2nd Gap year woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm taking an unplanned 2nd gap year to study for the MCAT. During my first gap year, I attempted to study for the MCAT while serving in AmeriCorps full time (45+ hours/week) and failed terribly at balancing both schedules + I became ill.

Now that my service year is over, I'm searching for a part time job with no luck. I've been applying to positions for months and it's frustrating. From retail to restaurant jobs, no bites. I'm certified in CPR but not licensed in any clinical aspect. Tutoring jobs are all taken or bogus.

If I can't find something soon, will it hurt my chances? I really just want to work and save up; so, I'm not too keen on solely volunteering atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

While you're looking for work, maybe you can start volunteering somewhere so you don't have too much of a time gap for things. I don't think it matters too much unless you take a huge chunk of time off and do absolutely nothing. Also, if possible, look for research jobs, basic hospital/clinic jobs (like a receptionist or something), anything that may be a two bird with one stone sort of thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you looked into Scribe America?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into Scribe America?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I applied last year and got rejected but I'll apply again this year. Let's see what happens! Thanks!

While you're looking for work, maybe you can start volunteering somewhere so you don't have too much of a time gap for things. I don't think it matters too much unless you take a huge chunk of time off and do absolutely nothing. Also, if possible, look for research jobs, basic hospital/clinic jobs (like a receptionist or something), anything that may be a two bird with one stone sort of thing.

I've been applying to research jobs but my experience is lacking. I have one summer and a semester of thesis work (does that count?). I'm waiting to hear back from two clinical research jobs. We'll see. As for volunteering, it's definitely a back up! Thanks.

Maybe consider getting your CNA license! I work in a pediatric unit of a hospital and I looooooove it...everything I do is hands on with patients and other hospital staff!

Maybe consider getting your CNA license! I work in a pediatric unit of a hospital and I looooooove it...everything I do is hands on with patients and other hospital staff!
I'll definitely look into it. I love working with kids so your current position is a dream right now. How long does it take to get certified?

Thanks for the suggestion!

Look at local non-profits to see if they have any open positions. Some might bite with your Americorps experience

I'll definitely look into it. I love working with kids so your current position is a dream right now. How long does it take to get certified?

Thanks for the suggestion!

I took a challenge course offered in my city and the entire course was only 3 days long. Then, I took my license exam about two weeks later. Super quick process if you take a challenge course or self study from videos online!

First, stop thinking of it like a gap year which sounds more demoralizing that it should be. Think of it as exploring options, seeing the world, maturing. What did you learning the Americorps - I bet a lot about different cultures within the US. Right? That's not a gap.

Second, kind of related to the first, try to see what life has handed you that could be seen as a potential negative and turn it around to be positive. So, you're two years beyond graduation. I'm... /counts fingers, toes, ear lobes, knuckles... I think I'm 20 years beyond graduation if I counted right. What's the point? It does not matter how long you took between graduation and applying it matters WHAT YOU DID with yourself.

Job hunting sucks for everyone. It has for years (despite the media telling you otherwise). Here's some ideas:

1. LinkedIn - make sure your profile picture is excellent, professional and your headline and experience are accurate, relatable
2. Indeed - this is a great place for finding jobs as it covers everything from LD truckers to VPs of public companies and anything/everything in between
3. Reach out to your local Robert Half, or other types of temp agencies... you may have to take a pay cut to get something but once in the door with a referenceable project, they place you again