2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FB Group for anyone who wants to join --> Log into Facebook | Facebook

Great to see that you all have made your own Facebook page! I moderate the page for the 2016 class, I know there was some confusion with some of your cohort joining our page. I've added your link into our description for anyone who might come across our page first :)

If you (as a group/cohort) are interested in allowing membership from the 2016 class to answer your questions on your 2017 PHAP Cohort facebook page, I can put a plug in for you on our page for anyone who is willing to answer questions there. I know that our 2016 page has had some past 2015 PHAPs join, which was helpful for us early on in the application process.

Also, congrats to all who have received offers! And good luck to those still waiting :) I remember how stressful that wait can be! I'm a 2016 PHAP stationed in Denver, CO. For anyone who gets an offer in Colorado, feel free to reach out to me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what our vacation and sick leave benefits are? Also, since we are federal employees, would we potentially be off on federal holidays that are host sites might not recognize? Or vice versa? And then finally (I doubt this is an option, but-) are flex schedules a possibility? Thanks yall!

Last edited:
Congratulations, everyone!

I have been meaning to make a post. I received my call on Tuesday and have been placed in Washington, D.C. I currently reside in Bristol, Tennessee. This was my first choice.

D.C. people, please do get in touch!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what our vacation and sick leave benefits are? Also, since we are federal employees, would we potentially be off on federal holidays that are host sites might not recognize? Or vice versa? And then finally (I doubt this is an option, but-) are flex schedules a possibility? Thanks yall!

1) 4 hours of each every pay period (every two weeks). 2) Yes, you get all federal holidays off. For state holidays that are not federal holidays you will telework. 3) You work 8 hours a day plus 30 minutes for lunch Monday-Friday. Flexing is not allowed unless you worked late at a health fair or something and come in a little late the next day

I am PHAP 2017 and I can just say ...wow....just wow!!.. after you kicked me out of your group today??!! NO, THANK YOU!!!

This is not a good way to interact with your future colleagues. It is not professional. There are legitimate reasons to not have not yet enrolled PHAPs on the page.

I've seen a few people post about being stationed in Seattle, but no one for Portland, OR yet. If anyone else is in Portland I'd love to talk a bit further!

Anyone from Atlanta area? I'm looking to move to Smyrna or Marietta and want to know of any good apartments. Will be in ATL August 18th

I got a call Wednesday afternoon around 4:45pm that I was offered a position in Seattle, WA in the Office of State, Tribal and Territorial Support. This was my first choice region.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done their on boarding yet? I have questions about the retirement account section

Hi everyone! I'm also a longtime lurker on this thread, but I just received my offer last night at 8:12 PM! I've been placed in Huntington WV. Anyone placed here looking for a roommate??? Lol

I have family in Huntington! Two of which work in the Health Department! Let me know if you have any questions!

They will go over this in detail at the training. All benefits information is available online. You will get federal and local holidays off if they differ. There is some flex but depends on the supervisor.

Because this process has been moving so quickly last week/this week, I've kind of given up hope that I will be placed (trying to send positive vibes out there buuuttt it's real hard). Although this thread can be anxiety-inducing at times, I am super thankful this community exists and very happy for everyone that has been placed!! If y'all have any tips/advice throughout your CDC PHAP experience, please consider maybe coming back to this thread to update next year's pool of applicants? :happy:

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who maybe waiting for a placement, I declined my offer for Cedar Rapids, Iowa to continue my commitment with Teach For America -Dallas-Fort Worth. Best of luck to you all!

For those of you who maybe waiting for a placement, I declined my offer for Cedar Rapids, Iowa to continue my commitment with Teach For America -Dallas-Fort Worth. Best of luck to you all!
Good luck in Dallas!!

Reactions: 1 user
Because this process has been moving so quickly last week/this week, I've kind of given up hope that I will be placed (trying to send positive vibes out there buuuttt it's real hard). Although this thread can be anxiety-inducing at times, I am super thankful this community exists and very happy for everyone that has been placed!! If y'all have any tips/advice throughout your CDC PHAP experience, please consider maybe coming back to this thread to update next year's pool of applicants? :happy:
We're in the same boat. I'm not giving up yet and you shouldn't either!

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen a few people post about being stationed in Seattle, but no one for Portland, OR yet. If anyone else is in Portland I'd love to talk a bit further!
First Post- I accepted an offer for Portland on Wednesday! Current Location is Seattle and PNW was my top choice. Feel free to email me [email protected]. Congrats everyone! To those who haven't heard back, I feel you. I applied last year and never got a call back. I was crushed. I made adjustments, gained more experience, and applied again this year. It can be brutal to wait for a call that never comes. This year, I pretended as though I wasn't going to receive anything and kept applying so I wouldn't be as crushed.

I agree! Im sending positive vibes as well. I def will be applying again next year if I don't receive an offer since I kind of know how to improve my chances interview wise. Im doing an federal internship now so hopefully I can use that experience to do better in interviews

Hi everyone! I'm starting to panic waiting for a call. Seems like the calls have slowed down this week, which makes me nervous...I called PHAP yesterday, and they weren't of much help other than saying that offers are still going out through August. They said there isn't any particular order in which they are calling. Anyone get a call the last day or two? I'm really hoping there's a spot for me this year.

I agree! Im sending positive vibes as well. I def will be applying again next year if I don't receive an offer since I kind of know how to improve my chances interview wise. Im doing an federal internship now so hopefully I can use that experience to do better in interviews
Everyone who is still waiting... keep in mind that matching isn't due to competency. It also has to do with the host sites that too had to apply. Maybe there were less sites for the area you were hoping for or maybe the field was not a match. Just know that you got picked for an interview and you are good enough :), exceptional in fact!

Reactions: 3 users
Great to see that you all have made your own Facebook page! I moderate the page for the 2016 class, I know there was some confusion with some of your cohort joining our page. I've added your link into our description for anyone who might come across our page first :)

If you (as a group/cohort) are interested in allowing membership from the 2016 class to answer your questions on your 2017 PHAP Cohort facebook page, I can put a plug in for you on our page for anyone who is willing to answer questions there. I know that our 2016 page has had some past 2015 PHAPs join, which was helpful for us early on in the application process.

Also, congrats to all who have received offers! And good luck to those still waiting :) I remember how stressful that wait can be! I'm a 2016 PHAP stationed in Denver, CO. For anyone who gets an offer in Colorado, feel free to reach out to me!

For any incoming associates who have been removed from the page, I do want to stress that it was nothing personal against incoming associates! I sent a personal message to all individuals removed in order to explain why that action was taken. As has been stated on this forum previously, we want to try to limit our communication with applicants through that medium because while it's not an "official" CDC communication channel, it does bear the PHAP name. We don't want any advice or information shared there to be misinterpreted as official information from the program. That Facebook group is meant to be a channel for the 2016 PHAP class to communicate privately, but we can encourage our class to check here on SDN to answer your questions. As you can see from this forum, there are many current associates that are ready and willing to share advice and information with new associates :)

Please feel free to respond or message me privately if there are any concerns or questions that remain. I'm very excited for all of you coming on board to the program!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone from Atlanta area? I'm looking to move to Smyrna or Marietta and want to know of any good apartments. Will be in ATL August 18th

I live in Atlanta currently. I'm in Vinings which is subset of Smyrna. I LOVE it ! I'm minutes from the new stadium. The area is safe and nice. Midtown is a cheap uber ride or drive away. I live in the Vinings Palisades complex, which is right on the river. I'm sad to leave the complex as the management and mantienence crew is awesome! You should check it out!

Hey Everyone!
I am from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and was offered a position in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Please message me if you were also placed in Chicago. I also see that several people on this page are from Chicago, so areas to live in and housing recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hey everyone! I've been out of the country so I haven't been able to keep up with this thread as often, but I received my offer on July 20 and was placed in Arizona. I am originally from Atlanta and this region was my first choice. However, I declined the offer because I had already accepted another job offer that I feel suits my interests better. Congratulations to everyone who has already received an offer and don't lose hope for those who haven't! There's still time!

Has anyone received a call today? And has anyone else been placed in NYC or Jersey?

Got a call around 5 pm EST today!
Current location: Lexington, Kentucky
Offer location: Mount Clemens, Michigan

Does anyone know anything about Mount Clemens?

Heyyyyy! I was placed in Mount Clemens, Michigan too! I'm from Illinois and know nothing about that area. Let's connect!

Hey I have a question for current PHAPs about the october orientation. What is the dress code at these conferences?
I've only had jobs/internships where the dress codes were business casual or casual, so trying to plan ahead if I'll need to go shopping for nicer clothes.

For class of 2016, we received a special edition News-to-Use (biweekly PHAP newsletter prepared by PHAP staff) with Orientation details. This edition included a PHAP training checklist, including dress code - we were instructed to pack 2 days of professional attire (for our professional photo), and business casual for the rest of the week. We received similar instructions for our summer training in Atlanta this past May.

Another longtime lurker and first time poster. I got my call on Friday, around 11:00 PST. I was placed in Concord, NH (in my first choice region) but I'm originally from the SF-Bay Area and I went to school in Los Angeles. I am SO excited but I know I'm in for a lot of changes, so if there's anyone from NH that would be willing to connect (or anyone with California questions), I would love that!

Just received a call at 11:08 pm (I think around 9am EST-I currently live overseas!) for a placement in Charleston West Virginia. I know nothing about the area and it was not my first choice but I am excited/nervous about such a big move. Any insight from current/former PHAPs or new PHAPs also placed in Charleston would be great!

Just received my phone call. I am from Jackson, MS and being placed in New Orleans, LA!! Im super excited so now I can breathe! If anyone else is placed in New Orleans, let's connect!

Just received my phone call. I am from Jackson, MS and being placed in New Orleans, LA!! Im super excited so now I can breathe! If anyone else is placed in New Orleans, let's connect!

I was a PHAP in New Orleans! You will LOVE it! There are a few different host sites in town so I can't speak for what your experience will exactly be, but I miss that city every day!

I was a PHAP in New Orleans! You will LOVE it! There are a few different host sites in town so I can't speak for what your experience will exactly be, but I miss that city every day!
Do you have any housing recommendations? I just got an offer yesterday and I wanted to get a head start! Im so excited to be there. Which site were you at?

Congratulations everyone and good luck to everyone still waiting. This year is a little different because of the hiring freeze and everything happening in the government, the goal is to have 150 PHAP this 2017 class year. Pls I am interested in knowing those posted to Santa Fe, New Mexico, my host site is anxious in knowing if we are getting a new PHAP.

Congratulations everyone and good luck to everyone still waiting. This year is a little different because of the hiring freeze and everything happening in the government, the goal is to have 150 PHAP this 2017 class year. Pls I am interested in knowing those posted to Santa Fe, New Mexico, my host site is anxious in knowing if we are getting a new PHAP.

This is a little discouraging. They told us around 180 during our interviews and I'm still waiting. Thanks for the info!

Hahaha, got a missed call and offer this afternoon, we are literally changing locations, who does these geographic match ups? I'm in San Francisco Bay and offered Los Angeles. Whahahahaha whahahahaha this is awesome. I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been contributing to the post, it has been an amazingly fun time and I look forward to working with you all.
Hi! I'm from DC and I was also placed in Los Angeles! Have you started to look into housing???

This is a little discouraging. They told us around 180 during our interviews and I'm still waiting. Thanks for the info!

I am also feeling extremely discouraged right now. Does anybody have any idea how many placements are remaining to be filled? Seems like the calls have died down... ?

I am also feeling extremely discouraged right now. Does anybody have any idea how many placements are remaining to be filled? Seems like the calls have died down... ?
I just got a call yesterday and my HR person said that she still has quite a few to make so don't get discouraged yet. Calls go until the end of August

Has anyone received a call today? Im hoping that a second wave of calls is coming soon, considering that it's already August 3rd...