**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all, I need some advice: I have a meeting with the director of one my top MD-PhD programs and I'm obviously very nervous lol. I'm meeting with him to get advice on taking a gap year and what to do during my gap year if I end up taking one. Do y'all have any advice on what kinds of questions to ask / how to make the most of this meeting? Thanks! :)

I would say not to ask things that make it seem as if you haven't done your research. Stick to ones that elucidate what path is best for you based on your specific application. Find out what they've seen in the past that makes candidates stand out and if there are any clear holes in your application.

I always carry a CV to meetings like that and when I was a re-applicant, I carried my old application and received a good amount of tailored advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you already do the problem/question bank?
I'm working on those. I've done the section bank for B/B and P/S. The rest of the SB and the QB I have already planned out in my study schedule (2 weeks from now).

The new MSAR is out. RIP the new MCAT averages make me want to retake it =/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The new MSAR is right. RIP the new MCAT averages make me want to retake it =/
They're higher than I expected! But I think we should focus more on the MCAT averages that the AAMC posted based on applicant/matriculant demographics. I know the average mcat for Latinx matriculants was a 503, but we should still reach for that 528! lol

Just finished my last final yesterday and I'm graduating this Summer! Ready to tackle my application full force.

What are you guys doing right now?

Just finished my last final yesterday and I'm graduating this Summer! Ready to tackle my application full force.

That's awesome! Congrats! I'm scribing and doing some volunteering. Waiting for my MCAT score that's coming next week and praying I didn't bomb

Last edited:
That's awesome! Congrats! I'm scribing with a family and OB/Gyn doctor and doing some volunteering. Waiting for my MCAT score that's coming next week and praying I didn't bomb

Here's hoping you did really well! Are you/did you do anything post-MCAT to celebrate?

That's awesome! Congrats! I'm scribing with a family and OB/Gyn doctor and doing some volunteering. Waiting for my MCAT score that's coming next week and praying I didn't bomb

Trust in your practice averages! :) I'm sure you did fine. Time to relax.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Here's hoping you did really well! Are you/did you do anything post-MCAT to celebrate?
Yes!! The evening of my mcat I met up with some friends in Chicago! I had the best weekend; it felt so good to let my mind take a break and the weather was beeaaaauuuuuutiful

Thanks @SydSing !! Definitely doing just that!

Just registered for the MCAT date: 7/21/17- it just got real!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Everyone!

I am an applicant from the 2016-2017 cycle, who was waitlisted at 2 schools. GPA: 3.4, MCAT 1st time: 503, 2nd time : 501, so that was likely my huge deterrent. I wish I had known threads like this existed when I was applying, it would have been great to have all this support. I am gearing to reapply because I don't want to bank on getting off waitlists even though I'm still praying.

For anyone on here who has been waitlisted or is has reapplied before, I would love some advice.

Background about me : African female, very interested in public health disparities.

Non school stuff: I love working out, music, Netflix ( Currently watching Grey's anatomy) and listening to my favorite podcast- The Read.

They're higher than I expected! But I think we should focus more on the MCAT averages that the AAMC posted based on applicant/matriculant demographics. I know the average mcat for Latinx matriculants was a 503, but we should still reach for that 528! lol

My eyes are set on a 510. When do you test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!

I am an applicant from the 2016-2017 cycle, who was waitlisted at 2 schools. GPA: 3.4, MCAT 1st time: 503, 2nd time : 501, so that was likely my huge deterrent. I wish I had known threads like this existed when I was applying, it would have been great to have all this support. I am gearing to reapply because I don't want to bank on getting off waitlists even though I'm still praying.

For anyone on here who has been waitlisted or is has reapplied before, I would love some advice.

Background about me : African female, very interested in public health disparities.

Non school stuff: I love working out, music, Netflix ( Currently watching Grey's anatomy) and listening to my favorite podcast- The Read.
I love The Read!!!

Congrats! that's a huge accomplishment . I'm currently working on studying for the MCAT

Hello Everyone!

You'll get off a waitlist. I know it. Do you mind sharing your school list or at least where you were offered interviews? (PM me if necesary) :)

You'll get off a waitlist. I know it. Do you mind sharing your school list or at least where you were offered interviews? (PM me if necesary) :)

Thank you so much for your positivity :) I'll PM you

I know AMCAS opens tomorrow but does it open at midnight? I'm going to be up late tonight so I might as well start the primary.

Anyone else excited/terrified?

:boom:

I know AMCAS opens tomorrow but does it open at midnight? I'm going to be up late tonight so I might as well start the primary.

Yes, excited and terrified :)

I think it's a manual process so it won't be happening at 12am is my guess. I spoke with a rep last week and she said just try when you wake up.

Hey guys last cycle applicant here and a URM also I had a successful cycle with 7 interviews and 5 acceptances. If you need any help I should be available until August when I bury myself in the books haha
GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 6 users
Yea, I think 2018 matriculation year opens tomorrow, may 2nd

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I posted this on the main MCAT forum but was hoping ya'll would be able to help me out with feedback!

I'm taking my test on 5/19. I work full time so it's been kinda tough, but I've been pulling through. I took the MCAT for the first time on April 2015 and scored a 499 (126,126,125,122). I was still in school at the time and I didn't really study as much as I should have. This time around I'm more on top of it. So far I've done the following:

Sample test: 53%/77%/58%/76%
SB: CP 52%, BB 42%, PS 63%
NS Diagnostic: 123, 125, 125, 127
NS FL1: 127, 125, 126, 128

My schedule till the day of my test is as follows (will be taking a vacation from work from 5/10-5/22):
5/1 Review CP Section bank + Bio QP1
5/2 NS FL 2
5/3 Review NS FL 2
5/4 Bio QP 2
5/5 Review Bio QP 1 and 2
5/6 AAMC FL 1
5/7 Review AAMC FL1
5/8 CARS QP 1
5/9 Chemistry QP
5/10 NS FL3
5/11 Review NS FL3 + Retake PS SB
5/12 CARS QP 2 + Retake BB SB
5/13 NS FL 4
5/14 Review NS FL 4
5/15 Physics QP + Retake CP SB
5/16 AAMC FL 2
5/17 Review AAMC FL 2
5/18 REST DAY
5/19 TEST DAY

I know it's a long post but I would appreciate any input on ways to improve my schedule. I'm really aiming for a 508+

Thanks!

Hi all,

I posted this on the main MCAT forum but was hoping ya'll would be able to help me out with feedback!

I'm taking my test on 5/19. I work full time so it's been kinda tough, but I've been pulling through. I took the MCAT for the first time on April 2015 and scored a 499 (126,126,125,122). I was still in school at the time and I didn't really study as much as I should have. This time around I'm more on top of it. So far I've done the following:

My schedule till the day of my test is as follows (will be taking a vacation from work from 5/10-5/22):
5/2 NS FL 2
5/3 Review NS FL 2
5/4 Bio QP 2
5/6 AAMC FL 1
5/7 Review AAMC FL1
5/8 CARS QP 1
5/9 Chemistry QP
5/10 NS FL3
5/13 NS FL 4
5/14 Review NS FL 4
5/16 AAMC FL 2
5/17 Review AAMC FL 2
5/18 REST DAY
5/19 TEST DAY

I know it's a long post but I would appreciate any input on ways to improve my schedule. I'm really aiming for a 508+

Thanks!

I think your schedule looks good! If you find yourself on a time crunch, I would prioritize AAMC FLs, the CARS Q Packs, and retaking the section banks. I started the science Q packs and didn't find them too helpful, so I ended up not doing them, and was fine. I also found it useful to use Khan Academy videos to do content review for topics that were still rough for me (based on practice tests and practice problems), especially for the P/S section. There are also lots of great review videos on youtube especially for B/B and C/P. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
HIIII,
Im so excited to be here!! This will be such a long year, but I know each of us will have a successful one!
I was stalking last year's thread and now its my year to apply

Background: Maryland resident, African American female, first generation college student, community college transfer student, graduating this May, 21yr old, traditional, lesbian
Major: Neurophysiology
MCAT: June 16th
GPA: 3.8c ; 3.69s
MCAT: taking on June 16th
Clinical:
1 month of phlebotomy training and measuring vital signs
2 years ophthalmology medical technician (10-50hrs/week) depending on summer/winter break
observed shadowed physician doing surgeries
Research:
1 year of research (actually two semesters Jan2016-Dec2016, omit summer break)
2 poster presentations at my university "undergraduate research day"
1 publication, co author (4th)
EC's:
SMDEP
President of Math club
President of a science outreach club on campus
Peer educator/ TA for Cell biology
Tutor for Cell biology
Orientation leader- two summers
Deans List, every year except for sophomore year
Worked part-time every semester in college...15-20hrs/week.

I will be using my committee letter.
My PS is finished and I plan to submit on the first day.

Last edited:

It opens 7pm CST. When I looked at what AAMC listed, the declared 12am GMT as the grand opening. Converting have me the 7pm. Of course it's different for whatever region you live in

I'm supposed to be applying this cycle but I'm unsure because my MCAT isn't exactly where I want it so I'm nervous. My friend surprisingly got into medical school with a 497, but I don't want to have to fight or pray on my knees every night. I think my extracurriculars are fine and I have other compelling things about me that'll make me stand out. My only real flaw is my subpar MCAT that I can't seem to improve.

I filling out the application now! I already have questions im going to have to call in lol

Hi all,

5/2 NS FL 2
5/3 Review NS FL 2
5/4 Bio QP 2
5/6 AAMC FL 1
5/7 Review AAMC FL1
5/8 CARS QP 1
5/9 Chemistry QP
5/10 NS FL3
5/13 NS FL 4
5/14 Review NS FL 4
5/16 AAMC FL 2
5/17 Review AAMC FL 2
5/18 REST DAY
5/19 TEST DAY

Thanks!
Hey, I would definitely second @Beyonce2.0 that you wanna focus on the AAMC material for these last few weeks. For your P/S score I would recommend going over the Khan Academy notes a few times if you haven't already. Also, while you should definitely study all the material, don't let your weaknesses slip through- I personally struggled with C/P for some time and made sure that I just googled or went through notes for the concepts that challenged me most.

Got 5/9 of the sections done!

Are you guys trying to finish by tomorrow?

I don't think there's any point in rushing it since we can't submit until June but there's no way I'd finish this week what with work and volunteering

Oh, I'm so confused- I didn't realize we couldn't submit until June!

The quality is good inasmuch as I've been working all day.

Thanks for the heads up.

What's the point in finishing tomorrow when you came submit for a month? Is the quality up to par?

Oh, I'm so confused- I didn't realize we couldn't submit until June!

The quality is good inasmuch as I've been working all day.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gotcha. I'd try to finish it asap if I was under the impression we could submit soon. Take your time where it's needed as this application is our first impression. Don't F it up after we've all come this far and worked so hard. I'm not saying each section is as important as our PS, but every word we put on that app is an opportunity for adcoms to judge if we are capable, intelligent, hardworking, worthy of this privilege, etc. We have to be very intentional on every piece of this app (and secondaries). We got this :)

Reactions: 4 users
Since Im not gets much love in WAMC, I'll post here:

502 MCAT 3.4 cGPA 3.1 sGPA URM (Hispanic)
126, 123, 127, 126

Upward trend (3.8) Senior year
First generation
California Resident
Fluent in Spanish

Significant EC's

Spanish translator for free clinic (5 months)
Hospital Volunteer (3 years)
Homeless student tutor (1 year)
REU Summer Research Internship (10 weeks)
NIH Summer Research Internship (10 weeks)
Presented poster and gave oral talk at 3 Conferences National and Regional
Student Athlete: Cycling (4 years)

What are my chances for IS, OOS, or MD? Can anyone suggest some schools?
Apply DO and apply broadly consider new schools like Marian in Indianapolis. Even as a URM your mcat and science gpa are going to cut it close.

Gotcha. I'd try to finish it asap if I was under the impression we could submit soon. Take your time where it's needed as this application is our first impression. Don't F it up after we've all come this far and worked so hard. I'm not saying each section is as important as our PS, but every word we put on that app is an opportunity for adcoms to judge if we are capable, intelligent, hardworking, worthy of this privilege, etc. We have to be very intentional on every piece of this app (and secondaries). We got this :)
No reason to rush the rule of thumb is "let your primary fly by the Fourth of July" so take your time. Applying a week or so earlier with more grammar errors or a less well written personal statement are not worth it (as long as you can still get your primaries out by the fourth) it is better to take the extra time

I'm also willing to read personal statements just pm me

I wonder what the likelihood is of those who read personal statements stealing another person's statement and using it as their own. I know I sound crazy, but I am so paranoid about anything going wrong! :laugh: