2017 ABA ITE Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
>50% can land you a chronic pain fellowship?? everyone told me you had to be at least in the 70th percentile.

Sigh, if that's all you took from my post that's too bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@AdmiralChz , i appreciated your post A LOT and i got a lot from it.

Thanks much, i may have more questions to follow, but i just wanted to say i understood your comment.

I scored 50. Just wanted to brag on this anonymous online forum since it cant be done in real life without alienating everybody. FWIW I used truelearn app on my iphone and did questions mostly during down time and/or at the gym, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I scored 50. Just wanted to brag on this anonymous online forum since it cant be done in real life without alienating everybody. FWIW I used truelearn app on my iphone and did questions mostly during down time and/or at the gym, etc.

Why limit your profile so nobody can learn from your journey?

Finally got our score reports back today. I did well enough to be reimbursed for the basic exam. So I am happy! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ie raw score you'd shoot for on the real deal to pass?

I've always heard a 35 or 37...I wonder if that gets bumped up though with the big jump in scoring with basic implementation
Thanks buddy... just out of curiosity then, what percentile is tracking in the fail range? 37 roughly correlates to the 50th percentile. This exam is getting crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks buddy... just out of curiosity then, what percentile is tracking in the fail range? 37 roughly correlates to the 50th percentile. This exam is getting crazy

My opinion - if you are below 20-30th percentile you probably have work to do. I am sure there is a population of CA-3s out there (especially in programs that don't pay for written boards based on ITE performance) that didn't take ITE too seriously, bringing down the average which could have inflated the percentiles out there.

Back in the day, the written exam was a subset of the same ITE that residents were taking in the same room alongside those taking the exam for real. Depending on performance on the subset, a 32 might be a pass or a fail. A 33 was generally thought to be a safe scaled score pass. A few years ago, they were separated, but I think that score still holds up as the minimum for a passing score. You need to shoot for much higher than that. I don't think they have adjusted for the score inflation that has been seen over the past few years. When the scores dipped in the late 90's, they held the same standard for passing, so the pass rate dipped into the 60 percent range at its nadir. I suspect that it will continue to be high 80's or low 90's percent range that pass.
There are many more resources out there for reviewing for the boards than there used to be, but I think they are ramping up some of the difficulty as well. Scores that get 50th percentile now would have likely been 80-90th percentile 2 decades ago.

My opinion - if you are below 20-30th percentile you probably have work to do. I am sure there is a population of CA-3s out there (especially in programs that don't pay for written boards based on ITE performance) that didn't take ITE too seriously, bringing down the average which could have inflated the percentiles out there.
Good point. All who scored below 30th percentile will be hitting it hard. If your score stays flat or only goes up by 3-4 points, your percentile will crater because everyone will pass you. I've seen it happen so many times.

There are many more resources out there for reviewing for the boards than there used to be, but I think they are ramping up some of the difficulty as well. Scores that get 50th percentile now would have likely been 80-90th percentile 2 decades ago.

That's an interesting thought. I was really surprised by how much higher the 90+% percentile scores are these days. My ITE scores as a resident were upper 30s and low-mid 40s, all 98%-ile+ for my year. And now you need upper 40s for that kind of percentile.

I was wondering if the test itself has changed, or the scoring system, or the residents.

Smarter residents now? Maybe. Anesthesia is more competitive now than it was 10 years ago.

The basic exam exists now and residents study harder, earlier. I think that's a big part of it.

And as you mention, better resources now. We had Hall (kind of outdated), a pretty crappy Q book based on the Barash textbook, a few years of old ABA exams (with an answer key but no explanations), and not much else. No online question banks were available 10 years ago - I ended up building one for my program based on the released ABA exams, and about a year or so out of residency I wrote about 100 questions & explanations for someone's startup web question bank that never actually launched. I wouldn't have invested that effort if the product already existed ...

For sure. my score is good enough for 88% compared to CA3s, which is like no way in hell since all the CA3s know way more than I do. They prob clicked all Cs and left

I'm going to ball out for the real deal in July, I was on a terrible rotation and didn't have to study so got a 38 and 56th percentile. It freaks me out a bit but I'm sure I'll pass. Just kinda nuts to think I'm in fail range with a high 30 and hovering around the center of the bell curve. Again, this exam is getting ridiculous

I'm going to ball out for the real deal in July, I was on a terrible rotation and didn't have to study so got a 38 and 56th percentile. It freaks me out a bit but I'm sure I'll pass. Just kinda nuts to think I'm in fail range with a high 30 and hovering around the center of the bell curve. Again, this exam is getting ridiculous
38 is not hovering in the fail range. As long as you don't regress, you will pass. As others do better, your percentile will not be as high, but a 38 is a pretty decent score.

For sure. my score is good enough for 88% compared to CA3s, which is like no way in hell since all the CA3s know way more than I do. They prob clicked all Cs and left
I see people do better than those in classes above them all of the time. It is very common.

38 is not hovering in the fail range. As long as you don't regress, you will pass. As others do better, your percentile will not be as high, but a 38 is a pretty decent score.

Thanks homie, well, compared to all the folks in this thread scoring in the 99th percentile....

According to the ABA you have a 99% chance of passing the written with that score. Relax.

Wow that makes me feel a lot better, contrary to some of the things I've heard. Thanks for the encouragement bro. Ready to be finished with the hoops

The pass rate on the advanced exam has been in the mid 90's percentage wise so far. With each subsequent administration the percentage that pass will dip a little until it gets to where they seem to want it (around 88-90% pass rate I believe). If you are >20th percentile you are on track to pass as long as you continue to study as much or more than the average. Anyone around the 50th percentile would probably have passed the advanced exam if they had taken it instead of the ITE and is likely prepared to pass if they don't regress. The ABA isn't out to fail us all because that reflects poorly on them. They are out to make life difficult, force us to study endlessly and take as much of our money as possible, but not fail us all.

Seems I heard they fail more people than that? Somewhere in the 30-35% range? One of the highest amongst board licensing associations

Sorry to bump this thread, but if anyone has a link the the score/percentlie by clinical year and could PM a link I would be grateful. I thought I saw one on here somewhere.

Attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171208-014145.png
    Screenshot_20171208-014145.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot_20171208-014140.png
    Screenshot_20171208-014140.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 2017-Guideline-Norm-Table.pdf
    377.2 KB · Views: 151