This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha. I would have figured at least TCOM would have been in reach. It just feels like with at least a DO cycle they could have got in somewhere without the post bacc. Maybe not a Texas school but somewhere if applying wisely.

Members don't see this ad.

Gotcha. I would have figured at least TCOM would have been in reach. It just feels like with at least a DO cycle they could have got in somewhere without the post bacc. Maybe not a Texas school but somewhere if applying wisely.
I definitely agree. With an MCAT score of somewhere around 500 they could have received a handful of interview invites at the least. But different strokes for different folks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be annoying or neurotic, but I just realized --- I did apply to the DO program back in like august, and I never heard back after secondaries so I assumed it was a silent rejection. But when I applied to the post bacc, I never officially transferred my DO app to the post bacc. I completely forgot you could do that. I just applied to the post bacc separately...

Should I call and let them know they could transfer my DO app if its easier/quicker for them or would a call from me just bothering them?
They said my app was being sent in for processing and GPA calculation at the end of January so idk if its too late for that now

Not to be annoying or neurotic, but I just realized --- I did apply to the DO program back in like august, and I never heard back after secondaries so I assumed it was a silent rejection. But when I applied to the post bacc, I never officially transferred my DO app to the post bacc. I completely forgot you could do that. I just applied to the post bacc separately...

Should I call and let them know they could transfer my DO app if its easier/quicker for them or would a call from me just bothering them?
They said my app was being sent in for processing and GPA calculation at the end of January so idk if its too late for that now

If you haven't bothered them a bunch already, it wouldn't hurt to let them know as it clearly speeds up the process for them based on other people who were accepted really quickly after transferring it.

Reactions: 1 user
is alisa hewitt on the admissions comittee. when she answers my email she answers with some level of authority does she just process the application or does she make decisions on the suitability to the program as well

i emailed her about processing time and she said the 4- 8 weeks is just an estimate but they are working as fast as possible to process files and have them reviewed by the admissions committeee

1. They do not support MacBooks if ExamSoft decides to take a crap on you during an exam- They will not give you a paper exam or a loner, you'll fail. With that being said, it's proceed at your own risk. Many people use Macs, I've never seen any one have issues. I bought a PC for piece of mind.
2. 5 questions per lecture hour, vary in size by the amount of lectures per exam, as state earlier in this thread. Usually 8-10 lectures (chapters) per exam. All computer based.
3. This is completely subjective and depends on your own personal likes/weaknesses. I hate certain topics in physiology (which made them difficult), loved all of Biochem (made it easy for me). Depends on you.
4. Much faster paced then undergrad. I used to pre-read chapters in the book before O-Chem or Biochem. We go through 4 chapters in 1 day, 20 chapters a week. Reading goes right out the window.

Best.
Since they do not support Mac products, do you think a Surface will be a good substitute? I have one from grad school that I use to write on powerpoints. But I know it isn't a "real computer" so has anyone in the program used a tablet/surface for exams?

Since they do not support Mac products, do you think a Surface will be a good substitute? I have one from grad school that I use to write on powerpoints. But I know it isn't a "real computer" so has anyone in the program used a tablet/surface for exams?

Do you have a plug-in keyboard for it? That'd be something I'd be sure to have if I tried to pull that off. You don't want to be stuck typing on a touch screen.

Do you have a plug-in keyboard for it? That'd be something I'd be sure to have if I tried to pull that off. You don't want to be stuck typing on a touch screen.
I have the keyboard with the trackpad on it and I also have a mouse I plug in sometimes. I was just worried about the software working on it... Though it is all hypothetical since I am still waiting to hear back

I have the keyboard with the trackpad on it and I also have a mouse I plug in sometimes. I was just worried about the software working on it... Though it is all hypothetical since I am still waiting to hear back

The surface runs Windows all the same, so there shouldn't be any issues with it assuming you have reliable input devices.

Why did you not just take the MCAT and apply to schools with those stats? You have like 5 med schools in your state alone and use a unique application portal which puts the odds in your favor as well.? Not that I'm unhappy for you of course, but you could probably save a chunk of money just applying directly if you knock your MCAT out of the park.

You make a valid argument, one which I have thought about. I will be applying to TX schools when I apply this upcoming cycle but honestly I suck at standardized tests and am not too hopeful on acing the MCAT. I wanted to do a postbacc program before med school just to prepare for med school because it's been a while since I graduated from undergrad. TX has a couple of new MD and DO schools opening up but then it's like do you go to a new program that will be using you as guinea pigs or a more established program? TCOM's average MCAT is higher than a 507. VCOM's postbacc is just my safety net and something that will hopefully be securing a spot so I don't waste time having to re-apply (if I don't get in the first time). I appreciate your input though. :)

I know a lot of in-state Texans that went to out of state DO schools because they didn't get into TCOM. Also, I forgot to mention I believe there are 9 total medical schools in TX and this upcoming cycle I believe there will be about 12. Some of them are extremely competitive - ex. UTSW which is research heavy. There are a lot of factors that go into getting an interview but you are right in that schools here prefer like 90% (I think) in-state residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
The surface runs Windows all the same, so there shouldn't be any issues with it assuming you have reliable input devices.
Thanks! I was just worried because everyone has that stigma toward tablets. But it helped me pass biochem by writing on all the powerpoints and you can search for a particular word and it reads your handwriting!

I know a lot of in-state Texans that went to out of state DO schools because they didn't get into TCOM. Also, I forgot to mention I believe there are 9 total medical schools in TX and this upcoming cycle I believe there will be about 12. Some of them are extremely competitive - ex. UTSW which is research heavy. There are a lot of factors that go into getting an interview but you are right in that schools here prefer like 90% (I think) in-state residents.

disregard, idk how to delete

so once youre complete how long do you gusy wait for a decision

so once youre complete how long do you gusy wait for a decision
So far the people getting decisions were complete in January. I would guess people who submitted in February will hear this month or early May...

I haven't heard anything either. But I was reading the old forums, and some people had their application done by April 6th and heard back about 1.5 months later and got accepted. So there's hope for us all, hang in there guys!!

I have applied early February and haven't heard back yet. I hope they reply soon!

Don't mean to sound creepy in any way for doing too much research, but according to this year's Facebook group, there's 22 members so far... If that means anything :nailbiting:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/271688256619648?view=info&ref=bookmarks
Don't mean to sound creepy in any way for doing too much research, but according to this year's Facebook group, there's 22 members so far... If that means anything :nailbiting:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/271688256619648?view=info&ref=bookmarks

Don't worry about the numbers one of the members in there is me and I haven't got accepted or interviewed yet. I assume other people might joined this FB page before getting in

do you guys know about anybody that got rejected???

Got my acceptance email on Friday, I'm super excited! If anyone is looking for a roommate let me know!

Congrats! I'm looking for a roommate too. I started online apt searching but I read on the fb group that most of the nice/convenient places already have waitlists.

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm looking for a roommate too. I started online apt searching but I read on the fb group that most of the nice/convenient places already have waitlists.

@Futuredoc157 was finalizing a some apartment and looking for roommates earlier in this thread as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Considering they take 100, I wouldn't sweat it.

I dont think 22 is official either. Its probably more because not everyone that got accepted are on this forum or in that facebook group. So its probably more like 50 by this point

Let's gooooooooooo VCOM don't push me to week 10 please....

So Alisa told me my app should be under review next week, and hopefully a decision by the week after.

In case anyone wanted a reference, I was up for processing and GPA calculations at the end of January

So Alisa told me my app should be under review next week, and hopefully a decision by the week after.

In case anyone wanted a reference, I was up for processing and GPA calculations at the end of January

they're like insanely slow. every where else they're faster

they're like insanely slow. every where else they're faster
To be fair, they're a pretty popular post-bacc program so they have a lot of applications. Just gotta be patient!

To be fair, they're a pretty popular post-bacc program so they have a lot of applications. Just gotta be patient!

oh okay you mean more popular then lecom and lmu dcom. they said 400 applications for 100 seats

I cant be patient. this is like my first choice program but i dont wanna come off desperate either

I would recommend applying to LMU's post bacc if you need a second option!

What other schools did you guys apply to, or only VCOM?

Here are some of the programs I've considered. I picked them based on how strong I perceived their linkage to be. From what I've gathered, VCOM's Graduate Certificate Program and LECOM's Master in Medical Science Program seem to offer the strongest linkage, followed by Touro and BCOM.

1.) LECOM Master in Medical Science
2.) LECOM Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Program
3.) BCOM Foundations in Biomedical Sciences Program
4.) KCU College of Biosciences Master of Science of Biomedical Sciences
5.) Touro Master of Science in Medical Health Science (Available at the Middleton, Harlem, California, and Nevada Campuses, linkages vary by campus)
6.) Western University Master of Science in Medical Sciences
7.) MUCOM Master of Science in Biomedical Science
8.) Lincoln Memorial University Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine Master of Science in Biomedical Professions (Not sure if they still offer the guaranteed interview)

Additional programs can be found in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (2017) pages 16-18