**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"but I apologize if my expression somehow affected your health."
Lmao, you savage
I couldn't help it. Like the whole tone in that post really blew me lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys....my first rejection...on my birthday. Double sting :(

Hey! You're not alone. It's just part of the process. We just gotta keep it moving. Go out and enjoy your birthday! Sending you good vibes and best wishes :)

Reactions: 4 users
I feel you. I signed up for the first day since that first day seems to be geared towards minorities. I just don't know if bringing my mom to the reception would be overkill lol.

I'm not sure if you already interviewed/attended this reception, but I'm bringing my mom in a few weeks. We were going to be in Delaware for an event that Saturday before anyways, so I just decided to interview on that Monday. And she'll pay for the hotel, so another win lol.

I second what DocAfri has mentioned already. I'm on my second rejection but it is part of the process! Don't let it bother ya. :)

Reactions: 2 users
It is all good, I am at 3 rejections right now. Bright side is the school did not leave you in Limbo and just stay silent. They did not deserve you anyway

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How wise would it be to just limit interviews to your home state? I applied across the southeast and I really don't think I can afford travel.

I haven't got interviews yet( my mcat results post on the 19th) so who knows what will happen.

How wise would it be to just limit interviews to your home state? I applied across the southeast and I really don't think I can afford travel.

I haven't got interviews yet( my mcat results post on the 19th) so who knows what will happen.
I think it'd depend on your home state. If you're like me and are from Ca, you can't really afford to do that unless you're some Nobel laureate, with a 4.0 528 mcat and your mom is the President of the UC system.

If you get an interview in area where you applied to other schools, you can always send them in the area emails to save on cost.

Reactions: 1 users
YALL. I interviewed at an NYC medical school today with a fellow African who was a clinical assistant professor and discussed institutionalize racism, health disparities and underrepresentation in medicine. It was the best interview ever because I actually could connect with who was interviewing me on a personal level and it felt great to see someone who looks like me in positions of leadership in medicine. When we're all doctors in high places one day, we have to pay it back and help aspiring URMs in the same way we have been uplifted.

Reactions: 27 users
YALL. I interviewed at an NYC medical school today with a fellow African who was a clinical assistant professor and discussed institutionalize racism, health disparities and underrepresentation in medicine. It was the best interview ever because I actually could connect with who was interviewing me on a personal level and it felt great to see someone who looks like me in positions of leadership in medicine. When we're all doctors in high places one day, we have to pay it back and help aspiring URMs in the same way we have been uplifted.

YESSSS! Sounds like a great interview!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Getting a little down and discouraged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a little down and discouraged

Keep your head up! Whether you haven't gotten many IIs yet, been rejected by a few places, or even worse, it's important to have an optimistic mindset. This is a really stressful process and can be daunting, especially if you compare yourself to other people! Know that only you can be as unique as you are and where (or when) you start med school doesn't define you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else feeling guilty about taking time off work to attend interviews? I've been very upfront with my manager from the beginning that I would be applying at medical school, there aren't any complaints about my performance, and I've been arranging for coverage. Still, I was raised to believe missing class/work/etc was just WRONG. I never missed school growing up. I guess I know my guilt is irrational but it's bothering me anyway.

On a more positive note, love seeing all the interview invites and success on here! Hopefully those of you still waiting on IIs will receive some good news soon :)

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else feeling guilty about taking time off work to attend interviews? I've been very upfront with my manager from the beginning that I would be applying at medical school, there aren't any complaints about my performance, and I've been arranging for coverage. Still, I was raised to believe missing class/work/etc was just WRONG. I never missed school growing up. I guess I know my guilt is irrational but it's bothering me anyway.

On a more positive note, love seeing all the interview invites and success on here! Hopefully those of you still waiting on IIs will receive some good news soon :)

I've been upfront with my research supervisor as well and he has been beyond supportive but I do feel guilty because all this time I am taking off for interviews the next two months stalls our research project by a lot. To make up for it, I have been coming to work earlier and staying later but its still difficult especially since I am not one to take time off from work.

Keep your head up! Whether you haven't gotten many IIs yet, been rejected by a few places, or even worse, it's important to have an optimistic mindset. This is a really stressful process and can be daunting, especially if you compare yourself to other people! Know that only you can be as unique as you are and where (or when) you start med school doesn't define you.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I think I have been getting down because of SDN. Seeing what other people have that I don't. I'm gonna take a break from this thread, and also probably just focus on staying here in the URM section because y'all are encouraging like family, you know?

Reactions: 6 users

Having the same feelings! I feel guilty not going to work when I'm sick, so getting to travel a bit makes me feel extra guilty. But I know that ultimately, it's the right choice for the future. And I have tried my best to make sure that when planning for interviews, things at work are covered for when I'm not there.

That's great!!! I had a similar experience this past week at a Midwestern school. A Black physician I interviewed with was really open about microagression and the racial struggles of the profession. Finding supportive staff who are willing to advocate for medical students of color is so important.

Jumping aboard the "feeling guilty about missing work" train. I told my employer I would be prioritizing interviews when the time came along, but I still feel so bad. I scheduled my interviews to make sure that it is the least disruptive possible in hopes of preventing this guilt, but it didn't work haha.

First interview in a couple days! Just got my suit back from the tailor and I look fly af, so I'm feeling good for interview numero uno.

Reactions: 8 users
So glad I'm not the only one feeling guilty re: work.

Y'all I'm a little ticked off at my significant other. We have been long distance our entire relationship. He lives in Texas. He wants me to apply to medical schools down there, but I don't see the point because I have a low MCAT, am OOS, and just don't have the energy to do more secondaries right now. I'm just annoyed because I feel like he's making my application process all about him, when I'm trying to 1) Secure an acceptance first and foremost and 2) [Should I have multiple options] Go to the school that fits me 100%. It's just really annoying.

That's really frustrating. I feel like other people sometimes don't get how much research goes into applying at medical school. I spent so much effort on my school list. It was carefully curated. I don't want someone marching in like a bull in a china shop, throwing all of my strategy and balance out the window and insisting that I MUST apply at Hogwarts School of Medicine when I already know that Hogwarts accepts 95% wizards, y'know?

But I wonder if there is a deeper issue going on here. Medicine is a bit unstable, location-wise, for a good while. Right now, none of us know what part of the country we'll be in this time next year. And then we'll probably have to move again for residency. And potentially move AGAIN once we're finally ready to practice. So what I'm wondering is, has your SO made his peace with this reality of your training?

Ugh. I haven't received any IIs and I'm freaking out! Some days I feel fine, and I forget I'm even applying. Other days I'm panicked lol.

Just got my score - MCAT=500

I'm so scared now and I don't know what to do. I have very good ECs, letters and research and a well written PS.

Any input?

Just got my score - MCAT=500

I'm so scared now and I don't know what to do. I have very good ECs, letters and research and a well written PS.

Any input?
Is there a way that you can withdraw your MD apps? I feel like you will be in a better position if you retake your MCAT, add a few more courses to pad your GPA and apply next cycle. I know that this is not what you want to hear but Medical school is a marathon, not a sprint. Put your best foot forward next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh. I haven't received any IIs and I'm freaking out! Some days I feel fine, and I forget I'm even applying. Other days I'm panicked lol.

It's early in the cycle. I would say if you're panicked definitely stay off the forums so that you don't compare yourself to others (something I'm trying to do more).

I disagree about looking into withdrawing apps. If they are already submitted, then there's no benefit to withdrawing AFAIK--you're already designated a reapplicant if you try again next year, and you've already spent the money. Might as well see how it pans out.

I'm applying as a non-trad with a similar MCAT score, and the most helpful thing I did was talk to diversity and inclusion deans at a local institution I'm affiliated with. They were able to look at my whole app, and put everything into context. I don't necessarily have good news yet (completed all secondaries just about three weeks ago now so I'm not expecting anything yet), but I did get some positive indications such as a secondary from a school known for stringent (holistic) screening. Also, look for schools that don't prioritize the MCAT as heavily--admissions officers and people in the diversity office were useful for this inside knowledge.

If you have a compelling story, tell it. Don't let the MCAT define you, and any school that lets it define you--well, it's their loss!

Looking at his post history, he has a cumulative GPA that is slightly above a 3.0 and a sub 3.0 science GPA. URM, low GPAs, and MCAT is not a recipe for success (I'm African Canadian just so you know). There is a big difference between being a reapplicant that was rejected from schools with commentary from ADCOMs explaining their final decision on the applicants' profile than being a reapplicant that had enough sense to withdraw from the app cycle before a final decision was reached with commentary from ADCOMs.

Withdrawing would show good judgment and he can improve upon his stats for the next app cycle. I gained this knowledge from the wise @gonnif. Gonnif can better explain what options azolesoul has left. The MCAT doesn't entirely define a person's capabilities of succeeding in medical school but a person still needs a decent overall package (stats and ECs) to land an acceptance.

I would strongly disagree on this. There is a huge difference is being a reapplicant between have a withdrawn application with no evaluation, scoring, and comment versus one that has been fully evaluated with details in weakness of GPA and MCAT and listing the applicant at under qualified or not qualified. This summary evaluation will be the first thing that will been seen on a reapplication.

While schools will look at application holistically, they still must reach the conclusion that the applicant is academically qualified to deal with the rigors of medical school academically. With MCAT as the only objective standardize method across applicants, it is a key factor in deciding this

I do not have the details of the OP record here other than barely over a 3.0 cGPA and less sGPA, and a poor MCAT but here is what I think.
1) Obviously, formally withdrawing all apps from schools is needed before being directly rejected. This is like resigning a job before you are fired.
2) get rid of the self-imposed time line of when you should/will apply. You apply when you have the GPA improvement and MCAT to do so.
3) You should not, repeat should not reapply next cycle. Virtually every medical school that comments on reapplicants states the most common mistake is reapplying too soon. (see below)
4) You need to do solidly well ion MCAT and to do that, you must first analyze why you did so poorly. My guess (I said guess) as a student with very weak GPA is that you have weak foundations in the basic Bio, Chem, Organic, and Physics to start. So, a full content "review" (or perhaps learning it for the first time is needed) before even considering approaching the MCAT for any sort of practice.
5) Depending on how poorly the basics have been, there may be need for either retakes, postbacc, or directed self study in this.
6) lets see an AMCAS (and ACCOMAS if applicable) GPA Grid year by year (even term by term) (see https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf)

Below is reapplicant info from the medical schools themselves. Also attached is reapplicant guide from OHSU Admissions Dean

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon

Should I do a Masters in my gap year / WAMC / advice please

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Reapplicants - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Roughly 20% of the students who apply to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in any given year are reapplicants. Data that we have collected indicate they have a lower acceptance rate than do first time applicants

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Heath
http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/md/admissions/reapplying/31716
(emphasis in the original)
There should be significant improvements in your application before reapplying. This might mean not reapplying the very next year. The most common error made by reapplicants is that they submit their next application too soon.

The Ohio State University College of Medicine
The Ohio State University College of Medicine - Tips & Advice
To maximize the chances of giving off this perception, you must allow enough time before reapplying. This will undoubtedly be the hardest part of the process, but be patient; if you rush it, you may join the ranks of those who are applying for a third time.

University of Minnesota Medical School
Re-Applicant
Though you can submit a second application immediately after your first application, you may want to consider waiting a year if you feel you need more experiences that help you demonstrate the essential and desired qualities of an ideal medical student.

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Reapplicants — admit
Our Ideal Candidate — admit

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/re-applicants/

LSU Health Shreveport
Re-Applicants

University of Missouri
http://medicine.missouri.edu/admissions/nontraditional.html

East Carolina University, Brody School of Medicine
whatif

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC)
https://www.unthsc.edu/texas-colleg...ants-home/common-mistakes-made-by-applicants/

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Guidelines_For_Success/Reapplication.htm
Thanks for the correction. OP listen to gonnif.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fellow URM's,
This is my first post, but I just received an II today! Complete 9/3, URM, 3.7/514

I wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround time, especially for a school like Dartmouth. I think my "interesting" life experiences helped (10+ siblings, grew up in underserved inner-city area, domestic violence pervaded my household, I was placed in foster care, getting assaulted at knife-point when refused to hand over my belongings, house was broken into, and a bunch of other inconveniences)

Sorry if that was too much, I'm just amping since this is my first II invite

Reactions: 20 users
Hey fellow URM's,
This is my first post, but I just received an II today! Complete 9/3, URM, 3.7/514

I wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround time, especially for a school like Dartmouth. I think my "interesting" life experiences helped (10+ siblings, grew up in underserved inner-city area, domestic violence pervaded my household, I was placed in foster care, getting assaulted at knife-point when refused to hand over my belongings, house was broken into, and a bunch of other inconveniences)

Welcome! :welcome:. Congrats on the II! Also, describing domestic violence, being assaulted at knife-point, &etc. as "inconveniences" is the understatement of the century.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey fellow URM's,

Hello and welcome =]. Congratulations on the interview! I literally just interviewed there today and it's been my least stressful one yet. My student interview (open file) was as conversational as it could get, she even offered me cupcakes haha. During my faculty interview (closed file), we just talked about random things like what we would do if we won the lottery, how the world would change if everyone were college educated and cooking. You'll have a blast :D

I GOT ACCEPTED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

Reactions: 33 users
Hi fellow URM's,

3.6 oGPA
3.51 sGPA
MCAT:502
Hispanic Male
CA resident

First time applicant and I wasn't too confident about this cycle because of my MCAT score.
Have received two II, so there is hope. Good luck to everyone !

Reactions: 10 users
Dropping in

3.7 cGPA
3.59 sGPA
519 MCAT (128/131/129/131)
Hispanic male, first generation immigrant, TX resident

3 years local pre-med chapter "medical discussions" committee organizer
340h shadowing
65h non-clinical volunteering
242h clinical volunteering
65h research

19 primaries, 6 interviews, all in-state
Crossing fingers here

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Hi! This is my first post! Trying to figure out how this works!

I am an African-American woman, first time applicant.
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT:507

I applied to 15 schools and received 14 secondaries. As of right now, I have 3 interviews! I interviewed at Pitt 2 weeks ago (feel free to ask any questions about it), and have an interview in 2 weeks for Rush Medical College, and Tulane in February. I was also rejected from Wake Forest lol. I have about 200 hours in clinical shadowing, 280 hours in previous research and am currently working full time as a research assistant since July, and 136 hours of volunteering and many ECs. I have been nervous and slightly neurotic since this application cycle started but following this thread has made me a little more at ease. Good luck to all of you! And excited to finally join this thread!

Reactions: 20 users
Interview with Washington University St. Louis! My number (3.7, 514) aren't even close to WashU's (3.9, 523) :wideyed:
However I do have a decent amount of clinical and research experience
-7 months of clinical research in the emergency department of a well known inner city level-1 trauma center hospital in Minneapolis
-3 years of research in the department of pharmacology, of the U of M medical school (no pubs, multiple presentations at conferences)
-Currently working as a lab tech in a well known inner city level-1 trauma center hospital in Minneapolis (4 months)
-Currently working as a medical scribe in a well known inner city level-1 trauma center hospital in St. Paul (4 months)
-1.5 year volunteering in the surgery lounge of another inner city hospital in Minneapolis
-1.5 years research assistant in the department of Genetics, Cell Bio, and Development

Reactions: 14 users
Hi fellow URM's,

3.6 oGPA
3.51 sGPA
MCAT:502
Hispanic Male
CA resident

First time applicant and I wasn't too confident about this cycle because of my MCAT score.
Have received two II, so there is hope. Good luck to everyone !
Hey! Congrats on your IIs! Where are they to if you don't mind me asking.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't believe it's almost October...kind of freaking out about how soon the 16th is going to roll around. I've been to 3 interviews. I feel like my first one was definitely my worst because I was nervous, but out of the 3 schools I've been to, it was my favorite. :(:oops:
Hey, from personal and SDN friends' experiences, you'll definitely feel like that a few times. You'll be surprised how many times we still get accepted even if we felt like we didn't do well. Analyse your interview and what specifically think went wrong and work to better that the next time around. That's all we can do! I pray you get good news and continue to have awesome interviews!

Reactions: 8 users
Did not realize there was a URM thread. Hispanic male here raising 3 kids. 512 mcat 3.2cGPA 3.5sGPA. Hoping to get an interview soon!

Reactions: 15 users
Had my first interview yesterday, and I felt like it went really well! And apparently, I will definitely receive either an acceptance, a rejection, or a waitlist email in about 2 weeks. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 14 users