2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@sunshinefl - that's a yes, right? :p that'd be great fun... will treat you to a celebratory "something or other"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else struggling with this weird paranoia that your acceptance will be rescinded at any moment? Lol idk what's wrong with me but I'm convinced they'll realize there's something wrong with their decision!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
apparently, me either; thought Nova was Gulf side, not FLL/Miami :(

Well, given that you can smell the Everglades from Nova, your assumption isn't too unreasonable.

Anyone else struggling with this weird paranoia that your acceptance will be rescinded at any moment? Lol idk what's wrong with me but I'm convinced they'll realize there's something wrong with their decision!
yes! Why is that?!

one alternate list, 9 more complete silence, many many rejections

Contemplating one final re-take of the mcat, but dreading it because it would be so draining. again.

very frustrating

Sorry to hear this :( Stalked your post history a bit and it looks like you got a 509 on retake? I don't think the MCAT is what's sinking you, and retaking likely wouldn't improve your chances unless you could score 520+.

Sorry to hear this :( Stalked your post history a bit and it looks like you got a 509 on retake? I don't think the MCAT is what's sinking you, and retaking likely wouldn't improve your chances unless you could score 520+.

at this point, I can't think of anything else I could improve! But I know that re-taking is a risk if I don't MAJORLY improve

literally - I feel like I have done everything!

If you got interviews then its the interview.

Only 1 II though...

at this point, I can't think of anything else I could improve! But I know that re-taking is a risk if I don't MAJORLY improve

literally - I feel like I have done everything!

You had a 3.6 SMP, but what is your total cumulative undergrad GPA? How much volunteering and clinical exposure? Did you consider applying DO+MD?

You have a ~32.5 on the old MCAT. Not stellar, but should be good enough to get you into an MD school somewhere, and should make you an outstanding DO candidate assuming your GPA is >3.0.

Only 1 II though...

You had a 3.6 SMP, but what is your total cumulative undergrad GPA? How much volunteering and clinical exposure? Did you consider applying DO+MD?

You have a ~32.5 on the old MCAT. Not stellar, but should be good enough to get you into an MD school somewhere, and should make you an outstanding DO candidate assuming your GPA is >3.0.
Is a 509 a 32.5? I thought that was a 513?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 1 II though...

ugpa was slightly under 3 (this I know is a major red flag, but in all of the credits since I have not gotten anything under a B+ in any course)

loads of volunteering - consistent for the past 10 years working with the homeless and mentoring at-risk high school students

I have a significant amount of clinical exposure, and actually work in a position where I have 10 patients under my direct care
Applied both DO+MD

ugpa was slightly under 3 (this I know is a major red flag, but in all of the credits since I have not gotten anything under a B+ in any course)

loads of volunteering - consistent for the past 10 years working with the homeless and mentoring at-risk high school students

I have a significant amount of clinical exposure, and actually work in a position where I have 10 patients under my direct care
Applied both DO+MD

You have a publication too, right? I can't fathom how you didn't get any DO love. I feel like it should be possible. Don't lose hope!

509 is 82nd pecentile. 30 was 79%, 31 was 83%... So actually I guess it's closer to a 31. Either way, reasonable for lower tier MD and crushing it as far as DO goes...

513 would be 90% = ~32.5. So, errr, yeah, never mind you're right.

Last edited:

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I won't tell you how many times I reread the acceptance letter that first week, just to make sure I didn't misread it.

509 is a 30.5 according to efle's MCAT chart. I've seen some others with different numbers, but most have a 508 as roughly equal to a 30. https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

I can't believe the MCAT is the thing keeping you out. It's above the average for every DO school. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't gotten more DO attention.

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I won't tell you how many times I reread the acceptance letter that first week, just to make sure I didn't misread it.

509 is a 30.5 according to efle's MCAT chart. I've seen some others with different numbers, but most have a 508 as roughly equal to a 30. https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

I can't believe the MCAT is the thing keeping you out. It's above the average for every DO school. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't gotten more DO attention.
Did @tetley apply DO?

I just went on a withdrawal spree :eek: ...... Withdrew from 7 DO programs that I definitely wouldn't attend over my current acceptances. Only one I left in silence is KCU.... and they said they filled their interview slots months ago. Plus, I probably wouldn't choose them over Nova and DMU, but I liked them enough to attend a hypothetical II to find out for sure.

I initially wasn't feeling that way, but now that I withdrew from 7 DO programs at once (!!!!!!!) I'm suddenly like "What are you doing? What if something goes wrong with your acceptances?!?!?!?!?" :barf:

I'm right there too - perpetually in fear that I screwed something up on my app and they yank everything away from me. It would be my luck - just like this whole having to take another class thing. Argh. Apparently though the feeling doesn't go away. It just changes into I'm going to get kicked out I don't belong here they made a mistake. Or so I've heard. Also non-trad love for my 1k post!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
@tetley Do you mind posting all your stat again?? Don't leave anything out. So we can help you. With your stat, you should have gottent some love from DOs even MD. Story n=1 , my stat is below yours and I got a lot of love this cycle granted I applied to many schools (Almost all DOs and some MDs)
We need:
cugpa
sgpa
LOR (are you sure all the letters are good?)
EC ( did you shadow DO.._
PS ( did you have others proofread?)
If you're under cugpa under 3.0, what's your last 60-90 hours like. Is there a trend?
When did you apply?
Your school list choice
Work experience....

Reactions: 1 users
@tetley Do you mind posting all your stat again?? Don't leave anything out. So we can help you. With your stat, you should have gottent some love from DOs even MD. Story n=1 , my stat is below yours and I got a lot of love this cycle granted I applied to many schools (Almost all DOs and some MDs)
We need:
cugpa
sgpa
If you're under cugpa under 3.0, what's your last 60-90 hours like. Is there a trend?
When did you apply?
Your school list choice
Work experience....
I agree. I wanted to be helpful, but I didn't have enough information. I mean, I didn't even think he had applied DO until I asked. @tetley if you would like some input from us, we are willing. If you just post on here to vent, that's okay too and you aren't obligated.

We need:
cugpa
sgpa
When did you apply?
Your school list choice
Work experience....

c/s was 2.8 in ug
7 LOR (only 5 submitted), 2 MD, and I filtered out two people who I looked over and they really missed the mark on the "why this person would fit medicine"
shadowed for 4 months full-time
I have taught, worked with a lot of underserved communities, done a ton of work that is directly med related, and some other stuff that was not but was very interesting
PS reviewed by someone on an adcom
my last 90 hours were a 3.7 all science
applied in june/july

at this point, I'm just a little fatigued, so I am going to meet up with my mentor next week to do some strategy planning to see if I can salvage and/or start plotting my reapplication

c/s was 2.8 in ug
7 LOR (only 5 submitted), 2 MD, and I filtered out two people who I looked over and they really missed the mark on the "why this person would fit medicine"
I have taught, worked with a lot of underserved communities, done a ton of work that is directly med related, and some other stuff that was not but was very interesting
applied in june/july

at this point, I'm just a little fatigued, so I am going to meet up with my mentor next week to do some strategy planning to see if I can salvage and/or start plotting my reapplication

I am shocked that you did not get in.

c/s was 2.8 in ug
applied in june/july

I agree with @amber80 . With your stat, you should be able to get in this cycle especially DO schools. You did all the right things I know. So I don't really know. Maybe my mentor @Goro , @gyngyn or @DrMidlife can help you. Out of my realm.

MCAT score? School list??
c/s was 2.8 in ug
applied in june/july

Matched to TCOM. Had a 2.95 gpa going into my DIY post bac. Got all a's at a 4 yr, raised my overall gpa to 3.21, and science to 3.7. 508 balanced mcat. strong Lors from Ochem, biochem, and former employer. I did not have a do or physician letter. Also only had 80 hours of shadowing on my app, but I had scribing on my planned activities. They followed up on that post interview.

I majored in finance in undergrad.

MCAT score? School list??
509, all DO except the deep south, and 40 MD that were within (what I thought) was my window of qualification. The only reaches I had were ones from the reinvention thread

I am suspecting poorly written essays, a really bad LOR, or possible IAs?
no IA!
There is only one LOR I didn't read, but that was from my PI in grad school and they have written quite a few.
I got the stamp of approval on my essays from my mentor, but she did say that as a reinventor I really should have gone over a 512 to make my case pop.

at this point, idk. I think I am just a little frustrated, but I have to keep my eyes on the long-term goal of medicine. I think sitting down and going through all aspects of my application will help.

509, all DO except the deep south, and 40 MD that were within (what I thought) was my window of qualification. The only reaches I had were ones from the reinvention thread

The 509 was a retake though, right? How many times did you take it and what were the previous scores?

Did you seriously complete 40 MD secondaries + DO secondaries? Seems borderline not possible to do a good job on that many essays.

at this point, idk. I think I am just a little frustrated, but I have to keep my eyes on the long-term goal of medicine. I think sitting down and going through all aspects of my application will help.

I feel you and know that you are definitely not alone. Early on I was feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed with a shiny 521 on the MCAT, but at this point I know I could very well end up with 0 acceptances by the of the cycle. It would be nice if things work out like I'd hoped/planned, but if they don't I keep reminding myself that many aspects of my life are actually going quite well and to focus on those. If I don't get in this time around I am planning to take a break from the forums for a bit, not reapply immediately, and instead carefully reevaluate my plan of what I hope to accomplish in life and how I might be able to get there. Then I'll be back seeking advice :) Persistence pays off in the end, and I have no doubt that that will work out in your favor eventually tetley. Best of luck!

I feel you and know that you are definitely not alone. Early on I was feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed with a shiny 521 on the MCAT, but at this point I know I could very well end up with 0 acceptances by the of the cycle. It would be nice if things work out like I'd hoped/planned, but if they don't I keep reminding myself that many aspects of my life are actually going quite well and to focus on those. If I don't get in this time around I am planning to take a break from the forums for a bit, not reapply immediately, and instead carefully reevaluate my plan of what I hope to accomplish in life and how I might be able to get there. Then I'll be back seeking advice :) Persistence pays off in the end, and I have no doubt that that will work out in your favor eventually tetley. Best of luck!

There's definitely lots of us in the same situation. Having spent the last few years working up to this application just to be staring down the barrel of another year (or more) of application purgatory is not where we thought we would be, but the reality is that our applications were overshadowed by others that were simply more attractive to the ADCOMS. Best of luck in figuring out what that missing piece of the application is and for the upcoming cycle. I'll be right there with you.

Also just to chime in on one thing you posted; things you have planned mean less than zero to adcoms - until you actually do it, they don't care. This was a point brough up in Q&A sessions at 3 different schools I participated in.

And 80 hours shadowing is plenty - the whole idea is that you know what you are getting yourself into. At some point, you really aren't learning that any more. It's not about getting medical knowledge - that's something that often trips people up. You'll learn that in medical school. Shadowing is about seeing what the profession is.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Can you guys recommend somebody on SDN that would be willing to help me do a mock interview? I have one last interview coming up and I haven't done any mock interviews.

Can you guys recommend somebody on SDN that would be willing to help me do a mock interview? I have one last interview coming up and I haven't done any mock interviews.

Pm me if you want to do a skype one - I still have my questions from the ones I previously have done

full disclosure before the ranty post: I am lucky enough to have an acceptance in hand currently.

However, as I watch rejections come out for random schools I'm still waiting on hearing from pre and post II, I can't help but feel like a sitting duck. Anyone else with me?

Now that the cycle is nearing its close, rejections (especially pre II) are inevitable, and the steady stream, about one a week, I've been getting is really starting to bum me out!!

Posting in the hopes of finding some comradery in this feeling because I, for one, have no idea why these rejections are starting to really get to me. Maybe the whole not knowing when the hammer's coming down thing?

I'm sure it would help to stay off SDN, but meh, my job is starting to bore me more and more now that I know I'm shorttiming it! lol

full disclosure before the ranty post: I am lucky enough to have an acceptance in hand currently.

However, as I watch rejections come out for random schools I'm still waiting on hearing from pre and post II, I can't help but feel like a sitting duck. Anyone else with me?

Now that the cycle is nearing its close, rejections (especially pre II) are inevitable, and the steady stream, about one a week, I've been getting is really starting to bum me out!!

Posting in the hopes of finding some comradery in this feeling because I, for one, have no idea why these rejections are starting to really get to me. Maybe the whole not knowing when the hammer's coming down thing?

I'm sure it would help to stay off SDN, but meh, my job is starting to bore me more and more now that I know I'm shorttiming it! lol

I don't know if this will help you keep things in perspective but most schools you apply to will send you a pre-II rejection, unless you are well above the average candidate.
And this is about the time where many schools will start sending out those rejections as hey near their interview season.
I understand the boredom part and not being motivated at your job. Also if you are waiting on a post-II decision at a school that you would choose over your current acceptance then it can be hard to plan your life. I understand the anxiety that goes with that. I hope the remaining decisions come through fast for you so you can enjoy the remaining months before the year and years of busy medical training ahead.

The first cycle I applied (and didn't get in) I totally felt this way, and each rejection was harder than the last.
This cycle though, with 2 acceptances (1 that is great fit both me and my SO), I couldn't care less.
Would it be nice and ego-boosting to be asked out by more med schools? Sure. Would I pick any of the still-silent ones over my current acceptance? Nope. So, while I'm letting all the rest of my apps ride (out of curiosity about who else, if anybody, will bite), I'm not bothered by the rejections.

I guess it comes down to being happy with the one I've got though. If you're not happy with your acceptance, than I see how this feeling could creep in. At the end of the day though, you'll be a doctor. And hopefully you didn't apply to any schools you really didn't like. So maybe start making moving/housing/new life plans, and you'll get more enthused about the one you have and worry less about the ones you don't.

Not much to do about the job being boring though :/ Just have to suck that one up.

I've gotten a way better turn out this go around (no invites last year), but I'm still confused by some schools that are neither rejecting me or inviting me. Some are repeats from last year, so I'm expecting to get rejected around the same time (march), others have had lots of activity while I just sit on the sidelines. I just want them to get it over with!

That must be tough. Since you already have an acceptance in hand, consider withdrawing from your remaining schools. That way, they will be unable to reject you.

That must be tough. Since you already have an acceptance in hand, consider withdrawing from your remaining schools. That way, they will be unable to reject you.
Aren't you clever? :rolleyes:

I've gotten a way better turn out this go around (no invites last year), but I'm still confused by some schools that are neither rejecting me or inviting me. Some are repeats from last year, so I'm expecting to get rejected around the same time (march), others have had lots of activity while I just sit on the sidelines. I just want them to get it over with!
The first cycle I applied (and didn't get in) I totally felt this way, and each rejection was harder than the last.
This cycle though, with 2 acceptances (1 that is great fit both me and my SO), I couldn't care less.
Would it be nice and ego-boosting to be asked out by more med schools? Sure. Would I pick any of the still-silent ones over my current acceptance? Nope. So, while I'm letting all the rest of my apps ride (out of curiosity about who else, if anybody, will bite), I'm not bothered by the rejections.

I guess it comes down to being happy with the one I've got though. If you're not happy with your acceptance, than I see how this feeling could creep in. At the end of the day though, you'll be a doctor. And hopefully you didn't apply to any schools you really didn't like. So maybe start making moving/housing/new life plans, and you'll get more enthused about the one you have and worry less about the ones you don't.

Not much to do about the job being boring though :/ Just have to suck that one up.
I don't know if this will help you keep things in perspective but most schools you apply to will send you a pre-II rejection, unless you are well above the average candidate.
And this is about the time where many schools will start sending out those rejections as hey near their interview season.
I understand the boredom part and not being motivated at your job. Also if you are waiting on a post-II decision at a school that you would choose over your current acceptance then it can be hard to plan your life. I understand the anxiety that goes with that. I hope the remaining decisions come through fast for you so you can enjoy the remaining months before the year and years of busy medical training ahead.

Well, all that is "wrong" is a 'first world problem,' but as non-trads, I'm sure there are some who can relate to the anxiety that comes with such a large change. Its a little bit more difficult to move your life across country when you are an "established adult."

Coupled with the fact that yes, I'm more than happy with my acceptance, but my post-II decisions are also really exciting prospects, I actually don't know where I'll be come fall. So its made it a bit difficult for my loved ones to adjust and plan their lives as well.

Its a stressful time, and the "unknown" of when decisions are coming has gotten to me, but these are all really great suggestions-- I'll definitely take y'alls lead and remain on the positive side of my situation! It is overall one of the most positive things that's happened to me in life ;) so can't really complain! It'll all settle as it should, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Received my third interview invite today. None of my interviews have actually happened yet (first one is in two weeks) and being so late in the season I've been stressing that I'll end up getting stuck on a waitlist, but now that I have three opportunities to interview, I'm feeling a bit better about my chances.

Reactions: 7 users
You can only control what you can control, so go rock those interviews!

Received my second post-interview rejection today. No acceptances yet. Cant say it feels good, but I am glad I know. Like @sammiesings mention previously, waiting is a different game for 'established adults' whose significant others or dependents will be impacted by the move.
I will now try to gather myself so I can make the chicken fried rice I have planned for today dinner.

Totally agree. Having no idea where my wife and I, along with our two 115# Bernese mountain dogs are going to live next year is very stressful, especially when you own a home and have to take all that into consideration. Do we sell, do we rent, or are we not having to move? Is she going to have to find a new job, even though she got a nice raise this week? Are we going to do "short" long distance and live apart. The stress seems to never end.

Reactions: 5 users