**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question: I've done some review in the past but my mcat is in 9 weeks- how do I do a meaningful content review and practice in this time?

I'm really nervous yet excited!
Personally, I made summaries for each content area but make sure that w/in 1.5 months you're shifting to mainly practice as that is the key to the MCAT.
Thanks so much! This is literally the most tedious part of the application, smh.
Tell me about it. Threw back 20 shots after finishing the section.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I made summaries for each content area but make sure that w/in 1.5 months you're shifting to mainly practice as that is the key to the MCAT.

Tell me about it. Threw back 20 shots after finishing the section.

So you just read one section/chapter, summarized and did practice questions?

I'm just so lost studying for this exam- it's a huge undertaking.

Quick question: I've done some review in the past but my mcat is in 9 weeks- how do I do a meaningful content review and practice in this time?

I'm really nervous yet excited!

I haven't taken yet either, but my steps going forward will be practice exams/questions banks and reviewing every single question. Then more review based on what I got wrong. Then do it all over again with a new FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you just read one section/chapter, summarized and did practice questions?

I'm just so lost studying for this exam- it's a huge undertaking.
Not necessarily in that order. Prioritize understanding from your mistakes. So if I was doing the endocrinology section of a bio book (I'm assuming you've already read through all the books once), I would do all the problems available ( from the outside resources and AAMC materials) and summarize high yield items, big picture ideas, and things I was having trouble comprehending. I would review this during breaks just to make sure I wasn't forgetting old content as I continued along. Then, a few days before my next practice full length I would review a good chunk of these "summary notes" ( alternating areas of course).

It's super important that you schedule every hour of every day as you go forth so you don't find yourself missing content or in a time crunch. But prioritize practice and reviewing mistakes - the best way to never repeat a mistake again is to have drilled it into your mind.

Thanks for the great advice! I think mcatjellys plan sounds good- has anyone here used it?

Not necessarily in that order. Prioritize understanding from your mistakes. So if I was doing the endocrinology section of a bio book (I'm assuming you've already read through all the books once), I would do all the problems available ( from the outside resources and AAMC materials) and summarize high yield items, big picture ideas, and things I was having trouble comprehending. I would review this during breaks just to make sure I wasn't forgetting old content as I continued along. Then, a few days before my next practice full length I would review a good chunk of these "summary notes" ( alternating areas of course).

It's super important that you schedule every hour of every day as you go forth so you don't find yourself missing content or in a time crunch. But prioritize practice and reviewing mistakes - the best way to never repeat a mistake again is to have drilled it into your mind.

Who asks why you left?
And if your saying the admissions officers are going to ask (which I doubt) this is what I would say for example;
Them: Why did you leave your job at Walmart?
You: I needed more time to focus on school OR I kept having scheduling issues because I needed more time off from school

See you answered the question without divulging more then was necessary so even if they called your contact you still didn't lie about anything. I think you working is a good experience to add and I can understand you not wanting them to look at you negatively for being fired.
On AMCAS. If you select you were terminated (can't remember how it says it) but they ask if you were fired to explain why

Or maybe it's the reason why you left.

Most schools have student host programs and are very receptive to hosting minority students. Last cycle I stayed with a host for every interview except two (both were last minute interviews). I usually used Southwest for booking flights. If booked in advance, flights can be very cheap (like ~$80-$100) for roundtrip.

I think $1,700 should be more than enough for travel expenses, but this will depend on the number of interviews you receive and also on whether or not you stay with a student host. I probably spent around $2,000 in travel expenses (I used uber a lot too).

As far as the first question, most medical schools will not know whether or not you have been fired from your job unless you list your job as an activity in AMCAS (you will have to provide contact information for that specific activity). They can find out that way or if you bring it up during an interview or essay. Otherwise, the only way a medical school can find out about an offense would be an institutional action, which shows up on your transcript or some sort of criminal offense. There have been cases where traffic tickets have shown up on individuals background checks, but this depends on the state you are from.

How medical schools view getting fired from a job? Probably negatively, but it will depend on the circumstances. Not all job firings are due to the actions of the individual in question.

How early in advance did you book your tickets?

Reactions: 1 user
How early in advance did you book your tickets?

As soon as I received an interview. For example, a lot of the interviews I received in the summer were ideal for booking early flights because many of the schools didn't actually start interviews until mid-September. I would say I booked flights at least one month (sometimes two months in advance) in advance for most interviews. I received two last minute interviews and so I had to pay a lot for those tickets. I hope this helps.

I would caution that cross country flights are inevitably more expensive. I only interviewed in the midwest and east coast, but the same principle applies.

Last edited:
As soon as I received an interview. For example, a lot of the interviews I received in the summer were ideal for booking early flights because many of the schools didn't actually start interviews until mid-September. I would say I booked flights at least one month (sometimes two months in advance) in advance for most interviews. I received two last minute interviews and so I had to pay a lot for those tickets. I hope this helps.

I would caution that cross country flights are inevitably more expensive. I only interviewed in the midwest and east coast, but the same principle applies.
Thanks man! :)

You're my SHERO. I'm looking at your mdapps and I'm blown away. I think we'll end up having near identical stats. I'm hoping for half the love you received! You're also matriculating to my #1. I hope to see you there next year!
Oh my goodness :shy: You're too kind! Our community is filled with success, it was definitely inspiring to see how everyone's journey unfolded in the 2016-2017 thread :love: We're all in your corner for this cycle, 2017-2018'ers! @OchemOficionado If you have any questions throughout the cycle (and/or specifically about UCLA) feel free to hit me up, here or in PMs!

Reactions: 3 users
Feels weird to finally be applying after watching last years thread, a lot of big shoes to fill.

Background: AA male; non traditional currently working in an Analytical chemistry lab.
GPA: 3.48 sGPA cGPA (upward trend, 3.95 average my last 2 years)
Major: Neuroscience
MCAT: 513- 126 129 129 129 2nd try. my first mcat score was : 128, 124 127 130.
EC:
  1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): I did typical hospital volunteering for about a year, then joined a student run clinic at my university for about 2 years. Scribed for 5 months but had to quit because working 7 days a week full time in a research lab and per diem as a scribe sucks.
  2. Research experience and productivity: I was in an undergraduate neuroscience research lab for about a year as an undergrad no posters or presentation(250 hours) . after I graduated I started working in an analytical chemistry lab at my University (~5300 hours (60-70 hours a week)) ; four possible publications at the end of this year (2-4th authors).
  3. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours between a Hospitalist at my universities medical school and Chief of Nephrology at the same institution.
  4. Non-clinical volunteering: volunteered cooking for undeserved community in my city through out undergrad. volunteered at a head start program helping children from a low SES background for a year. Currently I cook and delivery bread weekly for the homeless.
  5. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Tutored math for about a year at my college, Honors coed Frat for about a year and a founding member of a voluntering organization at my University.
  6. I like to lift weights, and currently training for a triathlon.
I made a WAMC earlier this year with a preliminary school list but any further help would be greatly appreciated.
School list:
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Colombia
Mayo
Darthmouth
UCSF
UCR
UCD
UCSD
UCI
USC
Emory
Pitt
University of Colorado
Indiana University school of medicine
George Washington
Temple
Wake forest
Tulane
Vermont
Ohio
U Colorado
Medical college of Wisconsin
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Utah

Your list is really good. I am guessing you are instate in Cali and hence the heavy Cali Schools? Might I suggest adding Stony Brook, UIC, Case Western, Rochester, Iowa, UCONN and Cornell. Also make sure you are checking the OOS percentages (I believe the rule of thumb should be around 30%, check on MSAR) for some of the schools on your list like Vermont and Utah. Also, be aware that everyone applies to places like gtown, GW, temple, drexel etc, so compensate for that by adding some low applicant numbered schools... MSAR is a good resource for this.

Your list is really good. I am guessing you are instate in Cali and hence the heavy Cali Schools? Might I suggest adding Stony Brook, UIC, Case Western, Rochester, Iowa, UCONN and Cornell. Also make sure you are checking the OOS percentages (I believe the rule of thumb should be around 30%, check on MSAR) for some of the schools on your list like Vermont and Utah. Also, be aware that everyone applies to places like gtown, GW, temple, drexel etc, so compensate for that by adding some low applicant numbered schools... MSAR is a good resource for this.
Thank you =], I am indeed a California resident. I will definitely add you're suggestions to my school list. Ill def remove the low OOS schools; editing my post now. (purchased a sub to MSAR :D)

question:

For the work activities I want have a section called academic recognition.

for deans list, and scholarships. I really just want to lump sum both of theses under "academic recognition" because i don't want it to look like I am trying to fill up space.
But the contact person for all of these is different.
Im sure we all have had multiple scholarships, some coming from church, university, hospitals etc.
So should i just split up each individual scholarship, and list dean's list as a separate thing?? Its a little hard to manage this because they require a contact for each activity. I cant just put one contact for all of my different scholarships.

EDIT*
also should I include a clinical experience that I only held for two weeks during sophomore year?
and my part-time job I had for just freshman fall semester?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
question:

For the work activities I want have a section called academic recognition.

for deans list, and scholarships. I really just want to lump sum both of theses under "academic recognition" because i don't want it to look like I am trying to fill up space.
But the contact person for all of these is different.
Im sure we all have had multiple scholarships, some coming from church, university, hospitals etc.
So should i just split up each individual scholarship, and list dean's list as a separate thing?? Its a little hard to manage this because they require a contact for each activity. I cant just put one contact for all of my different scholarships.

EDIT*
also should I include a clinical experience that I only held for two weeks during sophomore year?
and my part-time job I had for just freshman fall semester?

A good way to lump sum multiple activities under one title is to put the contact information, name and date for one experience where they ask and then in the 700 character description put the contact information and dates for your other scholarships. That is how I handled my shadowing experiences. I combined the hours into total hours and put the contact information for one of my shadowing experiences where they ask for it. Then in the description I put the contact information for all my other shadowing experiences, the dates and exact hours breakdown.

Also the job I think is good to put down. Not sure about the clinical experience, if you still have activities to add and it was more than like 20 hours I say go for it.

Not sure if anyone has advice on this but I am working on the AMCAS activities section and I realize an activity I want to designate as most meaningful was explored in my personal statement extensively. Should I not mark it as "most meaningful" in the activities section to prevent redundancy?

Anybody know any MD Schools with a preference for heavy research students?

Not sure if anyone has advice on this but I am working on the AMCAS activities section and I realize an activity I want to designate as most meaningful was explored in my personal statement extensively. Should I not mark it as "most meaningful" in the activities section to prevent redundancy?

It depends. One of my "most meaningful" experiences in my AMCAS activities section also appeared in my personal statement. However, I discussed different aspects of that experience. I believe that "most meaningful" experiences are multifaceted.

In my activities section, I discussed one of my "most meaningful" experiences and its contribution to my growth, maturity and perspective on life. In my personal statement, I discussed this same experience and how it strengthened my commitment to underserved communities.

It can be done, but you should make sure to prevent redundancy in your essays.

Last edited:
Anybody know any MD Schools with a preference for heavy research students?

The ones that come to mind are Stanford, Northwestern, Pitt, Duke, Vanderbilt, Harvard, Yale, etc. Essentially the top 20-25 on USNWR.

If I were you, I would buy MSAR and read each schools mission statement. This will give some insight into what type of applicant a school is looking for. Although research is great to get involved in, it is still only one component of your app.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1st Mcat C/P:125 Verbal:121 Bio:124 Psych:124 (494)

2nd Mcat C/P: 123 Verbal:125 Bio:123 Psych:127 (498)

I have 3.9 GPA, 3.85 science. African American female. Any chance for D.O. Schools and HBCU's? All my EC's are in order as well.

I would make a post in What are my chances (WAMC), so that some of the experts can answer this. You have a nearly perfect GPA, but any adcom is going to question the level of rigor of your department/institution since your MCAT is somewhat low. I would think that you'd be a decent DO candidate & could be good for Meharry if your ECs check out. I would look at the MSAR for Howard and Morehouse, however. I know that Howard has MCAT cutoffs on their website, so I'd check that out as well.

@Afropolitan besides booking your flights right when you got interviews, how did you handle transporting your suits since you stayed with student hosts most times.

I'm planning on brining a carry on suitcase as well as a backpack. But since this is my two carryons, then I wouldn't be able to also bring my suit jacket onboard. I'm just worried that after folding up my suit I won't be able to get it looking nice if I'm just staying at a random med students place haha. Any tips? :)

@Afropolitan besides booking your flights right when you got interviews, how did you handle transporting your suits since you stayed with student hosts most times.

I'm planning on brining a carry on suitcase as well as a backpack. But since this is my two carryons, then I wouldn't be able to also bring my suit jacket onboard. I'm just worried that after folding up my suit I won't be able to get it looking nice if I'm just staying at a random med students place haha. Any tips? :)

Double check with airlines. They may not count a suit-carrier against you as a carry-on. I've flown on airlines with two carry-ons and my poster, and it's been fine - especially since a flight attendant can likely hang it up for you before you head back to your seat.

Southwest doesn't charge to check in bags (i.e. luggage) and so I had my backpack and my suit-carrier with me as my two carry-on items and it was no problem. If you fly with another airline, they may charge to check in luggage, but may let you slide with the suit-carrier and not count it as a carry-on. However, you have to be prepared in the event they don't overlook the suit-carrier. Unexpected stuff always seem to come up when you are trying to do something important so be prepared for worst-case scenarios :yeahright:

Also to add, my student hosts were all cool and so they were okay with me coming back to their apartment when I was done with interview day to pick up my stuff. I didn't have to bring all of my luggage with me the morning of interviews. It's always good to build rapport with your student hosts if you stay with them. Most of them are very cool. I stayed with mostly URM's or friends that I knew at various medical schools.

Also the job I think is good to put down. Not sure about the clinical experience, if you still have activities to add and it was more than like 20 hours I say go for it.

Thank you!! That really helped

is anyone here taking the MCAT in July?... i may be pushing my test date back #ihateCARS lol.

Like I have ADHD, but it must be realllllly bad, bc im just doing so poor on that one section.
psychology is pretty easy. my bio and c/p scores are fair, but why cant I break a 126 on cars :(

I'm taking on July 21st. I'm so happy we have a long weekend coming up( I need to catch up on content review).

I feel you; it seems like everyone has one section were they struggle.

is anyone here taking the MCAT in July?... i may be pushing my test date back #ihateCARS lol.

Like I have ADHD, but it must be realllllly bad, bc im just doing so poor on that one section.
psychology is pretty easy. my bio and c/p scores are fair, but why cant I break a 126 on cars :(

Hey everyone,

URM applying this cycle. Low LizzyM, but good EC's (at least in my opinion)
Looking forward to the cycle, best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Applying this cycle!

For the work/activities section, for current activities that you guys are doing, are the total hours you're listing the total hours you have completed up until the date you submitted your application? I'm currently working at a doctor's office and I said I would end that May 2018. But I just started this job in April and have worked ~260 hours thus far. Should I list 260 or calculate the hours I will have until May 2018?

Applying this cycle!

For the work/activities section, for current activities that you guys are doing, are the total hours you're listing the total hours you have completed up until the date you submitted your application? I'm currently working at a doctor's office and I said I would end that May 2018. But I just started this job in April and have worked ~260 hours thus far. Should I list 260 or calculate the hours I will have until May 2018?

I think it is okay to list the hours until May 2018, but that you have to indicate that is what you have done. I'm sure this was asked in the Work/Activities Question Thread in pre-allo. I would double check there just to be sure. :)

Yeah I wanted to comb through that thread to see but it was so long, lol. Thanks though.

Yeah I wanted to comb through that thread to see but it was so long, lol. Thanks though.

What I did for current positions that I will have future hours in is that I entered in how many hours I worked with the end date as May 2017. Then I used the repeated tab and entered how many hours I believe I will work from May 2017 - May 2018. I think its better to separate past hours from future hours. Allows for a lot less confusion.

Reactions: 2 users
As LORs start rolling in, how do you guys/gals thank your professors?
I was thinking of getting nice cards but I don't know if this is over the top.

I just sent thank you emails once they submitted and told them I would keep them updated through the process if they wanted.
I'll be sending thank you cards and a small gift once the cycle is over to thank them for everything.

I don't think a nice card is over the top to thank them right now though.

Sounds like a great idea-thanks!

I just sent thank you emails once they submitted and told them I would keep them updated through the process if they wanted.
I'll be sending thank you cards and a small gift once the cycle is over to thank them for everything.

I don't think a nice card is over the top to thank them right now though.

What I did for current positions that I will have future hours in is that I entered in how many hours I worked with the end date as May 2017. Then I used the repeated tab and entered how many hours I believe I will work from May 2017 - May 2018. I think its better to separate past hours from future hours. Allows for a lot less confusion.
Thank you, I like this approach!

I'm taking on July 21st. I'm so happy we have a long weekend coming up( I need to catch up on content review).

I feel you; it seems like everyone has one section were they struggle.

HEYYY!! We should be friends :) Since we are in the July MCAT boat. Im going to message you!

Looking at Howard MSAR, and morehouse gives me hope.
I just had the most heartfelt conversation with the MD i have been working for, and my academic advisor. Both just chewed me out for pushing back my MCAT a third time lol (low confidence, but good test taker). But seeing how the median MCATA for some schools are ~ 5 points lower than my practice (507), makes me feel better about applying this cycle, but im still failing cars lol.
Getting into my state school (maryland), pit or yale is my dream! So I pushed back my date two weeks with hopes I can get the instate tuition lol.

I'm 80% finished with my PS and 85% with the application. Even though i Dont get my scores until aug 22, my committee letter wasn't going to be sent out until aug 14/15.

Anyone using MCATjelly and EK for practice? Do the exams seems easy or hard to you?

Happy studying/ application!

Hello everyone. I will be taking my MCAT July 21st. Any suggestions on studying?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Looking at Howard MSAR, and morehouse gives me hope.
I just had the most heartfelt conversation with the MD i have been working for, and my academic advisor. Both just chewed me out for pushing back my MCAT a third time lol (low confidence, but good test taker). But seeing how the median MCATA for some schools are ~ 5 points lower than my practice (507), makes me feel better about applying this cycle, but im still failing cars lol.
Getting into my state school (maryland), pit or yale is my dream! So I pushed back my date two weeks with hopes I can get the instate tuition lol.

I'm 80% finished with my PS and 85% with the application. Even though i Dont get my scores until aug 22, my committee letter wasn't going to be sent out until aug 14/15.

Im from Maryland too! Im in the exact same boat as you in terms of my application

I JUST WANT TO TEST ALREADY

Have you looked at study schedules yet? I'm using MCATjelly and it seems to be working pretty good.
I'm kind of a novice but my advice would be this: try to do something mcat related at least 6 days a week (always allow one day to do nothing). MCAT related stuff could be active reading, testing, reviewing old test, etc.

Good Luck!

Hello everyone. I will be taking my MCAT July 21st. Any suggestions on studying?

Congrats to everyone and good luck to others! 4th year Orthopedic surgery resident here! Contact here or PM with questions!

Dr. Webb

Reactions: 5 users
Maryland wasssupp!!!:highfive: Such an interesting state lol (only one public school). Ill message you :)

Ohhhh hey guys!! I'm applying this cycle as well from Maryland!! We need a meetup for sure :)

Background: Hispanic from South America (Bolivia). Lived most of my life in Spain/US. Got accepted to the Fee Assistance Program. Non-traditional (took 3 gap years prior to starting undergraduate, aka I’m 24); URM; just graduated (yay) from Boston University Cum Laude with 6/8 semesters on Dean’s List, on a gap year, applying to MD schools this cycle
GPA: 3.54
Major: Neuroscience, minor in French
MCAT: 501 (blah), thinking of retaking it in July (too late? would that hurt my chances?)
EC: -paid job at my university’s orientation office (part academic year + summer)
-Neuroscience elective course Undergraduate Assistant (a semester)
-Was a volunteer, then staff leader and now hold a paid job as program manager of a big community service program at my university (freshman-senior year)
-member and then VP of acapella group (2 years)
-member and fundraising chair of health-related club (1 year)
-member of neuroscience honor society
-member and then treasurer of club that represents my college at my university (2 years)
-studied abroad in France (semester)
Clinical: since 2012 I have had ~400 hours shadowing doctors, nurses, speech pathologists in Florida and Bolivia
Volunteer in Florida in ER, Pediatrics department (2012, pre-undergrad) and transporting lab results (2015) in Boston + my school’s community service program
Research worked 5 months at a biomedical engineering lab
Other speak English, Spanish, French, Portuguese (basic); have a strong, comprehensive letter from my university + I believe strong LORs

I know I am not the most competitive of applicants but I hope to think I have a shot, so I want to play my cards right :)
Med schools I'm currently thinking of...
BU, Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Georgetown, Albany, Howard University, Hofstra, Loyola, New York Medical College, Rush, Rutgers, Tufts, Brown/Columbia (super duper duper reaches), UC Davis
PS. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT but I don’t want to again hurt my chances by taking it late in the summer, thoughts? should I retake it?

Background: Hispanic from South America (Bolivia). Lived most of my life in Spain/US. Got accepted to the Fee Assistance Program. Non-traditional (took 3 gap years prior to starting undergraduate, aka I’m 24); URM; just graduated (yay) from Boston University Cum Laude with 6/8 semesters on Dean’s List, on a gap year, applying to MD schools this cycle
GPA: 3.54
Major: Neuroscience, minor in French
MCAT: 501 (blah), thinking of retaking it in July (too late? would that hurt my chances?)
EC: -paid job at my university’s orientation office (part academic year + summer)
-Neuroscience elective course Undergraduate Assistant (a semester)
-Was a volunteer, then staff leader and now hold a paid job as program manager of a big community service program at my university (freshman-senior year)
-member and then VP of acapella group (2 years)
-member and fundraising chair of health-related club (1 year)
-member of neuroscience honor society
-member and then treasurer of club that represents my college at my university (2 years)
-studied abroad in France (semester)
Clinical: since 2012 I have had ~400 hours shadowing doctors, nurses, speech pathologists in Florida and Bolivia
Volunteer in Florida in ER, Pediatrics department (2012, pre-undergrad) and transporting lab results (2015) in Boston + my school’s community service program
Research worked 5 months at a biomedical engineering lab
Other speak English, Spanish, French, Portuguese (basic); have a strong, comprehensive letter from my university + I believe strong LORs

I know I am not the most competitive of applicants but I hope to think I have a shot, so I want to play my cards right :)
Med schools I'm currently thinking of...
BU, Rosalind Franklin, George Washington, Georgetown, Albany, Howard University, Hofstra, Loyola, New York Medical College, Rush, Rutgers, Tufts, Brown/Columbia (super duper duper reaches), UC Davis
PS. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT but I don’t want to again hurt my chances by taking it late in the summer, thoughts? should I retake it?

Have you been preparing to take the MCAT in July?