2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I told my husband and his response was oh cool lol they don't get it!
Buwahahhaha, same boat over here. But all yall understand!

I am so excited! I have also made plans to apply for MPH or MEmergencyManagement. FEMA, also followed up with me so I am excited. I don't know if anyone knows anyone, but it's hard for me to explain that I like both PH and EM.. and each in their own have some overlay. For example, PH has an EM sector and EM also deals with PH.

So excited to get this train rolling! Anyone want to convince me of their MPH top choices? Online pref, but if not we are settling in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my MPH with a concentration in Environmental & Occupational Health but since you mentioned FEMA, I would recommendation completing some FEMA certifications. I have 13 right now and its self-paced. It would look great on your resume because as i apply for federal jobs it def stands out. And they are free.
Emergency Management Institute - Independent Study (IS) | Course List

Buwahahhaha, same boat over here. But all yall understand!

I am so excited! I have also made plans to apply for MPH or MEmergencyManagement. FEMA, also followed up with me so I am excited. I don't know if anyone knows anyone, but it's hard for me to explain that I like both PH and EM.. and each in their own have some overlay. For example, PH has an EM sector and EM also deals with PH.

So excited to get this train rolling! Anyone want to convince me of their MPH top choices? Online pref, but if not we are settling in Texas.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my MPH with a concentration in Environmental & Occupational Health but since you mentioned FEMA, I would recommendation completing some FEMA certifications. I have 13 right now and its self-paced. It would look great on your resume because as i apply for federal jobs it def stands out. And they are free.
Emergency Management Institute - Independent Study (IS) | Course List
Thank you! I have been doing the FEMA courses since I found out about it when I had to do 100 and 700 in 2010. I love these free courses! Everyone should take them, even as personal growth and knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I have been doing the FEMA courses since I found out about it when I had to do 100 and 700 in 2010. I love these free courses! Everyone should take them, even as personal growth and knowledge.

No problem! Also if you are ever looking for experience outside of PHAP, check out USDA internships. Im currently interning with them studying Biosafety and Environmental Health. They do a lot of work with FEMA so it could help get your foot in the door as well. My division goes out when there are outbreaks or natural disasters to set up clinics and stuff. They have a lot of interesting programs that may spark your interest even more. They paid for my housing (apartment), transportation to and from my job site (flight), and daily transportation costs and a stipend every two weeks. Just some advice to help you out. In terms of schools, def consider ones that have practicums because if you do well it could be easier to get a job and recommendations too. If you have any questions about MPH programs just send me personal message and Ill be glad to help.

Reactions: 3 users
2016 PHAP here. I didn't hear back last year until July 22nd without the hiring freeze so keep up hope. Other associates didn't hear till beginning of August.

Reactions: 5 users
Here we go again:(.....yeah, if they could just text me and tell me I didn't get a job, that'd be great:joyful:

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and holiday.

Back to refreshing my email and this forum... along with frantically answering my phone for any unknown or unfamiliar number lol.

Here we go again:(.....yeah, if they could just text me and tell me I didn't get a job, that'd be great:joyful:
Lol right! I could go ahead and find other opportunities and quit refreshing my emails and checking my phone for ATL and other area codes.

Reactions: 1 users
I just hope we hear soon! at this point, I just want the waiting to be over!!! Good Luck everyone!

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and holiday.

Back to refreshing my email and this forum... along with frantically answering my phone for any unknown or unfamiliar number lol.
I think I picked the worst time to do an online inquiry for MPH schools. I'm getting so many calls and I answer hoping it's PHAP.... grrrrrr

A huge part of me wants to turn my phone and computer off until mid-July (aka next week lol) and completely disconnect, but I feel like I'm going to miss something. Once these calls come in, I'm pretty sure I will be crying just because the wait will be over lol.

Sidenote: This question is geared to former PHAPs, but I'll gladly take insight from others. About how much did you end up saving to relocate for PHAP? Feel free to send me a DM if you don't want to post it on the board?

A huge part of me wants to turn my phone and computer off until mid-July (aka next week lol) and completely disconnect, but I feel like I'm going to miss something. Once these calls come in, I'm pretty sure I will be crying just because the wait will be over lol.

Sidenote: This question is geared to former PHAPs, but I'll gladly take insight from others. About how much did you end up saving to relocate for PHAP? Feel free to send me a DM if you don't want to post it on the board?

Ask your question in the 2016 and 2015 Forum and you can def get more answers and estimates based on different locations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we might expect to hear back?

Does anyone know when we might expect to hear back?
We're all hoping/guessing that it'll be mid-July. I was looking at some of the forums for the former cycles and it appears that the second wave of offers began as early as July 7th but were occurring on July 10th and 11th as well.

Hello all, I'm a lurker here and did not actually apply for this year's PHAP as I haven't finished my undergrad degree yet (will be a senior this fall). However, I am considering applying to PHAP for the 2018 cycle and I am watching this thread to try and get some tips! I'm still not sure if it's better to get an MPH before applying to this program or to apply without one? (If this is the wrong place to ask this, would someone mind directing me where to go? I am a newbie to this forum.)

I hope you all wind up at the placements you want! I am crossing my fingers for you :)
Hello! I'm a current PHAP (class of 2016) and can tell you that the vast majority of PHAPs do NOT hold masters degrees when they enter the program. There's not necessarily an advantage or disadvantage to having a masters before applying; I think it really just depends individually where you're at. Some of us are even pursuing masters degrees part time while in PHAP. It's a varied bunch!

Ask your question in the 2016 and 2015 Forum and you can def get more answers and estimates based on different locations.
Thanks MelaninMonRHO1922 for sharing Facebook link. You are great!

Hi everyone. 2016 PHAP here again. Just FYI for those of you who might have been admitted to our Facebook group, we want to try to limit our communication with applicants through that medium because while it's not an "official" CDC communication channel, it does bear the PHAP name. We don't want any advice or information shared there to be misinterpreted as official information from the program. That Facebook group is meant to be a channel for the 2016 PHAP class to communicate privately, but we can encourage our class to check here on SDN to answer your questions. If you have questions, this would be the best place to post. Thanks! :)

Hello! I'm a current PHAP (class of 2016) and can tell you that the vast majority of PHAPs do NOT hold masters degrees when they enter the program. There's not necessarily an advantage or disadvantage to having a masters before applying; I think it really just depends individually where you're at. Some of us are even pursuing masters degrees part time while in PHAP. It's a varied bunch!

Thank you! Hopefully there's no hiring freeze for the 2018 cohort!

Hi everyone. 2016 PHAP here again. Just FYI for those of you who might have been admitted to our Facebook group, we want to try to limit our communication with applicants through that medium because while it's not an "official" CDC communication channel, it does bear the PHAP name. We don't want any advice or information shared there to be misinterpreted as official information from the program. That Facebook group is meant to be a channel for the 2016 PHAP class to communicate privately, but we can encourage our class to check here on SDN to answer your questions. If you have questions, this would be the best place to post. Thanks! :)
I was referring to the SDN Forums for 2016 & 2015 PHAP not the facebook group.

Well, my apologies for posting the link. I don't have a problem deleting that and I saw others have utilized the Facebook group. I know that it's not official information and just figured that I would get a faster response than on SDN. I had a question about how much PHAPs saved for relocating expenses - although, it varies by location.

Hi all! I also applied (and got through the prior rounds) and have been following this page fanatically. I know there was information upthread that the hiring freeze was over and that selections had been finalized, but I just logged into the PHAP portal and it says "Final associate selections will be completed in August 2017" at the bottom of the application instructions. Not saying it won't be sooner, but I am gonna cool my jets for awhile! Best of luck all!

Hi all! I also applied (and got through the prior rounds) and have been following this page fanatically. I know there was information upthread that the hiring freeze was over and that selections had been finalized, but I just logged into the PHAP portal and it says "Final associate selections will be completed in August 2017" at the bottom of the application instructions. Not saying it won't be sooner, but I am gonna cool my jets for awhile! Best of luck all!
Hi! What part of the application instructions does it say that? I don't see it on my portal.

Hi! What part of the application instructions does it say that? I don't see it on my portal.
Go to the side buttons and click applicant instructions. Go to the last section called Final Selection and its there. It saying everyone will know if they got a position by August 2017
  • Final associate selections will be completed in August 2017.
  • Selected associates will begin the PHAP two-year training program on October 1, 2017.

Go to the side buttons and click applicant instructions. Go to the last section called Final Selection and its there. It saying everyone will know if they got a position by August 2017
  • Final associate selections will be completed in August 2017.
  • Selected associates will begin the PHAP two-year training program on October 1, 2017.
Yep, that's where i saw it! Perhaps this week will be our week to hear back....fingers crossed!

Yep, that's where i saw it! Perhaps this week will be our week to hear back....fingers crossed!
Me too! If I don't hear by July 21st, I might have to decline because that's not enough time to save up more money to move, find a new place to stay ,tour apartments, pay deposits, relocate, and get settled in.

Me too! If I don't hear by July 21st, I might have to decline because that's not enough time to save up more money to move, find a new place to stay ,tour apartments, pay deposits, relocate, and get settled in.

Hello all! I am a 2014 PHAP so not quite in the know anymore about the program. However, my new place of work has applied for a PHAP and we just received confirmation Friday that we have moved on to the final step of the process. Which means you all will be hearing back coon! I know you are all very anxious (and we as host sites are too) but you should be hearing back soon. The HR process takes 1-2 months which is why they say final decisions will be completed in August. You are not official/final until the HR process is complete.

The PHAP class of 2013 found out if they were accepted about 2 weeks before the start time. Many of them checked into a hotel for the first two weeks while they got an apartment and settled in. So regardless of when you find out, you are in a much better position than they were! Your first few days in the program you will probably just be completing HR requirements for your host site so it won't be too overwhelming to start. Then about a month later you will attend CDC training in Atlanta.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks y'all, I found it. I'm hoping this is our week too. I've been thinking the same thing @alh601. I've been asking my parents how they relocated since they are military and they simply said that I may need to choose the best from Google. I'm just hoping that there are openings and that they can go without proof of employment. Worse case scenario, I would be in an apartment with very little furniture and have my parents be the cosigners lol.

Hello all! I am a 2014 PHAP so not quite in the know anymore about the program. However, my new place of work has applied for a PHAP and we just received confirmation Friday that we have moved on to the final step of the process. Essentially, PHAP accepts the position and passes all HR requirements. This means that the decisions will be coming out soon! I know you are all very anxious (and we as host sites are too) but you should be hearing back soon. The HR process takes 1-2 months which is why they say final decisions will be completed in August. You are not official/final until the HR process is complete.

The PHAP class of 2013 found out if they were accepted about 2 weeks before the start time. Many of them check into a hotel for the first two weeks while they got an apartment and settled in. So regardless of when you find out, you are in a much better position than they were! Your first few days in the program you will probably just be completing HR requirements for your host site so it won't be too overwhelming to start. Then about a month later you will attend CDC training in Atlanta.

That is so great to hear! This entire process has definitely taught me patience lol. Thank you so much for the information @blalli!! Is the final step the matching process that is mentioned on the CDC's website? Also, for clarification, are you saying that PHAP is completing all of its HR requirements with the host sites and then whoever is offered the position will have to complete their own individual HR requirements? If you don't mind me asking, how did you enjoy your experience and where are you located now? I'm sorry for the overload of questions by the way.

Great! Thanks y'all, I found it. I'm hoping this is our week too. I've been thinking the same thing @alh601. I've been asking my parents how they relocated since they are military and they simply said that I may need to choose the best from Google. I'm just hoping that there are openings and that they can go without proof of employment. Worse case scenario, I would be in an apartment with very little furniture and have my parents be the cosigners lol.

By the time you need to get an apartment (September) you should have an official document from the CDC that you can use. Once you get a few pay checks you can upgrade the furniture/living situation. I moved in about a week before our start date and my roommate, who was also a PHAP, (we found each other on this forum) moved in the weekend before we started. I actually traveled to my host site city about a month before we started and looked around at a few places. If you can swing that, it is totally worth it!

Best of luck!

By the time you need to get an apartment (September) you should have an official document from the CDC that you can use. Once you get a few pay checks you can upgrade the furniture/living situation. I moved in about a week before our start date and my roommate, who was also a PHAP, (we found each other on this forum) moved in the weekend before we started. I actually traveled to my host site city about a month before we started and looked around at a few places. If you can swing that, it is totally worth it!

Best of luck!
Great! Thank you so so so much again @blalli!!

That is so great to hear! This entire process has definitely taught me patience lol. Thank you so much for the information @blalli!! Is the final step the matching process that is mentioned on the CDC's website? Also, for clarification, are you saying that PHAP is completing all of its HR requirements with the host sites and then whoever is offered the position will have to complete their own individual HR requirements? If you don't mind me asking, how did you enjoy your experience and where are you located now? I'm sorry for the overload of questions by the way.

No worries, happy to answer! Yes, the final step is the matching process. Starting probably this week phone calls will start to go out. CDC will give you like a day or two to decide if you want the position. Then immediately start the HR process for you. Their goal is to have most/all HR completed by the end of August. In my year, it took till about mid-september for the final official offer after completing all HR. However, assuming you don't have a storied past, once you get the call from CDC it is pretty much official (if you want it).

Host sites will start the HR process in late-july August. Once the PHAP accepts, then the CDC will notify the Host site and begin the HR process. Your host site may reach out to you before Oct to get a resume and get to know you, or they may not.

"Mid-June to Late-August Offers will be made to selected candidates by CDC’s Human Resources Office and include notification of assigned geographic placement and agency name. Note: Host site location is NOT negotiable because associates must be placed in geographic and program areas CDC determines to have the greatest need."

I loved the PHAP program. I gained so much experience working in a health department that can be really hard to come by especially without a Masters or due to the chronic under-funding of health departments. Often, local gov't are underfunded so having extra staff if such a huge help for them. Some people have a misconception that you are completing work for the CDC, but really you are working on projects at your host site. The CDC is basically just your HR person (pay, leave, etc.) and your support system in the form of a learning curriculum. It is really up to you to take advantage of opportunities at your host site. Some people will refer to you as an intern, but you are a full time paid employee so own it! Since everyone is placed all over the country I can't speak to exactly what your experience would be, but I am sure it will be great! Also, be comfortable with the pay going into the job. It is very clear online what the pay is and if you are nervous about the pay don't accept! This is a highly competitive program and taking a spot from someone who really wants it is not fair. If you leave the program early, the CDC will not replace your position so the host site is now down a staff member. I moved cities after my fellowship ended and the program 100% helped me to get the positions I am in now. My employer was familiar with the program and hired me based off the skills I gained from the program. This program can make it slightly easier to get a job at the CDC but it is not a funnel program into the CDC. I would recommend not going in with the expectations of getting a CDC job afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
No worries, happy to answer! Yes, the final step is the matching process. Starting probably this week phone calls will start to go out. CDC will give you like a day or two to decide if you want the position. Then immediately start the HR process for you. Their goal is to have most/all HR completed by the end of August. In my year it took till about mid-september for the final official offer. However, assuming you don't have a storied past, once you get the call from CDC it is pretty much official (if you want it). Host sites will start our HR process in late-july August. Once the PHAP accepts then they will notify the Host site and begin that process. Your host site may reach out to you before Oct to get a resume and get to know you, or they may not.

"Mid-June to Late-August Offers will be made to selected candidates by CDC’s Human Resources Office and include notification of assigned geographic placement and agency name. Note: Host site location is NOT negotiable because associates must be placed in geographic and program areas CDC determines to have the greatest need."

I loved the PHAP program. I gained so much experience working in a health department that can be really hard to come by especially without a Masters. Often, local gov't are underfunded so having extra staff if such a huge help for them. Some people have a misconception that you are completing work for the CDC, but really you are working on projects at your host site. The CDC is basically just your HR person (pay, leave, etc.) and your support system in the form of a learning curriculum. It is really up to you to take advantage of opportunities at your host site. Some people will refer to you as an intern, but you are a full time paid employee so own it! Since everyone is placed all over the country I can't speak to exactly what your experience would be, but I am sure it will be great! Also, be comfortable with the pay going into the job. It is very clear online what the pay is and if you are nervous about the pay don't accept! This is a highly competitive program and taking a spot from someone who really wants it is not fair. If you leave the program early, the CDC will not replace your position so the host site is now down a staff member. I moved cities after my fellowship ended and the program 100% helped me to get the positions I am in now. My employer was familiar with the program and hired me based off the skills I gained from the program. This program can make it slightly easier to get a job at the CDC but it is not a funnel program into the CDC. I would recommend not going in with the expectations of getting a CDC job afterwards.

With regards to leaving early, what if it were to be only about 2 months early, to start grad school? Is that frowned upon?

With regards to leaving early, what if it were to be only about 2 months early, to start grad school? Is that frowned upon?

Great question! That is totally fine! I actually left two months early myself. As long as you stay until the final training at the CDC, which is about 6 months from the end, you will have "completed" the program. They do not advocate that you leave early but many do because they find jobs at the CDC or elsewhere or start graduate school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Great question! That is totally fine! I actually left two months early myself. As long as you stay until the final training at the CDC, which is about 6 months from the end, you will have "completed" the program. They do not advocate that you leave early but many do because they find jobs at the CDC or elsewhere or start graduate school.

Awesome, thank you!

when we find out who officially got in, we should start a fb page or groupme!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all! I am a 2014 PHAP so not quite in the know anymore about the program. However, my new place of work has applied for a PHAP and we just received confirmation Friday that we have moved on to the final step of the process. Essentially, this means that a PHAP accepts the position and passes all HR requirements. I know you are all very anxious (and we as host sites are too) but you should be hearing back soon. The HR process takes 1-2 months which is why they say final decisions will be completed in August. You are not official/final until the HR process is complete.

The PHAP class of 2013 found out if they were accepted about 2 weeks before the start time. Many of them check into a hotel for the first two weeks while they got an apartment and settled in. So regardless of when you find out, you are in a much better position than they were! Your first few days in the program you will probably just be completing HR requirements for your host site so it won't be too overwhelming to start. Then about a month later you will attend CDC training in Atlanta.

Thank you for the information!

Hoping this Friday will be the day, if not for me, then hopefully for others!! If I am lucky enough to get an offer my plans are to move to the location as quickly as possible to allow time to settle a bit as well as allow time for my husband to find a job while he finishes his online program. My husband is/was in the military and when we would move we did as much research online then stayed in a hotel at the new place until we could actually view rentals... it may seem stressful but it really isn't that bad, even if just a bit uncomfortable in the moment of it. Whatever happens, it will be life experiences that you can reflect back on!

For those who do receive a call or email, would it be possible for you to do like in previous cycles to provide:
- Where you're from
- Where you're placed
- Whether that was your top region of choice or one of your regions period
- And if you can remember in all the excitement lol, the time that you received notification

Thank you so much in advance! We're almost there you guys!

Last edited:
2016 PHAP here. I wouldn't start worrying about relocation costs just yet, but if you want to be proactive (and good for you because I sure wasn't), then estimate first and last months rent at an apartment ($800-1100 depending where you move), security deposit ($250+) cost of a U-Haul plus miles, gas, food, etcetera. I flew down to look at places for a weekend before I moved (factor in hotel + plane ticket). Total, I think I spent about $3000 for the entire move.

As far as leaving early, they do not recommend it, but the schedule doesn't exactly coincide best with graduate/professional school orientation times. At least two in my class are leaving for medical school. I've heard rumors of them adjusting the start schedules in the future to better coordinate with academic schedules, but I haven't heard more about that progress.

Any questions you have feel free to post on here or DM me directly. We're excited to have y'all join us!

2016 PHAP here. I wouldn't start worrying about relocation costs just yet, but if you want to be proactive (and good for you because I sure wasn't), then estimate first and last months rent at an apartment ($800-1100 depending where you move), security deposit ($250+) cost of a U-Haul plus miles, gas, food, etcetera. I flew down to look at places for a weekend before I moved (factor in hotel + plane ticket). Total, I think I spent about $3000 for the entire move.

As far as leaving early, they do not recommend it, but the schedule doesn't exactly coincide best with graduate/professional school orientation times. At least two in my class are leaving for medical school. I've heard rumors of them adjusting the start schedules in the future to better coordinate with academic schedules, but I haven't heard more about that progress.

Any questions you have feel free to post on here or DM me directly. We're excited to have y'all join us!
Thank you for your insight on relocations and moving expenses. I wanted to make sure that I had enough saved, but it sounds like I have more than enough. If offered a position, I think I'll visit the area just to get a feel and do some sightseeing and possibly look ok at apartments with my family.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, so how does being a FEMA reservist affect the PHAP position. I understand the whole USERRA , but I would assumrle one would benefit from terminating their reserve position to do PHAP for 2 years.

Any opinions? Would it be frowned upon and maybe considered not completing if one was deployed during the 2 yr program?

Hmmmm, so how does being a FEMA reservist affect the PHAP position. I understand the whole USERRA , but I would assumrle one would benefit from terminating their reserve position to do PHAP for 2 years.

Any opinions? Would it be frowned upon and maybe considered not completing if one was deployed during the 2 yr program?
I don't know much about it, so please take my opinion with a grain (or mountain) of salt lol. But I feel like that's something PHAP would understand as it is a legitimate reason, so you wouldn't be frowned upon or denied a recommendation. Depending on the deployment and when it would occur (hypothetically), then I don't think you would complete PHAP in terms of the competencies that program has. You would just have whatever experience you gained. That's just my perspective though.

I don't know much about it, so please take my opinion with a grain (or mountain) of salt lol. But I feel like that's something PHAP would understand as it is a legitimate reason, so you wouldn't be frowned upon or denied a recommendation. Depending on the deployment and when it would occur (hypothetically), then I don't think you would complete PHAP in terms of the competencies that program has. You would just have whatever experience you gained. That's just my perspective though.

Thank you for your response. I have been just trying to figure things out with this late PHAP notice. What to continue, start, and finish etc

How are you guys prioritizing other offers to go back to school or job offers? This is getting a little late in the summer for me to keep holding on so I'm curious what your thoughts are...

How are you guys prioritizing other offers to go back to school or job offers? This is getting a little late in the summer for me to keep holding on so I'm curious what your thoughts are...
I'm honestly trying to figure out how. I just started my second year of my MPH and I don't mind putting it off to pursue PHAP, I just don't want to start my fall semester and either have to withdraw from school and possibly owe money or mess up my loans OR have to turn down PHAP.