2017-2018 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submitted my secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Also incoming MS-1 here! Dropping by because SDN was my life during application process last year haha. I think the first interview date for this cycle is September 15th, which means II should go out at least by the end of this month. And yes, I think they told us last year that once applicants are selected to interview, the stats are basically thrown out the window during the final steps of consideration.

Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted my secondary today. My stats are lower than the MD average (LizzyM: 65). I'm non-traditional and wrote extensively about my desire to practice rural medicine and have a strong public service background. Really hoping for a chance to interview here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they accept OOS? 501 3.6/3.4?
I believe you have to have 3 of 4:

• Born in Washington
• Childhood address in Washington
• Graduated from a Washington high school
• Parent/guardian currently lives in Washington

II just now, 2 September dates are offered and I can't make either so I guess I'm calling their office tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After we finish up this first week - I'm going to write a quick summary of my thoughts so far.

The sparknotes version until then; the staff is simply amazing. The length they are going to for us is unbelievable. I know admissions keeps an eye on this thread - and they can pass this along - but as an example our IT team is tirelessly listening to our feedback, working with our student body, and generally putting in a herculean effort all around. I cannot express how supported our entire class feels, and how much we appreciate what everyone is doing. Also admission could not have put together a better inaugural class. I honestly haven't met a single person I haven't got along with, and whom I'm not excited to be going on this journey with.

The moral of this rant; if you are considering ESFCOM, don't discount the opportunities, support, innovation, etc that the school has to offer. Many classmates turned down opportunities at established and respected institutions, and feel they absolutely made the right decision. Yes it's new, yes there are going to be growing pains and already have been some, but I 1000% would recommend joining our second class if you are afforded the opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
After we finish up this first week - I'm going to write a quick summary of my thoughts so far.

The sparknotes version until then; the staff is simply amazing. The length they are going to for us is unbelievable. I know admissions keeps an eye on this thread - and they can pass this along - but as an example our IT team is tirelessly listening to our feedback, working with our student body, and generally putting in a herculean effort all around. I cannot express how supported our entire class feels, and how much we appreciate what everyone is doing. Also admission could not have put together a better inaugural class. I honestly haven't met a single person I haven't got along with, and whom I'm not excited to be going on this journey with.

The moral of this rant; if you are considering ESFCOM, don't discount the opportunities, support, innovation, etc that the school has to offer. Many classmates turned down opportunities at established and respected institutions, and feel they absolutely made the right decision. Yes it's new, yes there are going to be growing pains and already have been some, but I 1000% would recommend joining our second class if you are afforded the opportunity.

Another MS1 here dropping in to say I 100% agree with what @mavric1298 said. Everyday I am continually astonished by the amount of support we have here from the countless mentors and coaches individually and personally assigned to ensure your success, to the faculty who deeply care about you as a person. Not just academically, but making sure you as a person are doing well. I mean it has only been one week so far, but they repeatedly prove how much they care and I would feel comfortable going to any of the faculty for help with any issues. Attending here was honestly one of the best decisions I ever made. Hope to see you all next year, good luck!

OOS II!!! Invite says they will notify 3 weeks before your interview of the date.

I completed the secondary back in late July, but haven't heard back at all since then :/

I'm definitely on the lower side with a LizzyM of 65, but I also just recently got an II at the University of Washington, despite having completed their secondary a couple weeks later and them presumably being more "competitive". WA resident, raised and went to undergrad here.

Am I just getting paranoid or is this not a great sign?
In the same boat, I submitted my secondary mid-July with lizzym of 73, but still silence. I'm sure we'll hear back soon!

In the same boat, I submitted my secondary mid-July with LizzyM of 73, but still silence. I'm sure we'll hear back soon!
Same here. I was waitlisted at WSU last year. Silence from UW so far too. But I submitted 8/8 to both schools.

Do we know what it was like last year?

yeah, they have the stats on their website. 332 interviewed, class of 60. Doesn't say how many offers, but it does give a "catch rate" of 1.52:1. However, I don't know what a catch rate is.

Anyway, last year was the first class, started off cycle of amcas, etc. So i don't know how much stock to put in those numbers.

yeah, they have the stats on their website. 332 interviewed, class of 60. Doesn't say how many offers, but it does give a "catch rate" of 1.52:1. However, I don't know what a catch rate is.

Anyway, last year was the first class, started off cycle of amcas, etc. So i don't know how much stock to put in those numbers.
Link?

it does give a "catch rate" of 1.52:1. However, I don't know what a catch rate is.

My read of this is that they offered 1.52 acceptances for every eventual matriculan, so they issued 91 acceptances.

II to WSU last night.

I don't think UW is necessarily more competitive. Yes they are ranked the best school in the country, but most WWAMI residents above a 3.2/499 w/shadowing get an II. Although, UW is extremely holistic when it comes down to acceptance day. Plus the school has a huge number of seats. WSU is a tiny school (60 seats) and has a very defined mission (rural health in WA state). You could be LizzyMaxed out and still not get an II if you don't fit into that mission in some way.

Having been a medical scribe for 3+ years in WA state, I've seen multiple people with 3.5/30, excellent ECs not get in until their second or third try at UW, despite having well rounded applications. A 499, even as a WWAMI student, is still incredibly dangerous unless you are URM. And even though they have a large number of seats, they are getting a lot of applications. Based on their little acceptance table, they like to accept middle of the road applicants, probably because they are the most well-rounded. Hence their matriculation MCAT average of 506.

Its interview week, time to get excited! Anyone else going this Friday?

Some info from the interview yesterday that may be of interest to people here:
- They aim to give ~330 - 360 IIs
- Acceptances will start to go out "by the end of the year"

Overall, I was very impressed by my day at WSU. Things are running very smoothly despite being only in their first year.

Some info from the interview yesterday that may be of interest to people here:
- They aim to give ~330 - 360 IIs
- Acceptances will start to go out "by the end of the year"

Overall, I was very impressed by my day at WSU. Things are running very smoothly despite being only in their first year.
but that's like an 18% post interview acceptance rate :(

but that's like an 18% post interview acceptance rate :(

I know, I was thinking the same thing. I want to say it's because they are a new school and anticipate being a second choice? Idk.

Does anyone know if they moved through the waitlist a lot last year?

I know, I was thinking the same thing. I want to say it's because they are a new school and anticipate being a second choice? Idk.

Does anyone know if they moved through the waitlist a lot last year?

I would think the majority of Washington applicants accepted to both UW and WSU would choose UW. The number of those people couple be substantial relative to the number of seats at WSU. There are also the folks who would choose an out-of-state school over WSU simply because its a new program so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave 120 acceptances for last years class. Of course this is pure conjecture.

I would think the majority of Washington applicants accepted to both UW and WSU would choose UW. The number of those people couple be substantial relative to the number of seats at WSU. There are also the folks who would choose an out-of-state school over WSU simply because its a new program so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave 120 acceptances for last years class. Of course this is pure conjecture.

You should probably check the stats wazzu published, specifically the catch ratio, prior to tossing out random numbers.

You should probably check the stats wazzu published, specifically the catch ratio, prior to tossing out random numbers.

Yes it was conjecture as I stated in my post. I hope you didn't take my comment as gospel.