2018 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start it. Hopefully, this year, I will finish it.

Let's do this folks!

Two cycles have gone by:

1st one - not ready, not even close... wth was I thinking (no MCAT, no physics, MCAT scheduled, father's illness, circuitous consulting gigs, tumultuous financial situation).

2nd one - mostly ready... physics (A+), genetics (A), human genetics (A), medical mycology (A) taken; MCAT was scheduled, $7,000 missing from checking account 3 days prior, took/voided exam (freaking P/S section anyway - to that point, I was scoring the little gem), financial consulting gigs really wonky/terrible/off; for instance, Chinese company bought my client and my contract was torn up :(

This one. This cycle.

3rd & Final - ready!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Taking MCAT in 6 days. Feel ready to take it, practice scores have been good.

cGPA is over 3.75 and sGPA is over 3.85. Have ochem 2 and another biology course this semester, the ochem 2 is with a generous grader. About 150 hours of clinical volunteering. Need to find shadowing and letters of rec in last semester.

Good job - looks like you're in great shape once the shadowing is solidified :)

5 days until the MCAT and 98 days until I can submit my TMDSAS app. I cannot believe it is almost time.

I'm feeling good about my app at this point. The MCAT will be the deciding factor.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
- Taking Physics 2 and lab this semester
- Breaking ground on my personal statement and securing LORs now
- Will be shadowing a psychiatrist in a few weeks
- Will begin studying in a couple weeks for MCAT in late April
- Oh, and working full time while trying to be an attentive dad/husband

Am I missing anything??

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE! Hope to join you on the other side this cycle!

I'm taking MCAT April 28, and vaguely thinking about LORs, essays, etc but mostly just studying for MCAT. I am missing some pre reqs but I will take them if required. All schools I talked to said they didn't care if a class was missing here or there. (3rd term of ochem and second semester physics, which I really wish I would have taken and plan to take in the summer or next fall) Working part time, attempting to study 25h/week and full time parenting.

Reactions: 1 users
vaguely thinking about LORs.

It never hurts to start inquiring about these early. Oft times, the professors are so buried with end of semester tests, grading, etc that if you wait until the month before AMCAS opens, it might delay you getting them efficiently. Plus, if you start to ask now, if someone gets wishy-washy, you can always ask others and have time to do so.

Breaking ground on my personal statement and securing LORs now

Great! Keep at the PS writing - make sure when the new reader review list opens (@WedgeDawg ?) that you reach out to more than one person. I think I had over 25 people read and critique mine; still found things to fix :)

Here is the link to the 2016 - 2017 cycle PS reader list (am sure the 2017 - 2018 will be up soon); please go to the END of the post as many of us stated we are NOT available for the 2016 - 17 cycle (will probably review for 2017 - 2018 as soon as I'm sure my own vat of guano is ready ;) )

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ment-guide-and-reader-list-2016-2017.1178488/

I'm taking MCAT April 28, and vaguely thinking about LORs, essays, etc but mostly just studying for MCAT. I am missing some pre reqs but I will take them if required. All schools I talked to said they didn't care if a class was missing here or there. (3rd term of ochem and second semester physics, which I really wish I would have taken and plan to take in the summer or next fall) Working part time, attempting to study 25h/week and full time parenting.

You need to request LORs ASAP. Being an early applicant is the most important thing you can do at this point after the MCAT.

- Taking Physics 2 and lab this semester
- Breaking ground on my personal statement and securing LORs now
- Will be shadowing a psychiatrist in a few weeks
- Will begin studying in a couple weeks for MCAT in late April
- Oh, and working full time while trying to be an attentive dad/husband

Am I missing anything??

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE! Hope to join you on the other side this cycle!

I feel your pain. It all ends this Saturday at 3:00 PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Throwing my name in the ring.

-Got my Bach degree a few years ago but am taking 3 more classes this summer to bump up both c and s GPAs to >3.0.
-Currently studying for MCAT and doing quite well; planning to take the test in May, maybe June at the latest
-Lots of shadowing done from various med profs
-LORs uploaded to Interfolio already
-Fine-tuning PS
-Clinical and non-clinical work and volunteering under my belt & continuing to volunteer

Hopefully I'll have enough of a compelling story and get a high enough MCAT to get accepted this cycle! If not then plan B is to do a Masters and retake MCAT if needed then reapply after that. I'll be a physician some day!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just dawned on me that this is only for people applying this cycle, I originally thought it was a general "how is your progress" non-trad post :p

Last edited:
I'm still technically a senior (again) this semester :eek: (I'm basically going to be a senior for 3 years, lol)

MCAT + application dates: Spring 2018
- 120 hrs under academic fresh start: cGPA 3.95, sGPA 4.0. (this is what Texas schools will see on TMDSAS)
- non AFS GPA 3.47 (includes a bunch of BS military courses that were P/F and magically transferred to B's by GWU..zzzzz.) (This is what non-Texas schools will see and it should be above a 3.5 by application time with a 3.8 sGPA)
- 40 hrs hospice so far to add to my 8k hrs as an army medic/lab tech (and I'm adding currently 12 per month, total at application should be 200+ hospice)
- 24 hrs habitat for humanity volunteering (adding 4 per month, total at application should be 75+)
- 8 hrs shadowing
- Spent the break taking Jack Westin's CARS course and am currently finishing practice sections under time with 2 - 4 wrong answers (I still don't know what score that translates to)

Current semester load: Ochem, Genetics, Immunology, Medical Terminology

Recommend scheduling the MCAT ASAP. Plenty of people are already complaining about no seats being available in their state and having to drive half a day to find an open seat.

You need to request LORs ASAP. Being an early applicant is the most important thing you can do at this point after the MCAT.
To be fair .. he needs his MCAT first... no need to contact them prior.

I disagree with that. If someone is aiming to submit an early app, which we should all aim to do, the last thing they want to do is wait until late May to request LORs.

Not true at all.

Better to contact them presuming he already knows them. Known of mine cared about the MCAT score because they weren't concerned about writing a strong LOR in the first place making the MCAT score irrelevant to their discussion of my ability to be a physician.

However, the file will NOT be complete and able to be reviewed by any medical school until the MCAT score is in.

Not true at all.

Better to contact them presuming he already knows them. Known of mine cared about the MCAT score because they weren't concerned about writing a strong LOR in the first place making the MCAT score irrelevant to their discussion of my ability to be a physician.

However, the file will NOT be complete and able to be reviewed by any medical school until the MCAT score is in.

Sorry for the dumb question, but not expecting seats for April to be filled up already, I was forced to register for a later MCAT (late May) which means I won't get my score back until late June. That said, is it possible to complete all other parts of my application in order to just "press submit" as soon as I receive my MCAT score?

Sorry for the dumb question, but not expecting seats for April to be filled up already, I was forced to register for a later MCAT (late May) which means I won't get my score back until late June. That said, is it possible to complete all other parts of my application in order to just "press submit" as soon as I receive my MCAT score?

You can and should submit your app without an MCAT score so that AMCAS can verify your coursework. What many people do, if they are unsure of how they'll do, is apply to a single school. Then when they get the score, they add schools as appropriate.

@Nontrad Dad you can submit your application the first day (June 6, maybe?) and AMCAS will start the verification of your transcripts once those are received. About the time your AMCAS transcripts are verified, your MCAT score will be released.

Once the application is verified, the application is sent to your schools.

However, this is where the MCAT score is required. I don't know of any school that will send out secondaries until the MCAT score is received and the file considered complete for review (this is for MD schools only; I do not know the DO process).

Last year, I submitted my entire application day 1, planning on the MCAT shortly thereafter. I was complete by July 9 (late transcript getting to AAMC). My application was sent to my only school and they acknowledged receipt of it. Had I scored my MCAT, I would have been considered complete and secondary sent.

I only applied to one (!!!!) school to get the verification process started (can add other scores once MCAT is scored)

Advantages?

1. Schools see the package was ready day 1 (although, the package isn't really as the MCAT score isn't there; family who is adcom said the day 1 matters, others on here have said not so much, YMMV)

2. Fire/forget... once you click the submit button it really is only about the MCAT score - everything else is done - you can start to pre-write secondaries for the schools to which you applied (generally the threads are repeated from prior years with little variation... pre-writing the presumed 100s of essays can save you the stress when those come)

Also, if you are in on day 1, your timeframe for verification is generally shortened as many submit the following 2 weeks and it takes forever to get verified. I think @HopefulPilot had his application verified in less than 24 hours or something crazy fast like that. What did it allow him to do? Focus on secondaries... (Tagged him, hoping he'll chime in)

3. In my case, applying to one school was planned as my thinking was that if I should bomb the MCAT, I could retake, or take some time off and apply next cycle. The only school I would be considered a reapplicant at is that one school. At all others, I'm a first time applicant.

Not sure if that helps... also, I was told by the same kind person tagged that you can order your transcripts the day AMCAS allows input into the system (generally the 1st week of May). His transcripts were there the day AMCAS opened for submission.

That is slick! :)

Recommend scheduling the MCAT ASAP. Plenty of people are already complaining about no seats being available in their state and having to drive half a day to find an open seat.

I'm not taking the MCAT until May of next year, I don't even think those exam dates are listed yet :D

Hi all,
Physics and orgo this semester and mcat may 18 (April was booked when I registered a few weeks ago). So studying a lot mixed with full time job as a EM PA and father trying to be as present as possible.

I've asked a couple people about LORs but where do they send them when they're done? Is there a link they upload to?

Some people use Interfolio (where they are stored for 2 years, I think); I used AMCAS last year and will do so again this year :(

Hi all,
Physics and orgo this semester and mcat may 18 (April was booked when I registered a few weeks ago). So studying a lot mixed with full time job as a EM PA and father trying to be as present as possible.

I've asked a couple people about LORs but where do they send them when they're done? Is there a link they upload to?

If you can spare $20, I recommend Interfolio. That way you can send them to AMCAS, TMDSAS, and/or AACOMAS as necessary and only have to get your writers to upload once. TMDSAS, for example, won't let you upload letters until you've submitted your app. So if you want to submit on or near day 1, you're going to have hope and pray your writers are around and remember to upload. Not sure if AMCAS or AACOMAS allow you to upload before the app cycle opens.

It never hurts to start inquiring about these early. Oft times, the professors are so buried with end of semester tests, grading, etc that if you wait until the month before AMCAS opens, it might delay you getting them efficiently. Plus, if you start to ask now, if someone gets wishy-washy, you can always ask others and have time to do so.

Thank you for the encouragement. I had hoped to take MCAT march 31 so that I could then turn to PS, etc, however I had no idea seats would fill up so when I went to register, the soonest I could get was April 28.

That leaves me only the month of May to focus on essays, so I appreciate the thought that I should get things more in order now.

Does anyone know when the AMCAS opens so that I can start filling it out??

Also, I have enough people who said that yes they would write me a letter, but if I do poorly on MCAT, I am going to wait another year so I don't want to ask my boss for a letter because she doesn't know about my plans yet. But she already wrote me a letter for something else, so I know she will... That is why I may not have all my letters until after I take the MCAT.

I will try to submit by June 1, but I don't want to be so stressed out about it. For me the highest priority is a high MCAT score. A June 1 submission would be ideal though! Thanks for all the tips from everyone!

Last edited:
Here is a question for anyone who may know now that I've got a fire lit on the LOR brain wave:
Should I get a LOR from an ER doctor in my department?
Someone once posted to me (I think it was gyngyn) that letters from coworkers are not very powerful.

But isn't a letter from a physician a good one to have? The physicians who know me best are the ones I've worked 5 years with........

ER doctor in my department =/= coworkers
When people speak of co-workers it more like other RN's, NPs, PAs, finance / IT peers, etc.

But an ER MD/DO? that has supervised you or been working with you a lengthy period of time? I would think that'd be a pretty strong LOR.

@Nontrad Dad you can submit your application the first day (June 6, maybe?) and AMCAS will start the verification of your transcripts once those are received. About the time your AMCAS transcripts are verified, your MCAT score will be released.

Once the application is verified, the application is sent to your schools.

However, this is where the MCAT score is required. I don't know of any school that will send out secondaries until the MCAT score is received and the file considered complete for review (this is for MD schools only; I do not know the DO process).

Last year, I submitted my entire application day 1, planning on the MCAT shortly thereafter. I was complete by July 9 (late transcript getting to AAMC). My application was sent to my only school and they acknowledged receipt of it. Had I scored my MCAT, I would have been considered complete and secondary sent.

I only applied to one (!!!!) school to get the verification process started (can add other scores once MCAT is scored)

Advantages?

1. Schools see the package was ready day 1 (although, the package isn't really as the MCAT score isn't there; family who is adcom said the day 1 matters, others on here have said not so much, YMMV)

2. Fire/forget... once you click the submit button it really is only about the MCAT score - everything else is done - you can start to pre-write secondaries for the schools to which you applied (generally the threads are repeated from prior years with little variation... pre-writing the presumed 100s of essays can save you the stress when those come)

Also, if you are in on day 1, your timeframe for verification is generally shortened as many submit the following 2 weeks and it takes forever to get verified. I think @HopefulPilot had his application verified in less than 24 hours or something crazy fast like that. What did it allow him to do? Focus on secondaries... (Tagged him, hoping he'll chime in)

3. In my case, applying to one school was planned as my thinking was that if I should bomb the MCAT, I could retake, or take some time off and apply next cycle. The only school I would be considered a reapplicant at is that one school. At all others, I'm a first time applicant.

Not sure if that helps... also, I was told by the same kind person tagged that you can order your transcripts the day AMCAS allows input into the system (generally the 1st week of May). His transcripts were there the day AMCAS opened for submission.

That is slick! :)

All really helpful points! Thanks very much!

With all of this talk about getting transcripts in early and verifying only through one school, how common is it that they get messed up in the process and how catastrophic? I don't have a ton of money to be throwing around to various schools, so everywhere I'm applying is a very important choice…

With all of this talk about getting transcripts in early and verifying only through one school, how common is it that they get messed up in the process and how catastrophic?

Getting transcripts in early just means ordering them the day AMCAS opens.

I've never heard of any issues with AMCAS, I've heard of issues with the schools where a transcript isn't sent (easily fixed). Many schools have an online ability to push the transcript to AMCAS immediately; also, you get an email notification stating what's been received from AMCAS (same with verification process and LORs)

Not sure what you mean by catastrophic?

Getting transcripts in early just means ordering them the day AMCAS opens.

I've never heard of any issues with AMCAS, I've heard of issues with the schools where a transcript isn't sent (easily fixed). Many schools have an online ability to push the transcript to AMCAS immediately; also, you get an email notification stating what's been received from AMCAS (same with verification process and LORs)

Not sure what you mean by catastrophic?
I mean more so for the manual input part, like once it's verified and if you messed up on a grade or something, your GPA could potentially be very different. I guess it isn't really an issue now with the osteopathic grade replacement policy gone.

I guess it isn't really an issue now with the osteopathic grade replacement policy gone.
I can't speak to anything DO related as I'm allo only. Sorry :(

Until admitted, I might suggest, like prior years, keeping this thread alive :) Using the Class of... list for post-acceptance :)

It does sometimes happen, but a quick call/email normally sorts that stuff out (transcript issues). I second getting everything in early, and requesting transcripts the first day app opens (usually exactly a month before submission opens). First day first minute submissions will normally process in a couple hours to a couple days, wait a week, and it can be weeks. I waited my first cycle until my grades posted end of June, and it was something like an additional 6 week verification wait - result, 0 II's. This cycle I submitted day 1, result - 3 MD II's, 2 DO II's, 2 DO acceptances, and 2 pending MD decisions (and 1 II on the 17th)

LOR's and interfolio should be started NOW. I don't think I know anyone that had all their LOR's turned in by the writers when they said they would. I know people that had to wait months after someone said they would write it to get it back. DO. IT. NOW. Seriously. It always is a giant headache. There is no reason to wait and not get them now. Letters from a doc that knows you well is a huge benefit. In my app feedback session at UW after my rejection last cycle - they basically said all academic letters say about the same thing, and don't mean a whole lot. It's the letter from bosses, docs, superiors, etc that can really speak about who you are that make the difference.

If anyone has any questions or needs any help, feel free to reach out and I'll do what I can. Reading over activities, PS, how to fill out activities, etc. Also good luck on those taking the MCAT, and good luck in the upcoming cycle! Also - this is going to be a long, mentally/emotionally straining process. Your apps will likely result in a 90% plug rejection rate (average matriculated gets 3 II's, and people with 1 and 2 II's make up another large chunk. Factor that with submitting 16+ applications on average..and you see my point). There will be times of doubt, depression, anxiety. But remember, all it takes is one, and you can only control what you can control. Try to not be neurotic, be patient, don't over read into things - and just remember; if someone like me (30 years old, GPA just over 3.0, 30mcat, and started this process with a 1.something GPA) can get in, then everyone has a chance. And if the cycle goes poorly for you, don't be too hard on yourself. This is a big part luck, a numbers game, and you can always strengthen you application, and apply again. Not getting in on your first try isn't the end of the world, and believe in yourself.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Here is a question for anyone who may know now that I've got a fire lit on the LOR brain wave:
Should I get a LOR from an ER doctor in my department?
Someone once posted to me (I think it was gyngyn) that letters from coworkers are not very powerful.

But isn't a letter from a physician a good one to have? The physicians who know me best are the ones I've worked 5 years with........

Don't choose supplementary (non academic) letter writers based on their title or position. Choose them based on whether they can speak to qualities you have that medical schools want.

Check out the AAMC letter writer guidelines: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf and look at the competencies listed there. No one person can speak to all of these, so basically you want to amass of pool of letters that address as many of these different qualities (some will overlap obviously) that you can. They can be whoever, though preferably someone in a supervisory position of some kind. The quality of their letter is more important than their title.

A letter from a MD is only strictly required by a handful of MD schools (Rosalind Franklin, for example). For the rest, use an MD letter if they can write you a strong one based on those guidelines. If they can't, use someone else. Keep in mind that not all schools allow supplementary letters, and of those that do many restrict the number you can send, so you want to make sure the ones you have are strong.

Also be aware of school focus, and let that guide letter submission. You may find some letters are better suited to presenting to you as fitting the mission of X school. For example I had a LOR from my research PI that I used for schools that I knew were research-heavy. I often didn't use that one for others that didn't prioritize research, where for example my letter from the chief of my volunteer fire station would have more weight. So keep that in the back of your mind as well.

For DO you do need a LOR from a DO.

For LORs, I have a writer who wants me to pre-write it and gave me what he wants in it (how we met before I was a student, our multiple conversations after class, etc.).

Where do I start? I've honestly never written something like that and it feels just weird but apparently is common with this particular school/writer.

Throwing my name in the ring.

-Got my Bach degree a few years ago but am taking 3 more classes this summer to bump up both c and s GPAs to >3.0.
-Currently studying for MCAT and doing quite well; planning to take the test in May, maybe June at the latest
-Lots of shadowing done from various med profs
-LORs uploaded to Interfolio already
-Fine-tuning PS
-Clinical and non-clinical work and volunteering under my belt & continuing to volunteer

Hopefully I'll have enough of a compelling story and get a high enough MCAT to get accepted this cycle! If not then plan B is to do a Masters and retake MCAT if needed then reapply after that. I'll be a physician some day!
Unfortunately I am going to have to take way more classes than I originally anticipated. Because of my family situation, I'm limited on where I can apply, so I'm editing my course of action. Studying longer and taking the MCAT in July or August and hopefully coming out with a killer score, taking 2 years of more classes to get above a 3.25 for both c & s GPAs due to the nearby schools' minimum requirements, and throwing in more research, shadowing, work, and volunteering in there during these 2 years. Then finally applying in June 2019 for matriculation in 2020. It seems like FOREVER away and I'm incredibly bummed but I don't see any other options. Trying to stay excited being the tortoise and not the hare. Looking forward to seeing the outcomes for us all on here!

For LORs, I have a writer who wants me to pre-write it and gave me what he wants in it (how we met before I was a student, our multiple conversations after class, etc.).

Where do I start? I've honestly never written something like that and it feels just weird but apparently is common with this particular school/writer.
Well, if roles were reversed and he was still writing it completely alone and asked you what you wanted to be included, what would you tell him?

"Dear Ad2b,

Happy to write the letter for you! What qualities would you like me to highlight about you? Do you remember any particular interactions between the 2 of us you would like adcoms to know about that can help me speak to your character? Why med school? How has my class helped you prepare for your future? Why did you choose me as a writer? Can you send me some links on what makes a good evaluation for medical college?

Best of luck to you! I'll write your letter ASAP."

And then use that same info to pre-write the letter. This is such a great opportunity for you to highlight your qualities and make it strong.

I have seen it suggested that writers include a negative quality (but obviously not too negative) to show adcoms that 1) they truly know the student, 2) they still believe in their student despite the drawback, and 3) they believe their student can/has overcome this negative quality and is prepared for med school. By negative quality, I mean something you'd say if you were asked during an interview like "tell us a weakness". You're not going to say you procrastinate because that's just foolish and you can't spin a good side, but maybe you're very emotional and while at times that made you too overwhelmed or anxious in their class it was also helpful because it kept you honest about your passions and they can see how being emotional will also make you personally invested as a physician which is a quality any good doctor should have. Something like that, you know?

Thank you, @MrFixIt - I think he knew I was struggling to ask him; I'd only known him a full semester and was mid my 2nd one with him. My other LORs are from professors who've known me for years and know all my +/-/= ... So, one day, he sent me an email and said that I was going to apply to his school's med school and would like him to write an LOR for that one and the others, he'd be happy to do so.

Blown over with the offer. Will think about what you wrote and see what I come up with :) Thank you!

Unfortunately I am going to have to take way more classes than I originally anticipated. Because of my family situation, I'm limited on where I can apply, so I'm editing my course of action. Studying longer and taking the MCAT in July or August and hopefully coming out with a killer score, taking 2 years of more classes to get above a 3.25 for both c & s GPAs

Have you talked to that particular school about how they view post-bacc grades v. cumulative? Most schools look at both but upward trend especially through pre-reqs and beyond > older ugrad/c grades. You might be closer than you think?

Studying longer and taking the MCAT in July or August and hopefully coming out with a killer score, taking 2 years of more classes

I hope you mean mcat in July in 2 years, not now then 2 more years of classes. Most schools take mcat for 3 years - to the matriculation date not the application date - which can really mess with timelines.

Don't take the mcat until preferably months before you apply - otherwise your losing years of eligibility, and no one wants to have to go back and retake if you have to reapply because you took it too early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you, @MrFixIt - I think he knew I was struggling to ask him; I'd only known him a full semester and was mid my 2nd one with him. My other LORs are from professors who've known me for years and know all my +/-/= ... So, one day, he sent me an email and said that I was going to apply to his school's med school and would like him to write an LOR for that one and the others, he'd be happy to do so.

Blown over with the offer. Will think about what you wrote and see what I come up with :) Thank you!

Have you talked to that particular school about how they view post-bacc grades v. cumulative? Most schools look at both but upward trend especially through pre-reqs and beyond > older ugrad/c grades. You might be closer than you think?
That's the thing I can't quite understand. They said they accept graduate grades and postbacs and crrtificate programs, but that they screen out under 3.2. If my uGPA isn't above a 3.2 then won't any grad program be pointless?

I hope you mean mcat in July in 2 years, not now then 2 more years of classes. Most schools take mcat for 3 years - to the matriculation date not the application date - which can really mess with timelines.

Don't take the mcat until preferably months before you apply - otherwise your losing years of eligibility, and no one wants to have to go back and retake if you have to reapply because you took it too early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Good point--I did think it was based on application time. I'm so irritated! I'm halfway through studying and doing actually pretty well. So should I just stop studying? I'm worried I'll be so far removed from physics and chem by the time the test comes around that I'll be having to relearn it all just from the books.

@MrFixIt - here is what the adcom see (might vary slightly year to year). All courses you take now do increase your cUgrad grades but what's most important is the post-bacc ugrad if you're trying to show difference/improvement.

I think my AMCAS cGPA is like 2.0 or maybe 1.9? Not sure how it calc'd the quarters --> semesters... but my post-bacc = 3.97 all BCPM (and the 1.9/2.0 is from 1986 or so).

Also, graduate programs carry little weight (SMP is different as that's more like a pre-med school curriculum anyway).

All courses now into the post-bacc bucket + MCAT score = throw the dice... no need to wait 2 years unless you really want to.

Attachments

• GPA AMCAS.jpg
    GPA AMCAS.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 112
@Eccesignum Thank you so much for that link! I couldn't find the PDF although I found a link that didn't work. Maybe it was during the time they were restructuring their site. That is wonderful thank you!

Also thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I'm not familiar with how AMCAS works. Can I collect letters there and then just check the boxes next to which letters to send to which schools??

I.e. I'm securing two letters from science professors because many schools require that, although one of the letters is from a professor who knows me less well, so I won't include it unless I'm applying to a school that requires two from science professors. Is that possible?

@MrFixIt - here is what the adcom see (might vary slightly year to year). All courses you take now do increase your cUgrad grades but what's most important is the post-bacc ugrad if you're trying to show difference/improvement.

I think my AMCAS cGPA is like 2.0 or maybe 1.9? Not sure how it calc'd the quarters --> semesters... but my post-bacc = 3.97 all BCPM (and the 1.9/2.0 is from 1986 or so).

Also, graduate programs carry little weight (SMP is different as that's more like a pre-med school curriculum anyway).

All courses now into the post-bacc bucket + MCAT score = throw the dice... no need to wait 2 years unless you really want to.
I see what you're saying. I called one of my schools and they said they only weigh the last 120 hours which saves me a little grief. But I still need to meet the cutoff either way.

@Eccesignum Thank you so much for that link! I couldn't find the PDF although I found a link that didn't work. Maybe it was during the time they were restructuring their site. That is wonderful thank you!

Also thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I'm not familiar with how AMCAS works. Can I collect letters there and then just check the boxes next to which letters to send to which schools??

I.e. I'm securing two letters from science professors because many schools require that, although one of the letters is from a professor who knows me less well, so I won't include it unless I'm applying to a school that requires two from science professors. Is that possible?

Yes you can use AMCAS for storage. Your letter writers can either upload directly to AMCAS, upload to Interfolio and you forward them on to AMCAS, use VirtualEval (I'm not familiar with this one but they do allow it), or send to AMCAS in regular snail mail. Whatever you choose, you'll see a list of letters in your AMCAS profile and for each school you'll be asked what letters you want sent to that school. Here's more info about that process: https://students-residents.aamc.org...letter-service-advisors-and-other-letter-aut/

Keep in mind they won't be kept any longer than the cycle, so if you want to have a preserved copy or if you're also applying AACOMAS and need a central place to keep them, I'd suggest using Interfolio as your storage base.

If anyone needs a PS reader, PM me. I used to work in the communications (though I admit grammar editing is not my forte) and had a very successful cycle this time around. I can go over both flow and content if someone wants, and I'd rather do it for a fellow non-trad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I just scheduled for April 28 too and I am also an RN work full time let us be buddies.