This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are some of the programs I've considered. I picked them based on how strong I perceived their linkage to be. From what I've gathered, VCOM's Graduate Certificate Program and LECOM's Master in Medical Science Program seem to offer the strongest linkage, followed by Touro and BCOM.

1.) LECOM Master in Medical Science
2.) LECOM Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Program
3.) BCOM Foundations in Biomedical Sciences Program
4.) KCU College of Biosciences Master of Science of Biomedical Sciences
5.) Touro Master of Science in Medical Health Science (Available at the Middleton, Harlem, California, and Nevada Campuses, linkages vary by campus)
6.) Western University Master of Science in Medical Sciences
7.) MUCOM Master of Science in Biomedical Science
8.) Lincoln Memorial University Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine Master of Science in Biomedical Professions (Not sure if they still offer the guaranteed interview)

Additional programs can be found in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (2017) pages 16-18
BCOM is very new and I read not many linked, and because it's so new it doesn't have any name recognition if you apply to other schools (which most have to)
The Touro programs vary wildly and honestly I wouldn't recommend them. California just quadrupled it's class size and so far very few have gotten in. At Middleton/Harlem the tests are graded on a curve so you can get a 93 and still technically get a B+.
LECOM is HARRRRRRRRRRRRRD. Yeah none of em are easy but it's insane.
You didn't include NOVA. Linkage is unofficial but it's actually quite strong.

Members don't see this ad.

BCOM is very new and I read not many linked, and because it's so new it doesn't have any name recognition if you apply to other schools (which most have to)
The Touro programs vary wildly and honestly I wouldn't recommend them. California just quadrupled it's class size and so far very few have gotten in. At Middleton/Harlem the tests are graded on a curve so you can get a 93 and still technically get a B+.

BCOM i think has a direct linkage to their DO program right? What does NOVA offer?

BCOM i think has a direct linkage to their DO program right? What does NOVA offer?
You still have to meet criteria for BCOM which not many seem to do. For NOVA maintain a GPA above a 3.0 with no C's and you'll get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
How HARD is LECOM?

So Alisa told me my app should be under review next week, and hopefully a decision by the week after.

In case anyone wanted a reference, I was up for processing and GPA calculations at the end of January

She said the same thing to my email yesterday and I was Feb 16th. Now I don't know if my email was just like script reply or tailored to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got accepted into TUN MHS program, and I have 2 weeks to accept or decline, but VCOM is my top preference, so I'm not sure what to do. Such a frustrating situation. I e-mailed Ms. Hewitt, but it seems like it will definitely be longer than2 weeks to find out about VCOM.

I got accepted into TUN MHS program, and I have 2 weeks to accept or decline, but VCOM is my top preference, so I'm not sure what to do. Such a frustrating situation. I e-mailed Ms. Hewitt, but it seems like it will definitely be longer than2 weeks to find out about VCOM.

You'll probably need to put the deposit down for TUN. How much are you losing in a deposit?

You'll probably need to put the deposit down for TUN. How much are you losing in a deposit?
Yes! It's 500$ , a bit steep. But I'm afraid if I wait it out and lose my spot there, and don't get into VCOM, I'll be back to square one.

Yes! It's 500$ , a bit steep. But I'm afraid if I wait it out and lose my spot there, and don't get into VCOM, I'll be back to square one.

Ouch. The only thing you can do is wait until the deadline and put a deposit down then if you haven't heard from VCOM. It's pretty common practice for applying to medical schools as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Like kelminak said, i'd pay the 500 and if you lose it cuz you got accepted to vcom then its alright. youll get it back eventually knowing that vcom admits straight into their DO program. I dont think TUN does, do they?

Like kelminak said, i'd pay the 500 and if you lose it cuz you got accepted to vcom then its alright. youll get it back eventually knowing that vcom admits straight into their DO program. I dont think TUN does, do they?

Nope, it's a guaranteed interview, but even then they don't take all of their students. VCOM is significantly better, but I would take TUN's opportunity over nothing without question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, it's a guaranteed interview, but even then they don't take all of their students. VCOM is significantly better, but I would take TUN's opportunity over nothing without question.

Yeah I justified it cause if I get into VCOM it's significantly cheaper as well. So I lose $500 but save $6k. Touro is 22k, vcom is 16k.

Yeah I justified it cause if I get into VCOM it's significantly cheaper as well. So I lose $500 but save $6k. Touro is 22k, vcom is 16k.
Yeah not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure touro does have a guaranteed admission to their DO class as well now, if you meet the benchmark. When I spoke to Charles, that's what he told me. But it definitely is more expensive.

I'm with you -- I gotta put down a $500 deposit on LMU since I'm not 100% sure I'll here back from VCOM within the next two weeks lol

I'm with you -- I gotta put down a $500 deposit on LMU since I'm not 100% sure I'll here back from VCOM within the next two weeks lol
I applied to LMU as well, but haven't heard back. Which program are you possibly going for, AS or BS?

Biomedical professions!
Me too! I applied the Friday before their spring break, so they told me it wouldn't get looked at until at least 4/3. How long did it take for you to hear back? Also how long do you have to put down a deposit if accepted? LMU is my 2nd choice though, I really want to go to VCOM!

it took me about a week and a half to hear back! Idk if there's an official deadline, but you should put it in within a couple weeks. Also you should call the admissions to double check regarding the deposit!

Yeah not a bad idea. I'm pretty sure touro does have a guaranteed admission to their DO class as well now, if you meet the benchmark. When I spoke to Charles, that's what he told me. But it definitely is more expensive.

Really? They have a guaranteed interview, but it's not a guarantee matriculation which is what I hear from current students. NV and NY are a bit different if I recall, but CA increased there class size from 15 to 60. When they had 15 pretty much everyone got accepted who interviewed (95% of the class), but now they're telling students they can't accept all 60. It's essentially, top 15 out of 60 matriculate to the school.

That's my biggest concern with touro honestly. Did you hear from TouroCA, and what was there agreement? An interview is 3.25 if I recall, but that's not a guarantee anymore :|

Really? They have a guaranteed interview, but it's not a guarantee matriculation which is what I hear from current students. NV and NY are a bit different if I recall, but CA increased there class size from 15 to 60. When they had 15 pretty much everyone got accepted who interviewed (95% of the class), but now they're telling students they can't accept all 60. It's essentially, top 15 out of 60 matriculate to the school.

That's my biggest concern with touro honestly. Did you hear from TouroCA, and what was there agreement? An interview is 3.25 if I recall, but that's not a guarantee anymore :|

Some of the programs say it's a guaranteed interview but it's basically a failsafe against students who are dinguses and shouldn't be in medicine. Beyond that it's effectively a guaranteed acceptance. I hadn't heard of the touro CA issues though.

Some of the programs say it's a guaranteed interview but it's basically a failsafe against students who are dinguses and shouldn't be in medicine. Beyond that it's effectively a guaranteed acceptance. I hadn't heard of the touro CA issues though.
So you're saying that the school chooses the post bacc students as a priority over the applicants that apply directly straight from undergrad?

So you're saying that the school chooses the post bacc students as a priority over the applicants that apply directly straight from undergrad?

Yes, pretty much. I know for the Heritage MAMS the people that meet the average that the med students are meeting and don't completely bomb the interview get in almost guaranteed barring some sort of unprofessionalism.

Yeah, that's typically the case. But for our case its not as true because they literally told students they can't accept all 60 of them. So we just assume they will accept anywhere between 10 to 20 (close to the 15 they always accepted). Meaning the top third of the class will probably matriculate. But the current touro students don't know what's up either.

Hello, I apologized if this question has already been answered, but is there a way to transfer my AACOMAS application directly to this program for admission? I have not applied yet, and feel pressed on time since the deadline is on the 15th.

Thank you! :)

Hello, I apologized if this question has already been answered, but is there a way to transfer my AACOMAS application directly to this program for admission? I have not applied yet, and feel pressed on time since the deadline is on the 15th.

Thank you! :)
I was told that once I had been clearly denied for the DO program then I could request my application to be transferred over. I haven't yet because I haven't been denied. She said that if you applied to the DO program the deadline didn't apply, they used the date that you applied to DO for your date.

Ah, I see. Do you know if we still have to pay the $27 application fee if our AACOMAS gets transferred to the certification program?

Thank you for your response!

Ah, I see. Do you know if we still have to pay the $27 application fee if our AACOMAS gets transferred to the certification program?

Not sure about the $27....this is the exact response I received:

"Thank you for your email and interest in our program. Currently, we are not able to review applicants who are in an active admissions status with the VCOM DO program. So, with your application under consideration for the VCOM DO program, that process will need to resolve first, and then, if you find that you are not offered an interview, or, following an interview are not offered a seat in the program, you can contact me and we can transfer your materials over to our program for review and consideration for admission.

You would not need to submit a separate application to our program because you already have a completed application with the VCOM DO admissions office. So, once you hear back on your status you can just let me know and we can then take action on our side.

Our process and timeline for admission is different from the DO Program and our class does not fill at the same rate or on the same schedule, so we’ll be continuing to accept students long after the DO Program has filled. Because you will also have a completed application already on file with the DO program, our published application deadline for our program is not an issue because your documents will already be available.

So, for now just continue to follow up with the DO program and then let me know if you find you won’t be moving forward and we’ll go from there. "

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info! I finished AACOMAS in July 2016, and did my secondaries in October 2016, and wasn't offered an interview at any of the campuses. I guess I'll call Alisa Hewitt tomorrow to transfer my AACOMAS application over to the certification Program.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You should not have to pay another application fee. The secondary should suffice

Has anyone heard back recently? I emailed for an update and she didn't reply so I guess they are busy this week...

Has anyone heard back recently? I emailed for an update and she didn't reply so I guess they are busy this week...

Yeah I asked for an update and she said I'll probably hear back in 1-2 weeks. I applied end of Jan.

Hey guys!

I got my acceptance today! I had my application transferred over around end of February/early March.

I actually kept in touch with Ms. Hewitt via email about my file.
My file was in line for processing in mid-March. I emailed her last week asking if she could update me about my status because I had to submit my deposit for another program. She informed me that my file is currently under review by the admissions committee and she'd have the final decision in a few days. She said she would let me know as soon as she got the final decision.
I feel like she's really helpful as long as you don't sound demanding. I usually got a reply within two days.

My cgpa and sgpa are both 3.53. My MCAT kind of sucks, so I'm not going to mention it.
I'm from Texas (if anyone is wondering).

I hope this was helpful to those of you waiting. GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys!

I got my acceptance today! I had my application transferred over around end of February/early March.

My file was in line for processing in mid-March. I emailed her last week asking if she could update me about my status because I had to submit my deposit for another program. She informed me that my file is currently under review by the admissions committee and she'd have the final decision in a few days. She said she would let me know as soon as she got the final decision.
I feel like she's really helpful as long as you don't sound demanding. I usually got a reply within two days.

My cgpa and sgpa are both 3.53. My MCAT kind of sucks, so I'm not going to mention it.

Congrats!! Time to furiously spam refresh on my inbox again...

Hey guys!

Congrats!!

It seems they are looking at DO to postbac transfers first. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave them priority (I mean it makes sense).

Congrats! I applied first week of march so my turn should be coming up!

I just got an update email saying that my file will be sent to the admissions committee for review by the end of the week but they do not know how long it will take after that. Applied mid-Feb o_O

It seems they are looking at DO to postbac transfers first. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave them priority (I mean it makes sense).

I don't think it makes sense at all to be honest. Getting rejected from a program shouldn't give you priority for another one over someone who applied directly. It just seems to streamline the process for them. They're welcome to run their program as they please obviously. I don't think there's a shortage of seats left yet so it's not too big of a concern.

Lol I even applied to the DO program but didn't think it made a difference if I applied separately instead of transferring my app...really hope that doesn't bite me in the ass

Hey guys!

what was your MCAT?

Congrats!! Time to furiously spam refresh on my inbox again...

Thank you. I have been refreshing this forum and my email non-stop for the past 3 months. I feel your pain!! I hope you get your acceptance soon.

Congrats!!
Thanks!

Congrats! I applied first week of march so my turn should be coming up!

Thanks!! I honestly think the transfers are only getting their decisions sooner than the others because they already have their gpa and other materials already processed.

I don't think it makes sense at all to be honest. Getting rejected from a program shouldn't give you priority for another one over someone who applied directly. It just seems to streamline the process for them. They're welcome to run their program as they please obviously. I don't think there's a shortage of seats left yet so it's not too big of a concern.

I actually withdrew my application and had it transferred. I never heard back from VCOM after my secondary application and I was done waiting. I have already been waitlisted to a few other schools, so I kind of figured I was not going to get in.

I applied at the beginning of March. I hope it doesn't mean I'll hear back in June... :confused:
Thats probably not far off... The email said that the review committee has multiple people which probs makes the process longer.

Hey guys!

Congrats! I recently had my application transferred from the DO program. However, I received an email from the admissions director stating that in her opinion I should save my money and not do this program because my grades were fine, just my MCAT was on the low side. Did you happen to get anything like that? (sgpa 3.56, cgpa 3.69, low MCAT but did get some DO interviews this season. Lots of clinical experience and shadowing). I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this since our stats are similar.

Congrats! I recently had my application transferred from the DO program. However, I received an email from the admissions director stating that in her opinion I should save my money and not do this program because my grades were fine, just my MCAT was on the low side. Did you happen to get anything like that? (sgpa 3.56, cgpa 3.69, low MCAT but did get some DO interviews this season. Lots of clinical experience and shadowing). I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this since our stats are similar.

I would agree with the director. Your grades are perfectly fine and people have gotten into DO with much less. You would save a tremendous amount of money just retaking the MCAT after spending a few month studying instead of going through this program.

What was your mcat and do you think you can raise it before (or during) the cycle open tis summer?? I agree but would hate to basically throw away an acceptance since you are a strong student

What was your mcat and do you think you can raise it before (or during) the cycle open tis summer?? I agree but would hate to basically throw away an acceptance since you are a strong student
My MCAT was pretty low...let's just say in the 490's. I have plans to retake in June, but I may move it because I am not sure if I can still get a 500+. I am gonna see what the next couple of practice tests show before I decide if I am going to move the date. I have applied here and LMU. I also am waitlisted at a DO school. I'm really torn on what to do. I don't want to spend the $$ for nothing, but I've also heard that if you do well in a program like this, then the ADCOMs will look more favorable at a lower MCAT, so that would open my option back up if I didn't get in VCOM next year. Another plus I've heard is that this keeps you in the student frame of mind and actually makes 1st year of med school a little easier.