2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody able to support this?

Based upon a website I viewed, in which the author states they got their information from the 'US News and World report'*:
≈390 are interviewed, ≈360 are accepted, ≈210 matriculate.
However, take it with a grain of salt, because
*edition (year) not specified.

I think this speaks volumes about WVSOM, however. They do not appear to over-interview people (which is good; if they're not truly interested in you, they will save you the $500+ in travel costs), and people seem to like the school so much that they actually choose to attend once they are accepted.

Edit: these numbers arise from ≈5,000 received applications (based upon the CIB).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Based upon a website I viewed, in which the author states they got their information from the 'US News and World report'*:
≈390 are interviewed, ≈360 are accepted, ≈210 matriculate.
However, take it with a grain of salt, because
*edition (year) not specified.

I think this speaks volumes about WVSOM, however. They do not appear to over-interview people (which is good; if they're not truly interested in you, they will save you the $500+ in travel costs), and people seem to like the school so much that they actually choose to attend once they are accepted.

That is awesome. I'm stoked to attend interviews in November.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary on 08/14, MCAT 499 and 3.6 sGPA. I did get an email 08/22 that my application would be considered later down the road due to the large volume of applications. For those of you accepted or offered II, do yall think I have a chance?

Submitted my secondary on 08/14, MCAT 499 and 3.6 sGPA. I did get an email 08/22 that my application would be considered later down the road due to the large volume of applications. For those of you accepted or offered II, do yall think I have a chance?

You absolutely have a chance. Your sGPA is great and WVSOM's average MCAT is 500 obviously meaning that they take both above and below that number. 499 is perfectly acceptable. I think you make a great candidate (assuming that you have adequate ECs and experience)...you just have to give admissions time. They go through thousands of applications so don't lose hope if they don't move as quickly as you'd like.

Reactions: 1 user

I have a 499 MCAT and a lower sGPA than you and I got accepted so you definitely have a chance! Like @jab12 said, there are a lot of applications and it is rolling admissions so all you have is time.

II! Do they reply fast to the requested date? I have to cancel a plane ticket by tonight if they let me interview that day.

II! Do they reply fast to the requested date? I have to cancel a plane ticket by tonight if they let me interview that day.
What are your stats and when were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

I remember them getting back to me really quickly within like an hour or so. Congratulations on the II

Accepted today!! Interviewed last Thursday (Sept. 14th)!! Awesome feeling. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today!! Interviewed last Thursday (Sept. 14th)!! Awesome feeling. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Jeez I can't get over how fast this school moves! Biggest congratulations!!! I'm sure it was well deserved. I know the interview involves multiple "parts" but was it at least a bit laid back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed on 8/10! Still haven't heard anything back :(

Do I realistically even have a chance at this school? I have a 3.20 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA, and a 502 MCAT (126-124-126-126) with about 1000 hours of clinical experience, volunteering, etc.

I am just wondering why they didn't:

1. Reject Me
OR
2. Defer decision/tell me that there are too many applicants right now to consider me, like they have done for other people.

Why am I still waiting if people who COMPLETED after me have gotten their decisions? If they don't want me, why don't they just reject me?! The WAIT...THE WAIT IS JUST KILLING ME.

Last edited:

Do I realistically even have a chance at this school? I have a 3.20 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA, and a 502 MCAT (126-124-126-126) with about 1000 hours of clinical experience, volunteering, etc.

1. Reject Me
OR
2. Defer decision/tell me that there are too many applicants right now to consider me, like they have done for other people.

Why am I still waiting if people who COMPLETED after me have gotten their decisions? If they don't want me, why don't they just reject me?! The WAIT...THE WAIT IS JUST KILLING ME.
Remember, we're marathoning here. Don't burn out early. :D

1. Reject Me
OR

I'm in the same boat. They're interviewing everyone who they think has a better shot at med school. We'll find out sometime in March.

Pre-med and physcian letter uploaded, hopefully this is a good sign!

II, completed a long time ago (can't look it up at the moment).

What were your stats if you guys don’t mind sharing? Also what’s the closest date for an interview available?
I got November 20th as the closest date, but my stats are: female, ~3.8cGPA and ~3.8sGPA
MCAT 1-495
MCAT 2-505 (just got yesterday, they don't have this score yet) --so they offered interview according to the 495

Stats if you don't mind me asking? Still waiting to hear from them!
undergrad gpa: 3.6; sci gpa: 3.5; grad gpa 4.0; sub 500 MCAT (by far worst part to my app); >2000 EC's;
Honestly believe this school is the perfect fit for me and I strived to make that apparent in my app

Reactions: 1 users
3.56 cumulative, 3.45 Science, 498/503 MCAT, diverse EC's

My application status showed "temp code Mcat ok" for a second. o_O and my checklist had like fifty things on it.

Now it's normal again? What gives?! The heart attacks are non-stop.

Complete on 8/10 and still have not heard anything. This is my top choice as of right now so hoping for some good news!

Just got this! :'(

Application Status: Decision Deferred

You absolutely have a chance. Your sGPA is great and WVSOM's average MCAT is 500 obviously meaning that they take both above and below that number. 499 is perfectly acceptable. I think you make a great candidate (assuming that you have adequate ECs and experience)...you just have to give admissions time. They go through thousands of applications so don't lose hope if they don't move as quickly as you'd like.

Thank you so much for the support, I got an interview invite today!!

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 499 MCAT and a lower sGPA than you and I got accepted so you definitely have a chance! Like @jab12 said, there are a lot of applications and it is rolling admissions so all you have is time.

Thank you so much for sharing your stats, I feel much better! I did get an invite today, so fingers crossed!!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much for sharing your stats, I feel much better! I did get an invite today, so fingers crossed!!

Yay good luck!! Interview day is so much fun :)

Reactions: 3 users
Jeez I can't get over how fast this school moves! Biggest congratulations!!! I'm sure it was well deserved. I know the interview involves multiple "parts" but was it at least a bit laid back?
Hello,

I had the first set of interviews this cycle (9/07) and was accepted (9/13). The entire group I interviewed with, myself included, were surprised how laid back and stress free the interviews were. Everyone you interact with throughout the day is super nice and friendly. Once you go into your interview and the nerves start to settle a bit, it is like having a normal conversation with a few people. All the questions were straight forward and it seemed like they were just getting to know you without asking any difficult questions. This school was towards the bottom of my list but after touring the beautiful campus and witnessing how friendly everyone was, I think I will be accepting the offer here shortly. Hope this helped!

Hello,

I had the first set of interviews this cycle (9/07) and was accepted (9/13). The entire group I interviewed with, myself included, were surprised how laid back and stress free the interviews were. Everyone you interact with throughout the day is super nice and friendly. Once you go into your interview and the nerves start to settle a bit, it is like having a normal conversation with a few people. All the questions were straight forward and it seemed like they were just getting to know you without asking any difficult questions. This school was towards the bottom of my list but after touring the beautiful campus and witnessing how friendly everyone was, I think I will be accepting the offer here shortly. Hope this helped!

I also interviewed on 09/07 and I 100% completely agree with everything Finn said. Good luck and congrats to those who just got IIs!

I'll be going to the open house in November to get a second look at the school as well. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there.

Last edited:
Stoked to be interviewing on Oct 5th!!

I interviewed on 9/15 and received the acceptance call on 9/19. While I was on the phone with the admissions coordinator I felt like an actual idiot because I didn't know what to say, I was so excited.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 9/15 and received the acceptance call on 9/19. While I was on the phone with the admissions coordinator I felt like an actual idiot because I didn't know what to say, I was so excited. I'm just curious if anyone else from my interview group is on here and has heard on their decision?
Couldn't have been worse than me, pretty sure I started crying when he was still on the line... :bag:

Hi everyone. I submitted my secondary on Aug 29, and the only materials under my checklist are "Disciplinary Questions" and "Supplemental Application." My application status says: "Under review." Should I be concerned? I'm getting anxious because the checklist has never showed any of my materials as received.

Hi everyone. I submitted my secondary on Aug 29, and the only materials under my checklist are "Disciplinary Questions" and "Supplemental Application." My application status says: "Under review." Should I be concerned? I'm getting anxious because the checklist has never showed any of my materials as received.

I'm in the same boat as you. Just gotta wait and find out. I've been refreshing my screen every hour and praying that good news comes soon.

I'm in the same boat as you. Just gotta wait and find out. I've been refreshing my screen every hour and praying that good news comes soon.

I am in the same boat as you guys. I submitted my secondary September 3rd and nothing else is showing up in the portal. I emailed admissions about a week ago and the lady said that they see my letters and they will update it as soon as they decide to offer me an II.