2017 Naplex - Prep, Tips, Exam Day, Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lionheart555

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I thought I would share my personal experience for the 2017 NAPLEX since I know I was on here quite often reading people's comments (and at times wishing there were more specifics or just more thoughts overall). So here is my rather long blurb on how I prepped, what to expect exam day, and some other general thoughts and good to know things throughout your NAPLEX experience.

What is not in here - Specific questions, offer to sell/provide any material, specific exam breakdown beyond a generalization of topics and question types

Outline
I. Exam General Stats
II. Study Material
III. Preparation
IV. Exam Day
V. Post Test and Final Thoughts

I. Exam Stats
Naplex Score
- Triple digits
PreNaplex x 1- Slightly higher than my final NAPLEX score although I went into that exam unfairly knowing the types of questions on there already

My Exam Breakdown (Ish)
Roughly 30-40% calculations questions
Lots of HIV
~ 10% biostatistics
~ 5% Anemia questions
~ 5% OTC Questions
~ 5% ceutics type questions (compounding related)
Rest of exam was pretty heavy on infectious disease (ID bugs, choose empiric regimen mainly), and chronic diseases (mostly on diabetes, CKD, HTN, and HL)
~ 5-10 random I have no idea, I've never heard of this type of question
Surprisingly Absent - No epilepsy, only 1 oncology, very little COPD/asthma inhaler specific questions

Question Types
55-65% Multiple Choice
20-25% Enter in an answer (calculations)
5-10% Select all that apply
~5% Were other format (select hot spot, rank order)

II. Study Materials
-
RxPrep 2017 Book
- RxPrep Test Bank
- PreNaplex x 1
- Friends

Comments: Overall, I think the RxPrep book did a great job of summarizing and categorizing all the topics you definitely should have an idea about for the exam. Obviously it's an 1100 page book and nobody is going to remember 1100 pages of drug information. Focus on the bold things. Focus even more on the chronic diseases (HTN, Diabetes, CKD) as well as a healthy amount of time on big topics like epilepsy, inhaler use, infectious disease, and HIV/oncology.

I would say that the test bank is essential. I don't think I would have done as well without it. That said, I found the PreNaplex exam by NABP to be much a much better study and helped me understand the exam format over the RxPrep questions. You can take the NABP PreNaplex twice I believe and they have 2 practice test banks with different questions. I was fortunate enough to only take it once but see all the questions and I definitely saw some of the questions or similar on the NAPLEX.

I mention friends because I had people quizzing me or helping explain topics I didn't know. Also, I only used RxPrep but I had friends who used other resources (not sure which ones) and I distinctly remember certain topics we talked about that RxPrep did not emphasize but DID show up on my NAPLEX.

III. Preparation
Time:
~ 1 month - 2 weeks to read and re-write the entire RxPrep book. I wrote the whole thing into summary format in a way I could review later. Ended up condensing 1100 pages into <150 (over 2 x 75 page notebooks). The remaining 2 weeks was spent on reviewing pre naplex material questions and practicing daily calculations and RxPrep test bank questions.

I took my PreNaplex one week before the actual exam and walked out with a really high score. I had read that the score is usually improved on the actual NAPLEX so that was nice. Although, I did end up doing slightly worse on the actual NAPLEX (not by much though). I highly recommend doing 30 minutes - 1 hour of calculations every day if you can. I used RxPrep Test bank, RxPrep book, and SDN 120 to practice.

IV. Exam Day
While you're taking your exam, here are a few things to keep in mind that helped me.

- Many questions are case based. To proceed to a next question, you must scroll through the entire case (left/right, up/down, sometimes there are mini windows you need scroll through as well) before the exam will allow you to advance.

- They may or may not give you a handheld calculator but you can always ask them if this is available. If not, there is an online calculator.

- I believe the two scheduled breaks are determined based on time left in exam. I finished my exam in <4 hours and I was only offered one break at about question #170 something. The test paused and asked if I wanted to use my break. I never received an offer for a second break. I suggest taking the break if you receive it. You do not need to take 10 minutes. That said, after 10 minutes, the timer restarts so make sure you are back in time.

- There will be things on the exam you do not know. Don't worry about it. Take a best guess if you have an idea, or just blow through it. I had 2 questions I never even heard of the disease/condition for. What can you do? I kept a tally of types of questions while I was taking the exam to have an idea of how I was doing (internally at least).

- Redo EVERY calculation 2-3 times. You do have time to do this. Work backwards and see if you get the original values you started with too. Read very carefully for rounding instructions as well. It may be tenths, hundredths, whole number, tens...

- I personally believe it is best to read the questions first before the case. Some questions are so straightforward you don't need 95% of the case to answer it. If the questions asks for a best regimen, or if the answers suggest changing or considering to change regimen or make some other pharmacotherapeutic decision, then definitely make sure you read the case in full. Otherwise, I just found myself getting confused every time a case popped up. Do see note above about scrolling through cases.

- Above said, DO glance at the patient case info. It is not always obvious when the case changes to another case. You'll be working on patient 1 who has 5 problems and answer 3-4 questions when suddenly the case changes to patient 2 but you may not realize it. So double check that your case is still the same even when advancing through questions.

- Immediately afterwards,
go buy yourself something nice to eat/drink. 4-6 hours or however long you spend in there is no joke. And no food is allowed inside although I think you can store in a locker.

-
As I understand, score results for some states are not posted by NABP per the BOP of that state so check NABP's page and they will tell you if your state is one of those. If you are, I have no idea when you will get your result but I am sure there are state specific threads that discuss that. If your state does allow NABP to post, I am seeing a 2-4 day turnaround time on average from everyone I know.

Rumor tip: As I understand, if after your NABP registration changes to closed AND you can re-register for the NAPLEX, it means you most likely passed. This is because you cannot register for NAPLEX after failure for a certain period (45 days?). There are some threads around that talk more in depth about this. So for those especially that are in states that mail out results, this may be an indication you passed. So far I have not found any evidence this is false.

Final Thoughts - Honestly, the exam is not bad. Do a lot of practice problems. Calculations calculations calculations until your hand hurts and you can do problems without a second thought. Understand the biostatistics since there are definitely quite a few questions on calculating ARR, RRR, NNT. Trust your gut while taking the exam. If selecting regimen, or if answers are suggesting a pharmacotherapeutic change, always check allergies and DDI on current medications. Know a little bit of everything (everyone will get a different exam). Everyone I spoke to had different exam breakdowns with many people not even getting a certain topic that others did. You just don't know what you will get.

GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
Beautiful. Thanks for such a very detailed detail.

And congrats on your triple score.

How is the on-screen calculator? I have read older posts that it is an emulated TI-30XS. How was your experience and did you have any trouble?

Beautiful. Thanks for such a very detailed detail.

And congrats on your triple score.

Thank you!! Glad you found it helpful!

How is the on-screen calculator? I have read older posts that it is an emulated TI-30XS. How was your experience and did you have any trouble?

I ended up using the handheld calculator. I was lucky in that all of my calculations were simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. No other functions were needed. I'm not sure if others had questions requiring square root or log functions though for some of the calculation questions.

This post is really helpful! Did you use SDN 120 questions or prontopass math? Were they helpful? My sister weakness is calculation.

..on a side note, I am getting 2017 pharmacy charts for my sister. Anybody want to get it together so we both can get group rate? LMK

2017 Edition Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE Review | eBay

Glad you found it helpful! I used the SDN 120 math review (up to maybe like question 80). And then used RxPreps test calculations. It was more than enough to prepare for the math I saw on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for a very thorough explanation. Congratulations on your score!

I'm so sorry to even ask... but I was wondering if there is anyway you can send me your written notes for the ID section? I'm really struggling there.
If so, my e-mail address is: [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

Great post - congrats on passing!
Small question, for the compounding section - what did you focus on most? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Small question, for the compounding section - what did you focus on most? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Look up famous formulations on google like camphor and sulfer ointments. Also look up famous exepients ( including surfactants).

Thank you for a very thorough explanation. Congratulations on your score!

I'm so sorry to even ask... but I was wondering if there is anyway you can send me your written notes for the ID section? I'm really struggling there.
If so, my e-mail address is: [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

Thank you! I'll send you a message about my ID notes but I warn you they are very messy and probably unlikely to be helpful.

Thank you! Honestly, I'm not even sure how to advise on this beyond you should definitely know all of the preservatives and try to remember what the common surfactants (and what the HLB values mean) and the ingredients that affect viscosity. I definitely didn't memorize the entire table but I did have a good working knowledge of the different types of preps (suppository, emulsion, suspension, etc) and generally what goes into making those. I would definitely advise knowing what levigation and trituration is.

Reactions: 1 user
did you also work as an intern while studying?

I worked as a student intern for 5 years for a grocer until the residency match day and then left it soon after. Don't regret having those weekends back. definitely did not want to intern while studying.

I worked as a student intern for 5 years for a grocer until the residency match day and then left it soon after. Don't regret having those weekends back. definitely did not want to intern while studying.

where are you planning to work?

Hello everyone,
Just a silly Q, i seem to have a hard time finding info about what we can bring to the test and what not, mainly about food. Can we have snacks during the test or is it strictly just in the locker? being pregnant, I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
Just a silly Q, i seem to have a hard time finding info about what we can bring to the test and what not, mainly about food. Can we have snacks during the test or is it strictly just in the locker? being pregnant, I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Hello,

You cannot take anything with u to the exam room , u have to leave it in the locker.
u'll have two 10 minutes break when u have access for your locker and bathroom.
I believe u can take during the test but your time for the exam continues counting down.

Best of luck,

Hello,

You cannot take anything with u to the exam room , u have to leave it in the locker.
I believe u can take during the test but your time for the exam continues counting down.

Best of luck,

Thank you :)

Hello,

Best of luck,

I thought you can't touch your locker during breaks?

I seriously studied for approximately a month for about 4-6 hours a day. It was more than enough time to be prepared and still enjoy my day to day.
lionheart555 since it was easy for you to prepared yoursefl for naplex. Would you be interested to tutor on the side? Im overwhelmed with all the study and big books need help to condence and get the important material. Please email me maggie fouce at gmail

has anyone used or heard things about using Naplex Kaplan Qbank? is it useful or as comparable to RXprep?

Hi everyone! I thought I would share my personal experience for the 2017 NAPLEX since I know I was on here quite often reading people's comments (and at times wishing there were more specifics or just more thoughts overall). So here is my rather long blurb on how I prepped, what to expect exam day, and some other general thoughts and good to know things throughout your NAPLEX experience.

What is not in here - Specific questions, offer to sell/provide any material, specific exam breakdown beyond a generalization of topics and question types

Outline
I. Exam General Stats
II. Study Material
III. Preparation
IV. Exam Day

I. Exam Stats
Naplex Score
- Triple digits
PreNaplex x 1- Slightly higher than my final NAPLEX score although I went into that exam unfairly knowing the types of questions on there already

My Exam Breakdown (Ish)
Roughly 30-40% calculations questions
Lots of HIV
~ 10% biostatistics
~ 5% Anemia questions
~ 5% OTC Questions
~ 5% ceutics type questions (compounding related)
Rest of exam was pretty heavy on infectious disease (ID bugs, choose empiric regimen mainly), and chronic diseases (mostly on diabetes, CKD, HTN, and HL)
~ 5-10 random I have no idea, I've never heard of this type of question
Surprisingly Absent - No epilepsy, only 1 oncology, very little COPD/asthma inhaler specific questions

Question Types
55-65% Multiple Choice
20-25% Enter in an answer (calculations)
5-10% Select all that apply
~5% Were other format (select hot spot, rank order)

II. Study Materials
-
RxPrep 2017 Book
- RxPrep Test Bank
- PreNaplex x 1
- Friends

Comments: Overall, I think the RxPrep book did a great job of summarizing and categorizing all the topics you definitely should have an idea about for the exam. Obviously it's an 1100 page book and nobody is going to remember 1100 pages of drug information. Focus on the bold things. Focus even more on the chronic diseases (HTN, Diabetes, CKD) as well as a healthy amount of time on big topics like epilepsy, inhaler use, infectious disease, and HIV/oncology.

I would say that the test bank is essential. I don't think I would have done as well without it. That said, I found the PreNaplex exam by NABP to be much a much better study and helped me understand the exam format over the RxPrep questions. You can take the NABP PreNaplex twice I believe and they have 2 practice test banks with different questions. I was fortunate enough to only take it once but see all the questions and I definitely saw some of the questions or similar on the NAPLEX.

I mention friends because I had people quizzing me or helping explain topics I didn't know. Also, I only used RxPrep but I had friends who used other resources (not sure which ones) and I distinctly remember certain topics we talked about that RxPrep did not emphasize but DID show up on my NAPLEX.

III. Preparation
Time:
~ 1 month - 2 weeks to read and re-write the entire RxPrep book. I wrote the whole thing into summary format in a way I could review later. Ended up condensing 1100 pages into <150 (over 2 x 75 page notebooks). The remaining 2 weeks was spent on reviewing pre naplex material questions and practicing daily calculations and RxPrep test bank questions.

I took my PreNaplex one week before the actual exam and walked out with a really high score. I had read that the score is usually improved on the actual NAPLEX so that was nice. Although, I did end up doing slightly worse on the actual NAPLEX (not by much though). I highly recommend doing 30 minutes - 1 hour of calculations every day if you can. I used RxPrep Test bank, RxPrep book, and SDN 120 to practice.

IV. Exam Day
While you're taking your exam, here are a few things to keep in mind that helped me.

- Many questions are case based. To proceed to a next question, you must scroll through the entire case (left/right, up/down, sometimes there are mini windows you need scroll through as well) before the exam will allow you to advance.

- They may or may not give you a handheld calculator but you can always ask them if this is available. If not, there is an online calculator.

- I believe the two scheduled breaks are determined based on time left in exam. I finished my exam in <4 hours and I was only offered one break at about question #170 something. The test paused and asked if I wanted to use my break. I never received an offer for a second break. I suggest taking the break if you receive it. You do not need to take 10 minutes. That said, after 10 minutes, the timer restarts so make sure you are back in time.

- There will be things on the exam you do not know. Don't worry about it. Take a best guess if you have an idea, or just blow through it. I had 2 questions I never even heard of the disease/condition for. What can you do? I kept a tally of types of questions while I was taking the exam to have an idea of how I was doing (internally at least).

- Redo EVERY calculation 2-3 times. You do have time to do this. Work backwards and see if you get the original values you started with too. Read very carefully for rounding instructions as well. It may be tenths, hundredths, whole number, tens...

- I personally believe it is best to read the questions first before the case. Some questions are so straightforward you don't need 95% of the case to answer it. If the questions asks for a best regimen, or if the answers suggest changing or considering to change regimen or make some other pharmacotherapeutic decision, then definitely make sure you read the case in full. Otherwise, I just found myself getting confused every time a case popped up. Do see note above about scrolling through cases.

- Above said, DO glance at the patient case info. It is not always obvious when the case changes to another case. You'll be working on patient 1 who has 5 problems and answer 3-4 questions when suddenly the case changes to patient 2 but you may not realize it. So double check that your case is still the same even when advancing through questions.

- Immediately afterwards,
go buy yourself something nice to eat/drink. 4-6 hours or however long you spend in there is no joke. And no food is allowed inside although I think you can store in a locker.

-
As I understand, score results for some states are not posted by NABP per the BOP of that state so check NABP's page and they will tell you if your state is one of those. If you are, I have no idea when you will get your result but I am sure there are state specific threads that discuss that. If your state does allow NABP to post, I am seeing a 2-4 day turnaround time on average from everyone I know.

Rumor tip: As I understand, if after your NABP registration changes to closed AND you can re-register for the NAPLEX, it means you most likely passed. This is because you cannot register for NAPLEX after failure for a certain period (45 days?). There are some threads around that talk more in depth about this. So for those especially that are in states that mail out results, this may be an indication you passed. So far I have not found any evidence this is false.

Final Thoughts - Honestly, the exam is not bad. Do a lot of practice problems. Calculations calculations calculations until your hand hurts and you can do problems without a second thought. Understand the biostatistics since there are definitely quite a few questions on calculating ARR, RRR, NNT. Trust your gut while taking the exam. If selecting regimen, or if answers are suggesting a pharmacotherapeutic change, always check allergies and DDI on current medications. Know a little bit of everything (everyone will get a different exam). Everyone I spoke to had different exam breakdowns with many people not even getting a certain topic that others did. You just don't know what you will get.

GOOD LUCK!

Hello Lionheart555, congrats on your success and the post is very helpful, pls how can I study the OTC drugs, I mean which materials, also can you send me a link to sdn calc, and the notes you used to study in my inbox. I really need help.

Hello Lionheart555, congrats on your success and the post is very helpful, pls how can I study the OTC drugs, I mean which materials, also can you send me a link to sdn calc, and the notes you used to study in my inbox. I really need help.

I used RxPrep for all of my study material - I did not supplement with anything else. I used the test bank questions. I did not particularly focus on OTC products (beyond some very general information about common vitamins and herbal products. I would advocate for spending a good amount of time on calcium/vitamin D. Other than that, I don't particularly recommend putting too much effort into OTC.

SDN Calculation 120 questions
Link for the SDN 120 questions

Unfortunately I had wrote all my notes and did not retain them so I won't be able to help you from that standpoint.