1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

**2017-2018 URM Medical School Application Thread**

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by azolesoul, Apr 18, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BurntFlower

BurntFlower 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    GUYS, I GOT MY FIRST II!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SGRhoDoc

SGRhoDoc

Dec 21, 2016
    YASSSSSSS :clap:

BurntFlower likes this.
  4. arredand

arredand 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2015
    congrats! there will be more I am sure of it!

BurntFlower likes this.
  5. Orthopedics101

Orthopedics101 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    Ayyyy congrats!!!!!

BurntFlower likes this.
  6. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Finally! What school?

BurntFlower likes this.
  7. BurntFlower

BurntFlower 7+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2009
    MDApps:
    OUHCOM :lovey:

8. azolesoul

azolesoul

Apr 9, 2017
    I just took CASPer and I honestly don't know how to feel- the test feels so unnecessary.

Med_WannaBee and arredand like this.
  9. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I just added that school last week. Submitted the secondary yesterday

BurntFlower likes this.
  10. atlhelp

atlhelp

Jan 2, 2017
    There's no "right or wrong" response...just getting a glimpse of how you respond under pressure. I thought it was kinda fun lol but it would be good prep for any MMI interviews you go on...I'm sure you did fine!

11. azolesoul

azolesoul

Apr 9, 2017

Yeah, I think I did fine. Someone told me CASper is really not about doing well but more about weeding people out who give really outlandish responses.

I'm sure you did well too!

Kathudoo and atlhelp like this.
  12. atlhelp

atlhelp

Jan 2, 2017
    Well it's over! Let's see some II's from the schools requesting :)

13. Nathan17182

Nathan17182

Apr 23, 2016
    Do the recruitment emails actually mean anything? I've gotten a bunch of schools I am already applying to and didn't real think much of it. I just got one from Wash U and I don't think I am even remotely competitive there lol. Is there any sense in applying to schools that send them out?

14. arredand

arredand 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Depends on where it came from. If it's for diversity or from a multicultural outreach office, then I would say yes.

15. Gaby R

Gaby R

Sep 3, 2017
    Is anyone still waiting for interviews? I submitted my secondaries about two weeks ago. How long did it take for you guys to get interviews after submitting secondaries?

16. AlmostADoctor1996

AlmostADoctor1996

Mar 16, 2017
    This whole process is a waiting game. I received an interview invite about a week after I submitted at one school. At another school I have been complete for almost two months and I've still heard nothing.

17. Kgizzle

Kgizzle 5+ Year Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Just like to pop in here from time to time and just say how proud I am of the class of 2022 cohort! Y'all are amazing and I wish you all the best!

18. Nathan17182

Nathan17182

Apr 23, 2016
    I just got my first II!!!! I submitted at 3:51 and got my II at 5:17 lol. I am shocked that it was so fast??

19. scaredadvocate

scaredadvocate [redacted] 2+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Convoluted Tubule
    That's amazing!!!!

Nathan17182 likes this.
  20. scaredadvocate

scaredadvocate [redacted] 2+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Convoluted Tubule
    It means they are looking for applicants like you! If you're interested in the school, go ahead and apply.

Nathan17182 likes this.
  21. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

People on SDN need to stop trying me.

22. DocAfri

DocAfri

Jun 28, 2016
    "but I apologize if my expression somehow affected your health."
    Lmao, you savage

23. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    I couldn't help it. Like the whole tone in that post really blew me lol

24. kaymellow

kaymellow 2+ Year Member

May 25, 2015
    Soooo you're definitely from Illinois with that lingo lol!! Love it!!

Kathudoo likes this.
  25. Kathudoo

Kathudoo

May 1, 2017
    Always reppin'.

26. atlhelp

atlhelp

Jan 2, 2017
    Guys....my first rejection...on my birthday. Double sting :(

27. DocAfri

DocAfri

Jun 28, 2016
    Hey! You're not alone. It's just part of the process. We just gotta keep it moving. Go out and enjoy your birthday! Sending you good vibes and best wishes :)

28. teamoteamo

teamoteamo 2+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Where The Wild Things Are
    I'm not sure if you already interviewed/attended this reception, but I'm bringing my mom in a few weeks. We were going to be in Delaware for an event that Saturday before anyways, so I just decided to interview on that Monday. And she'll pay for the hotel, so another win lol.

29. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    It sucks! But it's still a set-up for more amazing things. You got this!

atlhelp likes this.
  30. Merodeo

Merodeo

Jan 8, 2016
    I second what DocAfri has mentioned already. I'm on my second rejection but it is part of the process! Don't let it bother ya. :)

31. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Where to?

32. fluffispearlo

fluffispearlo

Sep 9, 2016
    Uni of Iowa

DocAfri and docchocolate like this.
  33. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Nice! Congrats!!

fluffispearlo likes this.
  34. motheshow1212

motheshow1212

Jul 26, 2016
    It is all good, I am at 3 rejections right now. Bright side is the school did not leave you in Limbo and just stay silent. They did not deserve you anyway

35. azolesoul

azolesoul

Apr 9, 2017
    How wise would it be to just limit interviews to your home state? I applied across the southeast and I really don't think I can afford travel.

I haven't got interviews yet( my mcat results post on the 19th) so who knows what will happen.

36. daxlo

daxlo

Jun 28, 2016
    Also got my first rejection today!

37. Serine Minor

Serine Minor Mad scientist

Jan 13, 2017
    CONGRATS!!!! Gettem!

BurntFlower likes this.
  38. Serine Minor

Serine Minor Mad scientist

Jan 13, 2017
    I think it'd depend on your home state. If you're like me and are from Ca, you can't really afford to do that unless you're some Nobel laureate, with a 4.0 528 mcat and your mom is the President of the UC system.

If you get an interview in area where you applied to other schools, you can always send them in the area emails to save on cost.

Kathudoo and TheVisionary like this.
  39. pramsotingz

pramsotingz

May 31, 2017
    YALL. I interviewed at an NYC medical school today with a fellow African who was a clinical assistant professor and discussed institutionalize racism, health disparities and underrepresentation in medicine. It was the best interview ever because I actually could connect with who was interviewing me on a personal level and it felt great to see someone who looks like me in positions of leadership in medicine. When we're all doctors in high places one day, we have to pay it back and help aspiring URMs in the same way we have been uplifted.

40. atlhelp

atlhelp

Jan 2, 2017
    YESSSS! We need more doctors who look like us, who understand daily microaggressions, cultural stigmas, POC-specific struggles. Sounds like a great interview!

41. FlyMissMD93

FlyMissMD93

May 7, 2016
    Getting a little down and discouraged [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42. TheVisionary

TheVisionary Stay Passionate 2+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Keep your head up! Whether you haven't gotten many IIs yet, been rejected by a few places, or even worse, it's important to have an optimistic mindset. This is a really stressful process and can be daunting, especially if you compare yourself to other people! Know that only you can be as unique as you are and where (or when) you start med school doesn't define you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 11:44 AM
  43. Sir Alanna Trebond

Sir Alanna Trebond

Mar 19, 2017
    Anyone else feeling guilty about taking time off work to attend interviews? I've been very upfront with my manager from the beginning that I would be applying at medical school, there aren't any complaints about my performance, and I've been arranging for coverage. Still, I was raised to believe missing class/work/etc was just WRONG. I never missed school growing up. I guess I know my guilt is irrational but it's bothering me anyway.

On a more positive note, love seeing all the interview invites and success on here! Hopefully those of you still waiting on IIs will receive some good news soon :)

44. Orthopedics101

Orthopedics101 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor

Nov 9, 2015
    Old Trafford
    I've been upfront with my research supervisor as well and he has been beyond supportive but I do feel guilty because all this time I am taking off for interviews the next two months stalls our research project by a lot. To make up for it, I have been coming to work earlier and staying later but its still difficult especially since I am not one to take time off from work.

45. FlyMissMD93

FlyMissMD93

May 7, 2016
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. I think I have been getting down because of SDN. Seeing what other people have that I don't. I'm gonna take a break from this thread, and also probably just focus on staying here in the URM section because y'all are encouraging like family, you know?

46. docchocolate

docchocolate

Jun 2, 2017
    Having the same feelings! I feel guilty not going to work when I'm sick, so getting to travel a bit makes me feel extra guilty. But I know that ultimately, it's the right choice for the future. And I have tried my best to make sure that when planning for interviews, things at work are covered for when I'm not there.

47. Formyfuture

Formyfuture 2+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2013
    East Coast
    That's great!!! I had a similar experience this past week at a Midwestern school. A Black physician I interviewed with was really open about microagression and the racial struggles of the profession. Finding supportive staff who are willing to advocate for medical students of color is so important.

48. FlyMissMD93

FlyMissMD93

May 7, 2016
    Y'all I'm a little ticked off at my significant other. We have been long distance our entire relationship. He lives in Texas. He wants me to apply to medical schools down there, but I don't see the point because I have a low MCAT, am OOS, and just don't have the energy to do more secondaries right now. I'm just annoyed because I feel like he's making my application process all about him, when I'm trying to 1) Secure an acceptance first and foremost and 2) [Should I have multiple options] Go to the school that fits me 100%. It's just really annoying.

49. Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca

Feb 27, 2016
    Jumping aboard the "feeling guilty about missing work" train. I told my employer I would be prioritizing interviews when the time came along, but I still feel so bad. I scheduled my interviews to make sure that it is the least disruptive possible in hopes of preventing this guilt, but it didn't work haha.

First interview in a couple days! Just got my suit back from the tailor and I look fly af, so I'm feeling good for interview numero uno.

50. Sir Alanna Trebond

Sir Alanna Trebond

Mar 19, 2017
    So glad I'm not the only one feeling guilty re: work.

That's really frustrating. I feel like other people sometimes don't get how much research goes into applying at medical school. I spent so much effort on my school list. It was carefully curated. I don't want someone marching in like a bull in a china shop, throwing all of my strategy and balance out the window and insisting that I MUST apply at Hogwarts School of Medicine when I already know that Hogwarts accepts 95% wizards, y'know?

But I wonder if there is a deeper issue going on here. Medicine is a bit unstable, location-wise, for a good while. Right now, none of us know what part of the country we'll be in this time next year. And then we'll probably have to move again for residency. And potentially move AGAIN once we're finally ready to practice. So what I'm wondering is, has your SO made his peace with this reality of your training?

atlhelp and CUatthefinishline like this.