2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
retweet - super laid back, and really nice people in general!

Keeping my fingers crossed that we both hear good news within the next week and a half :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the prerequisite coursework confirmation of completion... hopefully an interview will be coming soon! Fingers crossed

Damn just got deferred decision, basically a rejection.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 495 (The red flag of doom!) I made it up with my extracurriculars and medical exposure

Retake the mcat!! You'll have a shot at even MD schools with that GPA.

Did you get an email from them regarding the deferred decision?

on the portal or via email?

Is a deferred decision in an email or on the portal?

Dear fans,

They gave this notice in an email. My portal does not reflect the deferred decision and still states "application under review."

The deferred decision email reassures me that they are still considering my application for later in the cycle. While I am not holding my breath for this, sounds like its fair to have at least a little hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a deferred decision too. I called and they said it was because they needed a copy of my permanent resident card. So they deferred until I send it in...

If I get an email that says: "Thank you for your interest in the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. We are pleased you have submitted your application for our consideration. Due to the high volume of applications we receive during the early stages of the application cycle, we currently have a limited number of interview slots available. We want to assure you that your application is still under consideration, and we will continue to update you regarding your status. The highest number of applications is generally received during the first few months of the application cycle; therefore, additional time is needed to review all files and extend interview offers. We appreciate your patience in this important process. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us." Does that mean my application has been deferred? :(

If I get an email that says: "Thank you for your interest in the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. We are pleased you have submitted your application for our consideration. Due to the high volume of applications we receive during the early stages of the application cycle, we currently have a limited number of interview slots available. We want to assure you that your application is still under consideration, and we will continue to update you regarding your status. The highest number of applications is generally received during the first few months of the application cycle; therefore, additional time is needed to review all files and extend interview offers. We appreciate your patience in this important process. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us." Does that mean my application has been deferred? :(

Sounds to me like that's not a deferred decision since they're literally telling you that you're still under consideration (aka review). But I would check your portal. I got an II but mine still say "application under review," just now it has my interview date. So if you've been deferred it would probably say there. Hope all goes well!

No!! They're just easing any anxious thoughts you may have for not hearing back quickly. They just want you to know that they're working on it, even if it takes a while to hear from them. They're just keeping you posted :)

It's like your date is going to be late to dinner and is contacting you to tell you they're in traffic hahaha

Reactions: 1 users
This is the exact email I received. I interpreted this as a deferred decision, i.e., probable rejection.

But it sounds like that is not the consensus. Others that received deferred decisions- is this the message you received?

Same, I would like to know from the deferred people if they received the same email as me. Thanks!

Just curious.... when did you finish your supplemental app

Same, I would like to know from the deferred people if they received the same email as me. Thanks!
No. If you are deferred, it will say, "Your application has been placed on hold (decision deferred)......" It won't be implied.
P.S. I was deferred because they needed a document from me and they told me about it after deferring me.

Well folks... looks like West Virginia just wants me to stay an extra night since hurricane Irma decided to delay my flight an extra day... so if anyone is staying here after interviews on 9/11 and wants to hang out/do something I'm game lol.

Good luck tomorrow guys! You're in for a great day

Thank you!! So excited!

keep calm and....png

keep-calm-and-ace-that-interview-8

Reactions: 2 users
Any chance of getting in here? Finished my master's degree 2 years ago. Been working in medical field including emt experience. Above average MCAT (70th percentile) but low undergrad GPA (3.0) due to some family issues. Lots of community service hours. I think I am a well rounded applicant but my undergrad GPA will probably hold me back. Submitted my secondaries mid August but haven't heard back. Any feedback?

This is the exact email I received. I interpreted this as a deferred decision, i.e., probable rejection.

But it sounds like that is not the consensus. Others that received deferred decisions- is this the message you received?
Never got an email about my Deferred Decision- A couple of days after getting the Pre-req email, I checked my portal, and my letters had been updated and my status said Decision Deferred - this was all about a month ago now.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting in here? Finished my master's degree 2 years ago. Been working in medical field including emt experience. Above average MCAT (70th percentile) but low undergrad GPA (3.0) due to some family issues. Lots of community service hours. I think I am a well rounded applicant but my undergrad GPA will probably hold me back. Submitted my secondaries mid August but haven't heard back. Any feedback?
How is your science GPA? From what I have seen WVSOM puts emphasis on sGPA and work/clinical experience. A 70th percentile MCAT is awesome and above their average.

I received an email last Friday saying that my application is still under review. This morning I checked my portal and my letters have been uploaded (not just updated in the checklist). They actually have notes saying the names of who has written my letters and the date they have uploaded them. Does this mean anything?
Thanks!

I received an email last Friday saying that my application is still under review. This morning I checked my portal and my letters have been uploaded (not just updated in the checklist). They actually have notes saying the names of who has written my letters and the date they have uploaded them. Does this mean anything?
Thanks!

Same. I don't think it means anything other than that we are still under review.

Thanks!
I didn't know that was a thing, can you maybe attach a screenshot of what you mean? excluding personal info obvi

I didn't know that was a thing, can you maybe attach a screenshot of what you mean? excluding personal info obvi

See:

...At least that is the message I received. Fairly certain that is the message that Cheese is referring to.

See:

...At least that is the message I received. Fairly certain that is the message that Cheese is referring to.
I was asking if @Cheese1222 could post a screenshot of the portal as it pertains to the LoR's that he was talking about.

I can pm you! There isn't a way for me to screenshot it without my personal info/physician names.

Does the physician letter have to be from a DO? I have one from an MD but not a DO.

Yes it has to be from a DO

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary on September 3rd, saw the checklist change and had the two letter columns plus the supplemental fee column appear the next day but they were not marked received. Today I log into the portal, the two LORs columns are gone lol. This weird, has it happened to anyone? Should I call or wait?

I submitted my secondary on September 3rd, saw the checklist change and had the two letter columns plus the supplemental fee column appear the next day but they were not marked received. Today I log into the portal, the two LORs columns are gone lol. This weird, has it happened to anyone? Should I call or wait?

I have my LORs in on the checklist but they do not say received, and I have already interviewed here. I wouldn't rely too much on the checklist! But you can always call if you want to make sure. The admissions department is so nice!

My letters just disappeared from my checklist, and it just says: disciplinary questions, supplemental application, and supplemental fee $80.

I HOPE THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A REJECTION!

I have my LORs in on the checklist but they do not say received, and I have already interviewed here. I wouldn't rely too much on the checklist! But you can always call if you want to make sure. The admissions department is so nice!
I would call but I don't want to be neurotic lol. They get enough neurotic calls and emails on a daily basis. I'll wait for now.

My letters just disappeared from my checklist, and it just says: disciplinary questions, supplemental application, and supplemental fee $80.

It can't be, don't be so pessimistic lol.

I would call but I don't want to be neurotic lol. They get enough neurotic calls and emails on a daily basis. I'll wait for now.

Yeah I really wouldn't worry about it! Just wait for the e-mail :)

Same here. I don't think this is a rejection.