DO 3.07 cgpa/ 3.01 spa/4.0 post bacc 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ill be a doc soon

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated college (top 25 university) in 2016.
My gpa in undergrad was a 2.8 cgpa and 2.6 sgpa (yikes)
I know my grades in undergrad are really bad, and this is due to a combination of poor study habits and bad time management skills. I went to a notoriously difficult undergrad school, but I dont want to make excuses. My grades were bad because of me, not because of anything else.

After graduating, I did a combination of post bacc work at a CC and through open enrollment at a public university. I took a few science classes as well as retaking 3 classes I recieved Cs in. Total, it will be about 43 units of postbacc work in which I recieved all As in (A few of these classes Im taking currently, but so far Im on track to get As this semester as well). It would have taken my gpa to a 3.2-3.3 but now with grade replacement gone im a little over 3.0 for both cgpa and sgpa by the time I apply this summer.
I busted my ass off studying for the MCAT last winter for about 10 weeks, and received a 514.

Extracurriculars:
Volunteering at a hospital ~150 hrs
Volunteering at a free clinic in underserved area ~60 hours

Non clinical volunteering: Through a church, combination of being a sunday school teacher, doing food drives for a homeless food closet, fundraising for various causes. (Dont really know the hours, probably in the thousands)
No research
Shadowing 2 docs: One family doctor for 40 hours and I just started shadowing a DO.

My main concerns: Obviously the GPA, and whether my ECs are good enough. Would I need to do more postbacc work, or SMP?
I am focusing on applying to mostly DO schools, however, I am from SoCal inland empire and would like to know if UC Riverside SOM would even consider me.

@Goro @Faha @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're done with coursework. If anything, get more patient contact experience.
Target UCD, UCI, UCR, any DO school, and also Case, U Miami, Tulane, Loyola, the Philly Triplets, NYMC, Albany, BU, Mayo, Creighton, SLU, MCW and Tufts.

You're done with coursework. If anything, get more patient contact experience.
Target UCD, UCI, UCR, any DO school, and also Case, U Miami, Tulane, Loyola, the Philly Triplets, NYMC, Albany, BU, Mayo, Creighton, SLU, MCW and Tufts.

Ive seen your posts about med schools rewarding reinvention. I have ups and downs on my record. The first two years of undergrad I had a 3.1 gpa, and the last two were like a 2.6-2.7, which is a downward trend, specifically after transferring from a CC to my University. My last quarter in undergrad was a 3.66 if that matters. Will this one year postbacc have enough significance to make an impact? I want to make sure I have the best possible app before I apply and I really dont want to drop money on an application cycle and not get interviews. Regardless, I will continue to volunteer and shadow and I hope to have a DO letter too.
And, how will my lack of research pan out with MD schools, especially at research heavy UCs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive seen your posts about med schools rewarding reinvention. I have ups and downs on my record. The first two years of undergrad I had a 3.1 gpa, and the last two were like a 2.6-2.7, which is a downward trend, specifically after transferring from a CC to my University. My last quarter in undergrad was a 3.66 if that matters. Will this one year postbacc have enough significance to make an impact? I want to make sure I have the best possible app before I apply and I really dont want to drop money on an application cycle and not get interviews. Regardless, I will continue to volunteer and shadow and I hope to have a DO letter too.
And, how will my lack of research pan out with MD schools, especially at research heavy UCs?
Aceing a year of post-bac or SMP AND MCAT can be rewarded.

Lack of research will hurt with the research powerhouses.

The only UC that I've seen reward reinvention is UCSF, but you have to have a LOT of positives in your app, not merely grades.

I'm in a similar position but I'm trying to figure out if I should stay in my 2 year post bacc. I already did an MPH and I went to a top undergrad school with a 2.7. I have a 3.75 in my post bacc (taking finals soon) and a 3.8 in my masters. I only got a 494 in my MCAT. Should I stay in my post bacc or just take some classes that will help for the mcat that I didn't do too well in during undergrad?