**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCLA, in general, states that they don't have a preference for in/out of state for applicants for admission. I'm not 100% sure how/if that extends to Drew and can't be that helpful since I didn't apply there, but maybe it'd be worth a call to the admissions office if that information isn't readily available on their website?

FAQs - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA
Is Drew their own school or is it simply a program under UCLA-Geffens?

I've heard it's an HBCU, but it sounds so obscure to everyone/is listed as UCLA/Drew on AMCAS that it makes me wonder.

Members don't see this ad.

Also I've cried 3 times today. :rofl:

When I'm nervous, my scores are a crapshoot. I don't just get nervous, I derail. I just have to breatheeeee

Is Drew their own school or is it simply a program under UCLA-Geffens?

I've heard it's an HBCU, but it sounds so obscure to everyone/is listed as UCLA/Drew on AMCAS that it makes me wonder.

I think Drew is technically a separate institution from David Geffen SOM, but you are considered a UCLA student and take your preclinical courses at UCLA with the entire class (undifferentiated, PRIME, MD/PhD, etc). I believe the split in programs occurs for the clinical years.

I can give y'all more info once I get there in July, or maybe @Radiata20 can shed some light?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think Drew is technically a separate institution from David Geffen SOM, but you are considered a UCLA student and take your preclinical courses at UCLA with the entire class (undifferentiated, PRIME, MD/PhD, etc). I believe the split in programs occurs for the clinical years.

I can give y'all more info once I get there in July, or maybe @Radiata20 can shed some light?

Is that the school you're attending? UCLA is my number one, but when I found out about Drew, it shared that spot with UCLA equally.

Hi guys, I am also applying this cycle. Nontraditional, Mexican-American. I have a question: which schools do you think a URM should apply to? I am torn between a couple of schools that prefer in-state. However, I've noticed a few private schools tend to accept nationally. Any input?

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any PS readers here? The official reviewer's list is tapped out. I've already been through two rounds of critiques, and I think my PS is pretty good - so good, in fact, that I can't seem to cut 286 characters that are putting me over the limit! Anyone want to volunteer to brutally redact my work?

Are there any PS readers here? The official reviewer's list is tapped out. I've already been through two rounds of critiques, and I think my PS is pretty good - so good, in fact, that I can't seem to cut 286 characters that are putting me over the limit! Anyone want to volunteer to brutally redact my work?

Yup. PM me for my email address.

Is that the school you're attending? UCLA is my number one, but when I found out about Drew, it shared that spot with UCLA equally.
Yep! Unfortunately I don't have any personal insight into Drew specifically, only what we were told on interview day. Please apply to both if you're so inclined! :)

I'm sorry, I don't have enough inside information about that school

As an out of state applicant?

Curious about this school too...

Hey I applied and interviewed at UCLA/Drew this past cycle and am currently on their waitlist. I have chosen another school and will be withdrawing from their waitlist pretty soon.

UCLA/DREW is a joint MD program between UCLA David Geffen school of Medicine and Charles Drew University and their mission is to educate Physicians who will go on to serve underserved communities in the LA area. During my interview day we were told in a presentation on their history that the program was created in response to the Watt's Rebellion in 1965 in which minorities were deliberately being re-routed to hospitals without adequate lifesaving interventions (not the main reason for the rebellion, but the County asked UCLA medical center for a way to help fix it with the McCone comission for upgraded health services).

Essentially only 24 students get accepted and become part of the UCLA David Geffen matriculating class and take courses with the regular students. The main difference is that Drew students have some of their rotations in underserved areas such as MLK Jr Hospital, Venice Beach homeless shelter, etc. Drew students have access to ALL the same facilities and funding for research as regular UCLA students and will get an MD degree from both universities. The Drew program is highly looked upon and despite what others have said about other HBCU's in this thread, it is a respected program. Their matriculating data is mixed in with UCLA's data on MSAR so you cannot see their stand alone stats.

I was an OOS applicant by the way and still hurt a little inside that I have not gotten chosen off the waitlist, but they only take 24 students after interviewing only a couple hundred of the best applicants from all across the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys, I am also applying this cycle. Nontraditional, Mexican-American. I have a question: which schools do you think a URM should apply to? I am torn between a couple of schools that prefer in-state. However, I've noticed a few private schools tend to accept nationally. Any input?

Here's my $0.02

Your school list needs to be made of the following TYPES of schools
1. Every instate school
2. Out of state schools that have a high acceptance % of OOS applicants (can be found on MSAR ex.GWU)
Of these two desinations:
  • 90% of the schools you apply to your GPA/MCAT should be with 10% or overlapping with their lowest accepted stats (see MSAR)
  • 10% can be reach schools that you really want to attend and may not be that close to their lowest GPA/MCAT range
I'll give you my school list as an example (I did not realize until after that a lot of my OOS schools were reaches):

Instate (Georgia)
Morehouse School of Medicine - Accepted Within stats
Medical College of Georgia - Accepted Within Stats
Mercer University - Waitlisted after interview Slight reach

Out of state

Meharry School of Medicine - Accepted Within Stats
University of Colorado Denver - Accepted Within stats
Albany Medical College - Rejected after Secondary REACH
Drexel University - Rejected after secondary SUPER REACH
Florida International University - Rejected after secondary REACH
Georgetown University - Rejected after secondary SUPER REACH
Howard University - Never heard back after secondary Within stats
Michigan State University - Rejected after secondary Within stats
Rosalind Franklin - Rejected after secondary Within stats
Temple University - Rejected after secondary Within stats
University of Arizona - Rejected after secondary Within stats yet is a Reach as they favor IS
University of Arizona - Rejected after secondary Within stats yet is a Reach as they favor IS
University of California - Never finished secondary REACH (IS bias)
George Washington University - Waitlisted after interview Within stats (heavy bias for OOS)
Charles Drew/UCLA - Waitlisted after interview Within stats

I knew beforehand that Arizona was gonna be tough for me as an OOS applicant, but I was born there and had a lot of ties to the state. Unfortunately no luck. I feel that my application benefitted from a lot of the service activities when I applied to the schools that focused on that, Morehouse, Meharry, DREW) and others that were impressed by it even though they weren't considered "service schools" (Colardo, GWU). I think that you as a minority if you have a service based application needs to include that when you do research into what schools you apply to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Here's my $0.02

Your school list needs to be made of the following TYPES of schools
1. Every instate school
2. Out of state schools that have a high acceptance % of OOS applicants (can be found on MSAR ex.GWU)
Of these two desinations:
  • 90% of the schools you apply to your GPA/MCAT should be with 10% or overlapping with their lowest accepted stats (see MSAR)
  • 10% can be reach schools that you really want to attend and may not be that close to their lowest GPA/MCAT range
I'll give you my school list as an example (I did not realize until after that a lot of my OOS schools were reaches):

Instate (Georgia)
Morehouse School of Medicine - Accepted Within stats
Medical College of Georgia - Accepted Within Stats
Mercer University - Waitlisted after interview Slight reach

Out of state

Meharry School of Medicine - Accepted Within Stats
University of Colorado Denver - Accepted Within stats
Albany Medical College - Rejected after Secondary REACH
Drexel University - Rejected after secondary SUPER REACH
Florida International University - Rejected after secondary REACH
Georgetown University - Rejected after secondary SUPER REACH
Howard University - Never heard back after secondary Within stats
Michigan State University - Rejected after secondary Within stats
Rosalind Franklin - Rejected after secondary Within stats
Temple University - Rejected after secondary Within stats
University of California - Never finished secondary REACH (IS bias)
George Washington University - Waitlisted after interview Within stats (heavy bias for OOS)
Charles Drew/UCLA - Waitlisted after interview Within stats

I knew beforehand that Arizona was gonna be tough for me as an OOS applicant, but I was born there and had a lot of ties to the state. Unfortunately no luck. I feel that my application benefitted from a lot of the service activities when I applied to the schools that focused on that, Morehouse, Meharry, DREW) and others that were impressed by it even though they were considered "service schools" (Colardo, GWU). I think that you as a minority if you have a service based application needs to include that when you do research into what schools you apply to.

Thanks! I really appreciate such a thorough list of schools. I will definitely take this into consideration as I do not want to end up applying to so many schools and spend all of that money when I could avoid applying to schools that might not favor me all that much.

All the best to everyone applying this cycle. The 2016-2017 thread helped me stay sane during this often stressful, unpredictable and draining process. Feel free to ask me any questions if they arise.

Can't wait to get to know you all & hear your stories! :)

Background: AA woman; unique life story; non-traditional applicant - currently working at a Big 4 Consulting Firm
GPA: 3.63 cGPA/~3.6 sGPA
Major: Biomedical engineering
MCAT: 502 - retested after 21, 23 on old exam
EC:
-TA for mathematics classes for three years (~5 hours/week)
-Peer advisor at my university for three years (~5 hours/week)
-Volunteering at battered womens/children shelter (~3 months/30 hours)
-Honor Society leadership (100 hours)
-Hospital volunteering for two years (pediatric unit and oncology unit) [400+ hours]
-Leadership within hospital volunteer program [200+ hours]
-Shadowing (~50 hours, three specialties)
-Summer research internship through the NIH (400+ hours, presented research at NIH & ABRCMS, one publication)
-Senior year thesis
-Senior year research-based capstone project (400+ hours)
-Free clinic exam room coordinator (~30 hours) [doing with full time job]
-Programs Co-Lead & Local Engagement Lead for my company's office (lots of fundraising drives/events ~ 40 hours)
-Awards for academics, research, & job-related successes
-Peer counselor certified
-Football fanatic; a part of the Oakland Raiders Metro Club in my city
-Canvas painting, violin, and fitness
-Professional foodie

Biomed Major here! also currently working at Big 4 Consulting Firm!!!
Just about to start on my PS.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Biomed Major here! also currently working at Big 4 Consulting Firm!!!
Just about to start on my PS.

Yessss! Lol, we may work for the same firm. Good luck to you this cycle :) I know work is super busy!

How do medical schools view being "fired" from a job :help: lol

Another question. If I was a student at large at some point, and i took graduate level classes and undergraduate classes, do those classes factor into my post bacc? What does a student at large classify as? When I look at my transcript for that university, they averaged the classes I took together

Last edited:
Quick question for previous applicants: is $1700 enough money for med school app travel if you're driving to interviews ( applying in one general region)? I currently have no job but I have a nest egg and I'm wondering if I'm safe.

Do most schools have student host programs? How do you find reasonable airfare, if needed?

Quick question for previous applicants: is $1700 enough money for med school app travel if you're driving to interviews ( applying in one general region)? I currently have no job but I have a nest egg and I'm wondering if I'm safe.

Do most schools have student host programs? How do you find reasonable airfare, if needed?

Some medical schools do have host programs, it would be best to contact them individually about them. I think $1700 could be enough if you are driving to every interview, but you also have to factor in hotels if hosting isn't available, and food. It also depends on how many interviews you actually get. Applying in one region could be risky.

Hey! I rarely post here or anywhere but I thought I'd check in & say hello to everyone. I'm a Black female applying this year.

EDIT: there's also already a really long post I made a few days ago with all my stat info if anyone's interested, but I won't bore you with it here :)

How do medical schools view being "fired" from a job :help: lol

Most schools have student host programs and are very receptive to hosting minority students. Last cycle I stayed with a host for every interview except two (both were last minute interviews). I usually used Southwest for booking flights. If booked in advance, flights can be very cheap (like ~$80-$100) for roundtrip.

I think $1,700 should be more than enough for travel expenses, but this will depend on the number of interviews you receive and also on whether or not you stay with a student host. I probably spent around $2,000 in travel expenses (I used uber a lot too).

As far as the first question, most medical schools will not know whether or not you have been fired from your job unless you list your job as an activity in AMCAS (you will have to provide contact information for that specific activity). They can find out that way or if you bring it up during an interview or essay. Otherwise, the only way a medical school can find out about an offense would be an institutional action, which may show up on your transcript, but you have to report or some sort of criminal offense. There have been cases where traffic tickets have shown up on individuals background checks, but this depends on the state you are from.

How medical schools view getting fired from a job? Probably negatively, but it will depend on the circumstances. Not all job firings are due to the actions of the individual in question.

Last edited:
Most schools have student host programs and are very receptive to hosting minority students. Last cycle I stayed with a host for every interview except two (both were last minute interviews). I usually used Southwest for booking flights. If booked in advance, flights can be very cheap (like ~$80-$100) for roundtrip.

I think $1,700 should be more than enough for travel expenses, but this will depend on the number of interviews you receive and also whether or not you stay with a student host. I probably spent around $2,000 in travel expenses (I used uber a lot too).

As far as you first question, most medical schools will not know whether or not you have been fired from your job unless you list your job as an activity in AMCAS (you will have to provide contact information for that specific activity). They can find out that way or if you bring it up during an interview. Otherwise, the only way a medical school can find out about an offense would be an institutional action, which shows up on your transcript or some sort of criminal offense. There have been cases where traffic tickets have shown up on individuals background checks, but this depends on the state you are from.

How medical schools view getting fired from a job? Probably negatively, but it will depend on the circumstances. Not all job firings are due to the actions of the individual in question.
Ok bc I was terminated because my manager kept scheduling me when I was unavailable and taking classes. I would miss work obviously. That's how I was terminated

Also all I can say about that exam lol...****

Also all I can say about that exam lol...****
Ok bc I was terminated because my manager kept scheduling me when I was unavailable and taking classes. I would miss work obviously. That's how I was terminated

Did you communicate these scheduling conflicts to your manager? I think an admissions officer will probably wonder why you took on the job in the first place if you weren't able to commit to showing up when scheduled, why you did not potentially communicate your availability to your manager, etc.

Did you communicate these scheduling conflicts to your manager? I think an admissions officer will probably wonder why you took on the job in the first place if you weren't able to commit to showing up when scheduled, why you did not potentially communicate your availability to your manager, etc.
I did. That's the thing. Walmart just does not care and I'll never work there again

I did. That's the thing. Walmart just does not care and I'll never work there again

lol that's real. You putting your Walmart experience on your app? If you are, just make sure you are able to explain to an Admissions Committee member why you were fired if asked.

lol that's real. You putting your Walmart experience on your app? If you are, just make sure you are able to explain to an Admissions Committee member why you were fired if asked.
I will. I also don't want to leave if it off because it did happen

Are any of y'all addressing the "disadvantaged" prompt? How are you approaching it? I've heard it should be a narrative with a positive outlook/lessons learned but I'm not precisely sure what's expected

Are any of y'all addressing the "disadvantaged" prompt? How are you approaching it? I've heard it should be a narrative with a positive outlook/lessons learned but I'm not precisely sure what's expected
I explained it more as facts. This is what happened etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Some medical schools do have host programs, it would be best to contact them individually about them. I think $1700 could be enough if you are driving to every interview, but you also have to factor in hotels if hosting isn't available, and food. It also depends on how many interviews you actually get. Applying in one region could be risky.

really depends on where you're applying and how may schools. will you be flying, will you be driving. Most of the time you will have hosting, so you can but down on expected costs for hotels. If you are driving to every interview, I hope they are close by. If the interview is >5 hrs away I would recommend flying. Determine costs on gas vs. air fare. but 1700 is enough! 20 schools in amcas is about $800. And that leaves you with just enough money to submit about 9 secondaries at $100 each. Maybe get a part-time job, between now and June 30th (when applications will be received at the medical school).

This is my first post so please be kind to my soul.
Here we go!

African-American Female, 21 years old.
cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 2.9 (Both with upward trends...first two years of college was a struggle.)
Undergrad in Psychology B.S with public health minor
MCAT: 499
Extracurricular include:
- Health care assistant at at Trauma 1 County Hospital for 2 years
- Nursing Home CNA for 2 years
- ED Scribe for 6 months
- Physiology TA for 1 year
- Founder and president of a Mental health student group for 2 years
- Research in a clinical lab for 1 year
- Qualitative research for another 1 year
- Coding behavior research for a summer
- Volunteering/Tutor at a Prison
- Shadowing monthly for 1.5 years with the same doc.
- Shadowing various physicians.
- Peer counselor
- Board member of student groups
- Study Aboard and studied the social determinants of health for 3 weeks in a third world country.
**there are more activities but here are the highlights.

Is anyone using the TPR complete book for the MCAT? I seem to be able to cover a chapter a day but I know this is slow.

For anyone using TPR, how exactly are you utilizing the book?

Edit:Has anyone tried just looking at the AAMC topic list and reviewing stuff by topic

Last edited:
I will. I also don't want to leave if it off because it did happen
Why do you even have to say you were fired? You could just put down the experience and the dates. For contact, is there a coworker or superviser that you liked or were cool with? I highly doubt that they are calling up people's primary contacts (not to say they don't but I just think it's unlikely).

When you're doing practice problems, is it normal to miss like 30% of the problems (damn physics)? I was never great at physics but I'm feeling SO stupid, haha.

When you're doing practice problems, is it normal to miss like 30% of the problems (damn physics)? I was never great at physics but I'm feeling SO stupid, haha.

Yes, what shouldn't happen is you should not be missing the same concept repeatedly. This is why it's important to practice A TON, so that you find all of your weaknesses.

Yes, what shouldn't happen is you should not be missing the same concept repeatedly. This is why it's important to practice A TON, so that you find all of your weaknesses.

Thanks! Anyone just about finished their PS?

Everyone getting transcripts in? I sent transcripts a week ago and they're still not delivered (my school still uses paper transcripts). If you send something to a P.O. Box and it's certified mail, do they still have to sign for the letter?

Thanks! Anyone just about finished their PS?

Everyone getting transcripts in? I sent transcripts a week ago and they're still not delivered (my school still uses paper transcripts). If you send something to a P.O. Box and it's certified mail, do they still have to sign for the letter?
Yea! I think I'm close to my last draft (hopefully).

Hm I'm not really sure about paper, my school primarily does e-transcripts. Maybe call them to make sure?

I just took my last final exam today. I will send my transcripts electronically on Tuesday. My community college I had to do through the mail. the school is literally 20 minutes from Washington DC and it still took 9 days. So hurry up with those transcripts!!

Personal statement 80% done. Its not personal enough. So I'm going to add in about 1200 more characters and should be finished by Monday. The work activities section, is currently BLANK lol. I will start today (20th), and try to finish by the 26th.

Why do you even have to say you were fired? You could just put down the experience and the dates. For contact, is there a coworker or superviser that you liked or were cool with? I highly doubt that they are calling up people's primary contacts (not to say they don't but I just think it's unlikely).
They ask why you left. And so if I said lied and said something else & they called the contact, then there would be issues

This is my first post so please be kind to my soul.
Here we go!

African-American Female, 21 years old.
cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 2.9 (Both with upward trends...first two years of college was a struggle.)
Undergrad in Psychology B.S with public health minor
MCAT: 499
Extracurricular include:
- Health care assistant at at Trauma 1 County Hospital for 2 years
- Nursing Home CNA for 2 years
- ED Scribe for 6 months
- Physiology TA for 1 year
- Founder and president of a Mental health student group for 2 years
- Research in a clinical lab for 1 year
- Qualitative research for another 1 year
- Coding behavior research for a summer
- Volunteering/Tutor at a Prison
- Shadowing monthly for 1.5 years with the same doc.
- Shadowing various physicians.
- Peer counselor
- Board member of student groups
- Study Aboard and studied the social determinants of health for 3 weeks in a third world country.
**there are more activities but here are the highlights.
Thinking in psychiatry? We have almost the same stat make up!

Hello All!

Background: AA Female; Non-Traditional 1st Time Applicant:
GPA: 3.6 cGPA / 3.8 sGPA
Major: Health Science/Psychology (Undergrad) Community Health/MPH (Grad)
MCAT: June 17 Test Date
EC:
Undergraduate Activities

-Resident Assistant (~ 2 1/2 years)
-Leadership & Membership in Multi-Cultural Organization (~ 4 years)
-Membership in Student Government (~3 years)
-Member of service-based sorority (~6 years)
-Volunteer @ Rehabilitative Health Center (~4 months)
-Student Volunteer @ Hospital (~ 4 months)
-Spearheaded campus-wide health education program (~5 months)
-Adapted aquatics with lupus clients (~4 months)
-Honor Society Membership
-Awards/Scholarships for Academics & Campus Involvement

Graduate Activities
-Community needs assessment w/ non-profit in underserved Brooklyn area's (focus groups, surveys, etc)
-Honor Society Membership

-Shadowing PCP (~50 hours)
-Previous Director of NPO focused on underprivileged populations and whole health
-Currently Intensive Family Interventionist

**I have a host of specific volunteer and community service activities that I have performed but I will spare the details**

-So nice to interact with everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
They ask why you left. And so if I said lied and said something else & they called the contact, then there would be issues
Who asks why you left?
And if your saying the admissions officers are going to ask (which I doubt) this is what I would say for example;
Them: Why did you leave your job at Walmart?
You: I needed more time to focus on school OR I kept having scheduling issues because I needed more time off from school

See you answered the question without divulging more then was necessary so even if they called your contact you still didn't lie about anything. I think you working is a good experience to add and I can understand you not wanting them to look at you negatively for being fired.

I have a question about the work/activities section. I have two research experiences - one with a poster, a co-authorship, presentations, and awards & the other with a thesis, presentation, competition, and award. Should I list each experience separately, and have broad entries for presentations, awards, the poster, and the publication? Or can I do some combining, such as pairing the poster with the presentations?

I have lots of other activities (non-trad) and listing all of those things separately takes up 6 of the entries.

I have a question about the work/activities section. I have two research experiences - one with a poster, a co-authorship, presentations, and awards & the other with a thesis, presentation, competition, and award. Should I list each experience separately, and have broad entries for presentations, awards, the poster, and the publication? Or can I do some combining, such as pairing the poster with the presentations?

I have lots of other activities (non-trad) and listing all of those things separately takes up 6 of the entries.

I had a similar situation; I went with the former so that it was one cohesive experience with the outputs addressed in the description. I ended up needing all 15 for my experiences and if you're in the same situation I wouldn't spread them out separately. In addition, I think it can look redundant if you do the latter.

Yep! Unfortunately I don't have any personal insight into Drew specifically, only what we were told on interview day. Please apply to both if you're so inclined! :)

You're my SHERO. I'm looking at your mdapps and I'm blown away. I think we'll end up having near identical stats. I'm hoping for half the love you received! You're also matriculating to my #1. I hope to see you there next year!

Quick question: I've done some review in the past but my mcat is in 9 weeks- how do I do a meaningful content review and practice in this time?

I'm really nervous yet excited!

Quick question: I've done some review in the past but my mcat is in 9 weeks- how do I do a meaningful content review and practice in this time?

I'm really nervous yet excited!
QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS (discreet and passage based).

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS (discreet and passage based).

Would you recommend following a schedule supplemented with extra problems?
Mcatforme seems to have a pretty good two month schedule (for those with a science background).

Would you recommend following a schedule supplemented with extra problems?
Mcatforme seems to have a pretty good two month schedule (for those with a science background).
Hmm idk. I'm really bad at making schedules. I don't usually plan things to do, I just do them. The tests that I have found most useful for the sciences and psych are the FLs from altius. And for CARS, the AAMC is the only good source

I had a similar situation; I went with the former so that it was one cohesive experience with the outputs addressed in the description. I ended up needing all 15 for my experiences and if you're in the same situation I wouldn't spread them out separately. In addition, I think it can look redundant if you do the latter.

Thanks so much! This is literally the most tedious part of the application, smh.