2017 Match Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pollyllop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to all!!!!

What time you got your results:
What program:
Stats:

Members don't see this ad.

Got my email at 8:03!
Matched my first choice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received email: 8:00am
Matched first choice!!!

Email at 0800, matched with my second choice

Hi can I ask you guys a question? So I matched to my number 7 choice on my list. Why would this be? The programs that I ranked 1-3 (which I truly preferred) basically hinted during the imterview that they really liked me and hope I enjoyed their program very much.

So naturally I'm bummed as to why I did not match to ANY of my previous 6 preferred choices? Please help a guy out :/

Hi can I ask you guys a question? So I matched to my number 7 choice on my list. Why would this be? The programs that I ranked 1-3 (which I truly preferred) basically hinted during the imterview that they really liked me and hope I enjoyed their program very much.

So naturally I'm bummed as to why I did not match to ANY of my previous 6 preferred choices? Please help a guy out :/
They ranked other candidates higher. I mean, they probably still liked you, but the candidates they got were higher on their list. This is why you can't read into anything and you always rank any acceptable program. It will work out. I matched at my #4 for my PGY1 and it ended up being the best program for me.

They ranked other candidates higher. I mean, they probably still liked you, but the candidates they got were higher on their list. This is why you can't read into anything and you always rank any acceptable program. It will work out. I matched at my #4 for my PGY1 and it ended up being the best program for me.
Thank you, this gives me hope that it worked out for you. I just hope that this residency allows me as much opportunity as my other choices and I grow to love it. Would like to hear if other people got matched to a program lower on their list

Thank you, this gives me hope that it worked out for you. I just hope that this residency allows me as much opportunity as my other choices and I grow to love it. Would like to hear if other people got matched to a program lower on their list
Also look at it this way, would you rather end up at doing a residency at this program that may have not everything you wanted (but enough for you to choose to apply/rank) or no residency. Make the most of the opportunities that you are given and it will work out for you in the end.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I literally also ranked with my 7th choice. Didn't think it would make it down that far the list. A little disheartening and didn't have everything I wanted, but I think I can make the best out of it! Just happy that I matched and don't have to go through Phase 2.

I literally also ranked with my 7th choice. Didn't think it would make it down that far the list. A little disheartening and didn't have everything I wanted, but I think I can make the best out of it! Just happy that I matched and don't have to go through Phase 2.
Good luck to you! It will definitely be us (the residents) that make the most of our opportunities. It's definitely comforting to know someone else felt the same way

Also look at it this way, would you rather end up at doing a residency at this program that may have not everything you wanted (but enough for you to choose to apply/rank) or no residency. Make the most of the opportunities that you are given and it will work out for you in the end.
Thanks a lot for the advice/comfort

You're a loser,
Thanks? I also only applied to really competitive programs and residency classes were smaller back then...got interviews at all sites, just didn't match at the top of my list.

Congratulations to all who matched! Got my notification at 8:01 eastern this morning! Matched to my number one!

Congratulations to everyone who matched! I matched to my #1 choice for PGY2. Received the e-mail at 5:06AM Pacific time.

Sounds like y'all rigged it.

We matched our #2 and #3

I'm an in demand preceptor, can't help it.

Can I ask you two (or any others on the program's side) what percent of your interviewees do you rank and what led you to not rank applicants? I was not ranked by my #1 but felt I had a competitive application, was a good fit for the program, and left the interview with a good feeling.

Can I ask you two (or any others on the program's side) what percent of your interviewees do you rank and what led you to not rank applicants? I was not ranked by my #1 but felt I had a competitive application, was a good fit for the program, and left the interview with a good feeling.

We interviewed 18 for 2 positions. Ranked 10 because it was a good number. And those who we didn't rank, we did not want them in our program. They looked good on paper and that was about it.

We interviewed 18 for 2 positions. Ranked 10 because it was a good number. And those who we didn't rank, we did not want them in our program. They looked good on paper and that was about it.
So the people that you did not rank were exclusively because you did not like them, not because you already had a preset number of 10 and decided to just rank your top 10 best applicants?

So the people that you did not rank were exclusively because you did not like them, not because you already had a preset number of 10 and decided to just rank your top 10 best applicants?

Correct.

"Not like" is a bit harsh as I liked most of them. All eager and hopeful. But we didn't feel they would be a good fit. Some interviewed us as a backup we can tell as they had their #1 set at elsewhere and some interviewed with us to be closer to their bf etc. Mixed bag.

But it wouldn't have hurt our feelings to have matched any of our top 10 they were all good. Our #1 stood out but other than that, #2 to #10, we were splitting hair.

Correct.

"Not like" is a bit harsh as I liked most of them. All eager and hopeful. But we didn't feel they would be a good fit. Some interviewed us as a backup we can tell as they had their #1 set at elsewhere and some interviewed with us to be closer to their bf etc. Mixed bag.

But it wouldn't have hurt our feelings to have matched any of our top 10 they were all good. Our #1 stood out but other than that, #2 to #10, we were splitting hair.
That's very interesting. I didn't know that's how it usually ended up. Is your hospital part of a health system with other affiliated hospitals? Wondering if all of the programs within a system sit down and discuss mutual candidates and how they should be ranked

That's very interesting. I didn't know that's how it usually ended up. Is your hospital part of a health system with other affiliated hospitals? Wondering if all of the programs within a system sit down and discuss mutual candidates and how they should be ranked

It's an IDS with over 40 hospitals. I have 4 hospitals and about 100 clinics. No, we do not discuss mutual candidates. Kaiser might. They're different.

Is there a master list somewhere with programs and matches? Did you all find out who your co-residents are?

We didn't rank someone that was an outstanding candidate on paper. It's like dating - you can tick all the boxes but if you meet and there's no spark, it's a no go. You can't explain it any other way really. Some people just don't fit in our program - don't fit with the people, don't have the personality that would make them advance here.

We didn't rank someone that was an outstanding candidate on paper. It's like dating - you can tick all the boxes but if you meet and there's no spark, it's a no go. You can't explain it any other way really. Some people just don't fit in our program - don't fit with the people, don't have the personality that would make them advance here.
That I can definitely understand. But if you interviewed at at least 4 different programs that all told you on the interview that you'd be an excellent candidate for the program, that you'd be ranked highly and were in the preliminary round, and hope you really enjoy the program, it is very hard to understand why you did not match to any of your top choices but rather #7. I wish I had some feedback to improve upon for PGY2 for next year because if all of my interviews seemed amazing and I did not get any of my top ranked programs something must be wrong. Either there's a flaw in the algorithm or those programs flat out lied to me

That I can definitely understand. But if you interviewed at at least 4 different programs that all told you on the interview that you'd be an excellent candidate for the program, that you'd be ranked highly and were in the preliminary round, and hope you really enjoy the program, it is very hard to understand why you did not match to any of your top choices but rather #7. I wish I had some feedback to improve upon for PGY2 for next year because if all of my interviews seemed amazing and I did not get any of my top ranked programs something must be wrong. Either there's a flaw in the algorithm or those programs flat out lied to me

I wouldn't think of them as lying to you. There are lots of great candidates and depending on when you interviewed your position in their ranking may change. That doesn't mean you weren't an excellent candidate. Similarly, when they say they will be ranking you high, that may mean in the top 4 when there are only 2 positions. The match was extremely competitive this year and I know the rankings came down to fractions of points for many programs. I wouldn't overthink ranking with your number 7 program and I wouldn't be discouraged when applying for PGY2s.

As the match favors candidates' rank (over the programs' rank), it's in the individual program's best interest to "put their best face forward" for each and every candidate during interviews. Programs do not want to have unmatched positions, so therefore they want to have as many of the candidates they deemed qualified enough for an interview to in fact rank them.

I think those post-interview email messages, or responses to candidates' thank you emails as "stacking the deck" to ensure the above. As someone who has both received them and now sends them, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Also, the rank list usually isn't the decision of just the RPD, rather it's by committee. The other preceptors have a say, so even if you were among the RPD's top choices, usually he or she will concede the rank order to the preference of the other preceptors who have to work more closely with the residents.

Reactions: 1 users
You are having the same feelings that I did the first (and only :) time I didn't get into a school I applied to. You feel, you are great, there must be something wrong?!? Sorry, life is becoming more and more competitive, We had almost 100 applicants for our positions, and we are not some name brand. It sucks when you think you are the best and used to succeeding - it isn't like pharmacy school where there are 100+ positions at each of your top schools, you are competing against 25-100 people for EACH position - there are a heck of a lot of 3.9 GPA students out there - we ranked / didn't even grant interviews to, many each year. First rule in life, don't make excuses, don't think something is wrong, suck it up and make the best of it.

I had a couple programs say something like that to me. I ranked 7 programs and wound up not matching (granted, I completely flubbed two of those interviews). Programs saying they like you when they don't care that much is kind of victimless. You are no less likely to match based on the order in which you place your programs, and the program might be more likely to match with a candidate they prefer; however, having just gone through it, I empathize with any hurt feelings.

You are having the same feelings that I did the first (and only :) time I didn't get into a school I applied to. You feel, you are great, there must be something wrong?!? Sorry, life is becoming more and more competitive, We had almost 100 applicants for our positions, and we are not some name brand. It sucks when you think you are the best and used to succeeding - it isn't like pharmacy school where there are 100+ positions at each of your top schools, you are competing against 25-100 people for EACH position - there are a heck of a lot of 3.9 GPA students out there - we ranked / didn't even grant interviews to, many each year. First rule in life, don't make excuses, don't think something is wrong, suck it up and make the best of it.
Don't think I'm the best and have experienced rejections before (college admissions anyone?) but my point is, I would have been okay if the programs did not go out of their way to tell me that I am amazing, that they will rank me highly, etc. That made me feel as if they really liked me (I already loved their programs) and encouraged me to pursue their programs. Had all of that conversation not been exchanged, I would not have questioned my results.

And this was not just 1 program but several. Very odd

I had a couple programs say something like that to me. I ranked 7 programs and wound up not matching (granted, I completely flubbed two of those interviews). Programs saying they like you when they don't care that much is kind of victimless. You are no less likely to match based on the order in which you place your programs, and the program might be more likely to match with a candidate they prefer; however, having just gone through it, I empathize with any hurt feelings.
I'm sorry to hear that Abby. It definitely sucks that programs told both of us that. I wish you the best luck in Phase 2 if you choose to apply. There are some really great programs left :)

Don't think I'm the best and have experienced rejections before (college admissions anyone?) but my point is, I would have been okay if the programs did not go out of their way to tell me that I am amazing, that they will rank me highly, etc. That made me feel as if they really liked me (I already loved their programs) and encouraged me to pursue their programs. Had all of that conversation not been exchanged, I would not have questioned my results.

And this was not just 1 program but several. Very odd
For example - with us - we matched with 4 out of our top 9 candidates - we interviewed 28 - had ~100applicants - We ranked a lot of people hi that may not have matched anywhere - that is what I am saying