2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the how to prepare for your interview website, it states that the 30 minute panel interview will consist of behavioral-based questions. Does anyone know if this differs from last year's format? I'm trying to prep for my interview, and I don't know if I'm wasting my time if I just practice the standard questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else received this message? I haven't had problems at any of the other schools.

After reviewing your letters of recommendation, it was determined that they did not fulfill our requirement due to the following reason(s):
  • No qualifying Physician letter
    • The physician letter received is missing the recommener's signature.
It also says to send it to Enrollment Data Services in Pomona, CA. I applied only to the Lebanon campus and thought they were separate?

On the how to prepare for your interview website, it states that the 30 minute panel interview will consist of behavioral-based questions. Does anyone know if this differs from last year's format? I'm trying to prep for my interview, and I don't know if I'm wasting my time if I just practice the standard questions.

+1 I would like to know this too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Where did you find out what last year's format was? Thanks in advance

Has anyone else received this message? I haven't had problems at any of the other schools.

After reviewing your letters of recommendation, it was determined that they did not fulfill our requirement due to the following reason(s):
  • No qualifying Physician letter
    • The physician letter received is missing the recommener's signature.
It also says to send it to Enrollment Data Services in Pomona, CA. I applied only to the Lebanon campus and thought they were separate?

This happened to me. My physician letter was not on letterhead, I sent them the letter directly in the mail updated. They told me the 2 required letters must be on letterhead or signed to be considered but all other LORs do not have to have be.

Where did you find out what last year's format was? Thanks in advance

Various sources such as the SDN page for WesternU and last year's thread. Last year there was an essay you had to write.

I've been having so much trouble with my application being marked complete because of the physician letters. I have 2 physicians. Naturally, I asked they be done on letter head and signed, but they are of course confidential. They've been accepted at 20+ schools, and I got notified they weren't signed last week. I then submitted it signed, and got another e-mail that it isn't on letter head and still won't be accepted....so now I have to ask the physicians to resubmit for the third time. Seriously delaying my app :( fingers crossed. I really like this school.

I've been having so much trouble with my application being marked complete because of the physician letters. I have 2 physicians. Naturally, I asked they be done on letter head and signed, but they are of course confidential. They've been accepted at 20+ schools, and I got notified they weren't signed last week. I then submitted it signed, and got another e-mail that it isn't on letter head and still won't be accepted....so now I have to ask the physicians to resubmit for the third time. Seriously delaying my app :( fingers crossed. I really like this school.

That's so strange. I just got an email from some school stating one of my letters was not on letterhead/signed as well, but I still got an interview invite from Western. It's a frustrating process given that we can't see the letters, so I definitely sympathize with you. The letter writer who didn't sign/letterhead this LOR did the same thing to me last time I asked for one, so I'm similarly frustrated.

How long did it take for any of you to receive the II after your application was marked complete?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

How long did it take for any of you to receive the II after your application was marked complete?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 day for both campuses

That's so strange. I just got an email from some school stating one of my letters was not on letterhead/signed as well, but I still got an interview invite from Western. It's a frustrating process given that we can't see the letters, so I definitely sympathize with you. The letter writer who didn't sign/letterhead this LOR did the same thing to me last time I asked for one, so I'm similarly frustrated.
It is very bizarre :/ That's amazing you were able to get an II though! I can't get my application complete because of this. The person directly told me they were putting it on letterhead too. Super frustrating. Hopefully we'll both have it settling soon. Fingers crossed. Good luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I guess the good and bad thing is we're not alone in this struggle :( Hopefully our letter writers will be quick about re-submission.
oops, I'm sorry i meant to reply to the person who said their "next steps" had disappeared from the page, but it didn't include their comment when I hit reply. I haven't had a problem with my letters (so far) but i hope you get it resolved!! I'm sorry you have to deal with that added stress :/ <3

Reactions: 1 users
Is it weird that I am still not processed by EDS for COMP - Lebanon, but already verified and received II for Pomona. For Pomona it only took 4 days and it has now been about 10 days for Lebanon excluding the weekend. I am also assuming that they have a lower applicant pool, so yeah, just wondering why it might be taking so long...

Hey everyone, I'm a new member to sdn. Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to make an account and join you all for the ride. Just received an II from Lebanon yesterday!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, I'm a new member to sdn. Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to make an account and join you all for the ride. Just received an II from Lebanon yesterday!

How long did it take for EDS to clear you?

Hey everyone , what did you put for the question " Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?" , Im not sure what to put for this. Should I explain why I got Cs in my 2nd year ? I already talked about that in personal statement.

Hey everyone , what did you put for the question " Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?" , Im not sure what to put for this. Should I explain why I got Cs in my 2nd year ? I already talked about that in personal statement.

If you've already talked about it then don't put it in there! Also I know it's too late now but just a heads up, many have advised against explaining grades in your personal statement.

If you've already talked about it then don't put it in there! Also I know it's too late now but just a heads up, many have advised against explaining grades in your personal statement.

is it okay if i dont put anything, to me it feels like an optional question but then again im not sure

I personally explained my grades in mine but I had 6 c's so I don't think 2 C's would be as significant unless something was occurring in your personal life

Unless that was a disaster of a semester relative to the rest of your college career, I wouldn't put that

I personally explained my grades in mine but I had 6 c's so I don't think 2 C's would be as significant unless something was occurring in your personal life

He didn't say 2 C's, he just said he got C's in his 2nd year of college

Does anyone know for the interview if its 20 min MMI and then 10 min for the panel interview? Or 20 min. MMI and then a 30 minute panel interview?

...I'm thinking its 20 and 30 but just wanted to be sure.

20 mmi 30 panel right?

Thats what would make sense to me. I was just reading their website:

"We interview using a hybrid of the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) and the traditional panel interview. You will participate in two MMI stations. At each station you will have two minutes to read the question or scenario. You will then be instructed to enter the interview room and participate in the scenario for eight minutes.

In the panel interview you can expect to be interviewed by a team of three, comprised of basic science and clinical faculty, staff and students. The interview will serve as an opportunity for you to demonstrate qualities that could not be fully assessed by your application alone. Your interviewers wish to learn more about you and to determine your compatibility with our program.

During the 30 minute interview you will be asked behavioral-based questions, meaning that you will be asked to draw from personal experience to formulate your answers. You may also be asked to discuss the factors you considered to arrive at your answer."

So I wasn't sure if the 3rd paragraph was just in reference to the 2nd or if it was a conclusion in reference to both the MMI and panel, meaning the entire interview is 30 minutes. lol I could definitely be over thinking this but just wanted to be prepared.

Edit: but then on the interview fact sheet it says the interview is 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Also, this pizza social, it says it's casual that mean casual dress like maybe a button up shirt and some jeans?

For the Lebanon campus, it was in an email I got a few days ago with interview day details, snuck it in the middle paragraph if you missed it:) they wanted an rsvp
Oh okay thanks! I have an interview at the Pomona campus.

Just interviewed yesterday. I loved the school so much, I hope I get accepted!!

Me too, though I didn't feel great about the interview so my hopes aren't high, but I love the school a ton, great atmosphere

Me too, though I didn't feel great about the interview so my hopes aren't high, but I love the school a ton, great atmosphere

Was it a tough interview? Or did you just not feel prepared?

Was it a tough interview? Or did you just not feel prepared?
No not terribly. I think everyone else felt really good about theirs. And I didn't feel unprepared, I just feel like I tripped up a little. It was my second interview and I felt amazing after the first one and I was prepared for a lot of the common questions. I wouldn't worry, I think it was just a personal thing for me specifically dealing with my history. You'll be fine, in general it's a really low stress interview

No not terribly. I think everyone else felt really good about theirs. And I didn't feel unprepared, I just feel like I tripped up a little. It was my second interview and I felt amazing after the first one and I was prepared for a lot of the common questions. I wouldn't worry, I think it was just a personal thing for me specifically dealing with my history. You'll be fine, in general it's a really low stress interview

Sometimes it happens. That happened to me during one of my interviews. Everyone else felt good and I felt terribly about it, but was fully aware it was a me issue. Sometimes it's a look one of the interviewers give you at the very beginning and a feeling you can't shake off.

Sometimes it happens. That happened to me during one of my interviews. Everyone else felt good and I felt terribly about it, but was fully aware it was a me issue. Sometimes it's a look one of the interviewers give you at the very beginning and a feeling you can't shake off.

Yeah that was exactly it. It started off with a slight fumble on my part and they kind of jumped on me for it and I just couldn't shake it the rest of the interview. They might have even done on purpose just to see if it did shake me. Good to know I'm not alone though thanks! How did it turn out for you after that interview?

Yeah that was exactly it. It started off with a slight fumble on my part and they kind of jumped on me for it and I just couldn't shake it the rest of the interview. They might have even done on purpose just to see if it did shake me. Good to know I'm not alone though thanks! How did it turn out for you after that interview?

I felt good about it. But I also felt good about a different school that I didn't get into so we'll see! You too, keep your head up because you never know. Will be looking forward to your outcome here on SDN :)

Edit: I thought you meant how my interview at WesternU went. My bad! I haven't gotten the results for the interview I flopped at yet. But in a way it's kind of relieving to not have high hopes for something and being less neurotic for at least 1 school, haha. Silver linings am I right?

I felt good about it. But I also felt good about a different school that I didn't get into so we'll see! You too, keep your head up because you never know. Will be looking forward to your outcome here on SDN :)

Edit: I thought you meant how my interview at WesternU went. My bad! I haven't gotten the results for the interview I flopped at yet. But in a way it's kind of relieving to not have high hopes for something and being less neurotic for at least 1 school, haha. Silver linings am I right?

Haha hey I really like that silver lining! I haven't thought of it that way. Because the school that I thought that I did really well at I've been neurotically checking the portal like 30 times a day since about an hour after the interview haha. But yeah, after this one I don't think I'll be checking the portal all that often, which sucks because it was definitely near the top of my list but I like to think I'll get and where I'm supposed to go. Comforts me at least haha. I'll definitely be posting in updating once I hear something! Thanks for the encouragement! And good luck to you!

Awesome! I interview in two weeks! Is the entire interview 30minutes or is it the MMI and then a 30 min panel?

Also when did they say you would hear back about decisions?!

Awesome! I interview in two weeks! Is the entire interview 30minutes or is it the MMI and then a 30 min panel?

Also when did they say you would hear back about decisions?!

2-3 week turn around. They meet for 6 hours every Thursday.

There's a 30 min interview and 2 5min MMIs. The order in which you do them depends on the group you're in, but the interviews/MMI are at the very beginning of the day.

Interviewed yesterday as well. Staff and student body seem awesome. Campus is fairly unique and the city is beautiful. Interviews were pretty mild in terms of how stressful they actually were.

Last edited:
Interviewed yesterday as well. Staff and student body seem awesome. Campus is fairly unique and the city is beautiful. Interviews were pretty mild in terms of how stressful they actually were.

Lebanon or Pomona?