3.4 cgpa, 3.35 sgpa, 508 MCAT Illinois resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxDrxxPoojaxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I have previously posted here, but i'm applying this cycle and would like to know how my school list looks/if I should take some out/if I should add some in/what are my chances?

I am an Illinois resident and I just graduated from a university within the state. My cumulative gpa was a 3.4 and my science gpa was a 3.35. I double majored. I have a lot of leadership, as I was president and held two other executive board positions in an academic organization at my school. I also was a research assistant and have about 300 hours in the lab and presented the research twice at school conferences. As well, I have around 150-160 hours of physician shadowing. I only have around 60 hours of clinical volunteering, however. I have around 164 of community volunteer hours that are not healthcare related.

I know my chances are higher for DO, which is why I applied to a good amount of osteopathic schools. I will still be applying to MD and here is the list I have made so far:

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Southern Illinois School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Michigan State University
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Florida State University
University of Washington School of Medicine

Any input would be greatly appreciated. An additional question I have is that I am planning on submitting primaries by the end of the week (late June). Is this considered a late application?

Thanks in advance, friends!

Members don't see this ad.

UMKC only accepts 12 students into the MD program whereas the rest of the entering class are BA/MD.

Washington will probably be pretty tough for an Illinois resident. As well as Florida state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why not UofI? SIU has a pretty specific attendance area. Where do you live in Illinois? Is it south of the I80 corridor? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? You have a lot of public schools on your list. Are they friendly to OOS residents? You should check before you apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have strong ties to Florida, don't bother with FSU.

Wouldn't bother with Washington or Florida. And like someone else said, don't bother with SIU if you're from Chicago.

I would like to say that while SIU accepts more downstate. I know plenty of people that got in this year that are from the Chicagoland area (including myself). A couple of things to note about SIU that people sometimes don't realize. M1 is done in Carbondale (historical and logistical reasons) and then the rest is finished in Springfield. They have a pretty specific mission stated in their secondary so just do your research before you spend your hard earned money!

Very very minor offering from me but I find it easier to read hours rounded to the nearest 10. Even if It takes off 4 hours. After they look at 500 applications I think they may glance at a page. Like reading a bunch of ekgs in a row. gestalt reading. Like I said not game changing advice but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would personally take off Washington, Florida, Wisconsin, Penn State. In place of these schools, I would add Rush, U of Illinois, Albany, NYMC.

Reactions: 1 user
Rush is a possibility but they have insane amounts of clinical and service hours as requirements. Make sure you have that or don't bother applying.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Why not UofI? SIU has a pretty specific attendance area. Where do you live in Illinois? Is it south of the I80 corridor? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? You have a lot of public schools on your list. Are they friendly to OOS residents? You should check before you apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't include UIC med because I figured it was too far fetched for my stats

You are resident so I'd give it a try. You have all of those other OOS schools on your list and not UofI ?? Of course it's up to you. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app