2017-2018 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard from this school yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone just get an email regarding the appeal form? I thought it was Washington residents OR the "from Washington" criteria.

Did anyone just get an email regarding the appeal form? I thought it was Washington residents OR the "from Washington" criteria.
I just got one. IDK why though...I clearly meet 3/4 of the requirements and I am a resident.

Yeahh I meet every single criteria. Haven't lived anywhere but WA except for college and was born in WA and went to high school in WA. My parents were born in WA and live here.
:shrug:

Yeahh I meet every single criteria. Haven't lived anywhere but WA except for college and was born in WA and went to high school in WA. My parents were born in WA and live here.
:shrug:
That's crazy. Well, hopefully this form gets processed quickly.

Website clearly states, "If you are a not a legal resident of Washington, you must demonstrate that you are “from Washington” by meeting at least 3 of these 4 requirements..."

"All applicants who are considered to be “from Washington” complete the same review process for admission as legal Washington residents."

I think if we're a WA resident, but don't meet 3 of the 4 we're still good.

I think they might've sent that email out to everyone.

Wow I thought I was the only one. I meet 3 out of 4 criteria but spent 7 months in Boston this past year so I thought that was why.

Re-applicant, WA resident. I think it was sent out to everyone in error. Whoops!

Got the email saying it was a glitch and that I do meet the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Received! @WedgeDawg @gyngyn @Lucca

Prompts are as follows:

Please submit an additional statement (< 500 words), addressing the following areas in your essay:

• How do you think you can or will contribute to the mission and vision of the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine in developing solutions?
  • Your strongest or most important connections to the state of Washington and the people who live here
  • Your motivation to train as a physician and serve the communities of Washington
  • Your goals as a physician, including your interests in practicing medicine in rural or underserved communities
  • Other relevant considerations

In addition to the autobiographical statement please answer the following 3 questions (less than 300 words each):

1) Describe a difficult obstacle you have overcome. How did it shape your perspective?(300 words max)

2) Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.(300 words max)

3) If you are a re-applicant, describe what you have done since last applying to strengthen your candidacy for medical school. If you are not a re-applicant, please leave blank.(300 words max)

Last edited:
Wow they really changed those questions. All that time prewriting this secondary ...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It sure looks like they took a peek at the UW questions :)

Plus question #2 is a direct copy and paste of a TMDSAS essay :)

Haven't recieved the secondary yet. I haven't sent them my letters though. Do I have to do this before I recieve the secondary?

I know this was asked prior, does anyone have accepted stat info?

I applied here last year and thinking I would need to reapply, I had a conference with Leila. I've since gotten off two waitlists but wanted to give some thoughts after looking through this thread.

There is a connection between TMDSAS and this school, Leila came to WSU last fall/winter from Texas A&M. I don't know exactly what she did but during conferences with Texas schools, when I mentioned WSU, some of them asked if I had met her.

After reaching the initial thresholds for GPA/MCAT, your stats are no longer taken into consideration. Not during the blind MMIs and not during admission committee meetings. They are held blind to your stats as they want to look at things other than numbers. Obviously, that helps people whose stats might be a little below average and hurts those people who have high stats. Because of that, I imagine that the accepted stats will be lower than many MD programs.

From their website:

MINIMUM MCAT AND GPA COMBINATIONS
You must meet one of the following standards at the time you apply.

• If undergraduate cumulative GPA is 3.8 or higher, then 27th percentile rank or higher on either version of the MCAT
  • If undergraduate cumulative GPA is 3.6 or higher, then 43rd percentile rank or higher on either version of the MCAT
  • If undergraduate cumulative GPA is 2.6 or higher, then 61st percentile rank or higher on either version of the MCAT
On interview day, Leila mentioned that they follow this thread. They will not respond officially on this forum but they may respond to misconceptions or questions they see here in official emails.

Best of luck to you all.

Has anybody still not received a secondary application? I submitted AMCAS June 2 and was verified June 13...

Are all of you above IS? Because if so, I would recommend sending a quick email to WSU as I got my secondary a while back and there hasn't been any more SDN activity about them since.

Are all of you above IS? Because if so, I would recommend sending a quick email to WSU as I got my secondary a while back and there hasn't been any more SDN activity about them since.

Yes, I am IS. I got an email from them earlier that stated I did not meet the WA residency requirements only to get another email 3 hours later stating it was a mistake on their end and that I did meet the requirements (I've been a WA resident for 12 years so my blood pressure definitely rose when I saw the first email haha).

Yeah I got that email too. I think almost everyone IS got it in fact. Regardless, I would suggest sending a polite email expressing your absolute infatuation with WSU and the unbreakable desire you have to submit their secondary.

Yeah I got that email too. I think almost everyone IS got it in fact. Regardless, I would suggest sending a polite email expressing your absolute infatuation with WSU and the unbreakable desire you have to submit their secondary.

I actually called them this morning and they said they are still in the process of sending out secondaries to all applicants. The person on the phone also mentioned that the school has not received my LORs from AMCAS yet and I didn't really know what to say about that since I feel like that's a process that's between AMCAS and the school.

Submitted my AMCAS on July 2, and still not verified.......anyone else in the same boat, or is it just me?

I actually called them this morning and they said they are still in the process of sending out secondaries to all applicants. The person on the phone also mentioned that the school has not received my LORs from AMCAS yet and I didn't really know what to say about that since I feel like that's a process that's between AMCAS and the school.

Yeah, the AMCAS LORs thing has been slowing my progress with other schools also (Yale, Temple, etc...) Nothing we or the school can do about it though, it's entirely on AMCAS to send them over.

Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.(300 words max)

Is this a diversity statement then...? It also says "that would add to the educational environment"

Learning from others is enhanced in educational settings that include individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Please describe your personal characteristics or experiences that would add to the educational environment for your classmates.(300 words max)

Is this a diversity statement then...? It also says "that would add to the educational environment"

Yeah I treated it as a "how would you enrich the class" question and added in how that would benefit my classmates.

Shout out to all reapplicants.

does anyone know or have heard from Admissions when IIs will be coming out? last year it was near the end of December which is pretty late...

does anyone know or have heard from Admissions when IIs will be coming out? last year it was near the end of December which is pretty late...
Theyve been sending them out. They first verify you meet minimum academic and residency requirements. They also won't send you a secondary before you have the min letters of Rec submitted. That's what held mine up. I was waiting on a letter.

Theyve been sending them out. They first verify you meet minimum academic and residency requirements. They also won't send you a secondary before you have the min letters of Rec submitted. That's what held mine up. I was waiting on a letter.

II = interview invite.

They sent it out in December cause the secondary was sent out in October.

Hey everyone,
I submitted a residency appeal form that was confirmed received on June 6. Haven't heard anything since. Do you all think I've fallen through the cracks on this and should contact them?

Hey everyone,
I submitted a residency appeal form that was confirmed received on June 6. Haven't heard anything since. Do you all think I've fallen through the cracks on this and should contact them?

They sent out residency appeal forms to a bunch of people who met the WA criteria on accident and sent a follow up email about it, so it's possible they might've just ignored it. Were you in this group? If not and you actually did need to send an appeal form, yes I would contact them since its been 2 months.

They sent out residency appeal forms to a bunch of people who met the WA criteria on accident and sent a follow up email about it, so it's possible they might've just ignored it. Were you in this group? If not and you actually did need to send an appeal form, yes I would contact them since its been 2 months.
This happened to me. I filed the appeal form anyways and called and they said they made a mistake and they corrected it. I would just double check to make sure you're application is in the right pile.

Incoming M-1, let me know if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer! I'll come straight out and say that the staff has been fantastic throughout this process. Those of you who applied last cycle and went through the changing dates and moving timelines, just know that everyone at the school is really working hard on getting everything up and running. I had several other acceptances, and none of the other schools even remotely were as communicative and supportive as ESFCOM has been so far. So good luck, and again, I'll try to answer what I can from a students perspective

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Incoming M-1, let me know if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer! I'll come straight out and say that the staff has been fantastic throughout this process. Those of you who applied last cycle and went through the changing dates and moving timelines, just know that everyone at the school is really working hard on getting everything up and running. I had several other acceptances, and none of the other schools even remotely were as communicative and supportive as ESFCOM has been so far. So good luck, and again, I'll try to answer what I can from a students perspective

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Thank you for dropping by!
Honestly I hate to be that guy, but what's the low down on stats here. the other WA school seems to do a decent job of picking people not scores, and with WSU's community-based mission, I hope it's gonna be along those lines. If you don't have any hard numbers thats cool, just wanna hear some thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
So n=1 but I was a non-trad who did grade repair, so my scores based on AMCAS weren't fantastic. I think someone else said, that scores kinda go out the window once you're past that requirement (which I seem to remember hearing too, but don't quote me on that). Look at our class profile just based on observations, and talking to a few fellow classmates (we haven't started yet) I would say they did a great job of following their mission. Obviously it's super hard to judge by FB profiles and such, but I'm very excited for our class. I can 100% say that I didn't have that same feeling at other places I was accepted. We have been using Slack to communicate, and everyone has been eager and passionate about getting the school really up and going. From student leadership, to starting clubs, or figuring out ways we want to work with the community, everything is new - and we have people really taking the lead to get these things going. That's one of the amazing things about being a charter class, we really get a say in what our school looks like, and the staff has been super supportive.

It does leave the onus on us a bit, but I think that's a good thing. We get to mold the school into what we want to see. Is there a topic your interested in but no club yet? Go out and form it! Etc.

So yeah that's my thoughts on the issue; and sorry we don't have any stats - has anyone checked if they published in MSAR? I obviously don't have a sub anymore. If they haven't, you could always reach out and ask them and see if they would be willing to share our classes profile. I'm not even sure if they have it yet, but can't hurt to ask

Reactions: 3 users
Mavric, when did you get in? I've followed you for over a year (on the UW board and here) and am so happy WSU came to its senses and admitted you.

So n=1 but I was a non-trad who did grade repair, so my scores based on AMCAS weren't fantastic. I think someone else said, that scores kinda go out the window once you're past that requirement (which I seem to remember hearing too, but don't quote me on that). Look at our class profile just based on observations, and talking to a few fellow classmates (we haven't started yet) I would say they did a great job of following their mission. Obviously it's super hard to judge by FB profiles and such, but I'm very excited for our class. I can 100% say that I didn't have that same feeling at other places I was accepted. We have been using Slack to communicate, and everyone has been eager and passionate about getting the school really up and going. From student leadership, to starting clubs, or figuring out ways we want to work with the community, everything is new - and we have people really taking the lead to get these things going. That's one of the amazing things about being a charter class, we really get a say in what our school looks like, and the staff has been super supportive.

It does leave the onus on us a bit, but I think that's a good thing. We get to mold the school into what we want to see. Is there a topic your interested in but no club yet? Go out and form it! Etc.

So yeah that's my thoughts on the issue; and sorry we don't have any stats - has anyone checked if they published in MSAR? I obviously don't have a sub anymore. If they haven't, you could always reach out and ask them and see if they would be willing to share our classes profile. I'm not even sure if they have it yet, but can't hurt to ask

Yeah I was just looking at too after someone sent me a message and I was going back to jog my memory, and those are clearly just the min requirements. Maybe it was after II's they throw out scores - I know for a fact that's what happens at OHSU basically, they only use score to break ties (you get points based on EC's, a one on one interview, and your MMI) the told us as much. I swear they said something about it - but maybe I have Alzheimer's. Let me see if I wrote anything down in my notes from II days