2017 JAN 4th: Need advice on my PCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digimonjin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biological Processes: 79%
Critical Reading: 17%
Quantitative Reasoning: 97%
Chemical Processes: 99%
Composite: 89%

I think I have a decent Composite score, but my reading score is too low. Should I retake it? Is the reading score heavily weighted comparison to other sections?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I have a decent Composite score, but my reading score is too low. Should I retake it? Is the reading score heavily weighted comparison to other sections?
It's not the reading that Lowered your score, it's a bio.

It depends on how comfortable you felt about the other sections, and whether or not you think your scores in those areas are reproducible. There is a bit of room for improvement in bio, but your score in that area is decent. You may be able to explain your way through the one section, but critical reading scores do provide insight into quick processing capacity, so I personally think a decent (>70) score is important. Overall though, your composite is high enough for a lot of schools, and your chem/math were great. I don't think it's absolutely necesary unless you are certain you will blast those areas again

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools have minimums you must achieve on all sections usually around a 40. I would double check with the schools you're applying to and see what their admissions advisors say. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I'll definitely take a look at the pcat minimums. :):):);)
Wish I had better reading skills.

May I ask how you studied for the PCAT? I am assuming you used collins
I did start my work with Dr.collins, but the edition I used was 2014 version. Since the exam format changed, I needed a little extra information to fulfill the gap. For this purpose, I used Kaplan book purchased from amazon.

Amazon product

I repeated reading Dr.collins three times besides the math section.
I only skim through the Kaplan book.

Hope you find a better strats for reading section, but I can give you a little tip for science section.
After going through Dr.collins or any PCAT guides more than once, you'll notice there is a certain pattern in the question.
I compiled all the questions I got wrong in one notebook. This will allow you to be time efficient because you just have to read the topics you are lacking on and skip on the material you already know.

For a tip in math section, It is sometimes difficult to skip a question when you realized the answer is not in the listed choices. You spend 1~2 minutes already and hesitant to skip the question. SKIP IT and comeback later to find the error, but do not erase the notes on the marker board for that specific question.

Try to find other starts/advices people posted on forum and use whatever suits you the best.
GL with the exam!