2018 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyways how are everyones' secondaries going and apps/LOR's?

I JUST WANT ONE II >__<

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've done 16 secondaries so far. I haven't gotten one from two schools (UCSF and UCLA). Kind of bummed about that. :(

I've done 16 secondaries so far. I haven't gotten one from two schools (UCSF and UCLA). Kind of bummed about that. :(

I haven't from ucla either. Applied on a whim. From their thread, that seems normal....

@sss1219 , you will! It is only August 1! There is no reason to this process at all! Keep your head up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've submitted 9 of my 10 secondaries. Still ruminating on Vanderbilt's - I hadn't really thought about it much because I didn't really expect to GET a secondary from there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just got the MCAT score back yesterday so by tonight I'm hoping to have my school list finalized. Just don't know the exact number I want to apply to. Primary is verified. Unfortunately, I've hardly done any prewriting so I'm gonna bust my butt this month to be complete everywhere by Labor Day. Good news is I scheduled a light month for myself at work

Reactions: 2 users
First time checking in (didn't see this thread) here. I am non-trad, graduated college in '08, got a PhD in immunology and have been working as an academic scientist since. Applied to 21 school, have received and finished 15 secondaries. Got 2 additional that I am not returning. Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
I've submitted 9 of my 10 secondaries. Still ruminating on Vanderbilt's - I hadn't really thought about it much because I didn't really expect to GET a secondary from there.

I'm submitting my 9th secondary today, too. I thought I was the only one in single digits! I keep thinking I should add more, but I'm a little more limited with my situation (job locations for spouse, etc) and it's expensive. Half of mine are reaches, too. I even threw in Harvard because YOLO.. :laugh: (and two of my LORs are from Harvard profs, not that that really makes a difference)

First time checking in (didn't see this thread) here. I am non-trad, graduated college in '08, got a PhD in immunology and have been working as an academic scientist since. Applied to 21 school, have received and finished 15 secondaries. Got 2 additional that I am not returning. Best of luck everyone.

Welcome! That's a great background for med school! I'm a runner, too - do you have any fall races coming up? I was shooting for an October marathon but got hip tendonitis so I'm dropping to the half. Also, I took an immuno class last semester and LOVED it - this fall I'm going to work as an RA on a clinical trial using dendritic cell therapy for glioblastoma. Do you do any immune/oncology work?

I'm submitting my 9th secondary today, too. I thought I was the only one in single digits! I keep thinking I should add more, but I'm a little more limited with my situation (job locations for spouse, etc) and it's expensive. Half of mine are reaches, too. I even threw in Harvard because YOLO.. :laugh: (and two of my LORs are from Harvard profs, not that that really makes a difference)

I'm also limited by my husband's job prospects - he loves his job, so our top choices are the local Med school and cities that have offices to which he can transfer. He's harping on me to add Harvard, but I don't think I'd want to go there even if I got in, so I'm not doing it. My reaches are Vandy, Northwestern, and Baylor, which I still think might be too many with so few applications out. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome! That's a great background for med school! I'm a runner, too - do you have any fall races coming up? I was shooting for an October marathon but got hip tendonitis so I'm dropping to the half. Also, I took an immuno class last semester and LOVED it - this fall I'm going to work as an RA on a clinical trial using dendritic cell therapy for glioblastoma. Do you do any immune/oncology work?

I will likely run a trail 50k here in the PNW this fall but beyond that nothing scheduled. I work mainly on CD8+ T cells and do a bit with anti-melanoma T cell responses in pre-clinical models.

I will likely run a trail 50k here in the PNW this fall but beyond that nothing scheduled. I work mainly on CD8+ T cells and do a bit with anti-melanoma T cell responses in pre-clinical models.

Awesome! I'm signed up for a 50k in Zion Natl Park in April - hopefully my hip will cooperate.
My favorite research internship was developing chimeric T cell receptors to fight solid tumors 10+ years ago. I was just an RA doing tissue processing, but it was still cool to be involved with. I'm hoping to do some immunotherapy cancer research during/after med school. Glad to have you here!

Hi, all! Just wanted to throw in my support for my fellow non-trads. I was in last year's cycle. Currently in the process of moving to my new city for med school. You guys hang in there and keep trucking!

I've been super busy and haven't been checking this thread or posting as much as I would have liked, but just a little friendly note; I'm a 2016 and 2017 reapplicant, who applied MD/DO my second cycle. After receiving II's on the first two available dates at top 15 MD schools, I also had a Feb MD II. Fast forward to this week; I had finished all my matriculation documents, etc, and was driving to sign a lease on a new place and start at a DO school on the 7th as my MD interviews all resulted in WL's. As I was pulling into the new city, I received a call, and was pulled off an MD waitlist, and the one I interviewed at in march.

Moral of the story - the cycle is going to be long. Don't give up, and it's never over till it's over. Here we are, a year and 2 months after turning in my application, and I'm headed to a school I'm in love with (was my 3rd choice). Remain calm, and don't stress about things you can't control. What will happen will happen, and find a way to relax as best you can. This will be a long process, but it will pay off.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

A little derailment: seeing you and other fellow accepted non-trads from our year post about their preparation for med school gives me so much inexplicable joy. :D

Congrats to you entering M1s on surviving the application year and starting school! Go show all the 21 year olds how it's done. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, all! Just wanted to throw in my support for my fellow non-trads. I was in last year's cycle. Currently in the process of moving to my new city for med school. You guys hang in there and keep trucking!

A little derailment: seeing you and other fellow accepted non-trads from our year post about their preparation for med school gives me so much inexplicable joy. :D

Where did ya end up? If I remember correctly we interviewed together at OHSU right?

Got my first II at Wake Forest. It's all really happening!!

Reactions: 9 users
Are there any moms here? How are you approaching the topic of your children? I'll be interviewing visibly pregnant (with number 4) so I can't really hide that I have kids. At this point, I'm worried kids are my "red flag" since the rest of my application is in order.

Are there any moms here? How are you approaching the topic of your children? I'll be interviewing visibly pregnant (with number 4) so I can't really hide that I have kids. At this point, I'm worried kids are my "red flag" since the rest of my application is in order.

I'm a dad so not exactly the same but I would just be honest that you know having a family is a challenge in some ways but it is also a plus since you have a strong support network. Moreover, you are coming in knowing how to balance family with the rest of your life. The same cannot be said for all those trad students who end up starting families during their medical training. Some will balance it all well but some won't. You already know you can.

I'm a dad so not exactly the same but I would just be honest that you know having a family is a challenge in some ways but it is also a plus since you have a strong support network. Moreover, you are coming in knowing how to balance family with the rest of your life. The same cannot be said for all those trad students who end up starting families during their medical training. Some will balance it all well but some won't. You already know you can.

This. I've got three elementary school aged kids, and, while they're not a particularly big part of the narrative of my application, I see the fact that I've already run that "child-rearing gauntlet" as a positive. I don't have to deal with trying to figure out when during the next 10 years I can manage pregnancy and having a newborn. Plus, I've already proven that I can go to school/work/live my life while also having three little parasites draining me of all of my physical and emotional energy. Lol

Yes, there are several moms on here (nontrad forum as a whole). I have more kids than you but I'm not pregnant. I struggled with the decision of talking about my kids in my personal statement/application. Some people told me I definitely should, others told me I shouldn't. In the end, I decided to put it in my PS - one paragraph, explaining some major aspects of my parenting life and how it will help me be a better doctor. I figure it will help weed out schools that would be unsupportive. Schools talk about wanting diversity of life experience, but I get the sense that being a mom of several kids isn't a trendy way to be diverse. ;)
In the end, I don't expect schools to be impressed that I have kids, but I don't want them to assume I won't be committed to school or medicine because I'm a mom, either. It's up to you if you include them - they're not supposed to ask about kids out of the blue, but if you put it in your application, then it's fair game for interview questions.

I'll be visibly pregnant too, with my first! I'm 38 so I'm (we're) so glad I'm doing this before school starts. Since you have others, what do you recommend for suits? I'm having trouble finding maternity suits online, so I was going to go for a maternity black pencil skirt with a jacket I already have with one button. I'm ordering a band next week so maybe that will help with my suits I already have, but I'm worried I won't look professional with mismatched top and bottoms. Any suggestions? Would really appreciate it.

On the women's interview attire thread it's generally suggested to wear a professional looking dress with matching jacket or any maternity suit. Pregnant women get more leeway with interview wardrobe according to the experts on that thread. I'm sure a pencil skirt and jacket would be fine, too. No need to worry about buttoning it.

I'll be visibly pregnant too, with my first! I'm 38 so I'm (we're) so glad I'm doing this before school starts. Since you have others, what do you recommend for suits? I'm having trouble finding maternity suits online, so I was going to go for a maternity black pencil skirt with a jacket I already have with one button. I'm ordering a band next week so maybe that will help with my suits I already have, but I'm worried I won't look professional with mismatched top and bottoms. Any suggestions? Would really appreciate it.
First off, congrats! Regarding suiting, it's tough. Pants look bad on me because I'm really tall. I've been consulting the interview attire thread off and on since getting my first interview a couple of weeks ago and I'm still not getting anywhere. I ordered a maternity skirt suit off of ebay that arrived today but is too small (if a size 8/10 would work for you I'm happy to ship it to you free of charge, it's navy blue). I have a dress suit I ordered from the UK coming next week, hoping that's better. Otherwise I think I'll go with a dress and coordinating but not matching blazer.

Last edited:
1st II :) same school that rejected me last time I applied LOL gonna make sure it goes way better this time

Reactions: 6 users
I got my first interview today. This is my first time applying. My GPA is definitely nothing to write home about, and my MCAT is a 500. I worked on a 9-11 ambulance for almost 8 years full-time as a paramedic. Any advice for the interview? I'm sure my grades will come up during the questioning and I plan on just being honest about having to work full time during school to support the family. Any other thoughts on things to think about before going in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the interviews! Just read up on some medical ethical issues (just in case) and go in relaxed and friendly. Good luck!

Congrats on the interviews! Just read up on some medical ethical issues (just in case) and go in relaxed and friendly. Good luck!

Totally agree. At my first (and only) interview in 2016, everyone came out of their rooms one by one and talked about how lax it was. I went in after that and then got absolutely grilled with a stress interview filled with 55 min worth of ethics scenarios that I did not prepare for whatsoever. So read up on some ethics, work on your body language and interview skills, look into MMI techniques if you have one, and especially know your app in and out!

My biggest piece of advice to all you guys getting ready for interviews, above all else, is two things. One, don't launch into answers. Pause, and really think through what you are going to say. As for a moment if you have to, I NEVER got a negative response if I asked for a moment to think. Next, THINK OUT LOUD. Explain why you answered the way you did, and have conviction behind it, or just walk through your answer as you're giving it. Often there aren't right or wrong answers (especially in any of the ethics type questions) but instead grey area's, and it's important to show how you think and how you problem solve. I'll be starting on Wed., but if anyone wants to do some interview prep/mock interviews, I will have some time this weekend, and potentially a few other dates. (I helped with hiring and interviewing at my hospital job as well). We have 2 weeks of a sudo clinical bootcamp, then a week at our clinical site, so the first 3 weeks aren't exactly real classes, and won't have started anatomy yet, so I should have some extra time here or there.

With that said;

A good example of a type of question that could up; "if a female comes into your office and requests to be seen by a female what do you do (or vise versa if you are a women)" most people will answer this part easily.

As a follow up; "what if it's a white supremacist, and they don't want to be seen by an African American or someone Jewish?" You're instant reaction could likely be incorrect. Did you answer the same for both? If not, why not? Who are you ultimately reasonable for? your patient? what about your coworkers, do you have a responsibility to try to provide a safe work environment? If they are your Jr.? What if you are the only person working? Do you get to make decisions for your staff without their input to try to protect them? Are you going to ask them?

Launching into answers makes them seem not genuine, rehearsed, and you can easily back yourself into having to defend an answer you didn't think through at first. I had 6 interviews, and in every single one at least one interviewer was able to get me on my heels, defending an answer I wasn't committed too, because they are DAMN good at trying to make you feel uncomfortable, or to steer the conversation in complicated ways. As long as you recognize that there is often nuance, and say as much, and be willing to listen to what the interviewer is saying and engage in a conversation, you should be okay. Also, a REALLY good answer, is "I don't know". Also, it can be easy to crumble and lose your convictions when being pressed by an interviewer. Stand your ground if it's something you believe, don't try to just appease them.
I will leave this comment with a very relevant passage from one of the "updated" hippocratic oaths (by Louis Lasagna) I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

Last edited:
My biggest piece of advice to all you guys getting ready for interviews, above all else, is two things. One, don't launch into answers. Pause, and really think through what you are going to say. As for a moment if you have to, I NEVER got a negative response if I asked for a moment to think. Next, THINK OUT LOUD. Explain why you answered the way you did, and have conviction behind it, or just walk through your answer as you're giving it. Often there aren't right or wrong answers (especially in any of the ethics type questions) but instead grey area's, and it's important to show how you think and how you problem solve. I'll be starting on Wed., but if anyone wants to do some interview prep/mock interviews, I will have some time this weekend, and potentially a few other dates. (I helped with hiring and interviewing at my hospital job as well). We have 2 weeks of a sudo clinical bootcamp, then a week at our clinical site, so the first 3 weeks aren't exactly real classes, and won't have started anatomy yet, so I should have some extra time here or there.

Wow, this was amazing and so helpful. I would love to take you up on the mock interview offer. I'm several (10+) years out of school so I don't have a career services dept and those admissions consulting companies are crazy expensive. I'll PM you this weekend if that's ok!

Just dropping by to say hi! Got my BS in 2011 and I'm currently in my final year of my PhD in neuroscience. Didn't do well in undergrad due to health problems, but I got a diagnosis (a connective tissue disorder) right before starting grad school. I was able to manage my health and get my life together after that, even published a first author paper on the disorder I was diagnosed with. That combined with my PI being an MD-PhD sparked my interest in medicine, particularly in being a physician-scientist. Hoping my story is compelling to at least one school! Good luck to all!

First off, congrats! Regarding suiting, it's tough. Pants look bad on me because I'm really tall. I've been consulting the interview attire thread off and on since getting my first interview a couple of weeks ago and I'm still not getting anywhere. I ordered a maternity skirt suit off of ebay that arrived today but is too small (if a size 8/10 would work for you I'm happy to ship it to you free of charge, it's navy blue). I have a dress suit I ordered from the UK coming next week, hoping that's better. Otherwise I think I'll go with a dress and coordinating but not matching blazer.

Last edited:
tagging this topic
round four, here i go

tagging this topic
round four, here i go

Damn, good on you for sticking out the process for so long. Sending all my good mojo your way, this is gonna be the year ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Unless you are over 50, you are not qualified for "ultra" ... ;) and be thankful for that :)
I am definitely ultra. :)
And thankful to be so!
As my neighbor Bob says when I ask him how he's doing: "Ain't no tag on my big toe, so I must be all right."

Interview number two!!!! Burrell in New Mexico and Pacific Northwest in Yakima. Honestly I never expected to get any interviews this round because I have lower stats. Took the MCAT before I took organic chemistry, physics, or biochem so I only got a 500. Worked as an oregon 9-11 paramedic for seven years before returning to school. Feeling pretty blessed.

Reactions: 3 users
Another Nontrad joining this application cycle. Good luck guys!!

:smack::shrug::thinking:

Congrats, however, on II #2!!!:highfive:

I know. It was a horrible idea. lol But I really wanted to throw my hat in this round. Studied the textbooks and tried to make sense of what I could about a month before hand. Still a horrible idea but my wife, kids and I figured it was worth the Hail Mary.

Feeling a little behind on my AMCAS, its under review. When all my transcripts were in, AACOMAS verified my coursework in one day! I wish AMCAS would be as fast.

Hey @NarutoMD I saw your WAMC post, looking good over there man.

Feeling a little behind on my AMCAS, its under review. When all my transcripts were in, AACOMAS verified my coursework in one day! I wish AMCAS would be as fast.

Hey @NarutoMD I saw your WAMC post, looking good over there man.
Haha, nice to see a fellow July 22nd MCATer @rabbott1971. Good luck to you this cycle! Thank you. Hopefully we get to where we want to go.

I got my second II at my #1 in-state program :soexcited: The interview is next week so now I feel the pressure to get fully prepared.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm refreshing my email so often. I maybe getting neurotic. Posting on various threads here seemed to keep me occupied for a short time, but then I get all worried like I offended someone and its going to follow. I have 4 II, but I seriously cannot wait to go to medical school. I'm not sure what else I could do GPA wise because I have so many UG credits its ridiculous. My postbac gpa is 3.7 and grad gpa 3.83. My mcat verbal is the only thing that is frightening, since the other sections are above 84%. Maybe my essays come across as frustrated a little, truth be told.
But, I seriously cannot wait to be a med student and take the COMLEX and/or USMLE exams. I think my background knowledge will help me at least some. I already have a used First Aid and have been reading instead of spending money on courses, to make sure my finances are tight before school. I have to chill, though, and no drinking a glass of wine to relax since I'm preggo.
Hope everyone else is not freaking out as much as I am.

I'm anxious, too - mostly because I don't have a single II yet! Try to distract yourself, do things you enjoy and work on making progress toward other goals. Pregnancy makes you worry about the future more, too, so I know it's not easy to just relax and take your mind off things. I have stuff piling up waiting to be taken care of and I still check my email every 10 minutes.. With 4 IIs in August, you're in a great position!

I just got my last secondary this week (UCLA) and submitted. I'm officially in the waiting game and attempting not to freak out too much. :D

Well, I turned up to take the MCAT yesterday, on time, there at 7 AM; parked outside the doors of the multi-story building. At 7:15, I went inside and was met by a very lovely lady who said the elevators were out; in fact, power to the building was out.

At 7:30, I was joined by two more testers. At 8, we were told that the power was out and a transformer had blown, possibly due to the storms the night before. By 8:30 we were told that the test was likely canceled. At 9 AM, we were told the test was 99% canceled and at 9:30 we were given ticket #s to call Prometric to reschedule our exams.

Yerkes-Dodson played itself out well. For the 10 of us ready to take it at that site yesterday, I bet we're on the other side of optimal now; figuring out how to get back in the mojo of test prep and readiness. It's not as simple as it sounds when one was ready to be done.

Yeah, 4 IIs seems fabulous! Are they MD and/or DO?