2018 PA Chances -- excellent academically, low on HCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcinthesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!

Original Bachelor's from a top 10 university in Economics/Theatre -- GPA: 3.3
Then spent several years as an actor & decided I needed to do something more tangible

Currently finishing second year of science pre-reqs (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Cell Bio, Organic Chem, Biochem, A&P, Microbio, Genetics) -- GPA: 3.97 (A's in everything except a lab or two)

GRE Verbal: 169
GRE Quant: 162
AW: 4.5

Here comes the problem...
HC-related experience: 1800 hours as radiology department admin for a hospital
Volunteer: Patient Transport/other - 100 hours
Paid, Hands-on Patient care experience: currently 0 hours, but planning to gain FT employment as either a CNA or scribe beginning in June/July. I would estimate that I would accrue ~500 hours by September, the application deadline of many schools.
Shadowing: I am having trouble finding a PA to shadow in CNY, but plan to do so ASAP.

Considering the following schools:
U. Colorado, Baylor COM, UNTHSC-Fort Worth, UT-Southwestern, Idaho State, University of Florida, Yale (dual MPH!), Midwestern University in AZ, & University of Boston

I'd appreciate any general advice and am specifically interested in knowing about any programs that may prefer high academic achievement and overlook low HCE.

TY in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Colorado, Idaho State, Midwestern, won't care at all about healthcare experience. Don't know about the Texas schools or Florida. Yale wants hce of some kind, but who wants to pay Yale tuition.

Is 1800 really that low? You beat UTSW's average already. Gf going into PA, so I peek in here sometimes.