35 y/o dad applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jac11115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 32 y/o dad about two years away from applying to med school. I want to obtain a board certification in anesthesiology with a sub specialty in critical care . I am currently about to begin working as an anesthesia tech at Baptist Hospital in Miami, FL while finishing my bachelor to pay the bills. My interest in anesthesia has developed in my time as an or tech asst. My interest in critical care comes bc my girl is a critical care rn and it'd be neat working with patients of such high acuity.

I'm 100% committed to my goal but it's scary to think ill be in my mid 30s as an MS1. I guess I'm just looking for support and guidance. Tips and tricks to help guys in my shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 32 y/o dad about two years away from applying to med school. I want to obtain a dual board certification in anesthesia and critical care. I am currently about to begin working as an anesthesia tech at Baptist Hospital in Miami, FL while finishing my bachelor to pay the bills. My interest in anesthesia has developed in my time as an or tech asst. My interest in critical care comes bc my fiancé is a critical care rn and it'd be neat working with patients of such high acuity.

I'm 100% committed to my goal but it's scary to think ill be in my mid 30s as an MS1. I guess I'm just looking for support and guidance. Tips and tricks to help guys in my shoes.

Meet your peeps: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly your classmates won't care. 35 isn't that old for medical school. I think the oldest person entering my class was 35, and a couple classes above me had a 52 year old. You're probably young enough that ageism won't be a problem, but idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
@KinesiologyNerd thanks for the reply. I'm not afraid of ageism at all. I just want to hear from people who've had similar situations and what they did to succeed. At this point I'm 100% committed to doing it I'm just looking to leaning on success stories for support.

I can't offer any helpful advice but want to say best of luck!! :)

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

I'm a 32 y/o dad about two years away from applying to med school. I want to obtain a dual board certification in anesthesia and critical care. I am currently about to begin working as an anesthesia tech at Baptist Hospital in Miami, FL while finishing my bachelor to pay the bills. My interest in anesthesia has developed in my time as an or tech asst. My interest in critical care comes bc my fiancé is a critical care rn and it'd be neat working with patients of such high acuity.

I'm applying in less than 5 weeks. Will hit the submit button. Then pay the hefty fee. Then press on to 7/9 when I sit for the MCAT.

Shortly thereafter, I will drink champagne as I celebrate... my 52nd birthday... possibly with a dear friend of mine who is 55 at an allopathic med school.

You are definitely NOT too old but you just might be ... too young :p (j/k ... go for it!)

Reactions: 5 users
@KinesiologyNerd thanks for the reply. I'm not afraid of ageism at all. I just want to hear from people who've had similar situations and what they did to succeed. At this point I'm 100% committed to doing it I'm just looking to leaning on success stories for support.

My FIU interviewer (which would be your best option since you are in Miami) either started med school or finished at 36. FIU also showed us their nursery room for students who had kids/were pregnant during med school. They seemed to have more support specifically for non-trads than the other schools I visited, so you definitely would be fine there

Last edited:
@Mansamusa thanks for the reply. I'm definitely hoping to get into FIU since its next to my house and I'll be taking my pre-reqs there. A friend of mine graduated a year ago and speaks highly of it.

My science gpa is a 4.0 , I work in a major local hospital and I've coached little league baseball as a volunteer for 6 years. I'm hoping that with a good mcat score I'll be able to get in. My girl is applying now to fiu and um for their nurse practitioner program. She'll be finishing up by the time I'm getting into med school

Last edited:

Keep the dream alive, man. No one is going to care about your age in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 28 with two kidlets this fall when med school starts. Don't give up. Your sGPA is perfect, but don't sweat it if you can't maintain a 4.0. Chug through it.

Number one piece of advice when you have kids/spouse and getting through the pre-med life: make a schedule and stick to it.

Study time? Schedule it. Work? Schedule it. Time with spouse? Schedule it. Time with kids (ouch...)? Schedule it.

Sounds mundane and tiresome, but it will give you a sense of control and calm through the whole thing. Do your schedule. Do it well. Then go to med school and kill that schedule too.

Did I forget to mention make a great schedule?

I applied and was accepted as a 37 year old father. Just be 100% sure you know what you are getting in to.
I'm only an MS-1 so I can't speak too much for the later years but, MS-1 is pretty grueling but, manageable if you have a good support system.

But you will have to prioritize and budget your time.

I'm applying this cycle, and if I'm lucky, I'll be matriculating at 36 with three kids. No advice yet, but the admissions department at my #1 school said that roughly 5% of each class is over 30, so at least we aren't alone.

This is so refreshing to hear. I'm glad I can relate to so many people. For those of you getting in now or current ms1's please continue to update your progress on my thread. When times get tough, which they will, just remember that myself and plenty of older dads are fighting tooth and nail to get a taste of what you've already accomplished. God bless all of us so we can one day use our skills and knowledge to give back to our communities.

First 4 years will suck, financially speaking, but you will start making ~55k during residency which isn't bad. Age isn't a deal. Kids get a little rough (I have some myself), but with a strong and supportive spouse it's much easier.

Once you get into the system you'll likely do just fine. It's a marathon not a sprint. Think of the long term goal and work towards it each day.

keep in mind I'm always the doom and gloom here

my school just had the sort of vibe that the older students were considered just.... awesome to have. mature. super cool. respected. admired for their dedication. I mean, at that age most have a lot of life experience *and* are walking away from careers to start over, with slower brains (this is true, the older you get the harder it is to learn high volumes), so there's no doubt to most they are doing medicine for the right reasons, and it usually isn't to impress their parents or get laid.

the downsides some have told me....
they were more tired. this is biology. the ones in their 30s/40s with babies/prepubescent kids did not stand up to the 36 hr shifts in the middle of the 90 hour week in ob/gyn rotation capped by the studying for the shelf given at the end as did not stand up as well physically.... they were not the ones meeting us at the bar after. we were all tired but they looked tired-er
they felt they had to spend more time studying/memorizing for the same grades as the younger kids, (but some felt more "efficient" in that many sort of already knew their learning styles, how to organize, find work/life balance, work independently, etc)
some were sickened by some of the immaturity you'll witness from 23 yos dealing with the mature context of healthcare
it's not unusual to have attendings and residents younger than you (everyone is more mature by then... but it's all relative to whatever they were when they started) treating you like a kid.... there's something odd about being a 37 year old with 3 kids asking a 28 year old if you can go potty

as far as how you will be received on the downside, there's a chance you'll rub people wrong with whatever level of confidence you have being older, or if you pose challenges to the hierarchy that's perceived a result of your age, and there's *some* who still feel that letting older people into med school is a disservice to society that needs to wring as many practice years out of as many docs as possible with the doc shortage, and there are some that will attribute any time you're not as fast as they would like to your age

TLDR
medical training is harder on older applicants' bodies
having the most life experience/maturity in a given room can be a blessing and a curse
some will think you are slow because of your age
some will think you don't respect the hierarchy because of your age
some will think your spot should have gone to someone more young
most will think you are awesome

I'll be turning 35 shortly after I begin medical school this year. I am also married with two young children. I came across multiple applicants who were close to my age on the interview trail. Your age won't hold you back in my opinion.

keep in mind I'm always the doom and gloom here

my school just had the sort of vibe that the older students were considered just.... awesome to have. mature. super cool. respected. admired for their dedication. I mean, at that age most have a lot of life experience *and* are walking away from careers to start over, with slower brains (this is true, the older you get the harder it is to learn high volumes), so there's no doubt to most they are doing medicine for the right reasons, and it usually isn't to impress their parents or get laid.

the downsides some have told me....
they were more tired. this is biology. the ones in their 30s/40s with babies/prepubescent kids did not stand up to the 36 hr shifts in the middle of the 90 hour week in ob/gyn rotation capped by the studying for the shelf given at the end as did not stand up as well physically.... they were not the ones meeting us at the bar after. we were all tired but they looked tired-er
they felt they had to spend more time studying/memorizing for the same grades as the younger kids, (but some felt more "efficient" in that many sort of already knew their learning styles, how to organize, find work/life balance, work independently, etc)
some were sickened by some of the immaturity you'll witness from 23 yos dealing with the mature context of healthcare
it's not unusual to have attendings and residents younger than you (everyone is more mature by then... but it's all relative to whatever they were when they started) treating you like a kid.... there's something odd about being a 37 year old with 3 kids asking a 28 year old if you can go potty

as far as how you will be received on the downside, there's a chance you'll rub people wrong with whatever level of confidence you have being older, or if you pose challenges to the hierarchy that's perceived a result of your age, and there's *some* who still feel that letting older people into med school is a disservice to society that needs to wring as many practice years out of as many docs as possible with the doc shortage, and there are some that will attribute any time you're not as fast as they would like to your age

TLDR
medical training is harder on older applicants' bodies
having the most life experience/maturity in a given room can be a blessing and a curse
some will think you are slow because of your age
some will think you don't respect the hierarchy because of your age
some will think your spot should have gone to someone more young
most will think you are awesome
I agree with a lot of what you said but I also think a lot of this depends on how well one takes care of themself. A 35 year old who exercises regularly, maintains a good diet and prioritizes sleep will do just as well or better than a 25 year old who does not do these things.

Last edited: