3 MD waitlist, reapply DO? 3.84 GPA, 502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missneuro412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, was wondering if I could get some advice.
I took the MCAT last summer after submitting my primary and got a less than ideal score 502 (125,126,125,126) and so proceeded to fill out only a few secondaries.
I ended up getting 3 MD II and am waitlisted at all 3. In terms of reapplication, I was wondering what MD and DO schools are recommended with my stats. I just really would not like to retake MCAT.
I'm a well rounded applicant with strong research and service background.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Any DO school, but probably should aim for PCOM, MSUCOM, KCU, Rowan, OSU and TCOM as far as DO schools are concerned, given your background in research. BUT, I would probably reapply with something to add on / show for next year to MD schools. Might I ask, is it your interview skills that maybe play a part in those waitlists? I might consult some friends / advisors on maybe interviewing better if you got no luck from 3 II. Just my $0.02.

Also, if you tailor your MD school list, that GPA should make up for the MCAT. Or, correct me if I'm wrong @Goro

Members don't see this ad :)
With that MCAT, I surprised that you got any MD interviews, unless you're URM, a veteran, a resident of a very lucky state (like TX), killer ECs.....etc.

You're fine for all DO schools except AZCOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY or LUCOM.

A high GPA does not make up for a weak MCAT for most MD schools. OP is, well, an outlier, pending their story.

Hi guys, was wondering if I could get some advice.
I took the MCAT last summer after submitting my primary and got a less than ideal score 502 (125,126,125,126) and so proceeded to fill out only a few secondaries.
I ended up getting 3 MD II and am waitlisted at all 3. In terms of reapplication, I was wondering what MD and DO schools are recommended with my stats. I just really would not like to retake MCAT.
I'm a well rounded applicant with strong research and service background.
Thanks!

Any DO school, but probably should aim for PCOM, MSUCOM, KCU, Rowan, OSU and TCOM as far as DO schools are concerned, given your background in research. BUT, I would probably reapply with something to add on / show for next year to MD schools. Might I ask, is it your interview skills that maybe play a part in those waitlists? I might consult some friends / advisors on maybe interviewing better if you got no luck from 3 II. Just my $0.02.

With that MCAT, I surprised that you got any MD interviews, unless you're URM, a veteran, a resident of a very lucky state (like TX), killer ECs.....etc.

You're fine for all DO schools except AZCOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY or LUCOM.

A high GPA does not make up for a weak MCAT for most MD schools. OP is, well, an outlier, pending their story.

I graduated a semester early and am expecting a publication at the beginning of the summer and am currently traveling to present at the NCUR. I am a white female from PA so I suppose it's my ECs.
Yes, I agree there must have been an issue with my interviews; however, I interviewed consecutively in September so I wasn't really aware of it until after pending waitlist decisions. I will definitely be working on my skills for next cycle.

Retake the MCAT if you can, but otherwise any reapplication (barring something ridiculous that changed between cycles) that doesn't include at least a few DOs is not prudent whatsoever.

Your MCAT score might be the issue, not the interviews, also that is also a possibility. I've seen plenty of Adcom meetings where the interviewer said "Nice kid, but I'm worried about that MCAT score".

I graduated a semester early and am expecting a publication at the beginning of the summer and am currently traveling to present at the NCUR. I am a white female from PA so I suppose it's my ECs.
Yes, I agree there must have been an issue with my interviews; however, I interviewed consecutively in September so I wasn't really aware of it until after pending waitlist decisions. I will definitely be working on my skills for next cycle.

Your MCAT score might be the issue, not the interviews, also that is also a possibility. I've seen plenty of Adcom meetings where the interviewer said "Nice kid, but I'm worried about that MCAT score".

That is what I assumed was the case because I felt like interviewing is one of my strong suits. My advisor told me that if I received 3 II my MCAT was considered acceptable and I must lack interviewing skills. She also was discouraging towards me retaking the MCAT given I had received those invites and the possibility of doing worse.
I realized my end goal is to become a physician and MD or DO are both paths there. I'm just worried I don't really fit in well with DO because of my strong emphasis on research and will not be successful with MD because of my MCAT and two gap years definitely do not sound appealing.

I'm just worried I don't really fit in well with DO because of my strong emphasis on research and will not be successful with MD because of my MCAT

I was in that exact boat this cycle (strong research [several pubs, posters, etc], my MCAT was higher but I applied late), and it sucked. My "fit" was questioned at some of my DO interviews. Fortunately, it worked out for me in the end. However, if interviewing is your strong suit, that's something you can probably square away just fine at the DO schools if you have to reapply.