2017 DAT Breakdown! 19 AA / 19 TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BowlingDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer

I just finished my DAT and like many of the helpful posts I had read on SDN before I began studying, I wanted to give my section Break down and what I used to study for each section. I write disclaimer on here because I wanted you to be aware before reading that I crammed all of my studying into one month. I finished my last final for the Fall semester and began studying the same day. It was a long month and I had to give up some time with family on Christmas and New Years but I felt it was worth it. My logic behind taking a January DAT was to give myself a safety net. I want to apply for Dental School in June the day that application open and I wanted to make sure I was satisfied with my DAT before applying. If I had taken the DAT in late May/early June and I had bombed it (Not in the good way) than I would not have to wait the 90 days during the summer before submitting my application. By taking my DAT in January I gave myself time should I need to take the test again.

I did do hours and hours of research before I started studying. I wanted to make sure I planned out my month. I was limited on time and wanted to make the most out of every hour I spent studying.

Scores

Perceptual Ability - 24
Quantitative Reasoning - 20
Reading Comprehension - 19
Biology - 17
General Chemistry - 19
Organic Chemistry 21

Total Science - 19
Academic Average - 19

Perceptual Ability

This was easily my favorite section to study for because for me it was like playing a game. I was disappointed I did not score higher; I did have some tricky Keyhole and angle problems. I started off studying in late October. I had the Kaplan DAT 2016 book and it was dreadful to use. You had limited practice problems and it doesn't explain (for me at least) each section in the depth it should be explained in. Once I purchased Bootcamp my scores went up. His explanation videos are the best and you have hundreds of practice problems. I did get caught up on cube counting. Most of Ari's have 3 questions per picture but most of my pictures had two questions. Maybe it was just my exam but I caught myself moving too fast and had to slow down.

Quantitative Reasoning/Reading Comprehension

I'm going to include these into one because I honestly didn't study for these sections. I like Ari's examples for RC but I only did one of his exams. I needed to focus on my weaker areas. Like many have said before me, my questions were in order I read them and unlike Ari I did not have any of the "If this then that is true." questions. Math I did not study for at all. I did Ari's first QR exam and got 36/40 correct and I was satisfied. I do recommend knowing your trig. I had a few questions on that. I could have scored higher on both sections but I cut myself short for time on each section. I hadn't practice much of either section so I was pressed for time. (Oh and you can highlight in RC)

Biology

I almost cried when I saw I scored a 17. Biology is my least favorite subject. I watched Chad's videos and did Ari's tests 100 times over trying to memorize each and every point and definition he made (And not just the answers but why something was not the answer). There is so much in Biology it overwhelms me. My best tip is to absorb as much as you can; its such a vast topic they can test you over anything. I read Ari's notes, watched Chad's videos, and even watch videos on you tube. I'll post the link below by my favorite videos to watch are "Biology Crash Course." Its a playlist with about 40 videos made by a guy who tries to be funny explaining biology. A good 8 hours of videos over general subjects in biology. I'm a visual person and his animations in the videos helped me get a general idea before I dove into each topic. Highly recommend watching the videos. (They are free!)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3EED4C1D684D3ADF

General Chemistry

Disappointed in this score because every practice exam I did (2007, 2009, and the two exams you get when purchasing Kaplan DAT book) I scored well over 20-22. Most of the questions weren't as straight forward and there was a lot of stuff I wasn't 100% clear on. You know how in class you decide to not focus on an area/subject because you think to yourself "That will NOT be on the exam." Well, it was. So I trapped myself. Also I did this section last because I felt confident in my ability for GC. As far as studying goes. All I did was watch Chad's videos and took notes. Lots and lots and lots of notes. I had my old GC book from freshman chemistry and I worked practice problems out of there and of course used Ari's Bootcamp. When I got a question wrong I would read the explanation and try it again. Kaplan's book I did not used; I was pressed for time and I did not like the explanations it gave.

Organic Chemistry

This was the section I was most scared for. Luckily last fall I had retaken O-Chem 1 to help my GPA for the application cycle and the Professor I had is amazing. SN1/SN1/E1/E2 questions I know like the back of my hand. To make sure I was up to date I still watched all of Chad's Videos. Amazing tool. When I got to EAS and other reactions I was so fuzzy on the material Chad explains them perfectly. From there I did practice after practice. I wish I had more time because the questions are so general that this not that hard. Ari's questions are amazing. If you get a question wrong (or right) watch the explanation videos he provides. I took each OC test 100000 times over and if I got a question wrong I would watch the video. Again I used kaplan for this but did not like the explanations. Also I found this PDF online (I have no idea where to find this PDF or who wrote it because it was glued to my side at all times), and he explains every reaction that you could see on the DAT with pictures and explanations. Where ever you are mysterious PDF creator, I salute you.

Summary

To say a weight was lifted off my shoulder is an understatement. I was so nervous about Biology I considered just waiting until June. I taking Bio 2 and O-Chem 2 in the Spring so I felt like waiting would not be a bad thing. Waking up I honestly went in with the mindset that I need to start saving up another $430 to take the DAT again, I did not sleep, and I was stressed out of my mind but I guess I knew more than I thought. One tidbit of advice before I finish is to have confidence in yourself. My friends and family knew of the time I had sacrificed for this exam and were confident in my ability so I should be too. I might retake the DAT again because I do feel like a 17 in Bio is low but I'll see how everything pans out come June.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Science 3.25
Overall 3.1

This is better considering about 2 years ago I had a 2.1. Bad relations with friends and family situation I didn't focus on school. Its explained in depth in my Personal Statement which I already have written for application in June........ lol

A retake wouldn't be a bad idea then to strengthen your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Science 3.25
Overall 3.1

This is better considering about 2 years ago I had a 2.1. Bad relations with friends and family situation I didn't focus on school. Its explained in depth in my Personal Statement which I already have written for application in June........ lol
Can you tell us what you got on your practice tests?

Congrats on the scores. You clearly put in a long hard month. One thing with the personal statement is that I wouldn't focus too hard on you GPA struggles. By all means mention it but many of the admission people I have talked to and work with say that sometimes things like that just make them constantly think about your GPA instead of all of the good things about you. Just my 2 cents with that. :) Congrats again!!!

What is ari's test? Also, this is a off topic question but how do you start a new forum/discussion on SDN...I am new to this and I am confused. PLease help!

What is ari's test? Also, this is a off topic question but how do you start a new forum/discussion on SDN...I am new to this and I am confused. PLease help!
Ari's test are the test's on bootcamp. It is his website. To start a new thread scroll to the bottom of the main page and there should be a button called post new thread.

Sorry for the delay in answering. After my Exam I had class until 7 (Gross). When I got home I sat down on my couch and had a jack & coke in a Star Wars water mug while watching a Series of Unfortunate Events. I apologize in advance if there are grammatical errors; that is the -OH bonds talking.

A retake wouldn't be a bad idea then to strengthen your application.

I am thinking about it. I talked with my adviser who used to work in admissions at a Medical School and she knows my situation and thinks my scores are good enough to not need a re-take. It won't hurt but I'll worry about a re-take when the semester ends.

Congrats on the scores. You clearly put in a long hard month. One thing with the personal statement is that I wouldn't focus too hard on you GPA struggles. By all means mention it but many of the admission people I have talked to and work with say that sometimes things like that just make them constantly think about your GPA instead of all of the good things about you. Just my 2 cents with that. :) Congrats again!!!

Thank you!!! I have showed my PS to my adviser as well and others and all recommended the same thing. Basically I was told to not draw attention to it but show it as a point of motivation for why I am pursuing Dentistry. It doesn't mention GPA history but I feel like I show growth. (If that makes sense)

Can you tell us what you got on your practice tests?

On Bootcamp it is hard to tell you what I scored on the practice exams. Like I mentioned above I re-did each mini-test individually over and over to get an understanding of the material. So by the week before the exam I was getting 30s on all sections of the test because I recognized the correct answer. My focus was determining why each answer was the correct answer and not just choosing A, B, C, or D. (If that makes sense). I never did a full practice exam on Bootcamp, I was pressed for time, but I did take the 2007, 2009, and a Kaplan exam I was provided with my book.

2007 2009 Kaplan
BIO 21 18 17
GC 22 22 23
OC 21 19 22
PAT 24 26 23
RC X X X
QR 22 X X

Hope I caught everyone!

I also received a message about my 4 week Study Plan I had set in place, I'll post it here in case anyone cares to read it. I had 30 days from the time my final exam ended to my test to study for the exam. This was my tentative schedule. I'm not a fan of setting a precise schedule. For example, "I will study this for an hour and learn this and that." For me I feel like if I have a schedule and something happens then I feel lost because I didn't accomplish what I wanted that day.

Days 1-10

Watched all of Chad's Videos and take notes. Before bed spend an hour or so on PAT.

Day 11

Took Practice 2007 DAT. I had read this was the easier one so I wanted a bit of a confidence boost before taking 2009.

Days 12-25

Spend two days on Bio, one on Gen Chem, one on Orgo. Repeat the Cycle.
Mainly this period consisted of reading. By about Day 17 I stopped with Gen Chem and Alternated Bio and Orgo.
Continue PAT practice before bed

Days 24-29

DAT Bootcamp. I spent hours on this website. Watching every video to every question at least three times for Orgo and read each Bio question to get an understanding of the material he provided.
I also took the 2009 and Kaplan Practice exams.

Day 30

Rest.
I would like to say I rested all day but I had class in the morning (The semester just started) and I went home and re-read my highlighted notes. Around 4 in the after noon I closed everything and finished watching Breaking Bad (I felt bad for WW). I did manage to squeeze in a soak in the tub before I attempted to go to bed to try and relax.

Great PA, QR, and OCHEM scores! Considering your GPAs though, you might want to shoot for a higher overall score to better your chances this cycle.

Ari's test are the test's on bootcamp. It is his website. To start a new thread scroll to the bottom of the main page and there should be a button called post new thread.

THANK YOU! but what it the main page? because I couldn't find anything that said "post new thread"

Members don't see this ad :)
Science 3.25
Overall 3.1

If i were you id retake tbh

I'd agree on pushing for the retake - I know the test is pretty expensive and you may have to borrow the money to make it happen, but a higher score would greatly improve the chances of admission given your current GPA.

I'd agree on pushing for the retake - I know the test is pretty expensive and you may have to borrow the money to make it happen, but a higher score would greatly improve the chances of admission given your current GPA.

Thanks! I'll do what I can. I'll just start a GoFundMe page. lol

Think about it this way. Retaking the DAT and getting a 21+ would be cheaper and could possibly save you on the costs of reapplying again next cycle. 3.1 and 19AA doesn't jump out to Adcoms IMO.

I want to but I really do not have extra funds... I barely have enough to pay for the schools I am applying for... #broke

I feel you but if you are applying this cycle, you are risking not getting in because your sci gpa and DAT scores are low (then you would have lost all of that money you spent). If i were you, Id spend that money on a retake, do well on the DAT, and apply next year (you can save up money over the year for applications and interviews)

I want to but I really do not have extra funds... I barely have enough to pay for the schools I am applying for... #broke
I would go back to your advisor who stated she didn't think you would need a retake and ask her where to apply. It's a tough call and depending on where you apply I agree with your advisor it is possible to get an interview with these scores.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

I'll do what I can guys! I really don't have the funds. My parents haven't spoken to me in 2.5 years since I came out, I have no money, it goes all to tuition because my parents won't give me financial information for FAFSA so I cannot get any financial aid. So I understand you guys want me to take it again and or wait but I just can't. I have everything on the line here and I can't afford a retake at this point. I work 30+ hours a week, volunteer in the field, shadow at least one office during the week, and I'm enrolled in 18 credits. So please, if you would like to help a brother out I would appreciate it. I just can't afford a retake. I'm already to the point of breaking down.

Honestly, you will have to write the DAT again. You really messed up relying solely on Bootcamp for Biology. If you ever retake it, don't waste your time memorizing their questions/answers as it clearly got you a 17 (It blows my mind you did this). If you want a good score on the Biology section, spend more time studying the material since that's what will raise your scores.

Last edited:
What everyone is telling you is advice for an ideal application so don't take it too harshly. Given your circumstances, it seems that you are not in an ideal position to retake the DAT anytime soon. If only looking at your GPA and DAT, your chances would be low (I know certain schools do have cutoff GPA's, so check if you meet them for each school you apply to). But, it is up to adcoms to take into consideration many others things like your recent academic ability, whether or not you had to work, and things of that nature that we wouldn't know but I can somewhat see in your last comment. Give it your best shot in June. If it becomes possible to retake the DAT this summer, in the fall, or in the winter, then by all means. It would not be easy, but can definitely up your chances