2017-2018 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got invited for an interview next month! best of luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I had an interview at ESF COM and it was amazing. I honestly love the campus and the staff. They're all amazing and supportive. The atmosphere is great and you can tell that the ESF COM is truly different in the manner in which they want to train future physicians. They truly are holistic and I wish everyone the best of luck while interviewing! The staff really want to make it a low-stress kind of day!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all :hello:, been lurking for a few months, also interviewed yesterday at ESFCOM. Staff and students are super friendly and welcoming! We actually had the Dean come and meet all of us, and faculty speak to us from around the state. It would really be a privilege to train at this school, they are truly interested in training the next generation of great physicians and leaders. Its refreshing to see a school and community as excited about its students as this one!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all :hello:, been lurking for a few months, also interviewed yesterday at ESFCOM. Staff and students are super friendly and welcoming! We actually had the Dean come and meet all of us, and faculty speak to us from around the state. It would really be a privilege to train at this school, they are truly interested in training the next generation of great physicians and leaders. Its refreshing to see a school and community as excited about its students as this one!
Hey guys, I had an interview at ESF COM and it was amazing. I honestly love the campus and the staff. They're all amazing and supportive. The atmosphere is great and you can tell that the ESF COM is truly different in the manner in which they want to train future physicians. They truly are holistic and I wish everyone the best of luck while interviewing! The staff really want to make it a low-stress kind of day!

Thanks for your input! Any advice regarding the MMIs? :)

The website says that after the MMIs, you get like a 10-15 minutes with someone like a traditional interview. Do you guys have any advice or feedback on that as well?

Does anyone know if WSU accepts update letters? I have a new job I'd like to tell them about because I think it would help. I interviewed with them last year and haven't heard anything yet this round (secondary complete 7/18) and I'm starting to get quite anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if WSU accepts update letters? I have a new job I'd like to tell them about because I think it would help. I interviewed with them last year and haven't heard anything yet this round (secondary complete 7/18) and I'm starting to get quite anxious.
Same here. And no I don’t believe they accept update letters but I’d email to confirm.

They said at my interview that they are not taking updates/LOI's etc.

Anyone else worried about the possibility of being unable to demonstrate their personal qualities in an MMI heavy format? How does one distinguish themselves with the MMI scenarioes? I'm concerned that I will have 35 minutes of an MMI style interview but only 15 minutes to make my case in the traditional portion.

Anyone else worried about the possibility of being unable to demonstrate their personal qualities in an MMI heavy format? How does one distinguish themselves with the MMI scenarioes? I'm concerned that I will have 35 minutes of an MMI style interview but only 15 minutes to make my case in the traditional portion.
Yeah I found it difficult to connect with the person on the one on one last year because she asked me to repeat a lot from my app because it was closed file. I was WL and just thought that it wasn’t as effective a format for the one on one as it could have been.

Yeah I found it difficult to connect with the person on the one on one last year because she asked me to repeat a lot from my app because it was closed file. I was WL and just thought that it wasn’t as effective a format for the one on one as it could have been.

Are you saying the MMI interview isn't just strictly scenarios to act out?

Hey all, I submitted my primary mid September but have not received a secondary or a rejection. At this point in time which am I more likely to get? Seems like I would have received a secondary by now :(

Hey all, I submitted my primary mid September but have not received a secondary or a rejection. At this point in time which am I more likely to get? Seems like I would have received a secondary by now :(
I received a WSU secondary shortly after my primary was verified in mid September... I think I received it the same or the next day. WSU posts their primary application cutoffs. Do you meet them?

If yes, I would consider contacting WSU and asking.

Last edited:
Are you saying the MMI interview isn't just strictly scenarios to act out?
There was no acting. The MMIs were senario prompts and the interviewers simply asked your perspective on them.

Reactions: 1 users

I interviewed here last year as well. I felt the same way about the one-on-one. I really think that these would be more effective as open-file. It can be difficult to imagine all of the objections or concerns that a committee might have with regards to experiences... especially if your academic history or combined experience is rather lengthy. While a blinded interview probably relieved some forms of bias, I felt that I lacked the opportunity to 'set the record straight.' I always ask job interviewers directly if they are willing to disclose their greatest concerns, but it's not an option this way. I probably also wound up repeating myself 5x to convince them of a quality that they accepted on the first pass. When you're a little older, and the stories compete for relevance, it can be difficult to develop an elevator pitch that is genuine, relevant, and effortlessly-told.

Admittedly, as applicants we don't typically have a bird's-eye view of the process: sometimes the trade-offs appear different when seeing the full picture.

Enjoyed the MMI format, too! I had prepped for acting scenarios, so I was actually disappointed when they didn't happen. Comments are only with regards to previous year.

Reactions: 3 users
They said at my interview that they are not taking updates/LOI's etc.
And to confirm for everyone else, I emailed and they do not accept updates/LOI's until the waitlist period.

Thanks for your input! Any advice regarding the MMIs? :)

The website says that after the MMIs, you get like a 10-15 minutes with someone like a traditional interview. Do you guys have any advice or feedback on that as well?

Hi Harkas, since we all signed a confidentiality agreement we cannot share any details, but I guess the best advice I can give is to try to relax! They aren't tricky they are straight forward and the interviewers were all surprisingly friendly. Same goes for the part with the excom, they really just want to get to know you, so be yourself, it was actually a fun experience :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi Harkas, since we all signed a confidentiality agreement we cannot share any details, but I guess the best advice I can give is to try to relax! They aren't tricky they are straight forward and the interviewers were all surprisingly friendly (unlike the UW interview which was much more tense IMO). Same goes for the part with the excom, they really just want to get to know you, so be yourself, it was actually a fun experience :) Good luck!

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks! I know about the confidentiality, but there's been very little discussion about this school, the interview process, etc. (prob because its new) and I would love to learn more.

And thank you to everyone's thoughts above as well! It is much appreciated.

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks! I know about the confidentiality, but there's been very little discussion about this school, the interview process, etc. (prob because its new) and I would love to learn more.

And thank you to everyone's thoughts above as well! It is much appreciated.
Just prepare the same way you would for a regular interview. It's almost the same questions you would expect, just broken up into 10 or so (don't remember the exact number) stations for 5 minutes a piece. There was nothing crazy at WSU that seemed like it was purposefully meant to throw you off (unlike other MMIs I had). No actors, no brutal philosophical questions, if there were any ethics stuff it wasn't rough. Most people will probably feel like they bombed one or two. Remember it's accumulative so don't lose it if you feel that way on one or two. Just rinse and repeat at each station.

It's just worrisome given that so many people interview but so few get accepted.

Assuming catch ratio = accepted:matriculate ratio

I interviewed here last year as well. I felt the same way about the one-on-one. I really think that these would be more effective as open-file. It can be difficult to imagine all of the objections or concerns that a committee might have with regards to experiences... especially if your academic history or combined experience is rather lengthy. While a blinded interview probably relieved some forms of bias, I felt that I lacked the opportunity to 'set the record straight.' I always ask job interviewers directly if they are willing to disclose their greatest concerns, but it's not an option this way. I probably also wound up repeating myself 5x to convince them of a quality that they accepted on the first pass. When you're a little older, and the stories compete for relevance, it can be difficult to develop an elevator pitch that is genuine, relevant, and effortlessly-told.

Admittedly, as applicants we don't typically have a bird's-eye view of the process: sometimes the trade-offs appear different when seeing the full picture.

Enjoyed the MMI format, too! I had prepped for acting scenarios, so I was actually disappointed when they didn't happen. Comments are only with regards to previous year.

This concerns me as I am a non-traditional student with a relatively long and lengthy work and academic history. I hope I have the chance to explain everything, outline all of my strengths as a candidate, and make my case for a seat.

This concerns me as I am a non-traditional student with a relatively long and lengthy work and academic history. I hope I have the chance to explain everything, outline all of my strengths as a candidate, and make my case for a seat.
Same here.

Without getting too specific, there is one station that is longer than most that you will have a chance to.

Without getting too specific, there is one station that is longer than most that you will have a chance to.
That’s the one on one with the adcom member. We’ve been discussing that. They publish that that is a 15 min interview on the website.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II!! Complete 9/10.

any more IIs?
I feel like these are being sent out randomly.....then again, people could also not be posting them onto here.

Has anyone received an acceptance here or know of anyone who has been accepted?

Has anyone received an acceptance here or know of anyone who has been accepted?
They said at my interview in Sept that acceptances would start to go out "by the end of the year". To my (very incomplete) knowledge, no one has been accepted yet.

It's weird cuz I swear they said decisions will start going out mid to end of December at my interview day ??

All they said at my interview (which I think was the first one of the season) was that they would start by the end of the year

During the interviews on the 27th they told us that a batch of decisions would come out in mid November and another in December. The rest would be in the new year, but they didn't know when yet.

Has anyone gotten an interview here recently?

To not answer your question but provide related information, I was complete late September and have not heard anything back.
I was also complete then. I called and they said that my application had passed the first phase of screening but had not gone through the second phase yet. Who knows ‍♀️

I was also complete then. I called and they said that my application had passed the first phase of screening but had not gone through the second phase yet. Who knows ‍♀️
I interviewed there last year and was waitlisted. I reapplied in August and haven’t heard a thing.

Ooh I didn't know we could call. Tempting...

But also am not sure I want to know.