2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good questions! I'm wondering this as well! I didn't receive anything yet.
I'm a current PHAP and will let you know how it happened last year...
In reference to the questions about hearing if you don't make, that is a no. You will simply cease to get any information, that includes after the personal statement and interview.
As for another round of emails about going on to 2nd phase, I believe that it happened that way last year. Also people may find out about moving on to interviews at different times as well, and for final selection that went out in waves all the way through August.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you all applying to other than PHAP?

Hi everyone!

I just got the email about going on to the second phase so I'm really excited right now (also excited to find this forum...I didn't know it existed)! I never really expected to hear back so also kind of shocked; I was wondering if I could just get a feel of who else is applying? Like different degrees or experiences? Just want to get a feel of who else is applying because I feel like I'm coming from a non-traditional path.

For reference, I'm an undergraduate senior graduating in May with degrees in Microbiology and Genomics and Molecular Genetics and I've interned at my state health department and have been working at an epidemiology research lab on campus.

:)
Ill be done with my Master of Public Health (Environmental & Occupational Health) and currently applying for a PhD in Computational & Data-Enabled Science and Engineering (Computational Public Health) just in case i don't make it. Im excited to make it to the 2nd group and glad for you too!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was very surprised to receive an email today about moving onto the next phase in PHAP. To be honest, I applied on a whim, unsure of what the program even entails, and after not hearing back, I just assumed I wasn't qualified. After graduating with a BA in psychology, I've had next to no idea what to do with my life and just spent several months applying to anything and everything. Don't get me wrong! I'm really pleased to have a chance to move on, and while I don't have much (or rather, any) background in public health, as long as I'm helping people, I'm happy doing many different things. All that being said, after doing some research and reading through the 2016 PHAP thread, I still have no idea what the life and work of someone in PHAP involves.

Can anyone point me towards resources that'll tell me more about the specifics? Some questions that came to mind: what is the balance between training and work like? What sort of role will I play? What tasks can I expect to do? What would the day-to-day schedule roughly look like?

If you haven't already, search the website. There are some stories from former associates. Also, read through the many PHAP threads. There are some questions that may remain unanswered, such as, "What's the training/work balance?" But you can always ask any unanswered questions at the interview phase.

I got my email on Thursday evening! It was pretty late (6pm central time) so I spent all day worrying that I didn't make it to the next round :hungover:
I am a senior undergrad studying anthropology with a few health- and science-related minors. Experience-wise I worked in a molecular biology lab studying a neglected tropical disease last year; and am currently working as a campus health educator, volunteering at a local STD clinic, and doing individual research in historical health demography!

Has anyone received via email or via the online portal access to the personal statement phase yet?

Has anybody been told that they were not recommended, or had their status updated on usajobs to not recommended? I haven't heard a word, but my status on USAjobs is just "received". You would think that when they're done with your application they'd at least update the status, for their own sake.

I'm glad to have found this board early in this process.
Good luck to everyone who's submitted personal statements, tomorrow is the deadline.

Has anybody been told that they were not recommended, or had their status updated on usajobs to not recommended? I haven't heard a word, but my status on USAjobs is just "received". You would think that when they're done with your application they'd at least update the status, for their own sake.

Mine says the same thing and I haven't heard anything either.

Mine says the same thing and I haven't heard anything either.
If anyone is wondering: if you weren't selected, then you won't receive anything. They'll just stop contacting you. This has been discussed previously on this forum and on the 2016 PHAP forum. It's a bizarre way of communicating, but it is what it is, I guess. Sorry to anyone who didn't receive a notification.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got an email last week from [email protected] that said I made it to the second round for PHAP, I completed my personal statement and submitted everything and then got an email tonight from USAjobs referencing my application to PHAPthat said:

"your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria for referral. Therefore your application package was not reviewed and your name was not referred to the selecting official for consideration. Thank you for your interest in Federal employment. You are encouraged to visit www.usajobs.gov to view additional Federal employment opportunities and information."

Does this mean I actually didn't make it to the second round?? I should meet all the eligibility requiremtns, I graduated a year ago, and I already filled out all my information and submitted my personal statement and I'd hate to think I wasted all that time for nothing if I didn't actually get in? Did this happen to anyone else?

So I got an email last week from [email protected] that said I made it to the second round for PHAP, I completed my personal statement and submitted everything and then got an email tonight from USAjobs referencing my application to PHAPthat said:

"your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria for referral. Therefore your application package was not reviewed and your name was not referred to the selecting official for consideration. Thank you for your interest in Federal employment. You are encouraged to visit www.usajobs.gov to view additional Federal employment opportunities and information."

Does this mean I actually didn't make it to the second round?? I should meet all the eligibility requiremtns, I graduated a year ago, and I already filled out all my information and submitted my personal statement and I'd hate to think I wasted all that time for nothing if I didn't actually get in? Did this happen to anyone else?

This actually happened to me as well and I am very confused right now. Not sure if the email was sent in error or what.

This actually happened to me as well and I am very confused right now. Not sure if the email was sent in error or what.

The same thing happened to me, ironically enough as I was working on my personal statement. I believe my eligibility should also check out, and I'd assume it was reviewed before we got the email about moving to the next round? Hoping the email is an error but I'm unsure.

YES just happened to me the very minute I submitted my PHAP application. Very relieved to see your posts on here!! Must be some sort of glitch?

Reactions: 1 users
Same thing happened to me. Hoping it was an error but I sent an email to the PHAP email just in case to clarify. I'd trust the email received from PHAP moreso than USAJobs, but who knows

Same thing happened to me. Hoping it was an error but I sent an email to the PHAP email just in case to clarify. I'd trust the email received from PHAP moreso than USAJobs, but who knows
Same thing happened to me! I'm hoping it's a glitch.

With just about 30minutes left to make submissions for Phase 2, I just wanted to wish everyone good luck! It will be another long month of waiting.

For those not selected for the 2017 class, I wish you good luck with your next steps also.

Interesting... This hasn't happened to me. Mine still says "received".
I also received this email, but unfortunately I did not receive an invitation for the personal statement. I hope this is a glitch for everyone who has moved to phase two. Congratulations to you all!! :)

I called PHAP this morning and they said they are investigating the cause of the e-mail. It seems that they are unsure who received it and who didn't, so if you received one send an email to [email protected] and they said they will get back to you!

I called PHAP this morning and they said they are investigating the cause of the e-mail. It seems that they are unsure who received it and who didn't, so if you received one send an email to [email protected] and they said they will get back to you!
Thanks so much! I was concerned when I got the email but had already submitted my phase 2 application. Good to know I am not the only one who received this email last night! Good luck as we move into the next stages of the application!

Hi,

I submitted my personal statement a day back as I received an email from “ CDC PHAP” that I got selected for the 2nd round. However, yesterday I received an email from “[email protected]” saying that “Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria”. I remember there was a glitch when I was filling the “occupational questionnaire” , as I couldn’t access the instructions properly for the questionnaire as the coding was bugged.

Is anyone facing the same situation? I plan to email CDC PHAP to let them know the issue that I encountered during filling of application? Any other suggestions please?

I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks so much! I was concerned when I got the email but had already submitted my phase 2 application. Good to know I am not the only one who received this email last night! Good luck as we move into the next stages of the application!

Looks like you got the same email as me. Did the email mention "Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria"?

Thanks and Good luck to all!

Looks like you got the same email as me. Did the email mention "Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria"?

I went ahead and emailed [email protected] they will get back to you ASAP. I emailed and they said someone is looking into it in the mean time. I'd recommend you do the same.

Anyone else receive another confusing email around 4:30ET today?

Anyone else receive another confusing email around 4:30ET today?
I received an e-mail from [email protected] around the same time with information on my application! I turned in my personal statement/information for Phase II earlier this week, and noticed that some individuals received confusing e-mails right before/after they turned in their information. I never received an e-mail last night, but did receive one just now.

The e-mail I just received said that I was "not referred" for one section, and "referred" in another. After reading past forums, it seems that it can be a tad bit confusing, but I believe the "not referred" is due to my lack of veterans preference. For anyone who received a confusing e-mail, I think as long as you received an e-mail around March 1 from the PHAP team with a link to complete the second phase, you're okay. As long as your USAjobs profile says referred, you moved on!

I received an e-mail from [email protected] around the same time with information on my application! I turned in my personal statement/information for Phase II earlier this week, and noticed that some individuals received confusing e-mails right before/after they turned in their information. I never received an e-mail last night, but did receive one just now.

The e-mail I just received said that I was "not referred" for one section, and "referred" in another. After reading past forums, it seems that it can be a tad bit confusing, but I believe the "not referred" is due to my lack of veterans preference. For anyone who received a confusing e-mail, I think as long as you received an e-mail around March 1 from the PHAP team with a link to complete the second phase, you're okay. As long as your USAjobs profile says referred, you moved on!

WOW, this is super confusing. I received an email just after 5pm today from the same email address that you mentioned. It appears that there are three different pieces of information. First a rating category: mine is EL (eligible for this specialty and grade). Next is the first status: mine is NR (Not referred-responses to assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria). Lastly, is another status: mine is R (Referred-application received and name referred to selecting officials). Was your email similar to this? My status on USA Jobs also has "Referred", and I was invited to submit a personal statement for Phase II. I really think that the USA Jobs system is auto generating these emails without a PHAP official prompting it to.

I hope you are right because I received the exact same thing! In the first section it says my rating was EL for eligible and below it the status says NR for not referred, but then below that it says the status is R for referred. Kind of gave me a panic attack. still having one.

WOW, this is super confusing. I received an email just after 5pm today from the same email address that you mentioned. It appears that there are three different pieces of information. First a rating category: mine is EL (eligible for this specialty and grade). Next is the first status: mine is NR (Not referred-responses to assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria). Lastly, is another status: mine is R (Referred-application received and name referred to selecting officials). Was your email similar to this? My status on USA Jobs also has "Referred", and I was invited to submit a personal statement for Phase II. I really think that the USA Jobs system is auto generating these emails without a PHAP official prompting it to.
Yes, that's what my e-mail said as well! I read the previous forums and it looks like they encountered similar, confusing e-mails from the system too.

Yes, that's what my e-mail said as well! I read the previous forums and it looks like they encountered similar, confusing e-mails from the system too.

I forwarded the email to the PHAP email address someone else posted. I really think we will be okay, but I'd hate to be penalized for a system glitch too. Good luck to you!

I forwarded the email to the PHAP email address someone else posted. I really think we will be okay, but I'd hate to be penalized for a system glitch too. Good luck to you!
Definitely agree. I don't want my application to be discarded because of system error. Let me know what they said if you get a response. Good luck to you too!

Hi all,

The new email you received today probably looks something like this:

Position Title: Public Health Advisor-CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates

Vacancy ID: 1874210

Announcement: HHS-CDC-RG-17-1874210

Pay Plan: GS

Series/Grade:

0685-05

Hiring Office: OSTLTS OD

Spec Code: 001

Spec Title: Public Health Advisor

Grade: 05

Rating: EL

-----------------------------------------------------------

Referral Type: Open to all qualified candidates

Referral Name: AJV-17-DLu-19946S0

Vet Pref:

Locations:

Location Negotiable After Sele

Referral Name: AJV-17-DLu-19952S0

Vet Pref: NV (Clm)

Locations:

This is the same email we 2016 PHAPs received last year that confused us all. That status that says NR for the first is for veteran's preference, which was very few of us. The second one that says R is the referral for the actual position. So congratulations!!! You made it past the most stressful part. The interviews aren't bad, but the wait after is trying. I didn't find out till July 22nd that I got accepted. Keep going strong!

Yes! I got that email yesterday, emailed phap today, and then got the second email with the referral status today that others have gotten.

Hi all,

Position Title: Public Health Advisor-CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates

Series/Grade:

0685-05

Vet Pref:

Locations:

Locations:

This is the same email we 2016 PHAPs received last year that confused us all. That status that says NR for the first is for veteran's preference, which was very few of us. The second one that says R is the referral for the actual position. So congratulations!!! You made it past the most stressful part. The interviews aren't bad, but the wait after is trying. I didn't find out till July 22nd that I got accepted. Keep going strong!

So I received this email and then an update on my application status at USAJOBS. It now says I'm referred. So does that mean I'm on to the interview process?

So I received this email and then an update on my application status at USAJOBS. It now says I'm referred. So does that mean I'm on to the interview process?
I believe it's just USAjobs updating our status to show that we moved on to the second phase. We don't find out if we got an interview until April according to the timeline. That's how I interpreted the e-mail at least.

Hi all,

Series/Grade:

0685-05

Vet Pref:

Locations:

Locations:

Thank you for trying to reassure us!

Yesterday my USAJobs status was Referred...today it is Received. Email response from PHAP was letting me know that someone will respond appropriately. My confusion had settled down, but now, im nervous.

Congrats to everyone! Waiting for Phase III in April is making me so anxious.

Where are people hoping for their 1st region?
I am hoping for Region 9 (Arizona, Nevada, California, Guam etc).

I'm hoping for
-1st choice(Region 4: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee)
-2nd choice(Region 6: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas)
-3rd choice(Third Region 3: Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, DC , West Virginia )

Just forwarded that weird email to the CDC email someone else posted.

Put my preferences as:
1. Arizona, Nevada, California, Guam, etc
2. Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc
3. Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, etc

My preferences are:
1. Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington, DC , West Virginia
2. Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
3. Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin

Does anyone know when in April we will be hearing back about interviews? Early April? Late April?

Does anyone know when in April we will be hearing back about interviews? Early April? Late April?
jk just answered my own question looking at old PHAP threads. Should be around the first week of April if anyone was interested :)

jk just answered my own question looking at old PHAP threads. Should be around the first week of April if anyone was interested :)

It starts early April, but a few may have gotten responses mid April. But I feel that 95% were notified the first 1.5 weeks

Hey everyone!
I just noticed this forum yesterday and just want to say that I am excited to have gotten to the second phase of this adventure. PHAP was something I stumbled on just the day before the application process was about to end and I must say it was sent from above. I pray I make it all the way and good luck to all.

Hey guys,

I have a question. When you log onto the USA Jobs website, should it say referred or received for the PHAP application? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks in advance for answering!

Hey guys,

I have a question. When you log onto the USA Jobs website, should it say referred or received for the PHAP application? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks in advance for answering!
It should say Referred