2017-2018 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Brand new 3rd year here. Let me know if you have any questions. I will be posting a school review of 2nd year and the post tornado recovery review. I am happy to answer most questions about the school and my experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received the secondary!

@WorldChanger36, how is William Carey recovering from the tornado and how is it affecting students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind sharing the prompt?

Haven't received anything as of the time of this post.

Statement of Purpose

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, scholarly activities, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and nation.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM to fulfill this mission.

@chizledfrmstone

Just received the secondary this morning!

Anyone else find it weird/funny that it's just an attached word document, and that they also require you to print it off and mail it to them? They're so old school.

Honestly, I like it.

Reactions: 1 user
When should I email the adcom about not receiving the secondary?

Can someone tell me the difference between List all activities (e.g., employment, travel) that account for your time while earning and since earning a bachelor’s degree and List all extracurricular, volunteer, or vocational activities you participated in while in college on the secondary application questions? Should I not mention my volunteering during college for the first question or just repeat it for both??

You don't, unless you want to get an auto reject. If they're interested, they'll send it to you. Carey is specific about who they send secondaries to.
I've seen instances where secondaries are sent and they end up in the wrong mailbox/filtered, and members on here have noted how they've emailed schools and have been sent secondaries after contacting the adcom.

I was unsure how WCU sent their secondaries which is why I asked. Now that I understand it's selective I'll wait before contacting them.

I've seen instances where secondaries are sent and they end up in the wrong mailbox/filtered, and members on here have noted how they've emailed schools and have been sent secondaries after contacting the adcom.

I was unsure how WCU sent their secondaries which is why I asked. Now that I understand it's selective I'll wait before contacting them.

Hey, it never hurts to ask them about where you stand at the current time. Throughout the process, I was in contact with Dr. Weir via email and he would let me know where I stood in terms of getting a secondary, getting an interview, and post-interview stuff.

You will not get auto-rejected. If they haven't given you one yet, then you are either still in consideration or you are out of consideration. Therefore, emailing adcom could clear up where you stand.

The way I would ask is:
"Hi! I was wondering where I stood on receiving a secondary application. I know it is highly selective, but I just wanted to know if I was still under consideration. Thank you for your time and guidance."

Again, it never hurts and shows that you are still highly interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree with you, I just think it's wayyyyy too early to be sending emails like that. The cycle just opened. I'd wait until August at least before sending an email like that.

wait, why am I quoted in that? My question was about answering the secondary questions because I received mine a few days ago! :O

While I agree with you, I just think it's wayyyyy too early to be sending emails like that. The cycle just opened. I'd wait until August at least before sending an email like that.
Ya I agree, I'd also definitely wait until August.

wait, why am I quoted in that? My question was about answering the secondary questions because I received mine a few days ago! :O

I would also like to know. The potential answers to these two questions seem kind of redundant.

I would also like to know. The potential answers to these two questions seem kind of redundant.

What I did was list things I did WHILE in college under extracurricular activities (like frat leadership, volunteering, research, etc) and then listed things I did during my gap year in the other question (like scribe in an ER and tutor for the MCAT). It's definitely redundant tho.

I'd just put non-school related activities under the "while earning" question if you didn't do a gap year(s). Hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 users
What I did was list things I did WHILE in college under extracurricular activities (like frat leadership, volunteering, research, etc) and then listed things I did during my gap year in the other question (like scribe in an ER and tutor for the MCAT). It's definitely redundant tho.

I'd just put non-school related activities under the "while earning" question if you didn't do a gap year(s). Hope this helped.

This is all you need. Dont over think this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Awesome that helps a lot! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to the question: "Have you attended a Professional Education Preparation Program? If so, please indicate where and when." does this mean a formal post-bacc program?

So a passport picture taken at a kinko's should be ok for the secondary right?

Secondary received a few days ago but the 2 signed sci professor requirement may jail me out. One professor hasn't signed his (simply typed his name) but hopefully I can guide him through adding an electronic signature soon.

A good reminder folks! Make sure you are very clear with your LOR writers about SIGNING and, if using Interfolio, call/email to have them check that all of your letters have what you need.

Secondary received a few days ago but the 2 signed sci professor requirement may jail me out. One professor hasn't signed his (simply typed his name) but hopefully I can guide him through adding an electronic signature soon.

A good reminder folks! Make sure you are very clear with your LOR writers about SIGNING and, if using Interfolio, call/email to have them check that all of your letters have what you need.

Oh man, I assumed that if they typed their name is was regarded as a signature. This may jail me out as well, since it took me months to acquire my letters. Some of them don't even know how to use a computer, let alone an electronic signature. I'm just going to send my application and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a side note, went to go take a passport photo and I had no idea we can't smile with our teeth showing. I'm a teeth smiler :(

On a side note, went to go take a passport photo and I had no idea we can't smile with our teeth showing. I'm a teeth smiler :(

I didn't know that. I have a gap though so I never smile with my teeth. How did you find out you can't show you're teeth for med school pictures??

I didn't know that. I have a gap though so I never smile with my teeth. How did you find out you can't show you're teeth for med school pictures??

Oh it's for passport photos that you can't. I just went into my post office and requested they take a passport photo as that was the easiest for me. As far as I know you can pose however you like for Med schools and to varying results.

Oh it's for passport photos that you can't. I just went into my post office and requested they take a passport photo as that was the easiest for me. As far as I know you can pose however you like for Med schools and to varying results.

Oh oops! Totally misinterpreted your post! Yeah there are quite a few rules for passport pictures. I think it has to do with electronic identification purposes. I could be wrong.

Still haven't received a secondary from here... When do I start getting worried?

I still haven't received a secondary , should I send them an email or is it too early for that? (Canadian here btw)

Secondary submitted yesterday! This took me way too long to complete - best of luck everyone.

Still haven't received a secondary from here... When do I start getting worried?
I still haven't received a secondary , should I send them an email or is it too early for that? (Canadian here btw)

I haven't got it either. Canadian here as well!

So I applied to this school 2 years ago...never even received a secondary. I called them multiple times and asked about the status of my AACOMAS application, and their only answer was it was still under review. Never heard from them after that. Even when I called in APRIL at the end of the cycle and they said my primary was still under review. Meanwhile I got a secondary from every other school...the admissions office is very poor in my opinion.

So I applied to this school 2 years ago...never even received a secondary. I called them multiple times and asked about the status of my AACOMAS application, and their only answer was it was still under review. Never heard from them after that. Even when I called in APRIL at the end of the cycle and they said my primary was still under review. Meanwhile I got a secondary from every other school...the admissions office is very poor in my opinion.
That's very unprofessional of them. If they don't want/like Canadians, they should say so, so we don't waste our money on the application!

That's very unprofessional of them. If they don't want/like Canadians, they should say so, so we don't waste our money on the application!
I'm not even Canadian, I'm American. Still OOS, but regardless I think it's ridiculous to treat any applicant that way. Just wanted to add my input.

Haven't got a secondary. Canadians here. Well it's safe to say they don't really take Canadians.

It is pretty safe to say anyone not from the Gulf South of the US has a very reduced chance of ever seeing a secondary.

I just received a complete email from here, yet I'm from the Pac NW, and still waiting for a secondary from PNWU that a bunch of other people seem to already be getting. The admissions process is weird. :shrug:

Agreed... I'm from the Northeast and received a secondary nearly 2 weeks ago. Also have interviews in VA and Alabama and nothing so far from closer to home. You just never know

From the gulf south and I haven't heard anything.

Haven't got a secondary. Canadians here. Well it's safe to say they don't really take Canadians.
Dr. Turner confirmed it in the email in January 2017 that they do take Canadians!

Did you ever receive a rejection letter? According to some current students, they have a very unique system. Apparently there is no wait-list, and interviews and acceptances extend until the first day of class. If you never received a rejection letter up until this date, then I would deem that very unprofessional as well.