3.2 Science GPA, what MCAT score should I aim for to get into a D.O. school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danno6623

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, if you have had an upward trend then adcoms will see that, and I don't think they really care to see that you went back down to take some easy classes just to boost your GPA, you'd be better off taking upper-division science courses and doing well at those comma even though I know that is more difficult but otherwise at this point for you it's not really that worth doing. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 6.09.19 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for an MCAT around 500-505 for the newer D.O. schools and 505+ for all D.O. schools.

If you don't have an upward trend in your last 60 hours, then I might suggest doing another semester/year or applying to an SMP.

505 will get you where you need to be although really it should be said to get the absolute highest score you can. The greater the number >500 the better with low GPA's.

If your ECs are in check I would be surprised you don't get a bunch of interviews if you apply to a lot of DO schools

508+

My final year will consist of a 3.7 science GPA, but I made a lot of dumb decisions earlier on in undergrad that have held back both my cumulative and science GPAs.

I was looking into taking some level 100 courses at a local CC (my university is exponentially more expensive, especially because I'm graduating). Would an increase to a 3.28 even be worth it?

Reactions: 1 users
Aim for an MCAT around 500-505 for the newer D.O. schools and 505+ for all D.O. schools.

If you don't have an upward trend in your last 60 hours, then I might suggest doing another semester/year or applying to an SMP.

Concur with the above. I'd also agree with the fact that you should just set the bar at 528 and try to score as high as you can to set yourself up for the best cycle you can possibly get.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
depends on school but if you are + or - 2 within the avg. score i think that is good. (i.e: average mcat is 29 for RowanSOM, if you have 27, i would still apply)

Yeah, I did some digging earlier and came up with 508+ as well. A 508 would be about a standard deviation above the mean for mean for my sex and ethnicity, while my GPA is about a standard deviation below the mean.

My last 90 quarter units puts me at a 3.39 science and ~3.5 cumulative, but I don't know if many schools actually care about that metric.
Rising GPA trends are always good.

There are people in my class with under a 25 (500 on new exam) with similar GPA stats that you have. The lowest I've heard of was an upperclassman who scored a 21 and was admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's extremely encouraging. Which school do you attend (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm afraid I would rather not reveal the exact school name publicly (PM me and I'll tell you)

Last edited:
I had a 3.1-3.2 gpa and a 34 mcat (equivalent to a 514-515 the year I took it). I applied to 11 DOs (new and old) and got 2 interviews and no acceptances.

Now granted, this is just me. There are definitely a handful of SDNers who had lower MCATs and GPAs than me who got accepted, but the fact is that DO schools are much more willing to overlook a low mcat, than a low GPA.

I'm at Touro. Touro is one of the few schools that will give a real hard look at students with the low GPA/high mcat combo. But even I didn't get accepted until I did a masters.

That sounds like a case of horrible luck. A 34 MCAT should be more than enough to prove your capabilities. You also received two interviews, so it sounded like they were willing to look past your GPA.

Were your interviews at the newer schools? If so, would you recommend applying to primarily newer schools to up the odds?

My interviews were at the Touros. A lot of my friends at Touro have had similar experiences - they had low GPAs and high mcats and Touro was often the only place they interviewed at and got accepted at. It's actually kind of a theme at Touro (high mcat, low gpa, and few other interviews/acceptances).

I would definitely recommend applying to the new schools AND your state school/state-preferring school. if you're in-state for UNTHSC, Michigan State, Ohio Heritage, Rowan, OSU, NYIT, or PNW, definitely apply there.

I had a 3.1-3.2 gpa and a 34 mcat (equivalent to a 514-515 the year I took it). I applied to 11 DOs (new and old) and got 2 interviews and no acceptances.

Now granted, this is just me. There are definitely a handful of SDNers who had lower MCATs and GPAs than me who got accepted, but the fact is that DO schools are much more willing to overlook a low mcat, than a low GPA.

I'm at Touro. Touro is one of the few schools that will give a real hard look at students with the low GPA/high mcat combo. But even I didn't get accepted until I did a masters.

Did you have any upward trend or post-bacc work?

Did you have any upward trend or post-bacc work?

I had a moderate, but not a particularly impressive upward trend. Think something like 2.5, 3.0, 3.3, 3.4.

I applied with that, got 2 interviews, and 2 waitlists. Then I did a Masters of Biomedical Sciences, got a 4.0, and got 6 interviews and 1 acceptance.

The reason I did not apply MD with a 4.0 is because I was only halfway through my Masters when I applied. So the only thing that changed from cycle 1 to cycle 2, for me, was one semester of straight As. If I had waited a year I could probably have gone MD. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice.

I had a moderate, but not a particularly impressive upward trend. Think something like 2.5, 3.0, 3.3, 3.4.

I applied with that, got 2 interviews, and 2 waitlists. Then I did a Masters of Biomedical Sciences, got a 4.0, and got 6 interviews and 1 acceptance.

The reason I did not apply MD with a 4.0 is because I was only halfway through my Masters when I applied. So the only thing that changed from cycle 1 to cycle 2, for me, was one semester of straight As. If I had waited a year I could probably have gone MD. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice.

I see. I assume the numbers were the same for your sGPA? That's still a pretty impressive improvement in your results with just one semester of straight As.

Hey man, you're going to be a doctor! No point in dwelling on paths not taken. Onward and upward!

Freshman: 1.86 (21)
Sophomore: 3.51 (38)
Junior: 2.764 (36)
Senior: 3.75 (56)

Those are my science GPAs and the quarter units I took each year. I don't have a trend, so much as a couple awful/decent years strung together. Of course, there were some circumstances I was in that led to those grades, but I'm hesitant to bring up excuses during the application process.

I don't want to be a downer; I love underdog stories.. and I tend to have a more optimistic view of things, but your gpa trend is concerning. It's like you figured it out Sophomore year, then forgot how to be successful Junior year, then re-remembered Senior year. According to your trend, you're due for another poor academic year next year.

You don't need to divulge what the story is with your gpa to us, but i'll say this... DO schools reward reinvention. If you have a legitimate reason for whatever happened in your junior year (because IMO that is the biggest concern..) you may have a shot at getting interviews, assuming you have a good MCAT coupled with it.

Honestly, I think the safest route for you (esp. financially) would be to wait a year to apply. Have yourself another successful academic year to establish a solid gpa trend, study HARD for the MCAT, and then apply in the '18/'19 cycle. If you have 2 years of 3.7+ gpa under your belt coupled with a solid MCAT (balanced 505+) I think you will increase your chances dramatically.

TL;DR: I'm not saying you don't have a shot at the '17/'18 cycle, I'm just saying you will have a much better shot at the '18/'19 cycle.

I got my score this morning and it's a 514 (C/P: 129, CARS: 129, Bio: 127 and P/S: 129).

Should I just apply broadly at this point, or are there schools that my GPA is prohibitive for?

Congrats on your score! It's always recommended to apply broadly since you want to increase your chances for interviews. I also recommend doing some research on the schools that you're interested in as some of them have minimum GPA requirements that are higher than a 3.0, e.g. Kansas City University COM requires a minimum of 3.25 for both your c/sGPAs.