2018 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think anyone is a brazen enough liar to do that. haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha it was definitely tough. I took 4 princeton practice tests an the aamc practice test 1. I feel like it was on par with those; I didn't feel overwhelmed by it. I think when you get a couple of those really tough passages, you remember (probably) doing poorly on those rather than the ones you did well on.

How are you guys handling future work? I just tried to input a research position I start next month, but got the notification that I can't. I definitely want that experience on my application. Is that something I should update once I'm officially started?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you guys handling future work? I just tried to input a research position I start next month, but got the notification that I can't. I definitely want that experience on my application. Is that something I should update once I'm officially started?

A lot of secondaries have a 'tell us your current plans for the year' prompt, or an optional prompt where you can divulge info like this. Also, most schools accept update letters that get tacked onto your complete file through which you could talk about stuff like this.

I feel like if you have a more substantial experience, even if nonclinical, with a good number of hours and that sets you apart in some way shape or form, it would be a better idea to go with that instead for the primary at least

Direct from 2 different dean of admissions "anything you plan to do, anything that is in the future and you aren't currently doing, we basically don't take it into account."
Just passing the info along. It's just easier to assume you aren't going to follow through then to try to use something you "may or may not" do, ya know. Not having goals is one thing, but planning to do something mean little (see the UW presentation the have on the UWSOM page, the dean talks about this about half way through)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I've got my school list locked in, I think. My MCAT didn't turn out how I'd expected, so it is a short list, but I could either spend the next month prewriting secondaries and researching schools or scrambling for an MCAT retake that would push my application late. If things aren't looking good by Thanksgiving, I'll retake MCAT next March...

Anyone else submitting tomorrow? :xf:

I've got my school list locked in, I think. My MCAT didn't turn out how I'd expected, so it is a short list, but I could either spend the next month prewriting secondaries and researching schools or scrambling for an MCAT retake that would push my application late. If things aren't looking good by Thanksgiving, I'll retake MCAT next March...

Anyone else submitting tomorrow? :xf:

Aww, man, that sucks that your MCAT score wasn't what you hoped for. I wouldn't be scrambling to take it again before applying, though. Craft your school list carefully, and I hope you get an acceptance this cycle!

My MCAT score won't be back for another 12 days (but who's counting?), but I'm ready to hit the "submit" button as soon as AMCAS opens. My 3 transcripts (and the 107 courses they detail) are already waiting at HQ for verification!

I will be submitting most likely early next week... won't get my MCAT score until August 1 anyway so there's no rush. Still have to enter all my grades and activities, blah (they are written though)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I submitted yesterday! I wanted to submit on the 1st, but my husband of 10 years decided that he wanted a divorce (out of nowhere!). This application cycle just got way more interesting.

I submitted yesterday! I wanted to submit on the 1st, but my husband of 10 years decided that he wanted a divorce (out of nowhere!). This application cycle just got way more interesting.

Whoa so sorry to hear that. But congrats for submitting!

Is anyone thinking of applying to USUHS? It sounds awesome to me: live in DC, get paid, free tuition, then get to practice potentially around the world serving military and civilian medical needs. I need to read more about it but does anyone have any good links or knowledge of this route?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I'm too old to do this now, but I was an enlisted soldier. You should definitely get acquainted with the military life, as you will be a soldier for several years. I believe one really should have a passion for military medicine. Perhaps try to shadow a physician at your local VA or talk extensively to a recruiter (with keeping in mind that they get points for recruiting, kinda like a salesman). Or if you know anyone in the military. It takes a certain personality and not everyone has it. Also, as a military physician you make alot less money (if that is important to you) than your civilian counterpart. I'm no expert, but I believe you should refocus away from the benefits and understand what it takes to be a soldier first. As, that is you first objective in the military - to serve.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! That is great advice. I don't think there is an age limit, though for USUHS. And this is the right thread for people applying this cycle!

Is anyone thinking of applying to USUHS? It sounds awesome to me: live in DC, get paid, free tuition, then get to practice potentially around the world serving military and civilian medical needs. I need to read more about it but does anyone have any good links or knowledge of this route?

My buddy from college just graduated from USUHS a few weeks ago! It seems like he had a great experience and I swear he went on sooo many hikes and vacations, more than I would expect from a med student haha there are many physical fitness requirements though which I personally would not be able to handle.

I've attached a spreadsheet that might help in keeping track of what's going on in your application life. Sheet 2 (Example) is the original that someone (unfortunately I don't remember who) posted years ago. 'Your Sheet' has some additional stuff I added to include columns like running fees, location of schools, letters needed, and some more details I found were handy to have in front of me.

The fees column should auto-add. As you put dates into the Application Submitted, Secondary Received etc columns they should auto-populate the headers above telling you how many secondaries you have pending, how many apps are complete, all that jazz.

Attachments

• Secondary Fees Spreadsheet Revised.xlsx
    29.8 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 5 users
Just as a note for anyone else. There is an age limit to enter to be an officer for OCS, which applies to recruits. I believe it is before you turn 36, but whoever is interested should double check.

I was reading their website last night and you are correct but they also state you can ask for an age waiver, which is commonly granted... thanks!

MCAT studying while taking a full course load is so difficult!

I'm currently taking ochem 2, physics 2 & molecular cell bio with 2 labs.

Back in march I started trying to memorize all of the amino acid structures, but between working 45 hour weeks and school I just couldn't.

Was originally gonna take MCAT June 17, but I'm gonna push it back to July 22nd. That gives me roughly 10 weeks to focus solely on MCAT once the semester ends.

That's gonna delay my app, but I'd rather get a good MCAT instead of trying to rush through preparation and bomb it. Looking to submit end of August, when my scores come back.

I have my LORs set up. All I have to do now is survive the current semester, write my PS and get a good MCAT.

I'm bummed because I got a C in ochem lecture last semester. Got an A in lab tho.

Actually contrary to the beliefs of many, it is more advantageous to submit your application later with a better MCAT score. If you submit your application around the time you take your MCAT (July 22nd), it will be verified around the end of August, when your MCAT has been scored. If you get your secondaries by the end of August and get them in by the first week of September, you should be fine. I sent my secondaries out September 9th, 2016 and got interviews at 13/26 schools I applied to. Just make sure your application and MCAT score are good and you'll be fine. Schools will find you a little later, got my first correspondence mid- October, but I got into my dream school and 4 others.

Anybody started getting secondaries yet? I hear that a few of the schools that send them to all applicants will have them sent out even pre-verification, but I wasn't sure if that started happening before AMCAS starts sending primaries to schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anybody started getting secondaries yet? I hear that a few of the schools that send them to all applicants will have them sent out even pre-verification, but I wasn't sure if that started happening before AMCAS starts sending primaries to schools.

I haven't....... I did get verified though :) that was exciting

Last edited:
What's the thinking here on writing the secondary "adversity" essay on things that are probably pretty much universal for non-trads? ie, juggling work, school and personal/family life, and some of the specific instances of that, and what coping mechanisms I used. I'm thinking of doing this and couching it in the caveat that I've been fortunate to not have many great struggles in my life.

I'm not going to talk about juggling my family in my secondaries despite parenting and juggling family because I don't want to be stigmatized--I don't want people to think I can't handle medical school or that I won't be involved etc........

I wrote some about parenting in my PS - a few sentences - and tried to frame it in a "this will help me connect more with patients/parents" way, but I don't plan on mentioning it again on secondaries. I may already be judged poorly by some adcoms because I have more kids than normal and I disclosed the number on my PS (and kicked myself about it after submitting). I keep telling myself that if they judge me for it at a particular school, then that's probably a school I don't want to be at anyway. A guy at an admissions office told me he thinks I should use it as my "hook" because it's unique, but I've had other people tell me I shouldn't include it at all. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Two days till MCAT score is released.. no big deal.. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
I wrote some about parenting in my PS - a few sentences - and tried to frame it in a "this will help me connect more with patients/parents" way, but I don't plan on mentioning it again on secondaries. I may already be judged poorly by some adcoms because I have more kids than normal and I disclosed the number on my PS (and kicked myself about it after submitting). I keep telling myself that if they judge me for it at a particular school, then that's probably a school I don't want to be at anyway. A guy at an admissions office told me he thinks I should use it as my "hook" because it's unique, but I've had other people tell me I shouldn't include it at all. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Two days till MCAT score is released.. no big deal.. :nailbiting:

I totally agree. I was talking with an admissions dean and she asked me, "What if one of the committee members thinks that you shouldn't be in medical school because you're a mother? Do you really want to risk that?"
I was aghast. I maybe should have held my tongue, but I said, "If there is a medical school who is not willing to educate someone because he/she is a parent, then I do not belong at that school."

My parenting journey would be my answer to many secondary questions. Like, "What will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician?", "What 3 things would you never give up while you're in medical school?", etc. But I'm really worried that if I say something like, "It will be super challenging for me to study, be involved in EC's, AND parent my kids...." then they will say or think, "Then you shouldn't be here."

Medical schools are teeming with single unattached young people, and I'm concerned about standing out in the wrong way------poor memory skills, lower energy level, extra obligations and priorities at home... It's something I'm hyper-aware about at this point. I did include a parenting-related service activity on my EC's, so I'm not trying to hide it, but since it is not my primary impetus for pursuing a medical degree, I'm just working around it...

YAY for MCAT finally arriving!!! I kept calm for 28 or so days after taking it, but began feeling anxious the final couple days. Hope it's all you wanted and more :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was aghast. I maybe should have held my tongue, but I said, "If there is a medical school who is not willing to educate someone because he/she is a parent, then I do not belong at that school."

This. Anecdotally, I found during this last cycle that there are plenty of places that don't see it as a risk, but rather as a positive. I completely took this attitude during the application because let's be honest: after the excitement of being accepted wears off, we're going to do 4 tough years, and I'd rather do them at a place that genuinely supports parents and gets it. Plus, our kids matter to us, as they should. Kinda like they matter to patients.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't comment on my children in my application aside from an aside mention in describing one of my ECs, and I might not in my secondaries either - depends on the questions, I guess. But I'm certainly not going to try to hide my kids during the application process. I'm 33 years old - at this point, I'd think an ad com should see a married lady with 3 school-aged kids and go, "whew, she won't have to juggle pregnancy and new parenthood as a medical student/resident," not "ewww, tiny people."

90% done with prewriting old secondaries (remaining 10% is just neurotic continual work on stretch schools), last letter of rec should be in by the end of the week, and totally done with everything else but still sitting here a nervous wreck and the cycle has barely even started!

being a reapplicant is hard man :( gonna be a long year for sure

90% done with prewriting old secondaries (remaining 10% is just neurotic continual work on stretch schools), last letter of rec should be in by the end of the week, and totally done with everything else but still sitting here a nervous wreck and the cycle has barely even started!

being a reapplicant is hard man :( gonna be a long year for sure

Keep your head up! That's really good that you have so many prewrites done! What are you doing differently this time around?

Keep your head up! That's really good that you have so many prewrites done! What are you doing differently this time around?

GPA and some ps issues were my red flags when I applied in 2016 and I fixed both through an SMP and working with someone on here on my ps for a couple weeks. I'm from a lucky state and have strong ECs and a good MCAT so probably shouldn't be this worried, but I guess I'm still scarred from all the stress from my previous cycle :/

GPA and some ps issues were my red flags when I applied in 2016 and I fixed both through an SMP and working with someone on here on my ps for a couple weeks. I'm from a lucky state and have strong ECs and a good MCAT so probably shouldn't be this worried, but I guess I'm still scarred from all the stress from my previous cycle :/

I'm sure your SMP will help, plus your MCAT is great! Fingers crossed for you this year!

Glad to find this thread. :)

I just submitted on 6/24. Got a 515 on my MCAT somehow, am due to graduate summa cum laude with a BS in Bio if I don't screw up Physics 2.

However, I'll be 30 by the time I get in. I have two previous bachelor's already - had nine different majors before I got my first one - and have been working full time for four years as an ICU RN, currently training for the hospital rapid response team.

I'm concerned because of a couple of things:
1. ZERO research experience. I mean absolutely zero. Zip, zilch, nada... and it seems like every schools' stats show that 90%+ of matriculated students did research.

2. Most schools on the MSAR show that only 30% of matriculated applicants worked in healthcare. I hear that schools care about paid medical experience, but that's not what it looks like on the MSAR.

2. Very limited academic references... I have finished the biology bachelor's from start to finish from spring '16 to summer '17. I literally only had one teacher more than once. I hardly ever stayed after class or interacted with teachers ever, because I was busy rushing home to get a nap before working from 7p to 7a. I finished my bachelor's in nursing in 2013 and I doubt any of those people remember me, either... so I'm limited to just the one academic reference.

So, I'll be busy sitting over here worrying about whether not doing something I'm not interested in anyway (research) is going to come around to bite me or not. Good luck, guys! I'll be following your progress.

Fellow ICU RN here... applying this year as well. I submitted my primary and will attach other schools once my score comes back. I test Friday.

Congrats on a great MCAT score!

Glad to find this thread. :)

I just submitted on 6/24. Got a 515 on my MCAT somehow, am due to graduate summa cum laude with a BS in Bio if I don't screw up Physics 2.

However, I'll be 30 by the time I get in. I have two previous bachelor's already - had nine different majors before I got my first one - and have been working full time for four years as an ICU RN, currently training for the hospital rapid response team.

I'm concerned because of a couple of things:
1. ZERO research experience. I mean absolutely zero. Zip, zilch, nada... and it seems like every schools' stats show that 90%+ of matriculated students did research.

2. Most schools on the MSAR show that only 30% of matriculated applicants worked in healthcare. I hear that schools care about paid medical experience, but that's not what it looks like on the MSAR.

2. Very limited academic references... I have finished the biology bachelor's from start to finish from spring '16 to summer '17. I literally only had one teacher more than once. I hardly ever stayed after class or interacted with teachers ever, because I was busy rushing home to get a nap before working from 7p to 7a. I finished my bachelor's in nursing in 2013 and I doubt any of those people remember me, either... so I'm limited to just the one academic reference.

So, I'll be busy sitting over here worrying about whether not doing something I'm not interested in anyway (research) is going to come around to bite me or not. Good luck, guys! I'll be following your progress.

Don't worry about your lack of research. A few schools might care (usually those at the tippy top) but even for those schools that like research, they generally still admit some people who don't have any.

I had zero research and got multiple acceptances, including one that MSAR said something like 97% or 98% of matriculants had research. And that school also ended up giving me a really nice merit scholarship to boot. So go figure. I'm not saying to only apply to schools that are research intensive. But it won't be an entirely foolish decision to apply to a selected few.

The lack of letters could be a problem - just because some schools are so specific in the types of letters they want. What other letters do you have? Will you have a committee or advisor letter? Your school might be willing to put one together for you but generally schools have a whole timeline for doing so and it's kind of a little late to be starting the process at this point.

The lack of letters could be a problem - just because some schools are so specific in the types of letters they want. What other letters do you have? Will you have a committee or advisor letter? Your school might be willing to put one together for you but generally schools have a whole timeline for doing so and it's kind of a little late to be starting the process at this point.
I have letters from MDs I work with. They know my abilities in working in healthcare. One of them I also shadowed. One promised to write me a fantastic letter, and he used to be on the admissions board from my number one choice school so at least he'll know what they're looking for. I'm hoping his letter will carry me for sure.

I don't have a committee or advisor letter. I only saw my advisor in person once - I knew what I wanted to do, so just emailed her for the advising code after the first time I spoke with her. I'm regretting that at this point! My school doesn't have a committee, unfortunately.

Anyone else still not verified? Is anyone getting secondaries yet?
Unknown.jpeg

I was for sure planning to talk about my daughter in my PS, never occurred to me that I would skip such an important part of my life. I agree with Hazel-Rah and ChopinLiszt that I wouldn't want to end up at a school and only then find out they have a bad attitude about my child! It seems like such a strange thing to worry about. Frankly my daughter is way more likable than I am. ;););)

PSA for all of those who didn't know like myself: casper signups are open!

Edit: actually the first test date was last night :|

Last edited:
Yeah, I follow that thread, and I have an idea on timing, etc - I just wondered how other nontrads are progressing so far, since we have other responsibilities besides sitting around staring at AMCAS.. ;)

Yeah, I follow that thread, and I have an idea on timing, etc - I just wondered how other nontrads are progressing so far, since we have other responsibilities besides sitting around staring at AMCAS.. ;)

Wait till you start staring at your secondaries' status for new updates hehe

Just finished my first one! They pulled a fast one and changed two of the prompts so took longer than expected to submit. Let the madness begin :)

Just finished my first one! They pulled a fast one and changed two of the prompts so took longer than expected to submit. Let the madness begin :)

Congrats on finishing that! Must feel good to start crossing some secondaries off your list. At the rate AMCAS is verifying, I should be verified by next Friday or the following Monday. I haven't been prewriting because of fears of prompts changing and wasting time, so I'm following school threads to see what the real prompts are for this year. Then I'll (hopefully) get started on the pile of essays. For now I'm just obsessing prematurely about interview clothes. :laugh:

I was verified on the 27th, but no secondaries yet! I'm already feeling the panic because friends got secondaries for schools I applied to as well already. Is there a system as to how everyone/when everyone is released to schools?

Is there a system as to how everyone/when everyone is released to schools?

Randomly sends out to people who were verified before the 30th

Still way too early to start getting worried :stop: you'll be sick of receiving them by the end of next week lol

Yay the wait is over. I submitted my secondary to my #####1 choice a few hours after getting it and I've submitted one other. But already have 3 others piled up that I didn't prewrite for. It's a ***gulp*** every time I have to enter my credit card number for $100. On the plus side I've actually memorized my cc number by now....

Having a low MCAT really makes me feel like a major underdog and I feel quite unsure if I will progress any further. I thought I would feel confident at this point but it's more like hands-in-the-air, fingers crossed, say a prayer and hope for luck. :angelic:

Hi all! Thought I'd join the party. I submitted 6/19 and hoping I'll be verified in the next couple of weeks. I have an MCAT score that's hopefully competitive for mid/low tier MD, but I had a bad test day so I'm prepping for a July re-take to be able to add higher-tier schools if the score comes back where I think it will. I am *very* non-traditional, so I'm hoping to make it in this cycle because I'm not getting any younger! :)

Best wishes to everyone - looking forward to going through this together and starting school next fall!

I submitted on 6/20, any idea when I can expect to be verified? By end of July hopefully? Nontrad with great clinical experience and solid gpa but a 508. So much emphasis is on the mcat so that makes me feel a little less confident. Do schools place more emphasis on ECs vs mcat for us nontrads?