**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder what the likelihood is of those who read personal statements stealing another person's statement and using it as their own. I know I sound crazy, but I am so paranoid about anything going wrong! :laugh:

Lol, actively stalk before sending. Nothing goes away on the internet ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Y'all AMCAS is messing up already. I input my schools and ordered transcripts for one and AMCAS attached it to the wrong school as submitted -_-

If anything should be rushed right now, it should be transcripts as they are the number one culprit of apps being held up. I can see why. There are humans involved in almost every step of this process. Mistakes are bound to happen. So get your transcripts ordered now so they get all the mistakes out of the way early :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Y'all AMCAS is messing up already. I input my schools and order transcripts for one and AMCAS attached it to the wrong school as submitted -_- If anything should be rushed right now, it should be transcripts as they are the number one culprit of apps being held up. I can see why. There are humans involved in almost every step of this process. Mistakes are bound to happen. So get your transcripts ordered now so they get all the mistakes out of the way early :laugh:

Wait, are you saying that you have to order your university's transcripts through AMCAS? Or are you saying that when they arrive to AMCAS, the system was attaching the transcript to the wrong med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad that I've completed this application before so filling in some of these things will be a breeze.

I'm scared to see my school total. 30 schools are going to be receiving my application

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, are you saying that you have to order your university's transcripts through AMCAS? Or are you saying that when they arrive to AMCAS, the system was attaching the transcript to the wrong med school?

The latter, except when they arrived AMCAS attached them to the wrong undergrad university that I attended.

They each have their own AMCAS transcript ID and I attached school IDs to both so this is surprising. I'll call and get it straightened out tomorrow.

Last edited:
The latter, expect when they arrived AMCAS attached them to the wrong undergrad university that I attended.

They each have their own AMCAS transcript ID and I attached school IDs to both so this is surprising. I'll call and get it straightened out tomorrow.

That's strange! But glad you caught it! Another question - did you get an email notification that they received your transcript? I haven't logged in to start the application and I ordered one of mine last week. Not sure if I'll be notified if I have yet to start the application.

That's strange! But glad you caught it! Another question - did you get an email notification that they received your transcript? I haven't logged in to start the application and I ordered one of mine last week. Not sure if I'll be notified if I have yet to start the application.

Yes, I did get an email notification from AMCAS. Also, on the application if you click on "details" under the transcript screen it will show that they are received as well.

I hope your transcripts make it and get paired with your application! I had to put my AMCAS ID on the transcript request from my University. If AMCAS received them last week for some reason, I think they got paired with the 2016-2017 application. Either way, you will get an email.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I did get an email notification from AMCAS. Also, on the application if you click on "details" under the transcript screen it will show that they are received as well.

I hope your transcripts make it and get paired with your application! I had to put my AMCAS ID on the transcript request from my University. If AMCAS received them last week for some reason, I think they got paired with the 2016-2017 application. Either way, you will get an email.

Great, thank you so much! I ordered one from a CC last week and I am having trouble ordering from my university for some reason, but glad to know that I'll get notified. I did not put my AMCAS ID on the first one though, so hopefully it gets paired!

Do you think I have a decent shot at MDs?

the HBCU's would be a good option right? especially Howard in particular.

Look at the MSAR for the HBCU's. I really think those are a great option

and other lower tiers like Tulane, RF, G. Washington...

Do you think I have a decent shot at MDs?
To be perfectly honest probably not but apply to your state schools. A 502 will pre-sort you out of most schools. Honestly it might be worth while taking again.

Since Im not gets much love in WAMC, I'll post here:

502 MCAT 3.4 cGPA 3.1 sGPA URM (Hispanic)
126, 123, 127, 126

Upward trend (3.8) Senior year
First generation
California Resident
Fluent in Spanish

Significant EC's

Spanish translator for free clinic (5 months)
Hospital Volunteer (3 years)
Homeless student tutor (1 year)
REU Summer Research Internship (10 weeks)
NIH Summer Research Internship (10 weeks)
Presented poster and gave oral talk at 3 Conferences National and Regional
Student Athlete: Cycling (4 years)

What are my chances for IS, OOS, or MD? Can anyone suggest some schools?
Apply to schools in PR since you are fluent in spanish

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
the HBCU's would be a good option right? especially Howard in particular.

Look at the MSAR for the HBCU's. I really think those are a great option

and other lower tiers like Tulane, RF, G. Washington...

I second the HBCUs.

Those lower tiers tend to be low yield though. As someone stated below it'll be difficult and normally I'd say you have a good chance in state but you're from California. Our GPAs aren't too different but combined with that MCAT I would've had a completely different cycle.

Apply broadly and definitely apply DO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I second the HBCUs.

Those lower tiers tend to be low yield though. As someone stated below it'll be difficult and normally I'd say you have a good chance in state but you're from California. Our GPAs aren't too different but combined with that MCAT I would've had a completely different cycle.

Apply broadly and definitely apply DO.

I have actually seen GORO or gyngyn, say that Howard matriculated no mexicans last cycle. I would check MSAR for the racial demographics too

To be perfectly honest probably not but apply to your state schools. A 502 will pre-sort you out of most schools. Honestly it might be worth while taking again.

This isn't exactly true though. Especially for URMs.

Let me be clear, I'm am not saying 502 is a very competitive score AT ALL. I'm saying that with a good school list, it is possible. Will the applicant get rejected from most MD schools? Absolutely. But let's stop pushing the idea that it's a worthless score. The HBU's have a matriculation average lower than that, right?

Look, if you can take it again and do better PLEASE DO. DO should dominate your school list, but there's a chance you can get several MD interviews if the rest of your app is looking right.

Take a look at the LizzyM calculator. With those stats Hispanic/Latinos have a 28% chance of MD and Blacks have 39% (national average). Be realistic with your school list, but don't completely count yourself out. Not when a few Caucasian students with 500 were admitted to MD.

I have actually seen GORO or gyngyn, say that Howard matriculated no mexicans last cycle. I would check MSAR for the racial demographics too

I didn't know the MSAR got as specific as the descents of Hispanic people admitted to medical schools. Also, I Cycle never said that they were Mexican - just Hispanic. I agree with @OchemOficionado in looking at LizzyM and other past matriculation data on the AAMC website.

Let me be clear, I'm am not saying 502 is a very competitive score AT ALL. I'm saying that with a good school list, it is possible. Will the applicant get rejected from most MD schools? Absolutely. But let's stop pushing the idea that it's a worthless score. The HBU's have a matriculation average lower than that, right?

Look, if you can take it again and do better PLEASE DO. DO should dominate your school list, but there's a chance you can get several MD interviews if the rest of your app is looking right.

Take a look at the LizzyM calculator. With those stats Hispanic/Latinos have a 28% chance of MD and Blacks have 39% (national average). Be realistic with your school list, but don't completely count yourself out. Not when a few Caucasian students with 500 were admitted to MD.

Very true yet you have to then wonder what that data is really conveying. What fraction of that 28% were accepted in friendlier state schools, what fraction were accepted to HBCUs, and finally what fraction had something else to shine on their application.

A 502 is in no way a death sentence and I don't think anyone has said it's a worthless score. It surely won't help anyone's application though. URM or otherwise.

Very true yet you have to then wonder what that data is really conveying. What fraction of that 28% were accepted in friendlier state schools, what fraction were accepted to HBCUs, and finally what fraction had something else to shine on their application.

A 502 is in no way a death sentence and I don't think anyone has said it's a worthless score. It surely won't help anyone's application though. URM or otherwise.

I totally agree with the first paragraph. All I'm saying is it's worth researching and crafting a good school list.

I did get the impression that it was being said that the 502 was a MD death sentence/complete waste of time so I wanted to chime in.

Great, thank you so much! I ordered one from a CC last week and I am having trouble ordering from my university for some reason, but glad to know that I'll get notified. I did not put my AMCAS ID on the first one though, so hopefully it gets paired!

BTW, AMCAS fixed the transcript issue by the time I woke up this morning. I got one email saying they were removed and then another saying they were placed appropriately.

I totally agree with the first paragraph. All I'm saying is it's worth researching and crafting a good school list.

I did get the impression that it was being said that the 502 was a MD death sentence/complete waste of time so I wanted to chime in.

Yeah. It definitely isn't a death sentence. GPA makes a world of a difference, and ECs will be really important. But not a death sentence by any means. More mission-driven schools may have more leeway with the score.

I am not familiar with the HBU exact numbers but remember that averages alone are naked statistics. Where does the mean lie? Also of those students who have 502 or worse how many havr science gpas at a 3.1? These are all things that should be factored in. If a Caucasian applicant were accepted with a 500 they surely have a stellar gpa and extra curriculars or some kind of legacy.
28 percent is low and with the gpa factored in I don't think it would even be that high. I am just trying to give realistic advice to get the OP into medical school. I see applying to a bunch of MD schools in this situation as a waste of a lot of money that's all.

I am not familiar with the HBU exact numbers but remember that averages alone are naked statistics. Where does the mean lie? Also of those students who have 502 or worse how many havr science gpas at a 3.1? These are all things that should be factored in. If a Caucasian applicant were accepted with a 500 they surely have a stellar gpa and extra curriculars or some kind of legacy.
28 percent is low and with the gpa factored in I don't think it would even be that high. I am just trying to give realistic advice to get the OP into medical school. I see applying to a bunch of MD schools in this situation as a waste of a lot of money that's all.

The new MSAR gives you the median, IQR and range for MCAT, cGPA and BCPM of accepted and matriculant students for all schools. And I also think OP has a shot at MD.

The new MSAR gives you the median, IQR and range for MCAT, cGPA and BCPM of accepted and matriculant students for all schools. And I also think OP has a shot at MD.
Like I said I haven't seen the numbers from the new msar regarding hbus and if it gives you all that and it's reasonable obviously go for it. Perhaps consult someone with far greater understanding on the process like @Goro or @gyngyn

I'm not super familiar with the stats either, but from what I saw on MSAR last week, HBU avg was high 490s.

I agree everything should be factored in.

If you look around the site you'll see the Caucasians that got in with 500-503 didn't have anything as spectacular as you're guessing. They had a great school list and some school decided to believe in them.

28% IS with the GPA factored in. It isn't high, but it isn't 0%.

I appreciate you trying to be realistic, I truly do. I just think you're off the mark partly. I think OP should get advice from someone more knowledgeable and more familiar with school averages, etc. (That person isn't me. I advised the poster to tag adcoms/faculty in the WAMC post)

I'm not super familiar with the stats either, but from what I saw on MSAR last week, HBU avg was high 490s.

I agree everything should be factored in.

If you look around the site you'll see the Caucasians that got in with 500-503 didn't have anything as spectacular as you're guessing. They had a great school list and some school decided to believe in them.

28% IS with the GPA factored in. It isn't high, but it isn't 0%.

I appreciate you trying to be realistic, I truly do. I just think you're off the mark partly. I think OP should get advice from someone more knowledgeable and more familiar with school avgerages, etc. (That person isn't me. I advised the poster to tag adcoms/faculty in the WAMC post)
I tagged a few already

AA acceptance rate with 502 (26) combo and GPA in that range is around 30% from the older charts. GPA has already been factored in.

I appreciate everyone's input. I will apply broadly and hope for the best!

Hey guys! I posted this in the WAMC thread, so I guess I'll post it here as well. I am not exactly sure which schools to apply to because my EC's are low key mediocre/weak. Feedback is appreciated!
GPA: 3.6

sGPA: 3.55

MCAT:515

URM: AA male

Clinical Volunteering: 150 hrs at hospital (surgery)

Research: started last semester around 100 hours, written proposal paper

Shadowing: None…yet. Actively looking

Non clinical volunteering: 500+ hrs at local religious center as a tutor/helper for teens of same background

Hobbies: Pre-med society at school, School fitness org (treasurer), bodybuilding, martial arts

School List: all Ohio schools. Not really sure about others to add

Hey guys! I posted this in the WAMC thread, so I guess I'll post it here as well. I am not exactly sure which schools to apply to because my EC's are low key mediocre/weak. Feedback is appreciated!
GPA: 3.6

sGPA: 3.55

MCAT:515

URM: AA male

Clinical Volunteering: 150 hrs at hospital (surgery)

Research: started last semester around 100 hours, written proposal paper

Shadowing: None…yet. Actively looking

Non clinical volunteering: 500+ hrs at local religious center as a tutor/helper for teens of same background

Hobbies: Pre-med society at school, School fitness org (treasurer), bodybuilding, martial arts

School List: all Ohio schools. Not really sure about others to add

Where in Ohio are you? I know a few of the hospital systems have simple forms to fill out and they'll match you up with a doctor. You'll get love with your stats, but that's a hole you'll definitely have to answer for if you don't fill it. You could probably stand to do some additional volunteer work as well. Have you worked any during school?

Where in Ohio are you? I know a few of the hospital systems have simple forms to fill out and they'll match you up with a doctor. You'll get love with your stats, but that's a hole you'll definitely have to answer for if you don't fill it. You could probably stand to do some additional volunteer work as well. Have you worked any during school?
I'm in the Dayton/ cinci suburb area. And yeah I am still volunteering this summer, but definitely have to shadow. I worked part time all of junior year, about 17 hours/wk (unrelated to anything medical) and I am a traditional applicant, graduating spring 2018.

Last edited:

I'm glad someone finally spoke up about this. Whenever people see a score less than 510 they scream retake.

Last edited:
--

Last edited:
Shoot for the stars! That MCAT is 100 percentile for AAs. Did you post in WAMC? They should be able to help you with a great list!

Last edited:
Shoot for the stars! That MCAT is 100 percentile for AAs. Did you post in WAMC? They should be able to help you with a great list!

Thanks a lot @OchemOficionado. I haven't yet. I'm low key high key scared of posting elsewhere and being dragged but I think I'll give it a go

yea I think I'm just still experiencing some PTSD after a(nother) URM attack thread

Hey everyone.

I posted in the TMDSAS thread, decided to go ahead and share with my fellow URMs lol.

I was originally going to take my MCAT June 17, but I decided to push it back to July 22. I know that's super late, especially for Texas but I'd rather have a high MCAT score and a late app than a low MCAT.

I plan on planning on applying to 11 out of state schools. Not sure if I want to apply to the HBCUs or not, they're pretty expensive.

Non-trad AA male here.

Good luck to everyone.

Hey everyone.

I posted in the TMDSAS thread, decided to go ahead and share with my fellow URMs lol.

I was originally going to take my MCAT June 17, but I decided to push it back to July 22. I know that's super late, especially for Texas but I'd rather have a high MCAT score and a late app than a low MCAT.

I plan on planning on applying to 11 out of state schools. Not sure if I want to apply to the HBCUs or not, they're pretty expensive.

Non-trad AA male here.

Good luck to everyone.
I can definitely sympathize with not feeling prepared for the MCAT- you should definitely take it when you feel ready but just don't push it back further ;) Definitely try to submit your app as soon as possible as that also increases chances of an interview. Wishing you good luck!

Hey everyone.

Non-trad AA male here.

Good luck to everyone.
Just have absolutely everything complete by the time your score is released. Letters in, transcripts in, etc. Submit prior to your mcat dcore coming out so you can be verified and app transmitted to school by the time your MCAT rolls around.

I'm not sure if the Texas schools that require secondaries would send you one without an MCAT score...never been in that situation but you could call the schools and ask if it's of importance to you.

Same with AMCAS. Submit to one throwaway school in order to get verified then add the rest once you get your score. Pre-write all secondaries.

July 22 isn't ideal but with careful planning, you can make it happen. The only downside is it leaves no room for a retake if warranted.

Good luck fellow Texan!

Just wanted to pop by and introduce myself
Black African Male
GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 504
-Clinical Volunteering: 80+ Hours at a local nursing home (My most Meaningful EC tbh)
-Non Clinical Volunteering: 50+ Hours
-Shadowing: (Don't have an exact hour number because a lot of it was done informally at the nursing home, but i'd say about 15-20 hours)
-Leadership Position in SGA where i'm in charge of allocating the budget for our school's recreational department
-Leadership Position in My Honors Fraternity.
-4 Consecutive Semesters of Research with two different PIs. (1st was Educational Psychology Based & Second was a neuroscience lab)
-- Got to present my research at our university president's annual research symposium.
-Worked at a Camp Counselor between my Freshman & Sophomore year of college.
-Going to work at a STEM based camp run by my university this summer.

My School List is currently:
(Wil update after i get my MCAT Score)
Morehouse
Meharry
Mercer

NOVA
P-Com GA
V-com Auburn

- Nice to meet Everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You take your mcat right before me. Let me know what you think of it. I was crying in slave earlier :laugh::cryi::laugh:

Hello everyone!

I will be applying with you all in this cycle (AA gender nonconforming). I'm hoping for the best and hope all y'all have great cycles too. For those of you taking the MCAT soon feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want some advice. I've been working as an MCAT tutor since September.

Reactions: 9 users
Please share the questions and answers when you have them please :)

my questions were, then, how do you classify Biochemistry & Criminal justice classes
answer: chemistry and government

my questions now are HOW THE HELL DO YOU QUANTIFY HOURS?? for the past 2 years I have been working for the doctor. some weeks I worked 60hours, some weeks I only got 15 hours. If i was sick I only got 4. I could look at my pay stubs, but the thing is I drive between our two clinics (they are 1 hour apart). In any given day where I worked 16 hours, 2.5 of those hours was driving and lunch time... Also I had a 5 month period, not paid, where I was working for him to "test waters" before I become a permanent staff member.

this app just became tedious lol

^^ EDIT* and the space they provide isn't enough lol . The title of my publication is getting cut off :(

Last edited:
Another question

if I had a research internship for two semesters, and made a poster presentation for both those semesters, how many activity spots would I use ?

Like, since I presented a poster twice that would be one activity that is "repeated". But for the intersnhip, is that something mentioning as a separate actitivty, or could it be understood that from my internship I gathered the data to generate the poster?

Another question

if I had a research internship for two semesters, and made a poster presentation for both those semesters, how many activity spots would I use ?

Like, since I presented a poster twice that would be one activity that is "repeated". But for the intersnhip, is that something mentioning as a separate actitivty, or could it be understood that from my internship I gathered the data to generate the poster?

It's my understanding that we get to decide how many activity spots we use. We can choose to group similar things or not. One of the things I'd base it on is how many other activities you already have (are you hurting to fill up spots?). This would be a great question to add to @gonnif 's ACMAS questions thread in pre-allo. I think he may have answered a similar question recently though.

GPA: 3.3
Science: 3.0
Majors: Biology and Psychology
Minor: Multicultural Studies
MCAT: 496-500 range

Extracurriculars:
SMDEP: May 2014-July 2014
Global Health Brigades (Public Health): Honduras Jan 2015 1 week. National Honor Society in Psychology
Pre Med Honor Society
Global Brigades: September 2014-May 2016
Gay Club lol: August 2014-May 2016

Shadowing Experience:

Dr. S, MD (8 Hours): July 2014
Dr. M, MD (5 Hours) July 2014
Dr. K, MD (4 hours per week): February 2015-May 2015
Dr. T, DO (Time Varies): September 2016-February 2017
Dr. MT: May 2017

Research Experience:

Research Assistant, Conditioning and Neuroscience,

Dr. T S September 2013-May 2016, 4-5 hours per week

I have one paper under review for publication

Work Experience:

Caller, Alumni Associate
Summer 2013, 9 hours per week

Kitchen Manager, Chipotle Mexican Grill
October 2016-Present, 40 hours per week

Deli Associate, Walmart
June 2015-August 2015

Volunteer Experience:

Emergency Children’s Shelter
January 2015-May 2016, 4-10 hours per week (600+ documented hours. 800+ undocumented)

Centro Latino de Salud
February 2016-May 2016, 4 hours per week (40+ total)
- Pick-up and Drop off driver for enrollees in Centro Latino
- Reading/Math/Literary tutor for family of immigrants
- Promoted healthy eating habits for children and their families

Mentorship Program
Emergency Children’s Shelter
April 2015-present
(Basically I'm a mentor/big brother like person for 8+ kids in foster care)

AIDS Foundation
May 2017-Present

Hospital
May 2017-Present
- Here my sister set me up with a DO and I attend lectures on manipulation and attend activities with medical school students/residents

School List:

1. Eastern Virginia Medical School
2. Meharry Medical College
3. Howard Medical College
4. Southern Illinois College of Medicine
5. UCLA Geffens
6. UIC
7. Morehouse
8. Rosalind Franklin
9. Rush University College of Medicine
10. Charles Drew College of Medicine
11. University of Kansas School of Medicine
12. Medical College of Wisconsin
13. Loyola
14. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
15. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
16. Michigan State University
17. Indiana University School of Medicine
18. University of Minnesota Twin Cities
19. University of Wisconsin Madison
20. West Virginia University School of Medicine
21. Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
22. University of South Carolina School of Medicine
23. University of South Carolina Greenville
24. University of Chicago Pritzker
25. Marshall University Joan C Edwards School of Medicine
26. Northeast Ohio Medical University
27. Oakland University Beaumont School of Medicine
28. University of Arkansas Medical Sciences College of Medicine
29. University of Washington School of Medicine
30. Vermont

DO Medical School List

1. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Kirksville
3. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
4. Des Moines
5. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
6. Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
7. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
8. Western University of Health Sciences
9. Touro University California
10. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
11. Michigan State Osteopathic
12. Campbell University College of Osteopathic Medicine
13. Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
14. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine
15. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York

*Side Note* I've studied spanish for 8 years

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Also I want to mention that none of my schools are ranked in priority order.