30 on the ACT?

Mserrat13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 30 on my ACT, I know this is a good score but I'm still aiming a little higher. I've spent my freshman and sophomore year of high school completely unfocused (3.2 GPA) and I'm so ashamed of this. I know my score and GPA are "good enough" for college, but I intend on being a great doctor someday, not just "good enough". Any advice from those 4.0 GPA kids? because I intend on reworking the way I approach school. I've just always been the kid that never did homework but got A's on tests. I can take some criticism I just need some advice☺️

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that you realize your mistakes shows you've matured. Bring that attitude and ethic to college and med school and you should be fine. Remember that college is definitely more distracting so keeping your focus is very important

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who made a 29 on the ACT and is a 3.8+ GPA pre-med student in her second year of college. It's completely doable, and as I'm sure you've heard, high school and college are about as comparable as apples and oranges.

That being said, it's hard to give advice without knowing your exact study habits. What are your weak spots? Do you tend to cram before exams? Do you have trouble with time management? Do you study better during the day or during the evening/night? Do you need a tutor, or perhaps a study group? You can assess some of these things now, but the way most people learn how to study is through trial-and-error during freshman year. So going into your first year, don't try to take too many things at once, and focus on your GPA.

Also remember that some of the things I listed may be strong spots for pre-med kids (e.g. maybe you do study or work better under pressure and are a great crammer). Everyone is different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback, this year I look forward to proving on paper what I know that I can do. Assessing my study habits will hopefully bring great results☺️

Realizing your mistakes was definitely a big step, and often the hardest step so congratulations!! It is admirable that you are mature enough to realize and ask for help.

My advice for you? Show colleges that you have turned yourself around. Take as many APs as you possibly can and get involved in school. If you need help with studying, I would be more than happy to work with you, if that's what you need. Send me a message this upcoming year! :) I love chatting, and I tutor all the time at my school. Additionally, I have taken 8 AP courses so far in high school, and would love to help!

Past that, you need to stay motivated. I know that is hard, but find something that gets you on track, whether it is a certain song that gives you inspiration, or studying with someone else. Don't let yourself lose focus. It definitely is NOT too late!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly, your ACT score shows that you are smart and have the intelligence to be a doctor, but your GPA is low. The good thing about going to college is that med schools will never see your ACT or GPA so this is a chance for you to start over. I'm kinda the opposite, I have a 28 ACT and a 4.2 weighted GPA. I don't do well on the math and science part of the ACT, eventhough I'm good at science in school. I think that you are in a better position then I am because grades seem to be easier to fix. Good luck and I bet if you really put time and effort into it you will do great!

Also I was talking to someone who had a 2.9 GPA in high school and a 21 ACT. He went to a state school and got into med school with a 3.7 GPA and a 32 MCAT. Don't let high school stats discourage you. Also it's helpful to think that when you show up to college everyone in your class is even and its your opportunity to rise above. Some people are naturally smart or naturally talented, but it doesn't mean you can't be the smartest, you just have to work a little harder which in the end will make you a better Doctor. Hard work will always rise above!

Just so you know, med schools will never see your high school GPA or ACT or SAT score. They only look at your college GPA and MCAT (among other things like extracurricular activities, etc)

I just want to give you a heads up regarding the anecdotes shared of students who got mediocre or poor scores on the ACT and then went on to get 4.0s in college - take them with a grain of salt. Your college GPA depends highly on what kind of institution you go to. I had a 4.0 in high school and went on to a Top 15 university for college and did pretty poorly. So if you want to do well in college, either aim for the Ivies or aim for a state school. I've found that schools that aren't quite Ivy-tier in terms of reputation yet are considered better than state schools are ridiculously difficult for no reason (more difficult than the Ivies).

30 isn't a bad score. I got into a mid tier UC with a 30 and a 3.7/3.8 gpa. I am Asian and went to a high school in California.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Uhhh...nobody cares. Never once did anything I did in high school come up. go to college. study hard. make good grades. you'll be fine. Also...probably stay off this website...if you're worrying about your ACT on this place now...I can't imagine what you're going to be freaking about once you're actually doing things that impact your future

Reactions: 2 users
I got a 30 on my ACT, I know this is a good score but I'm still aiming a little higher. I've spent my freshman and sophomore year of high school completely unfocused (3.2 GPA) and I'm so ashamed of this. I know my score and GPA are "good enough" for college, but I intend on being a great doctor someday, not just "good enough". Any advice from those 4.0 GPA kids? because I intend on reworking the way I approach school. I've just always been the kid that never did homework but got A's on tests. I can take some criticism I just need some advice☺️
I cannot begin to talk about irrelevant this is to getting into medical school, far less what kind of doctor you will be. Just do well in college and start studying for the MCAT. So much neuroticism so early on will not help you.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure how I ended up here but look into ADHD. Its pretty common, 100% exists and is very treatable, and high tests w/ low grades is a common presentation.

Chill on the high school panicking. I was super lazy in high school and it doesn't impact my college experience at all. Just enjoy it. You'll only get swamped with more and more work as you go higher up in education. 30 is fine lol a good amount above average anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to reiterate everyone: enjoy life and get into some extracurriculars :)

I was in the same boat as you with almost exactly the same stats. I'm doing better in college, and I think part of it is just having a goal and being self motivated as opposed to just being in class at high school because my you have to. Find you passion and work on organization and time management.

Also, learn how to study, and learn how to study different types of materials. I was also the kid in high school who would do almost nothing in class and not study and get by in classes by acing exams. I'm not going to lie to you. There will almost certainly be classes you can get A's in with almost no effort in college. You have to be aware that the difficulty level of classes is going to be all over the place, so don't get complacent if your freshman level classes are all easy A's and then get blind sided by your upper level science classes.

Scheduling is important. You have a lot more say in how your classes will fall. Try to set yourself up with schedules that will allow you to succeed. But when you schedule you also need to look at how that will effect all future schedules. You don't want to make your freshman year super easy and then end up having to take all of your hardest classes in the same semester.

u sound like me in high school lol, but I did raise my ACT from a 29-32 just by comprehending the reading and science sections better

Also be wary of your attitude since it doesn't automatically mean that studying will become easy for you. I had to really struggle on how to learn to study my entire freshman year even though I went knowing I'd have to begin studying. Didn't do bad, but I was basically relying on my finals to get As. Different types of classes are going to take many different methods and discipline is key.

I'm a dental student at UPenn now, but in high school, I got a 34 ACT. A 30 is by no means a bad score. And you will have the same or if not better chance of getting into Med school than many other applicants due to your work ethic. I went to the U of M for my B.S. Not a bad school, but not an AMAZING one either. Always remember that it is not the numbers or the statistics which count, but rather the person and the work ethic which lies within that person. A person can have. 36 ACT and a 1500 SAT and be a National Merit Scholar but not have any Intrapersonal skills. That person would not succeed in the medical field.

I met a Cardiovascular Surgeon at the Mayo Clinic. He graduated from Temple University Med school. Not one of the best med schools in the world, but honestly, I don't think he is any worse than a cardiovascular surgeon who graduated from Harvard Medical School. If anything, he might have been a better Doctor!

Hope this helps!:)

-Fyz

This is sorta on a side note, but what is the best way to improve SAT score? I was hoping to score mid to high 1300's but ended up getting a 1230. I'm doing very well GPA wise (4.27) and do well in math and especially science. Should I consider taking the ACT as well?

Personally, as a high schooler sophomore myself, my advice would be, start to develop really good study habits. I know I am a sophomore, but what I have learned is that my studying habits paid off. I would start to develop them now as college and medicine require discipline in studying. Best of luck!

This is sorta on a side note, but what is the best way to improve SAT score? I was hoping to score mid to high 1300's but ended up getting a 1230. I'm doing very well GPA wise (4.27) and do well in math and especially science. Should I consider taking the ACT as well?
Definitely consider taking the ACT.
I took the SAT twice and could never break a 1800 (1290 on the new one) then the first time I took the ACT without even knowing the structure of the text I got a 29 (1930 on old, 1370 on new). I took it one more time since I realized my lowest score was science and the science section is basically just testing reading comp and then got a 32 (2110 on old, 1470 on new). In all the times I took either the SAT or ACT I didn't study or take even one fl exam, so just the structure and how the questions were phrased on the ACT really brought up my score (the increase from 29-32 on it was mostly due to time management), and I'm sure I could've done even better on the ACT given I tried a little lol, but the point still stands. Conversely I know people who did horrible on the ACT in comparison to the SAT so it really comes down o what sort of test taker you are.

In short, it definitely won't hurt to try your hand at the ACT.

I apologize in advance for derailing the subject of this thread, but I have a friend who is prepping for the SAT and he asked me what resources he should use. Unfortunately, I'm a second year medical student and it has been years since I've taken the exam. What would you guys recommend I tell him?

If you work hard on your academics in college, along with volunteer work in the healthcare field, research in labs, shadow/moonlight doctors, and take the mcat seriously, then you'll be laying the foundation of becoming a "great doctor someday".

I had a 3.0 gpa in high school and got a 24 on the ACT. Got rejected from all the colleges I applied to. Ended up going to community college and then transferred to UCLA.