2018 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone needs a PS reader, PM me. I used to work in the communications (though I admit grammar editing is not my forte) and had a very successful cycle this time around. I can go over both flow and content if someone wants, and I'd rather do it for a fellow non-trad.
I need help, don't know where to start from, as of now studying for MCAt for April 28. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, (I have not yet set up an interfolio account, but will) does the LOR writer upload directly to interfolio?

Thanks!

Yes. Basically, you fill out a short thing that tells Interfolio you're expecting a letter from X person. Interfolio will then notify the writer via email with instructions (the writer can either upload a letter directly or snail mail it) and a deadline if you set one. When the letter arrives at Interfolio, they will notify you that it's arrived but you won't be able to read it unless the writer waived confidentiality (tell them not to waive this).

Be sure to let your letter writers know to use letterhead, unless it's for some reason impossible.

I need help, don't know where to start from, as of now studying for MCAt for April 28. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
So the general advice I'd give to start is think of the P.S. as a way for you to stand in the room and pitch your case for why you want to be a doctor and why you think you'll be a good one. For me, as a career changer, this involved the story of how I came back to medicine and what I thought I could bring with me from that career. But don't write something that feels unnatural. Your writing voice is one of the biggest assets you have, and trying to change that almost always works against you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Basically, you fill out a short thing that tells Interfolio you're expecting a letter from X person. Interfolio will then notify the writer via email with instructions (the writer can either upload a letter directly or snail mail it) and a deadline if you set one. When the letter arrives at Interfolio, they will notify you that it's arrived but you won't be able to read it unless the writer waived confidentiality (tell them not to waive this).

Be sure to let your letter writers know to use letterhead, unless it's for some reason impossible.

Great, thanks a lot.

Also a bit of advice on the PS for all. Don't TELL things about yourself, rather show them. IE don't say "I am passionate about learning" - rather illustrate it in your writing so the meaning comes across without directly saying it. Much more impactful this way, and if the essays I worked on for our premed honor society are anything to go by, will give you a huge leg up. Literally every one I read from traditional students sounded the same, with different activities, just saying "I did xxx and it meant yyy, and I want to serve people and medicine is a mix of connecting with people and the science, and you have to be a lifelong learner". I couldn't imagine being a screener/adcom.

Reactions: 2 users
First time posting: Is anyone else trying to take the MCAT with a considerable amount of required science classes left? I'm studying the MCAT full time right now, but I have yet to take Physics 2, OChem2, Bio2, Biochem, Psych, and any other advanced class that may or may not be required by specific schools.

Hazzah for Non-trads!

Reactions: 1 user
First time posting: Is anyone else trying to take the MCAT with a considerable amount of required science classes left? I'm studying the MCAT full time right now, but I have yet to take Physics 2, OChem2, Bio2, Biochem, Psych, and any other advanced class that may or may not be required by specific schools.

Hazzah for Non-trads!

To be honest - that sounds like a terrible idea. Is there a reason why you are rushing to take it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

stop now! I went nontrad and outperformed the dummies in my state, and nothing came of it. it really isn't worth it! save yourself the time and money!!

"I'm bitter that it didn't work out for me so I'm going to pretend like I'm a savior and try to talk everyone else out of it because they surely will fail just like me". Yeah I checked your post history - go cry in a corner rather than spout nonsense and drag other people down. Everyone knows it isn't a sure thing to get into medical school - and I bet your personality got in the way. Look, you made a throw away account just to troll, no one cares, and you're not providing any insight or helping anyone. "Delete your account"

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
To be honest - that sounds like a terrible idea. Is there a reason why you are rushing to take it?
Yeah... I'm in the military and if I don't make it in this cycle, then I'll be moved to a new base and incur an additional committment or be forced to get out and potentially try to do all this with no income. Also, I've got another kid on the way and that will only complicate things next cycle.

Last edited:

Hazzah for Non-trads!
Unpopular opinion but I actually think you can do it. I did all of those subjects in 2006-2007 (still haven't done biochem) so safe to say I didn't remember anything when I took the mcat in 2015. Everything you need to do well on the mcat is in kaplan/ek texts, ek/ns practice tests...and other aamc stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unpopular opinion but I actually think you can do it. I did all of those subjects in 2006-2007 (still haven't done biochem) so safe to say I didn't remember anything when I took the mcat in 2015. Everything you need to do well on the mcat is in kaplan/ek texts, ek/ns practice tests...and other aamc stuff.

You are leaving your MCAT score out of that statement though; was it good, average, great?

You are leaving your MCAT score out of that statement though; was it good, average, great?
lol fair enough. I wouldn't say it was great because it was <520 but not by much.
Edit: Geology major

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on your background. I was a physics major (least useful major for the raw content on MCAT it seems), and I self studied biochem because of how my post bac classes lined up. Ended up having my lowest subsection score in the bio section (which I expected, since my weakness was a general strength for the testing population), but it seemed to have worked out for me. 513 overall with 127 in the bio/biochem section. That said, I'd have been better off with the class first.

Physics won't be much of a loss, organic 2 likely won't be a huge deal, and psych wouldn't teach the broad content of the exam anyways...

All that said, definitely take it seriously. I wouldn't say that a textbook is a bad idea to provide the foundation. Maybe the prep books are better formulated for that section now, but the first batch of books left a bit to be desired.

You can do fine without biochem, and given your life situation I can see the desire to get it done, but... respect the test. Don't skimp on your prep, and if you aren't taking a biochem course then be sure to deeply cover it somehow.

I think that's because prep books are based around the idea you've already been taught the fundamentals, so they are more review than anything. I didn't "learn" anything when I prepped to be honest - it wasn't learning concepts or new ideas. And that's the issue with trying to take it without the classes. You're trying to replace 60+ hours of lecture for each class on topics teaching foundational ideas, with content geared towards review.

But if life prevents you from taking the classes, it is what it is - thus why I asked. Just know you are taking a risk - and if you don't perform to the level you want - you'll either be rushing to retake (terrible idea) - or waiting a year and in the same place as if you waited, but now having to overcome having 2 scores.

It's been 3 years to get to this point but I'm excited to finally being applying next month. I am from Texas but focusing on DO schools. Good luck to everyone this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I just took the MCAT! Now I was wondering if you would mind entertaining a few what-ifs. My sample AAMC exam scores were around the 510 mark but I honestly have no idea how I did. I ran out of time badly on the first two sections (and CARS was my redeeming section, scoring 130 on practice tests, so it could be bad if I bombed that section.)

Here are my thoughts.
What if I get < 508?
-I will probably drop out of the race this year.

What if I get 508+?
-I will go ahead and submit my app.

I won't find out until May 30 though how I did, so I don't want to inconvenience all my letter writers. I will, though, go ahead and fill out the AMCAS and gather all my transcripts and grades... From what I understand I can add the letters by June 15 and still be first in line since I can click submit without the letters.

Thanks for any advice or guidance :)

Last edited:
I just took the MCAT! Now I was wondering if you would mind entertaining a few what-ifs. My sample AAMC exam scores were around the 510 mark but I honestly have no idea how I did. I ran out of time badly on the first two sections (and CARS was my redeeming section, scoring 130 on practice tests, so it could be bad if I bombed that section.)

Here are my thoughts.
What if I get < 508?
-I will probably drop out of the race this year.

What if I get 508+?
-I will go ahead and submit my app.

I won't find out until May 30 though how I did, so I don't want to inconvenience all my letter writers. I will, though, go ahead and fill out the AMCAS and gather all my transcripts and grades... From what I understand I can add the letters by June 15 and still be first in line since I can click submit without the letters. I have several writers agreed to do a letter: my boss at work, former research adviser, nursing school professor, 2 recent science professors, Peace Corps country director.

It seems futile to make a school list until I know my score, but the schools I'm currently researching and interested in due to location/mission are:
UMich
Mich State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Mich
OHSU (my BSN is from there)
WVU (my HS diploma is from WV)
and 2 of my state schools---UVA, VCU.
(With U.Mich being my very very top choice and OHSU 2nd. I'm also curious about Mayo and Case Western.)

Thanks for any advice or guidance :)
Hey! Just something to keep in mind is that you really don't need your LOR until you submit secondaries so really you've got plenty of time to get those. Also, I'm pretty sure can still get your app verified even without them, and that you can add new letter writers way after your app is submitted and verified. At the very least, you could always plug in the people you're expecting letters from in your app and send them all the documentation they need. Just mention to them that you don't need them to write the letters until (insert date you want). And if someone backs out as your letter writer, you can always remove them from your list and schools won't be expecting the letter anymore.

Hey! Just something to keep in mind is that you really don't need your LOR until you submit secondaries so really you've got plenty of time to get those. Also, I'm pretty sure can still get your app verified even without them, and that you can add new letter writers way after your app is submitted and verified. At the very least, you could always plug in the people you're expecting letters from in your app and send them all the documentation they need. Just mention to them that you don't need them to write the letters until (insert date you want). And if someone backs out as your letter writer, you can always remove them from your list and schools won't be expecting the letter anymore.

Thank you!

MCAT studying while taking a full course load is so difficult!

I'm currently taking ochem 2, physics 2 & molecular cell bio with 2 labs.

Back in march I started trying to memorize all of the amino acid structures, but between working 45 hour weeks and school I just couldn't.

Was originally gonna take MCAT June 17, but I'm gonna push it back to July 22nd. That gives me roughly 10 weeks to focus solely on MCAT once the semester ends.

That's gonna delay my app, but I'd rather get a good MCAT instead of trying to rush through preparation and bomb it. Looking to submit end of August, when my scores come back.

I have my LORs set up. All I have to do now is survive the current semester, write my PS and get a good MCAT.

I'm bummed because I got a C in ochem lecture last semester. Got an A in lab tho.

Submitting end of August is really pushing it, that means most of you're secondaries won't be in until what, end of September/start of October? I'd strongly advice to think about pushing back a year if you are really getting that late into the cycle. Submitting early, aka day one, really does effect your chances.

Submitting end of August is really pushing it, that means most of you're secondaries won't be in until what, end of September/start of October? I'd strongly advice to think about pushing back a year if you are really getting that late into the cycle. Submitting early, aka day one, really does effect your chances.

I understand what you're saying, but I feel like I have to at least try.

Also, in Texas you fill out your secondaries along with your primaries. I will be applying to a significant number of out of state schools, however.

Would it make a different if I submitted without my MCAT? I know my app would be considered "incomplete" without the score.

Anecdotal evidence is moot, but a good friend of mine got in last year and she didn't apply until September.

Yes it would make a difference, because you can get in the "verification wait line" submitting without it, so deff do that. And anecdotally, all that changed in my app was a rewritten ps/and activities (my ps was strong but didn't want to appear lazy and not rewrite), and applying first day instead of first week in July (with a 4-6 week verification wait after) and I went from 0 II's to 6. I also received II's for the very first day of interviews, so with rolling admissions that makes a huge difference in acceptance chances.

It's also a very expensive thing, and being a reapplicant if you don't need to be is best avoided. Manly because you HAVE to show an improvement. Otherwise if they rejected you once why would they come to a different conclusion.

Just my opinion though, so don't take this as anything more than 1 opinion :)

If it really makes a difference I might submit w/o my MCAT.

That would actually give me some time to do something fun while I'm waiting on my scores to come back instead of doing everything then.

Non trad checking in. MCAT next month :) I've been waiting so long for this cycle to arrived. Scared and excited.

Woo hoo, how are you feeling about MCAT. I just took it last Friday, so the wait on scores is still a long time!

If anyone needs a PS reader, PM me. I used to work in the communications (though I admit grammar editing is not my forte) and had a very successful cycle this time around. I can go over both flow and content if someone wants, and I'd rather do it for a fellow non-trad.

Are you still open/available to read personal statements?

I can't believe it's already time for everyone to be starting their apps! I believe I've already said this, but I'll say it again;

Start preparing yourself mentally for the stress, the waiting, etc. that the cycle will bring. Know that the next year + could be spent not knowing the final outcomes. Perfect example, I'm sitting on a ranked WL, and an unranked WL right now, in addition to an acceptance. Both WL schools rank higher for me, and I'm right around how far they normally make it on the ranked WL, which means I likely won't know until the first day of orientation where I'll be going. That will mark 16 months since my second application opened, and 28 months since the first app I filled out. It will be stressful, anxiety ridden, and you'll wonder prolly at times question if it's all worth it. But you will get through it. Don't let it eat you alive. Be prepared for some disappointments along the way, but also be ready for the shear joy of finding out all your hard work has paid off. And most importantly, if things don't work out, figure out how to move forward, and stay positive. It may take more than one application, but if you remain committed, things will work out.

Checking in as well! Taking the MCAT on June 1st, and I'm absolutely terrified. I've had a horrendous few months on the person front, and my brain isn't in the game. I finished my post-bacc last month with a 4.0. Came in with a 3.9 cGPA (no sGPA) from undergrad so overall finishing very strong on that front. Have tons of research experience, a research gig lined up for after the MCAT, volunteering, shadowing, TAing, all that jazz. I'm so worried the MCAT is going to be my demise. I can't take it on the 6/16 or 6/17 dates but I've been debating the 6/30 round. Just worried it will be too late.

Checking in as well! Taking the MCAT on June 1st, and I'm absolutely terrified. I've had a horrendous few months on the person front, and my brain isn't in the game. I finished my post-bacc last month with a 4.0. Came in with a 3.9 cGPA (no sGPA) from undergrad so overall finishing very strong on that front. Have tons of research experience, a research gig lined up for after the MCAT, volunteering, shadowing, TAing, all that jazz. I'm so worried the MCAT is going to be my demise. I can't take it on the 6/16 or 6/17 dates but I've been debating the 6/30 round. Just worried it will be too late.

Yeah! Go you! With a 4.0 in the post bacc I bet you won't need much content review. Hammer out the practice tests, do an AAMC one soon. That will show you if you're ready or not. Good luck and welcome!

I need help with the work/activities section! If I thought like a typical pre med, I could come up with like 59 things. I don't really want to share so many personal details though and the official forum is mostly advice for younger premeds. How do you go about making your list? What is important and what to leave out?
Does anyone have advice?

I need help with the work/activities section! If I thought like a typical pre med, I could come up with like 59 things. I don't really want to share so many personal details though and the official forum is mostly advice for younger premeds. How do you go about making your list? What is important and what to leave out?
Does anyone have advice?

I also had a hard time deciding how to filter/organize/theme my W&A section. I ended up using the AAMC medical student core competencies as a guide (https://www.staging.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/). This was my basic plan for the W&A section:

-There were experiences that I knew I wanted in there, and some of them were multi-year experiences. In that case, I used the competencies as a way to narrow 2,000 hours of a broad experience into 700 characters.
-After I had the big ones in there, I identified the core competencies that weren't yet represented in my application, and then used that factor as part of the decision process for deciding what else to put into my W&A section.
-I tried to use concrete examples as much as possible to show why a particular experience demonstrated a particular competency or set of competencies.
-For each entry, I tried to speak to at least one of the following three things: why the experience was impactful, how it helped me grow, how it helped me decide on medicine as a career (the "so what" factor).
-I intentionally left off some "achievement" themed entries in favor of something softer / more personal (hobbies, in my case), which was the exception to the above bullet.

I'd also recommend chipping away at these early, as the whole application is a bear for us non-trads who have a decent amount of life experience to try and articulate. Personally, I used my PS and W&A section as a productive way to rest my brain from MCAT studying.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
I also had a hard time deciding how to filter/organize/theme my W&A section. I ended up using the AAMC medical student core competencies as a guide (https://www.staging.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/). This was my basic plan for the W&A section:

-There were experiences that I knew I wanted in there, and some of them were multi-year experiences. In that case, I used the competencies as a way to narrow 2,000 hours of a broad experience into 700 characters.
-After I had the big ones in there, I identified the core competencies that weren't yet represented in my application, and then used that factor as part of the decision process for deciding what else to put into my W&A section.
-I tried to use concrete examples as much as possible to show why a particular experience demonstrated a particular competency or set of competencies.
-For each entry, I tried to speak to at least one of the following three things: why the experience was impactful, how it helped me grow, how it helped me decide on medicine as a career (the "so what" factor).
-I intentionally left off some "achievement" themed entries in favor of something softer / more personal (hobbies, in my case), which was the exception to the above bullet.

I'd also recommend chipping away at these early, as the whole application is a bear for us non-trads who have a decent amount of life experience to try and articulate. Personally, I used my PS and W&A section as a productive way to rest my brain from MCAT studying.

Hope this helps!
That is really good advice, thank you!

Also, don't focus on what you did, focus on what the experience meant to you. This was the feedback I was given at multiple feedback sessions last cycle. This shouldn't be like a resume of skills you have learned. It should be about what it meant to you, why it was important, how you grew as a person, etc.

Also, don't focus on what you did, focus on what the experience meant to you. This was the feedback I was given at multiple feedback sessions last cycle. This shouldn't be like a resume of skills you have learned. It should be about what it meant to you, why it was important, how you grew as a person, etc.

What are feedback sessions?

Also, don't be afraid to use bullet points if you don't have a lot of space. It really helped me cram as much relevant info as I could in my W&A section, or condense multiple experiences into one activity slot. And for the most significant experience, since there are 2 text boxes (1 just like your usual W&A slot, and then another for extra space), I put the description of the activity in the top box in bullet form, but did a paragraph form for the bottom box of why it's significant.

Silly question, but I am trying to plan my school list. Obviously if I shoot an initial wide net I am incurring a large primary cost. Can I submit my app with a modest list and then add based on my MCAT score (testing 6/1)? I don't want to send to a bunch of places that ultimately are not feasible. What is everyone's strategy for school selection?

What are feedback sessions?

Often if you aren't acceptance you can ask for one, and they'll go over why they didn't accept you/changes you can make in your app. Some places only do this post II, some places do it for anyone that makes the effort, other places don't do it at all.

Also yes, you can submit with just 1 school than add to it. However, with that said, I have to ask, would you be applying to less schools if you got a bad MCAT? Because that's when you'd want to cast your net wider. There is basically no reason to not apply broadly if you financially are able to. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My thought was adding my reach schools if my MCAT is where I want it to be.

Silly question, but I am trying to plan my school list. Obviously if I shoot an initial wide net I am incurring a large primary cost. Can I submit my app with a modest list and then add based on my MCAT score (testing 6/1)? I don't want to send to a bunch of places that ultimately are not feasible. What is everyone's strategy for school selection?

My priorties
1. Place I would actually want to move my family to
2. School mission, curriculum, fit, reputation
3. Opportunity for worthwhile rotations, good residency options
4. Support system in place--I.e., place where I already have friends or nearby family
5. Good public schools
6. Affordability of homes

Do you have an older, lower score? If so, this would be a good idea. Runs less risk of being screened out by a poor initial score + later score from update, especially for your reach schools.

My priorties
4. Support system in place--I.e., place where I already have friends or nearby family
5. Good public schools

You forgot the big thing that comes right after family: tuition! :)

Do you have an older, lower score? If so, this would be a good idea. Runs less risk of being screened out by a poor initial score + later score from update, especially for your reach schools.

You forgot the big thing that comes right after family: tuition! :)

Well, you're right. I do look at tuition, but I've seen so many people get scholarships and the higher the tuition, it seems that there is more scholarship money available..... So, a while ago, I looked at OHSU's exorbitant OOS cost and ruled out applying there, but I'm going to apply now, and hope for help (and explore the possibility of getting cinsider d in state after moving there). I have also found out that because of multiple factors, I qualify for IS tuition at quite a few places...... that's why I didn't list it :)

My priorties
5. Good public schools
Well, you're right. I do look at tuition, but I've seen so many people get scholarships and the higher the tuition, it seems that there is more scholarship money available..... So, a while ago, I looked at OHSU's exorbitant OOS cost and ruled out applying there, but I'm going to apply now, and hope for help (and explore the possibility of getting cinsider d in state after moving there). I have also found out that because of multiple factors, I qualify for IS tuition at quite a few places...... that's why I didn't list it :)

Oh man OHSU would be a dream. Unfortunately I don't meet the geography requirements and I think I'm nontrad enough to warrant an application, but I heard it is beautiful up there.

And yeah, that's how I see it too. I think it's important to distinguish some leway when it comes to tuition and deciding between schools. A lot of people on here can be very quick to say 'take the cheaper option' but I think it's important to make a window of tuition between which a better quality of life by superior location or family or whatever would make the higher tuition worth it. Hoping I won't have to face that kind of decision though :)

Is anyone here planning on applying to Oklahoma State COM?

Also, (I have not yet set up an interfolio account, but will) does the LOR writer upload directly to interfolio?

Thanks!

I'll be applying to OSU COM, and to OU Med. Are you in-state?

I've done some Q-packs, but really just getting started, I wanted to finish up the semester, had OChem II, biochem and micro, so didn't leave much time for MCAT work. How was the test? I'm fairly intimidated so feel free to lie and say it wasn't that bad, hehe.