**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shook. I just started a summer classes and was assigned a partner for a project Tuesday (its a 3.5 hour afternoon class that has six people, I am one of few POC). Today (Thursday) I sat next to him in my 3.5 hour morning class which he also happens to be in and he didn't recognize me until the end prolly cause of the hair change. Like bruh.

So ridiculous!!! It's as if they only look at your hair as your only physical feature and don't take the time to actually look at your face, smh. I had a similar situation occur to me - I had a work crush that I ate lunch with in December (had short, curly, natural-looking hair from crochet braids) and we've walked by each other like 10 times since I've changed my hair to senegalese twists. He stopped speaking to me. Today, he FINALLY realized that I was me. The feelings faded a while ago, boo. NEXT. Lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
But like ... they're going to mail your diploma anyways. Anyone can hold a fake rolled up piece of paper with a ribbon as they walk across a stage wearing a black gown. Like that was an empty threat, lmao. I would have kept hollerin' too, lol.

That's what I was telling all my friends! The president basically had no leverage and was treating graduating seniors like 5 year olds.

If I'd organized this, I would have had everyone let DeVos finish her speech and then not applaud (but make sure there was ample applause after every other speaker). As someone who is accustomed to public speaking, I know this would have been more effective.

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN1494557667.246369.jpg

That's fine, her whole career has been trash anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone up to read a rough yet completed PS?

Willing to trade!

Hey! I saw this thread last year and thought it would be amazing if I could say that was one of the applicants in the cycle, but I'm kinda pumped that its my turn to apply and this thread just looks amazing! I have no idea if I should post my stats and see where I should apply (as I am Canadian and my Mcat is tomorrow) so I'm just trying to get my mind off everything and see if I could be on this med school grind with y'all!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi baby loves! Just wanted to drop by and wish you all the absolute best of luck these next coming months. Don't be afraid to feel every emotion fully (the happiness, anxiety, impatience, dissapointment, retribution, relief, etc) & know that tomorrow will always be a new day.

I sincerely hope you find the school of your dreams & meet some of your fellow applicants along the way. Keep an open mind, heart and checkbook. There is light at the end of the tunnel. My fellow 2021ers and I are cheering you on. See you at the finish line! :love:

Reactions: 5 users
Okay wow I just took the MCAT, that was an........interesting test

Reactions: 2 users
Hi baby loves! Just wanted to drop by and wish you all the absolute best of luck these next coming months. Don't be afraid to feel every emotion fully (the happiness, anxiety, impatience, dissapointment, retribution, relief, etc) & know that tomorrow will always be a new day.

I sincerely hope you find the school of your dreams & meet some of your fellow applicants along the way. Keep an open mind, heart and checkbook. There is light at the end of the tunnel. My fellow 2021ers and I are cheering you on. See you at the finish line! :love:
Thanks SO much. That means a lot :')

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.56
Science: 3.0
Majors: Biology and Psychology
Minor: Multicultural Studies
MCAT: 496-500 range

Extracurriculars:
SMDEP: May 2014-July 2014
Global Health Brigades (Public Health): Honduras Jan 2015 1 week. National Honor Society in Psychology
Pre Med Honor Society
Global Brigades: September 2014-May 2016
Gay Club lol: August 2014-May 2016

Shadowing Experience:

Dr. S, MD (8 Hours): July 2014
Dr. M, MD (5 Hours) July 2014
Dr. K, MD (4 hours per week): February 2015-May 2015
Dr. T, DO (Time Varies): September 2016-February 2017

Research Experience:

Research Assistant, Conditioning and Neuroscience,

Dr. T S September 2013-May 2016, 4-5 hours per week

I have one paper under review for publication

Work Experience:

Caller, Alumni Associate
Summer 2013, 9 hours per week

Kitchen Manager, Chipotle Mexican Grill
October 2016-Present, 40 hours per week

Deli Associate, Walmart
June 2015-August 2015

Volunteer Experience:

Emergency Children’s Shelter
January 2015-May 2016, 4-10 hours per week (600+ documented hours. 800+ undocumented)

Centro Latino de Salud
February 2016-May 2016, 4 hours per week (40+ total)
- Pick-up and Drop off driver for enrollees in Centro Latino
- Reading/Math/Literary tutor for family of immigrants
- Promoted healthy eating habits for children and their families

Mentorship Program
Emergency Children’s Shelter
April 2015-present
(Basically I'm a mentor/big brother like person for 8+ kids in foster care)

AIDS Foundation
May 2017-Present

Hospital
May 2017-Present
- Here my sister set me up with a DO and I attend lectures on manipulation and attend activities with medical school students/residents

School List:

1. Eastern Virginia Medical School
2. Meharry Medical College
3. Howard Medical College
4. Southern Illinois College of Medicine
5. UCLA Geffens
6. UIC
7. Morehouse
8. Rosalind Franklin
9. Rush University College of Medicine
10. Charles Drew College of Medicine
11. University of Kansas School of Medicine
12. Medical College of Wisconsin
13. Loyola
14. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
15. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
16. Michigan State University
17. Indiana University School of Medicine
18. University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix
19. University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tuscon
20. West Virginia University School of Medicine
21. Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
22. University of South Carolina School of Medicine
23. University of South Carolina Greenville
24. Florida State University College of Medicine
25. Marshall University Joan C Edwards School of Medicine
26. Northeast Ohio Medical University
27. Oakland University Beaumont School of Medicine
28. University of Arkansas Medical Sciences College of Medicine
29. University of Washington School of Medicine
30. Vermont

DO Medical School List

1. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Kirksville
3. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. Des Moines
5. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
6. Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
7. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
8. Western University of Health Sciences
9. Touro University California
10. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
11. Michigan State Osteopathic
12. Campbell University College of Osteopathic Medicine
13. Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
14. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
15. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York

*Side Note* I've studied spanish for 8 years

I wish I could apply to as many schools as you! Good Luck!

Hi, guys!
Background: 33-year-old non-trad AA female, undergrad at state school with a double-major in Spanish and Legal Theory & Practice, followed by a T14 law school, followed by a year-long DIY post-bac at a different state school (finished last week); Married for 11 years, 3 kids (ages 8, 6, and 5)
GPA: uGPA 3.62; sGPA 3.62 (Law school GPA 2.91 :bang:)
MCAT: Was scoring 509-510 on practice exams, but took the real thing today and now my butt hurts, so....
EC:
Practiced law for 10 years before quitting to become a doctor
1 year of research in genetics lab
Started a diversity-based sorority in undergrad
Scribed for the past year (~ 1800 hours)
Shadowed in primary care and ortho (~ 40 hours)
Serve on a non-profit community arts council
Non-clinical volunteering ~ 700 hours (Junior League, Big Brothers Big Sisters)
Interpreted (both paid and volunteer) for the Spanish-speaking community during undergrad (medical and non-medical settings)
Hobbies: I design children's glitz pageant clothes, am active in community theatre, and sing in a women's community choir.

I've got my PS drafted and critiqued, so now I need to sit down to edit it. Right now, though, I'm trying to reduce my activities to 700-word blurbs while I wait the 31 excruciating days until my MCAT score is released. I'm thinking I'll apply to the 2 Alabama state schools when AMCAS opens for submission, even though my MCAT won't be back until a few weeks later. If the score isn't good enough to get me in there, I doubt I'll get in anywhere else either.

Reactions: 6 users
So how do schools' letter requirements? If one has a max of 3 and another has 6?

Also my alma mater does letter packets. Does that count as "1"

So many questions

So how do schools' letter requirements? If one has a max of 3 and another has 6?

Also my alma mater does letter packets. Does that count as "1"

So many questions
Don't quote me on this but I think I remember @gonnif saying that if you are submitting individual letters, than you have to follow the school specific instructions (# of letters and non science req etc). However, if your undergrad has a committee packet, than you don't need all those individual requirements and even though it counts as 1 letter (since it only takes up 1 space when you submit) it is sufficient.

hey is anyone applying to HBCU's?
I will be applying to Howard only. More house is ok too but I don't want to live in atlanta. Meharry is trash in my opinion, visited there and know people who went there and as a consensus it's not a good school. But this is just from my experience and from friends.

I will be applying to Howard only. More house is ok too but I don't want to live in atlanta. Meharry is trash in my opinion, visited there and know people who went there and as a consensus it's not a good school. But this is just from my experience and from friends.
How about Drew/UCLA?

How exactly is meharry trash? I was thinking about applying there. Was thinking about Howard too but after visiting, I REALLY don't want to live in D.C

I cant live in TN, i just cant lol or Atlanta.

It'll just be Howard for me too. I live 35 min from Howard, don't need to go to far!

How exactly is meharry trash? I was thinking about applying there. Was thinking about Howard too but after visiting, I REALLY don't want to live in D.C

yeah Dc is pretty expensive and the areas Howard in isn't as nice as GTWN or GWU

I'm worried someone just stole my PS. they said they would check it over for grammar and...... lol

I'm worried someone just stole my PS. they said they would check it over for grammar and...... lol
...same..lol. I'm hoping they aren't able to copy it word for word as it's actually personal and not applicable to general ppl.

Yeah ... I know people at Meharry that rave about it. If you don't want to live in a certain city, fine. But don't consider a school trash if that is your basis, lol. Quite frankly, are there any US MD programs that are truly trash? Are there extremely new programs with lots of kinks? Sure. But trash ... eh.

I currently live in the DC area, and it's just expensive. I honestly couldn't imagine living here without a job for that reason alone. But the community itself is great, and there are lots of underserved communities that benefit from their university hospital (Gtown & GW, too).

Last edited:
Finished my 3rd FL - NS FL 3! :happy:

Yeah ... I know people at Meharry that rave about it. If you don't want to live in a certain city, fine. But don't consider a school trash if that is your basis, lol. Quite frankly, are there any US MD programs that are truly trash? Are there extremely new programs with lots of kinks? Sure. But trash ... eh.

I currently live in the DC area, and it's just expensive. I honestly couldn't imagine living here without a job for that reason alone. But the community itself is great, and there are lots of underserved communities that benefit from their university hospital (Gtown & GW, too).

*puts down ice cream*

"There are lots of underserved communities" ?? Where?!
D.C. Maryland and Virginia are well served except maybe parts of PG county and SE. Washington DC, which gtwn and GWU don't even serve....

Y'all I'm freaking out (headed towards my 359735972305203 meltdown this year). I'm worried I'm going to bomb the exam lol. Like people have gotten in with 497s/500s but I don't know why I'm so worried that's not a reality.

If I wasn't scoring in the underworld in the first subsection, I wouldn't be sweating.

*puts down ice cream*

"There are lots of underserved communities" ?? Where?!
D.C. Maryland and Virginia are well served except maybe parts of PG county and SE. Washington DC, which gtwn and GWU don't even serve....

Oh, I agree with you about the general DMV area. I was referring to southeast and PG areas as being underserved within the DMV. In terms of GW and GTown [and this is what I was told], they get quite a bit of service from the rural parts of northern Virginia and WV, which are also considered to be underserved. This was surprising to me since UVa seems to have expanded so much within the area with Novant Health, but friends at both schools seem to abide by the notion of having exposure to those underserved.

Last edited:
Oh, I agree with you about the general DMV area. I was referring to southeast and PG areas as being underserved within the DMV. In terms of GW and GTown [and this is what I was told], they get quite a bit of service from the rural parts of northern Virginia and WV, which are also considered to be underserved. This was surprising to me since UVa seems to have expanded so much within the area with Novant Health, but friends at both schools seem to abide by the notion of having exposure to those underserved.

oh OK.
Defineitly Uva is underserved, but northern virgina is the complete antithesis of underserved!!! lol sooo many doctors in Tyson's corner and Arlington! I can see parts of PG being underserved and SE, but with the "gentrification" going on, it wont be that way for long. They're rebuilding up SE and PG to look like the rest of DC and Montgomery county. Its unfortunate people from WV have to drive 1.5 hr just to get to DC to be seen by a physician, especially when have passed HUNDREDS of doctors, while on route to DC.

Y'all I'm freaking out (headed towards my 359735972305203 meltdown this year). I'm worried I'm going to bomb the exam lol. Like people have gotten in with 497s/500s but I don't know why I'm so worried that's not a reality.

If I wasn't scoring in the underworld in the first subsection, I wouldn't be sweating.

Im routing for you!!!
I have my test in a month and i'm still getting 30/53 on the cars sections. Im worried I will do well, but it will be unbalanced. 124Cars/130bio/128chem/129psyc.

stop worrying! be positive! and you can always sign up for the July date to secure a spot just incase

Im routing for you!!!
I have my test in a month and i'm still getting 30/53 on the cars sections. Im worried I will do well, but it will be unbalanced. 124Cars/130bio/128chem/129psyc.

stop worrying! be positive! and you can always sign up for the July date to secure a spot just incase

Get that practice in! I'm sure you'll both be fine! You know your weakpoints - so work at it until you get tired of it, and keep working at it past that point, too. Diligence is key, and I wish I had done a better job with doing just that when I was studying for my test.

Signing up for that extra test date isn't a bad idea at all - esp if you're going into the test not feeling so confident.

Ok so hey guys! I just finished my mcat a couple of days ago (5/13 was brutal to be honest) and now I'm just getting my application finished and trying to finalize my school list before the time comes up.
Background: Just finished Undergrad in Life Sciences, AA- Canadian male, Low SES (trying not to spend too much in my applications tbh)
GPA: cGPA: 3.71 sGPA: 3.5 (Strong upward trend 3.9-4.0 last 3 years, first year got me a little bit o_O)
MCAT:
Waiting patiently, but I practised around 507-513 so hopefully not under 507 (fingers crossed)
ECs:
-Recently went on a mission to Ethiopia to shadow a rural surgeon (who is doing more good in this world than any of us could ever imagine) over 500 hours shadowing
-Spent over 2000 hours over the last 7 years coaching intercity kids basketball, these kids mean more to me than anything, and giving back to my community is extremely important to me
-More than 1500 hours over the last 4 summers tutoring kids at the local minority private school (because I went there as a kid and wouldn't be where I am without them) Great kids and just tried to teach anything I possibly could
-200 hours helping Syrian refugees who were recently accepted to Canada get acclimated to society and being available to them whenever they needed help
-Spent over 4 hours per week the semester helping international Chinese students get accustom to life at my University, was basically like a big brother and tried to help these students.
- Held down many jobs throughout school and tried to divide my time as much as possible
-Couple of other little things, but No research yet (not that interested), but will be doing clinical research all next year during my post bacc while praying I get accepted somewhere
School List: (All are Canadian friendly from what I've found out)
Dreams (Super Reaches):
-Yale
-Emory
-Stanford
-NorthWestern
-Harvard
-Columbia
-Mayo
-Duke
-Cornell

Kinda Reaches/ Stretch:
-UC Davis
-Pritzker school of medicine
-Boston U
-Michigan State
-NYU
-UNC
-Rutgers
-Albert Einstein (?)
-Mount Sinai
-Tufts
-Rutgers
-Syracuse
-Penn State

At My Level (hopefully):
-
Medical College of Georgia
-Rosalind Franklin
-College of Illinois
-Central Michigan
-Oakland
-University of Michigan
-Valhala
-Stony Brook
-Case Western
-Cincinnati
-Pittsburg
-Howard
-Meharry
-Wayne State
-Oakland Beaumont
-VCU
-CMU
-George Washington (?)

I was confused about some of these so if anyone can help me refine my list based on any knowledge or opinion that would be amazing! (Also applying to all Ontario schools, but gotta be safe lol)

Im routing for you!!!

121/2 Chem -124/6 CARS - 124/5 Bio - 129/130 Psych

I'm hoping to get 122/126/125/and the coveted 132

But we'll see. It's hard to crack that 130

Ok, this is my personal opinion only so take it for what it's worth. The administration was very unprofessional, facilities weren't up to date, my friend let me know that the pass rate is low as well (though you should do your own research on this) it is not as established as the other HBCU's, the students didn't seem very happy or welcoming, my friend says the atmosphere sucks if your not used to that HBCU atmosphere (that's subjective but I agree). That's my two cents.
And even though Howard is an HBCU you medical school is actually pretty diverse

I visited and thought it was trash. But again that's my PERSONAL experience, it's all subjective though so

Ok, this is my personal opinion only so take it for what it's worth. The administration was very unprofessional, facilities weren't up to date, my friend let me know that the pass rate is low as well (though you should do your own research on this) it is not as established as the other HBCU's, the students didn't seem very happy or welcoming, my friend says the atmosphere sucks if your not used to that HBCU atmosphere (that's subjective but I agree). That's my two cents.
And even though Howard is an HBCU you medical school is actually pretty diverse
I'm sorry to be that person, but I think it's uncalled for to proclaim a school as "trash", especially by hearsay or solely on personal experience. It's fine if you don't want to apply to a school, and of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but the fact of the matter is that all (well...save for the few that adcoms often post about as not being able to recommend) medical schools here have high standards, and it's a privilege to attend medical school in the U.S. period. Not only that, but I'm sure there are applicants in this thread who will be applying there, and who knows, some may even end up attending by the end of the cycle. In my opinion (which is one of someone who will be matriculating this year, so take that as you will), I think it's best for an applicant to suss a school out on interview day, if they are fortunate enough to be invited. Not everywhere will be a fit for you, and that's okay. Furthermore, also don't forget that not everyone gets to go to medical school based on "fit"; you may only get one choice. If you can't imagine yourself somewhere from the get-go, do yourself a favor and don't apply there. Save your time/money, and instead focus on applying to places where you're sure you'll attend if offered admission.

Okay, I'm done ranting...:ninja:

Reactions: 7 users
I'm sorry to be that person, but I think it's uncalled for to proclaim a school as "trash", especially by hearsay or solely on personal experience. It's fine if you don't want to apply to a school, and of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but the fact of the matter is that all (well...save for the few that adcoms often post about as not being able to recommend) medical schools here have high standards, and it's a privilege to attend medical school in the U.S. period. Not only that, but I'm sure there are applicants in this thread who will be applying there, and who knows, some may even end up attending by the end of the cycle. In my opinion (which is one of someone who will be matriculating this year, so take that as you will), I think it's best for an applicant to suss a school out on interview day, if they are fortunate enough to be invited. Not everywhere will be a fit for you, and that's okay. Furthermore, also don't forget that not everyone gets to go to medical school based on "fit"; you may only get one choice. If you can't imagine yourself somewhere from the get-go, do yourself a favor and don't apply there. Save your time/money, and instead focus on applying to places where you're sure you'll attend if offered admission.

Okay, I'm done ranting...:ninja:
I emphasized it was my PERSONAL opinion so you know that's kinda where I'm going to leave it

As an out of state applicant?
UCLA, in general, states that they don't have a preference for in/out of state for applicants for admission. I'm not 100% sure how/if that extends to Drew and can't be that helpful since I didn't apply there, but maybe it'd be worth a call to the admissions office if that information isn't readily available on their website?

FAQs - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA

I emphasized it was my PERSONAL opinion so you know that's kinda where I'm going to leave it
I appreciate and acknowledge that it's your opinion, no disrespect; but there are people constructing school lists and I hope applicants here are more inclined to do their own research on schools rather than solely go by opinions on SDN. That's all.

I appreciate and acknowledge that it's your opinion, no disrespect; but there are people constructing school lists and I hope applicants here are more inclined to do their own research on schools rather than solely go by opinions on SDN. That's all.
Not only did I say it was a personal opinion, I also said to take it for what it's worth AND encouraged some them to do some research... I'm not sure what else you could want from a personal opinion. Plus I responded to someone who wanted to know my opinion it's not like I came on ranting and screaming lies for no apparent reason. I'm sorry your rant just seemed unwarranted.

Not only did I say it was a personal opinion, I also said to take it for what it's worth AND encouraged some them to do some research... I'm not sure what else you could want from a personal opinion. Plus I responded to someone who wanted to know my opinion it's not like I came on ranting and screaming lies for no apparent reason. I'm sorry your rant just seemed unwarranted.
I'm only here to lend my (albeit limited) perspective as someone who has gone already through the application process, and I think that in a time as stressful as the beginning of an application cycle, keeping the right perspective is important. I'm not ignoring the fact that you had your disclaimer, but too many people take opinions on SDN more seriously than they should, and I would hate to see someone potentially discouraged from applying to a school because someone had something bad to say about it (unsubstantiated*, even-- or based again on personal opinions rather than facts), hence me lending my perspective. It wasn't necessarily a personal attack on you moreso than a PSA that doing research into the schools one is applying to is extremely important.

*edited to clarify