2017 Pathology ERAS/NRMP Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wishing I had some contact from the others to help settle the list. Has anyone had contact with the potential Residency since completing their interviews?
Do you mean you wish you knew how they were ranking you or you wish you could get more info? The former doesn't really matter since the match algorithm favors the applicants over the programs. The latter - does your school have a database of where recent alumni are? Any recent grads in the path residencies you're interested in that you could reach out to? Maybe faculty at your school have people they know at the programs who would be willing to answer questions? You could even see if you can find people who went to your undergrad who are at the programs you applied to and reach out to them.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean you wish you knew how they were ranking you or you wish you could get more info? The former doesn't really matter since the match algorithm favors the applicants over the programs. The latter - does your school have a database of where recent alumni are? Any recent grads in the path residencies you're interested in that you could reach out to? Maybe faculty at your school have people they know at the programs who would be willing to answer questions? You could even see if you can find people who went to your undergrad who are at the programs you applied to and reach out to them.
Thank you for your kind reply! I think reaching out to recent grads is a great idea - thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone know which programs require Step 2 CS in order to rank you? Hard to find the information online. I applied mostly in the Northeast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know which programs require Step 2 CS in order to rank you? Hard to find the information online. I applied mostly in the Northeast.

No clue. Hasn't been mentioned at any of the places I've been. Might be worth emailing your programs to see what they say.

Any words of wisdom on applying/interviewing for a current MSTP MS3 heavily considering pathology?

Both general advice to any potential applicant and any specific advice given my stats are appreciated.

248 step 1, only 3 pubs during the PhD but all 1st author. Including prior pubs it's 10 total, 5 first author. The rotation grades I have so far have been in the 2nd quartile of my class with 3/4 shelf exams ~90th percentile nationally.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I kind of flaked out and haven't posted anything for a while, got a bit overwhelmed with interviews, etc. I would like to provide an update though to help folks matching next year (@MSTP18) better know what to expect.

My application in a nutshell was: MD/PhD / Step 1 263 / ~8 pubs, 3 first-author, some high profile. Took Step 2 CK and CS kind of late, in November, and just found out I passed (not with shining colors, but hopefully this doesn't matter as much as Step 1). I applied to 14 programs, all the top ones, got interviews invites at all of them, will go on 13 total. I received advice here on SDN that I should have applied to more programs but I'm glad I didn't. In fact, when I have gone on interviews and told people I'm interviewing at >10 programs most PDs are shocked and say that is way to many. In hindsight, I agree with them since this is EXHAUSTING and likely unnecessary. After about 5 they all start to blend together, and since I was going back to back I haven't been able to follow up as well with each program as I probably should have.

Overall, it has been fun meeting famous people in the field and so on but I am definitely looking forward to spending some quality time at home. Just my two cents. Good luck to everyone! May we all find the best fit :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have received not-so-subtle hints from several programs that it is critical to let the program I decide to rank #1 know that they are my first choice. Some have even said that, if I let them know they are my #1, they could provide a letter of intent for purposes of looking for housing, etc. I'm not sure how much to trust this, and have seen examples in other specialties where people where were told they were "ranked-to-match" and then didn't match at that program. Any thoughts from current or past applicants?

I have received not-so-subtle hints from several programs that it is critical to let the program I decide to rank #1 know that they are my first choice. Some have even said that, if I let them know they are my #1, they could provide a letter of intent for purposes of looking for housing, etc. I'm not sure how much to trust this, and have seen examples in other specialties where people where were told they were "ranked-to-match" and then didn't match at that program. Any thoughts from current or past applicants?

I've definitely had a few PDs/APDs say to let them know if planning to rank them highly. I was probably planning to wait til I've settled on my list to let them know (just in case).

From some of the comments I've heard my program director make during this interview season, I feel it is more important to send letters of interest to programs you intend to rank highly that may be outside your home state or region. For example, your medical school is in California and you really dig a program in Ohio (or anywhere in "fly over country"). That program might assume you want to stay coastal and rank you a bit lower because they don't like their chances of matching you and for pride's sake want to get matches as high on their ROL as possible.

Some programs will send a "ranked to match letter," meaning that if their program has 5 PGY-1 spots, you are anywhere from #1 to #5 on their list, and if you rank that program as your #1, will match there. My program did that, and as mentioned above, it gives you a good reason to start looking for places to live. It did not really give any peace of mind, as there is a bit of paranoia about being lied to. I think it is the candidates that lie though--we received 30 or so letters from candidates last year saying they were ranking us #1, but only ended up matching 3 of them out of 9 available spots.

So, by all means, butter those programs up. Just make sure you are only providing information about your intentions, and not asking for anything in return!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,
Does anyone have any input on these 2 programs: U of Rochester and UVM? Are they relatively equal caliber/ is there a significant difference? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi All,
Does anyone have any input on these 2 programs: U of Rochester and UVM? Are they relatively equal caliber/ is there a significant difference? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I don't know anything about Rochester, but I am a UVM alum and think they are amazing. Obviously, I am biased, but I thought Burlington is a great place to live especially if you have or want a family. The faculty are from and have good relationships with some of the top places in the country and the teaching is excellent.

Certified my match list yesterday! So excited to find out about my match. I'd be pretty excited to go anywhere on my list; but, obviously my top 3 would be my favorites. After Feb. 22, would anyone be willing to share their rank list?

help ranking these 3:
1. Icahn
2.loyola
3. UIC

anybody care to share top 3 choices? getting excited and nervous, 2 weeks away!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody care to share top 3 choices? getting excited and nervous, 2 weeks away!!!
You first :)
But seriously:
St Louis (wash u)
Nashville (Vanderbilt)
Baltimore (johns Hopkins)

nice! I put 1) Cornell 2) Stanford 3) UChicago

you too!! still super nervous ahh :)

Matched!!! Friday can't come quick enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to everyone getting their assignments this Friday! I'm eager to get on with the next 4 years of residency (and then apparently endless fellowships because no jobs, lol).

Almost there. I can't wait to find out my future destination. Good luck to all of you!

Good luck to everyone getting their assignments this Friday! I'm eager to get on with the next 4 years of residency (and then apparently endless fellowships because no jobs, lol).

You'll be the most educated bar tender in the world.

congrats to everyone who matched!

Question for you all though - what's the etiquette rescheduling and/or canceling aways? Would it be bad to start applying on VSAS and then either have to change because my schedule doesn't work out the way I wanted or potentially cancel because I decide to do medicine instead of path (I guess in that scenario does it matter at all since I'm no longer applying to path?) Thanks for the help!

Didn't match (had 7 interviews, ranked 6) but SOAPed and got a spot :)

I switched specialties after doing most of an intern year in EM, so definitely not a traditional applicant and I'm thrilled I get to start my new career this summer!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the match everyone! Looking forward to eventually working with some of you.

Didn't match (had 7 interviews, ranked 6) but SOAPed and got a spot :)

I switched specialties after doing most of an intern year in EM, so definitely not a traditional applicant and I'm thrilled I get to start my new career this summer!

Followed some of your posts in the SOAP thread, I imagine the SOAPing process is brutal, happy to hear you were able to get a spot!

Matched Barnes Jewish in St. Louis in CP Pathology from MD/PhD at UAMS!!! Super excited to be going to such a great facility.

congrats to everyone who matched!

Question for you all though - what's the etiquette rescheduling and/or canceling aways? Would it be bad to start applying on VSAS and then either have to change because my schedule doesn't work out the way I wanted or potentially cancel because I decide to do medicine instead of path (I guess in that scenario does it matter at all since I'm no longer applying to path?) Thanks for the help!

From my experience (applying to 2 aways and ultimately taking one), most places have a central VSAS office which processes your application first, and which may not be in very good/close communication with the department in question especially in the early steps. Just because you cancel or reschedule one, doesn't necessarily mean you burn any bridges with the program. As a matter of fact, I matched into the program that I applied to and withdrew my VSAS app from (ironically, my #1). But of course, YMMV. I think in a worst-case scenario you irritate the program coordinator in a very superficial way.

EDIT: And by office, I mean probably a single office/admin person, lol

Last edited:
Any chance you guys could post the actual days of your interviews? Trying to plan out electives and such and would like to have a sense as to when the actual interviews are happening at a bunch of these programs. Thanks!