2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all of you who have heard and to everyone else- don't lose faith! It is an incredibly stressful process but you're almost through it! I'm at 2016 PHAP placed in CO so if any of you get placed out here feel free to send me a message! Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was offered a position with the Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director, located in Philadelphia, PA per the email I received!

The PHAP program is organizationally categorized under Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director. You all will probably not get any more information about your host site, besides the city, until they reach out to you closer to your start date.

It is also highly unlikely that you will be allowed to switch or change locations. It is very rare to have a different location in your second year. The program is steering away from having two different assignments in the two years.

Also I would love to believe that they contact people by region, just to make it easier to process, but I don't think they operate in that way. When you are in the program you are assigned a supervisor and divided into groups that are not necessarily the same geographic area. I had a PHAP at my same site who was notified a week after I was as well.

Congrats all around to those who have and will receive a call! It is good to hear they have listened to geographic request so far. Good luck!

Last edited:
I was offered a position in the Virgin Islands. Not my first choice, I live in Chicago. Might have to turn it down or request a different location. I have two cars, a house, and family and moving to the VI is going to be maybe more than I can afford. Too bad they can't pay moving expenses. Or can we trade with someone else? Lol anyone wanna trade All that wait and I'm couples with pride happiness and sheer confusion sadness because I probably can't afford a move that big.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, first time poster. I am so blessed and excited to have been selected. I was placed in ND which definitely isn't ideal for me. They have given me until Monday to decide. I am waiting to hear back for other positions I have applied to... I'm wondering what would happen if I accept the position but then get an offer for a more ideal position in a few weeks and decide to accept that offer? Any insight on this would be very much appreciated!

Hey everyone, first time poster. I am so blessed and excited to have been selected. I was placed in ND which definitely isn't ideal for me. They have given me until Monday to decide. I am waiting to hear back for other positions I have applied to... I'm wondering what would happen if I accept the position but then get an offer for a more ideal position in a few weeks and decide to accept that offer? Any insight on this would be very much appreciated!

This is from last year's thread, but I think you might find it helpful! 2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say I got my offer today and I'm thanking God! He has blessed me once again! I'm placed in Michigan and I'm from Illinois (it is in my first choice region...funny though because at the interview I wanted to change locations haha look at how things work).

I hope to hear the same excitement from all of you! Hold on, the calls are just getting started!

Hey All,

I don't think they're going by regions as I am from Atlanta Ga and currently live in SC. I got offered a position in Bartow, FL. Kind of wanted something a bit closer to home but the Southern Region was my first choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Question: did everyone who received a call get their call from a 404 number? Or did the number vary by region?

Also, did you receive an email in conjunction with a phone call?

Question: did everyone who received a call get their call from a 404 number? Or did the number vary by region?

Also, did you receive an email in conjunction with a phone call?

I was called from a 770 number and the email came about 10 mins after the phone call.

Nothing happens if you accept the PHAP position and decline it later. However, keep in mind that if you do decide to accept and decline later, you are taking a position away from someone who may really want it and the host site loses a person they thought they would be getting. PHAP won't fill your spot if you decline the position later. It's better to decide up front on whether to accept/decline...the public health and CDC world is a small...The North Remembers

Hey everyone, just got the call!! I was placed in Manchester, KY. This was my first choice region but I was hoping for either Georgia or NC. I'm a bit leery about this location. If anyone can tell me anything about the area, please reach out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing happens if you accept the PHAP position and decline it later. However, keep in mind that if you do decide to accept and decline later, you are taking a position away from someone who may really want it and the host site loses a person they thought they would be getting. PHAP won't fill your spot if you decline the position later. It's better to decide up front on whether to accept/decline...the public health and CDC world is a small...The North Remembers

I second this post! You really need to decide in the timeline that they give you.

OK.... I'M FREAKING OUT. Where is my call? My phone volume is cranked to the max haha. Has anybody received a placement yet on the west coast or SW region yet?

This is so stressful! Maybe they are going by last names lol

OK.... I'M FREAKING OUT. Where is my call? My phone volume is cranked to the max haha. Has anybody received a placement yet on the west coast or SW region yet?
Not yet ughhhhhh:( I am on the west coast

Im really starting to worry now. Anybody near MS gotten a call yet? Im trying to see when should I just assume I didn't get a position

Did anyone in the Midwest receive a call yet?

Im really starting to worry now. Anybody near MS gotten a call yet? Im trying to see when should I just assume I didn't get a position

As a long time stalker of not only this years PHAP thread, but pretty much the last 3 years threads I would say it's safe to assume once you haven't heard something by AUGUST. End of August. Then you should probably assume you did not receive a position. That's what everyone has been saying and has said in the past. They have only just begun their calls. It doesn't appear there is any rhyme or reason to how the calls go out (to our knowledge). It could be top candidates first, it could just be random stacks on HR associates desks. It's a slow process. We all just have to keep calm, have faith, and see what happens :) It's only been two days of calls. If it was meant to be we'll each get a call. If it wasn't, then maybe we were meant to do something else.

Just my personal mantras for everyone. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Ok... so I guess my mantra worked because I just got the call. I'm being placed in Boston, MA! I'm from Orlando and it was in my first choice region. Actually, I've wanted to move to Boston for years so this is pretty exciting.

Any other PHAPS who get places in Boston, feel free to reach out! Or any other PHAPS who are currently in Boston, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Ok... so I guess my mantra worked because I just got the call. I'm being placed in Boston, MA! I'm from Orlando and it was in my first choice region. Actually, I've wanted to move to Boston for years so this is pretty exciting.

Any other PHAPS who get places in Boston, feel free to reach out! Or any other PHAPS who are currently in Boston, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Congrats!!! I didn't apply for PHAP this year (I'm just a lurker) but I'm in Boston for my undergrad! I LOVE the city, and I think you will too! Let me know if you have any questions about the area!

Hey everyone, just got the call!! I was placed in Manchester, KY. This was my first choice region but I was hoping for either Georgia or NC. I'm a bit leery about this location. If anyone can tell me anything about the area, please reach out!

I am from Kentucky and a 2016 PHAP stationed in KY. If it is the Manchester I'm thinking of you will be in Clay County, which is a rural Appalachian region of the state and falls under the Cumberland Valley District Health Department (not saying this is where you are, but a good start to look into public health in the area). This county is also part of the SOAR Initiative (which has a CDC employee in KY) and the Promise Neighborhood Program (based out of Berea College); it is a very underserved area that I'm sure will give you plenty of experience and things to do. It is a beautiful area! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Last edited:
I have not yet and I am completely freaking out. I'm not trying to have anxiety, but it is definitely settling in. Still trying to remain positive and keep my mind busy with this SAS project I have lol.

Ok I we still in the same boat lol! Im trying to stay busy with this internship. We been doing this waiting game for a while now, hopefully we will hear from them soon

I'm in the SE and my first choice was SE, followed by the region NYC is, and finally New England. I've seen people getting placed in the areas and from the areas, so I am definitely about to meditate, burn some incense, and chill out when I get home. All I've been putting out is nervous vibes, so I need to reharness my energy.

My last name begins with a M btw lol.

Hey!! I am a 2016 PHAP, not placed in Boston but use to live an hour outside of Boston and know a lot of people that live there. One of my friends in PHAP (who is currently placed in Nebraska) went to school in Boston, so if you want to talk to her about the area I can ask she would be able to talk to you about it! Just send me a message, and I'll ask her. CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW JOB!

Hello!
I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I received my call today that said I would be placed in Kalispell, Montana! I am from Maryland (right outside Washington, D.C.), so I am SO excited but also nervous. I was freaking out basically since January, so I'm glad that part of the stress is finished. I felt like my phone was going to join my hand! If you have any information about the area I am moving, I would greatly appreciate it since I am completely unfamiliar :)
I know everyone will hear back soon! Good luck!

Hi all! By the grace of God I just received the call and was placed in Portland, OR. This was my first choice region, but I am from FL. I know absolutely nothing about Portland other than the food scene. If anyone is from Portland or is placed in Portland message me about the area/neighborhoods please!

This is so stressful! Maybe they are going by last names lol

The pattern I've been discerning from the posts on this thread (...which may or may not be representative of the entire acceptance pool) is that they've been notifying people who are from the East Coast first, regardless of where they actually got placed :p Hopefully they start moving westwards soon!

I am from Maryland and have not received a call so I'm wondering if it's safe to assume I didn't make the cut...

I am from Maryland and have not received a call so I'm wondering if it's safe to assume I didn't make the cut...
I wouldn't. We don't know for sure how they're ordering the calls (if they're ordering them at all). One of my friends last year was from the East Coast and did not receive a call until late August. Don't assume that they eliminated you unless you haven't received a call by the time August is over. Plus, I'm pretty sure that they just started calling, and you never know how many applicants from the East Coast they received. I'm assuming that there would be a greater number of applicants from the East Coast, but I don't know. Just hold your horses. lol

They've only started making calls this week, so I'd try to wait it out! As we've all said before, we're really just trying to guess a pattern to calm our own nerves - but who really knows what they're doing? It could be truly randomized for all we know, so don't lose hope :happy:

Guys the first post on this forum was only from Tuesday. Go meditate or something lol

Reactions: 3 users
I truly appreciate the optimism lol

Oh guys I would not freak out at all! There are so many people they have to call and send offer letters out to within the same day. Just like an old PHAP said in an earlier post.. when they say they will be calling people until late August, they will be calling people until late August.

Got the call this afternoon. 770 area code
Assigned Location: Washington, D.C.
Current Location: Charlotte, NC

I shouted so hard in the bathroom at work I know people thought that I was crazy. They just don't know HOW LONG WE HAVE WAITED FOR THIS!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi All, first time poster. Received my call a couple hours ago, placed in Richmond, VA. This was my first choice. Currently living in Massachusetts but went to school in Virginia. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly I have no idea where I stand in this process but I have to sign a lease soon and make a deposit not sure how long I can delay doing this before I lose a potential apartment over this waiting and uncertainty. I wish they would let you know if you did not get a spot.

Long time lurker, first time poster but I got the call on Wednesday, 770 area code.
Current Location: Chicago, IL
Assigned Location: Columbus, Ohio
Got my 1st choice region which is super exciting! Any other PHAPs that get Ohio please feel free to reach out and any current PHAPs in Ohio that could share some insight, would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone else!!

Did anyone in the Midwest receive a call yet?

I'm in Illinois and got the call Wednesday. I was placed in Mount Clemens, Michigan.

If anyone is placed in Michigan or currently living there, please feel free to let me know!

Best wishes everyone!

Got my call a day before my birthday from a 770 number.

Current Location: Kansas City, MO
Assigned Location: Atlanta, GA

That was my first region and I wanted ATL!!!

Got my call a day before my birthday from a 770 number.

Current Location: Kansas City, MO
Assigned Location: Atlanta, GA

That was my first region and I wanted ATL!!!
Congrats and happy early birthday!