstra, UChicago, Wake Forest, USF, and Mayo off
Added Cornell, Duke, Northwestern, Wisconsin, UVA, Vanderbilt, and Yale. Remove Wisconsin/UVA if you like.
Hofstra: no need, I think your bases are covered
UChicago: replace this with northwestern.
Mayo: I dunno if applying to mayo is worth your time. I don't think it'll be a high-yield application for you, as in I doubt that it'll end up being your one and only choice, and you're not going to go there if you have other similar choices. It's a strange program and really only advisable for people who have their hearts set on it. Not worth applying to just because its a big name in medicine.
USF: no need
Wake Forest: no need

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 20 (other than UWash and Baylor) + a couple mid tiers

I would remove USF unless you really want to go there. Remove Wake Forest.

Add Harvard and friends (Stanford, Duke, Yale, Vanderbilt, UChicago, Cornell, Northwestern, etc)

Thank you for your help!
I will keep USF since I have a lot of friends/family in the area and would be quite happy to go there. I will remove Wake Forest.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the top 20s! I'll add a few more to my list. But I had assumed I wouldn't have much of a chance at those schools since my ECs aren't anything extraordinary.

Thank you for your help!
I will keep USF since I have a lot of friends/family in the area and would be quite happy to go there. I will remove Wake Forest.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the top 20s! I'll add a few more to my list. But I had assumed I wouldn't have much of a chance at those schools since my ECs aren't anything extraordinary.

They're good enough. I can essentially guarantee you multiple top 20 interviews. The acceptances, then, are up to you. The more top 20s you apply to, the better shot you have of going to one.

Edited Schools List
Took Hofstra, UChicago, Wake Forest, USF, and Mayo off
Added Cornell, Duke, Northwestern, Wisconsin, UVA, Vanderbilt, and Yale. Remove Wisconsin/UVA if you like.
Hofstra: no need, I think your bases are covered
UChicago: replace this with northwestern.
Mayo: I dunno if applying to mayo is worth your time. I don't think it'll be a high-yield application for you, as in I doubt that it'll end up being your one and only choice, and you're not going to go there if you have other similar choices. It's a strange program and really only advisable for people who have their hearts set on it. Not worth applying to just because its a big name in medicine.
USF: no need
Wake Forest: no need

Would you mind elaborating on why I should apply to Northwestern instead of UChicago? Just curious.

I think I will be removing Wisconsin/UVA since I don't really like the location. Thank you for all the other suggestions though, will definitely be adding them to my list!

Interesting point about Mayo. I think I'll be removing it from my list.

Thanks again for your help!

I'd say any top 10s that interest you + your favorites of the next 15 or so.

Lmao at "meh ECs" for four years of research with pub, hundreds of hours volunteering and working clinically

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say any top 10s that interest you + your favorites of the next 15 or so.

Lmao at "meh ECs" for four years of research with pub, hundreds of hours volunteering and working clinically

Lmao sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a dick. There are so many superstars posting on SDN that sometimes it's hard to gauge yourself!

This is the optimal solution

unless you don't want to

That's probably what I'll do. I was just curious why the other user actually recommended replacing with Northwestern rather than just adding it to the list.

Lmao sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a dick. There are so many superstars posting on SDN that sometimes it's hard to gauge yourself!
Oh don't worry I just came from a thread about someone that got into all of the top 5 including a full ride. SDN is insane.

FWIW, I applied with stupid levels of top-heaviness, with similar numbers to yours, and with what I think are less impressive ECs (the big one being only 1 year research). It went good. You are going to get fantastic interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's probably what I'll do. I was just curious why the other user actually recommended replacing with Northwestern rather than just adding it to the list.

There's not a legitimate reason

Oh don't worry I just came from a thread about someone that got into all of the top 5 including a full ride. SDN is insane.

FWIW, I applied with stupid levels of top-heaviness, with similar numbers to yours, and with what I think are less impressive ECs (the big one being only 1 year research). It went well. You are going to get fantastic interviews.

ftfy

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, I applied with stupid levels of top-heaviness, with similar numbers to yours, and with what I think are less impressive ECs (the big one being only 1 year research). It went good. You are going to get fantastic interviews.

Thanks for the pep talk!! Crossing my fingers!

who's wedgie
giphy.gif