2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone from NYC or NJ gotten a call yet?

I'm in NJ and I haven't! Not sure what it means but I'm in the same boat as you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in Maine and haven't gotten a call yet, but my theory is that they are probs understaffed with people to make these calls/emails and it's probably not that individual's only task. They probably also stagger offers with different deadlines for materials so that they aren't inundated with 180+ transcripts, background checks, etc all at once. This is what I tell myself to make the wait less horrible!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all! First time poster. I received my offer on Tuesday at 3pm Eastern time! The call was from a 770 number (listed as Stone Mountain, GA).

Current residence: New York, NY (originally from Chicago, IL)
Offer location: Albany, NY

The region for NY was my first choice, although I was really hoping to get placed in NYC. Unfortunately I don't think I can take the position because I just signed a lease for a new apartment in NYC this past week. Sucks because I still don't have an ideal job offer in the city yet, but fingers crossed that more opportunities will cross my path. I have until today to decide, but if I decline I hope someone that really wants to be part of this program takes my place!

For some background, I studied public health in undergrad in NYC and just graduated this May. Had a fair bit of public health experience in the past three years (various research roles, working for a community health center, and leading health-focused + advocacy related clubs). I think my experience working in the community on a variety of health issues (HIV/STIs, tobacco, obesity, etc) is what got me in to the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! First time poster. I received my offer on Tuesday at 3pm Eastern time! The call was from a 770 number (listed as Stone Mountain, GA).

The region for NY was my first choice, although I was really hoping to get placed in NYC. Unfortunately I don't think I can take the position because I just signed a lease for a new apartment in NYC this past week. Sucks because I still don't have an ideal job offer in the city yet, but fingers crossed that more opportunities will cross my path. I have until today to decide, but if I decline I hope someone that really wants to be part of this program takes my place!

For some background, I studied public health in undergrad in NYC and just graduated this May. Had a fair bit of public health experience in the past three years (various research roles, working for a community health center, and leading health-focused + advocacy related clubs). I think my experience working in the community on a variety of health issues (HIV/STIs, tobacco, obesity, etc) is what got me in to the program.

If you do decide to take the position, I've lived in Albany for my entire life, so I can give you tips!
You'd probably be placed at the New York State Dept. Of Health, and I'm interning there now, so I can also provide tips for that.

Congratulations to everyone who has already heard back!!

I'm still living with radio silence right now, but I do have a random question... Does anyone have any insight as to when the PHAP orientation would be? I am planning to attend the APHA conference this year, which is scheduled from Nov 3 - Nov 8... Do you think there is any overlap/conflict?

To all of the current or previous PHAPs, has there ever been the case where the program changed someone's placement location if they asked?

Congratulations to everyone who has already heard back!!

I'm still living with radio silence right now, but I do have a random question... Does anyone have any insight as to when the PHAP orientation would be? I am planning to attend the APHA conference this year, which is scheduled from Nov 3 - Nov 8... Do you think there is any overlap/conflict?

The CDC PHAP website says "Associates begin their host site assignments in early October and attend the 2017 PHAP Orientation in October at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia" so it shouldn't overlap with the November conference. However I'm not sure how time off works for PHAP or if you would even be able to attend the conference. This might depend on your host site and the projects you are working on for them.

The CDC PHAP website says "Associates begin their host site assignments in early October and attend the 2017 PHAP Orientation in October at CDC headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia" so it shouldn't overlap with the November conference. However I'm not sure how time off works for PHAP or if you would even be able to attend the conference. This might depend on your host site and the projects you are working on for them.

Thank you! Those are really helpful thoughts. I'm actually presenting at the conference, so I don't think I can get out of going... It certainly gives me more to consider as I continue to play the waiting game :)

To all of the current or previous PHAPs, has there ever been the case where the program changed someone's placement location if they asked?

In the past year's forums, I read that someone declined the offer for a location, and ended up on a waiting list for their preferred location. I'm not sure if they will be doing the same thing this year, but I'm pretty sure if you decline the first offer/location, you won't be guaranteed another spot.

Hi all. First-time poster, long-time lurker. I just received a call and was assigned to Bowling Green, KY. I will decide over the weekend.

Omg can I take Albany from you?! lol I was placed in VI and for personal reasons I can't go there and they are attempting to work something out with me BUT not guaranteed. will you email me? [email protected]

Hey All,

I don't think they're going by regions as I am from Atlanta Ga and currently live in SC. I got offered a position in Bartow, FL. Kind of wanted something a bit closer to home but the Southern Region was my first choice.

The PHAP in Bartow is one of my best friends in the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been laying low and trying not to think about PHAP so I don't keep obsessing over it, but last night I had a dream that I got a call from Atlanta and I woke up this morning expecting a call...on a Saturday morning :dead:
Super huge congrats to everyone who has heard back so far and good luck to all of us still waiting!!

VI as in Virgin Islands? That is too cool!
Yes Virgin Islands! And if I didn't have my little girl, husband, two cars, a dog and house I might consider that move but it's so expensive to move that big all the way there. Moving my cars alone was so expensive

Yes Virgin Islands! And if I didn't have my little girl, husband, two cars, a dog and house I might consider that move but it's so expensive to move that big all the way there. Moving my cars alone was so expensive
Yeah that would be really difficult to make that move. I didn't even know they could send associates there! Will the CDC let you trade with someone?

As someone still waiting to hear about an offer, I hope this is our week that we will get that call! Hope this week goes great for everyone and we can somehow find something to distract us and calm us down. Congrats to everyone who has been extended an offer and accepted already!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I would gladly trade North Dakota for the Virgin Islands, haha!

Thank you! Those are really helpful thoughts. I'm actually presenting at the conference, so I don't think I can get out of going... It certainly gives me more to consider as I continue to play the waiting game :)

I wouldn't worry about APHA in terms of your decision, especially if you are already presenting.

Hey everyone! I just got an offer today and would be placed in Portland. I was wondering if anyone was from the area and would be willing to give me an idea about cost of living before I decide whether to accept.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I just got an offer today and would be placed in Portland. I was wondering if anyone was from the area and would be willing to give me an idea about cost of living before I decide whether to accept.

Congratulations!!! I'm assuming you're talking about Portland Oregon, not Maine? I don't know first-hand but I have several friends who have had to leave Portland OR because the housing rental market is just crazy expensive. But that being said, I don't think it's unobtainable to find a way to make it work. Especially if you reach out early to your host organization and let them know you're looking for housing! Again - congrats!!!! :)

Hey everyone! I have been following this forum since December and I am so grateful to this community for supporting one another. I am happy to report that I got my call today at 10:00 AM (EST), it was a 770 number. I am from Maryland and got an offer in Staunton, Virginia. I was really surprised because the MD/VA/WA/DC region was my top choice (NY/NJ/Puerto Rico were the 2nd, VI/NH/ME/MA were the 3rd) and when I talked to some 2016 PHAP's and the woman that I interviewed with, I got the impression that they try to match people with programs six hours away from where they are from, so I really did not think that I would get that region. It seems like based on the forum, this is a common occurrence.

Here are my questions:
1) Anyone from STAUNTON, VIRGINIA area- do you have any advice as to where to live, cost of living, good eats, etc. I am also looking for a part time job at a restaurant or bar to make some extra cash. What are some good places to work/are looking to hire for the Fall.
2) Anyone who has already gotten an offer, how long did it take for you to get your follow up email with the information. I was so excited that I really didn't hear what the HR lady was saying :)

I am from Baltimore, MD and lived in D.C. for a time and I am happy to answer any questions about living in the Baltimore/D.C. area if anyone receives in the Balt/D.C. area.
To all of you still waiting your call- just keep on sending out those positive mental vibes and thoughts. I am have NO academic background in Public Health (I was an International Relations major) and I was really nervous about being a good fit for the program. If I was lucky to hear back, I was honestly expecting to hear back really late in the summer so if you can play the waiting game, then the better the chances in receiving an offer. Try to enjoy the rest of your summer and remember that all will work out. I am looking forward to working with all of you in the future!!!

I'm in Portland, ME (the OG, but less cool of the two, haha). If you happen to have been placed here, I'd be happy to talk to you about cost of living and what to expect!

Hey everyone! I am a 2016 PHAP placed in Albuquerque, New Mexico. If anyone gets placed here and needs help finding housing, please let me know! I rent a house with a few roommates, and we are looking for someone to fill the room that the 2015 PHAP will be leaving. Email me at [email protected]. Good luck, everyone!

I'm getting nervous myself. Everything seemed to be moving really quickly with the initial steps. And now it's just stagnant. :unsure:

Anyone from west coast got an offer?
It really does seem like most of the placements have been along the east coast... A couple people were placed in OR but that's really it for west coast

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker first time poster. I received my offer today 1pm ect, I am being placed in Berkley Ca.

My first choice region!

If your posted there talk to me about housing ugu going to be pricey

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker first time poster. I received my offer today 1pm ect, I am being placed in Berkley Ca.

My first choice region!

If your posted there talk to me about housing ugu going to be pricey

Congratulations!! That's so exciting :) I would have LOVED to be placed in Berkeley.

I've been working in Berkeley for almost 6 years now -- you're going to love it here :) There's a lot of great food, friendly people, and an enormous amount of social and political organizations (if that's something that you're interested in). Berkeley itself is pretty centered around the university, so you'll be around a lot of students. It's a little expensive if you want to live in Berkeley itself. However, I do have colleagues who live in surrounding cities (Albany, Richmond, Pleasant Hill, Oakland, etc.) -- it's way more affordable, and the commute is not bad at all!

Seeing CA placements roll out is making me SUPER anxious/nervous....

Anyone from west coast got an offer?

Definitely seems like everyone who's been placed so far is originally from the East or eastern Midwest regions, regardless of wherever they're placed across the country. Hoping that they get to those who applied from the West coast soon!

Congratulations!! That's so exciting :) I would have LOVED to be placed in Berkeley.

I've been working in Berkeley for almost 6 years now -- you're going to love it here :) There's a lot of great food, friendly people, and an enormous amount of social and political organizations (if that's something that you're interested in). Berkeley itself is pretty centered around the university, so you'll be around a lot of students. It's a little expensive if you want to live in Berkeley itself. However, I do have colleagues who live in surrounding cities (Albany, Richmond, Pleasant Hill, Oakland, etc.) -- it's way more affordable, and the commute is not bad at all!

Seeing CA placements roll out is making me SUPER anxious/nervous....

I received the offer!! I am placed in Stockton, California.

Omg congrats!! Did you just get the call? I feel like there aren't too many people from the West Coast on this thread :\

Definitely seems like everyone who's been placed so far is originally from the East or eastern Midwest regions, regardless of wherever they're placed across the country. Hoping that they get to those who applied from the West coast soon!

I am in phx az

Congratulations!!! I'm assuming you're talking about Portland Oregon, not Maine? I don't know first-hand but I have several friends who have had to leave Portland OR because the housing rental market is just crazy expensive. But that being said, I don't think it's unobtainable to find a way to make it work. Especially if you reach out early to your host organization and let them know you're looking for housing! Again - congrats!!!! :)
Yes, definitely Portland, Oregon. When I started looking at the area the rent looked pretty expensive, so I'm a little nervous about cost of living. However, I can definitely make it work for the opportunity to take part in the program! Thanks for the input :)

So I just received a call from a 770 number (which is highly unlikely that I would normally receive a call from that area code)... I answered but it never connected. So, how long has it taken you all to also get an email? I am now currently freaking out.

Also, congratulations for you all that have been given offers so far! I recently returned to reality after a week of camping while all this excitement has been going on!

Hello all, first time poster. I was called today at 5:26pm and received an offer in Lansing, MI. I am originally from Detroit, MI and did not request any particular region. I am pretty sure I will accept the offer!

Hi all. First-time poster, long-time lurker. I just received a call and was assigned to Bowling Green, KY. I will decide over the weekend.

Hey! Bowling Green PHAP here .. there are currently 3 of us at the health district. Feel free to message with any questions you might have to make your decision. :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Current location: Seattle
PHAP location: Long Island City in Queens, NY

I'm wondering if anyone else has been placed in NYC and is looking for a roommate, let me know!